Chapter 18

Because I Miss You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jiyong’s birthday was approaching in a week’s time and Dara wanted to make it a special one, as it would be his first birthday after he stopped using the wheelchair. That weekend, Dara brought the idea up with Chaerin to discuss how best to celebrate Jiyong’s birthday at the café near Chaerin’s house.

 

“Hey Chae, Jiyong’s birthday is coming up soon. I really want to do something special for him, since he’s finally stopped using the wheelchair,” said Dara.

 

“How about throwing a party?” asked Chaerin.

 

“I don’t think Jiyong would like that. He’s never been one to like crowds,” said Dara thoughtfully.

 

“Why don’t you make something for him?” asked Chaerin. “I’m sure anything you make for him will mean the world to him.”

 

“I’ve thought about that but I don’t know what would be nice for Jiyong,” pouted Dara.

 

The pair thought hard for a few minutes before Chaerin piped up, “Do you want to try baking cookies for him?”

 

“I can’t cook to save my life, Chae. Jiyong would probably die of food poisoning if I made him anything to eat with my own hands,” replied Dara with a groan.

 

“I can teach you, Dee. I bake for my kids at the orphanage on a regular basis, though I haven’t had time to do it recently cuz of exams,” said Chaerin.

 

“Oh, will you? You’re the best, Chae! I’ll get Yejun to help as well. I think he’ll love to do something for his appa,” said Dara with a smile.

 

“I’m going to have a six-year-old run around in my kitchen? Maybe you should do something else for Jiyong instead,” said Chaerin slyly.

 

“Yah! I’ll make sure Yejun behaves. You don't need to worry about that. I’m sure he’ll be an angel if I tell him to behave,” retorted Dara.

 

“Haha! All right, I believe you. So when do you want to come over?” asked Chaerin.

 

“How about Monday 2pm? I’ll need to check with Mrs. Kim tomorrow whether it’s okay with her if I bring Yejun to my place for a few hours,” replied Dara.

 

“Sure! My house will be empty then. I’ll get all the things we need. Hopefully we’ll get everything done in one sitting,” said Chaerin.

 

Dara headed over to the orphanage the following day and knocked on Mrs. Kim’s door.

 

“Annehasaeyo, Mrs. Kim,” greeted Dara.

 

“Oh Dara, you’re here to see the kids today? They’re waking up from their nap soon,” said Mrs. Kim.

 

“No, Mrs. Kim. I’m here to see you. I wanted to ask if I can take Yejun out for a few hours tomorrow. Jiyong’s birthday is coming up and I’m planning to bake cookies for him as a gift. I want Yejun to be part of it as well, so is it all right if I take him out for a few hours?” asked Dara.

 

“Sure, Dara! I think that’s a wonderful idea. I’m sure Yejun would enjoy it as well, since he’s doing something for his appa. I think this birthday is going to be a very special one for Jiyong,” said Mrs. Kim with a twinkle in her eye.

 

“Thanks, Mrs. Kim! Could you let Yejun know that I’ll pick him up tomorrow at 1.30pm. I’ll be sure to keep a few cookies for you!” replied Dara with a laugh, as she stepped out of Mrs. Kim’s office.

 

Dara reached the orphanage the following day at 1.20pm to pick up Yejun. Yejun was already waiting excitedly at the door of the orphanage, craning his neck to see if Dara was coming.

 

“Eomma!” shouted Yejun excitedly. “Eomma, are we going to your house today?”

 

“Yes, Yejun-ah,” replied Dara, smiling at Yejun’s excitement.

 

Mrs. Kim walked out of her office and smiled at the duo.

 

“Yejun-ah, make sure you behave yourself today. There are going to be hot things like ovens today. Make sure you listen to what your eomma tells you to do and don’t be too playful, is that clear?” said Mrs. Kim firmly.

 

“Neh, Mrs. Kim. Yejun is always a good boy with eomma,” replied Yejun with a toothy smile.

 

“Good boy. Now hurry along now. Make sure you make nice cookies for your appa today!” said Mrs. Kim.

 

Yejun and Dara waved as they headed to Chaerin’s house. They reached 15 minutes later and Chaerin walked out to welcome them.

 

“Hey, Dara! Hello, Yejun!” greeted Chaerin.

 

“Annyeonghasaeyo. Park Yejun-imnida,” greeted Yejun politely.

 

“Aigoo, there’s no need to be so polite with me, Yejun-ah,” cooed Chaerin. “You can call me Chaerin-noona.”

 

“See, Chae. I told you he wouldn’t be a problem to have around,” said Dara.

 

“All right, all right,” said Chaerin. “Shall we get started?”

 

Chaerin taught Yejun to sift the flour that they needed with the sieve.

 

“Yejun-ah, noona will pour the flour into the sieve for you. You hold the sieve over the bowl and tap the side of the sieve gently. Do you understand?” instructed Chaerin.

 

“Neh~” replied Yejun.

 

After Chaerin poured the flour into the sieve, Yejun bent over the sieve with a bowl underneath and started tapping on it. Chaerin and Dara were too busy to notice until Chaerin asked, “Yejun-ah, are you done?”

 

“Neh, noona!” exclaimed Yejun in a proud voice.

 

Chaerin and Dara turned around to see his progress and started laughing until they teared, as Yejun was covered from head to neck in a thin layer of flour.

 

“Wae, eomma. Why are you all laughing? Did Yejun do something wrong?” asked Yejun.

 

“Yejun-ah. Were you leaning over the bowl when you were tapping the flour?” asked Dara between laughs.

 

“Neh~ What’s wrong with that?” asked Yejun.

 

“Anni, nothing’s wrong. Come here, Yejun-ah,” said Dara.

 

Yejun walked over to her and Dara started wiping his face with her handkerchief. “Next time, don’t put your face so close to the bowl and don’t tap the sieve so hard,” advised Dara with a laugh.

 

Yejun stood obediently as Dara cleaned off all the flour off his face. Chaerin then showed Dara and Yejun how to prepare the batter with all the necessary ingredients and demonstrated how it was to be kneaded before rolling it out and cutting it using the cookie cutters.

 

“Yejun-ah, eomma will do the kneading because I don’t think you have enough strength to do it. You can cut the batter later after the batter is ready, all right?” said Dara.

 

“Neh, eomma!” said Yejun.

 

Yejun leaned over the countertop and watched Chaerin instruct Dara on the amount of each ingredient to add and how to stir and knead the batter properly. Dara tried her best and the batter started to look promising after nearly 20 minutes. Dara flattened out the batter with a few rolls of the rolling pin and stood back in satisfaction.

 

“Yejun-ah, you can cut the batter now,” said Dara. “Which shape of cookie cutter would you like to use first?”

 

“I want to use one that represents appa. Do we have one like that, eomma?” asked Yejun.

 

“Well…” said Dara hesitantly, as she looked at the array of cookie cutters that Chaerin had bought. “Shall we use this one?”

 

Dara held up a cutter that was shaped like the letter G in front of Yejun.

 

“What shape is that, eomma? I’ve never seen it before,” asked Yejun.

 

“It’s a letter from another language, Yejun-ah. This is the seventh letter of the English alphabet. It’s pronounced “Ji”, just like your appa’s name,” explained Dara.

 

“Yay! Then Yejun wants to use that one!” exclaimed Yejun, as he took the cutter from Dara excitedly.

 

“Be carefuly, Yejun-ah. The cutter is sharp. I’ll show you how to do it first, then you can try,” said Dara.

 

Dara took the cookie cutter and gently pressed it on to the batter, which cut out a G-shaped batter. Dara lifted it gently from the bulk of the batter and placed it on the tray laced with baking paper that Chaerin had prepared, as Yejun watched attentively. Dara then handed the cutter carefully to Yejun.

 

“Now be careful Yejun-ah, only hold this side which has the safe edges for you t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter