Chapter 22

Because I Miss You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

True to Bom’s words, Dara continued to function as per normal after that fight with Kiko. After a week of seeing such behaviour from Dara, Bom finally couldn’t take it and decided to speak to Dara about it.

 

“Hey Dara, can I ask you something?” asked Bom over lunch one day.

 

“Yeah sure, what is it?” replied Dara.

 

“Are you really okay?” asked Bom hesitantly.

 

“What makes you ask that?” asked Dara.

 

“It’s… it’s just that, the previous time Jiyong rejected you, you totally closed yourself off from the world. But now, you seem so… so normal. Not that I don’t appreciate it but I’m worried about this drastic difference,” said Bom.

 

Dara took a sip of her drink, before replying, “I’ve been thinking, Bom. Maybe we really aren’t meant to be together. If Jiyong really feels that Kiko’s the right one for him, then what can I do? I’ve tried to convince him, I’ve tried my hardest to fight for him. Nothing has worked. I can’t afford to go to pieces like I did last time. I realised how selfish I was when I behaved in that way the previous time. I made so many people worry for me. You, Youngbae, Chae, eomma, Mrs. Kim and, most of all, Yejun! I need to keep it together, especially for Yejun. In fact, I’m almost thinking of cancelling my exchange for him. If Jiyong has told Yejun the truth, how can I bear the thought of him being alone thinking about the fact that his current appa has abandoned him? He’s already had to bear the pain of his parents leaving him once. How can I expect him to bear that pain a second time alone? So no, I can’t afford to break down so selfishly this time, Bom. There are people around me who love me so much that it would be completely unfair for me to hurt them by breaking down,” ranted Dara.

 

“It hurts us more to see you try to be strong for us, Dara,” replied Bom. “I’m so scared you’ll be strong for us to the extent that it’ll become too much for you to bear eventually. And while I hate what Jiyong has done to you, I agree with one point that he made. You’re not really Yejun’s eomma. You need to let go at some point.”

 

Dara closed her eyes for a while and when she reopened them Bom could tell that she was fighting back tears. “I can’t, Bom. I really can’t. Jiyong may have given up on Yejun and I but I haven’t. Yejun’s managed to mature so well under our care. I know I can’t mother him forever, Bom. But it doesn’t mean I can’t mother him for as long as I can. Yejun’s my main source of strength now, Bom. He’s the one keeping me sane now. If you’re really worried about me Bommie, then please don’t tell me to let go of Yejun now. I’ve already lost Jiyong, I can’t afford to lose Yejun too.”

 

Bom pulled Dara into a hug, as she replied, “Of course I won’t force you, dear. If you’re able to push yourself on for Yejun, then I’m more than happy for you. I just want the best for you, Dara.”

 

“I know, Bommie. Thank you so much. I can’t imagine how I would have survived all this without you,” replied Dara.

 

Bom patted Dara on her nape before pulling out of the hug. “Are you going home now?”

 

“Anni~ I’m going to visit Yejun now. Mrs. Kim told me Jiyong went to see him a few days ago. I’m worried about what Jiyong told Yejun,” replied Dara.

 

“Would you like me to come along with you?” offered Bom.

 

“Sure, if you have time to spare,” replied Dara with a smile.

 

Both of them set off for the orphanage. Naptime was just about to start for Yejun but he bounced happily up to Dara when she appeared with Bom at the main gate.

 

“Eomma!” cheered Yejun brightly.

 

“Yejun-ah!” replied Dara.

 

Mrs. Kim came out of her office at that moment and Dara turned to greet her. “Annehasaeyo, Mrs. Kim. I’m sorry, is Yejun due for his nap now?”

 

“It’s all right, Dara. He can talk for a few minutes,” replied Mrs. Kim.

 

“Thanks, Mrs. Kim,” said Dara, before turning to Yejun. “Yejun-ah, have you been okay recently?”

 

“Of course, eomma. Why do you ask?” asked Yejun.

 

“Did your appa come visit you recently?” asked Dara tentatively.

 

“Neh~ Jiyong hyung came to see me a few days ago,” replied Yejun.

 

“Jiyong-hyung? Why do you call him that suddenly, Yejun-ah?” asked Dara.

 

“Jiyong-hyung doesn’t want to be my appa anymore,” replied Yejun tearfully. “He said he’s leaving soon and not coming back.”

 

“Aigoo, Yejun-ah,” said Dara, as she hugged him tightly. “Listen Yejun-ah, if eomma doesn’t have to go away for the next few months, would that make you happy?”

 

“Neh!” replied Yejun immediately.

 

Dara smiled at Yejun and patted his head gently.

 

“But eomma, why would you suddenly not have to go away?” asked Yejun.

 

“I don’t want you to be alone, Yejun-ah,” replied Dara.

 

Yejun stared into the distance for a while before asking, “Eomma, if you go, will you come back?”

 

“Of course, Yejun-ah! Eomma just doesn’t want you to be alone again,” replied Dara.

 

“But eomma, you sounded like you really wanted to go for this trip,” said Yejun.

 

“It’s all right, Yejun-ah,” replied Dara with a smile.

 

“Anni~ It’s not all right, eomma! Yejun doesn’t want eomma to miss out on a chance like this! Eomma was looking forward t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter