Maturity Level: High Schoolers

Smoke and Mirrors

The food that Hawthorne had cooked was quickly devoured and everyone had moved from the dining room table to sit around the coffee table on the floor and couch and chairs. That's where the boys decided that Angie and Hawthorne needed to be to open their present. Hawthorne eyed the box almost skeptically while Angie was doing the same to the boys. They had been told not to worry about a gift and that they really didn't need anything but for some reason there was still this big box that took two of them to carry. What the hell could possibly be in it.

"Just open it already Noonas!!!" Yoonsan was apparently not a very patient person and Angie just sent him a look that screamed 'Shut up I don't trust you!' while Hawthorne just sighed and began unwrapping the box. As soon as the girls had the top of the box off both of their jaws dropped.

"You're kidding me right? Why the hell did you give us all of this? Do you really think we need it?" Hawthorne gave the boys an incredulous look as she pulled out the HotShot tees and cds and other merch.

"Well there's more but we also thought that maybe you'd like to support your first friends that you made in Korea. Just saying, Noona you really are a killjoy. We thought you'd appreciate it," Junhyuk sent Hawthorne the most overly dramatic hurt look that he could, hand over his heart and all, while she just glared at him.

"Angie Noona? Do you like it?" Hojeong asked sheepishly from his spot on the floor.

"I.... I just... I don't even know how to thank you! I'm so happy!" Angie looked almost on the verge of tears which made Hawthorne roll her eyes. Sure, she probably would have acted that way had it been some Bangtan Sonyeondan or Monsta X or BigBang merch but she just wasn't that big into HotShot. Of course she would wear it to support them since they had become her friends but she wasn't nearly as happy as Angie was.

"See Thorn Noona! Angie Noona likes it! Why don't you?" KidMon said while pouting.

"I'm just not that big of a HotShot fan guys," Hawthorne heard the collective gasp from the boys. She again just rolled her eyes.

"Well whatever. Just get to the bottom of the box dammit," You could always count on Timoteo to want to get it over with. Hawthorne silently thanked him for preemptively stopping the agrument that was about to happen.

"Yeah Noonas! That's not all it was! We got you more!" Sungwoon was practically bouncing off his chair with excitement. 

Hawthorne went back to the box and removed what was left of the HotShot merch and froze when she saw what else they had been given. It was a beautiful small traditional Korean chest. It was black with silver hardware and with what looked like abalone and mother of pearl embedded in it to create a scene of a woman in a traditional hanbok and a man dressed similarly on the opposing door with a river scene in the background. It was gorgeous. 

After Hawthorne got it out of the box and set in front of her, she kneeled, bringing a hand to . She couldn't believe that they had actually gotten them something this beautiful. It honestly looked hand crafted and must have cost a fortune. She just couldn't believe it, this was just too much.

"You guys didn't have to get us this! This is too much!" Hawthorne felt tears begin pooling in her eyes when the boys just gently smiled at her.

"Well I figured you'd rather have something like this than the HotShot merch. I knew Angie would like the merch but I thought maybe you'd like something different. And don't worry. It really wasn't that big of a deal. The Ahjumma at the store gave us a really good deal," Junhyuk smiled a cute eye smile at her and she almost broke into full blown sobs. Hawthorne couldn't believe he had thought that deeply about what to get her! Angie came over and patted her shoulder smiling a huge smile at her friend.

"You can keep that in your room so long as I get my pick of the merch," Angie laughed at the face that Hawthorne made. Utter disbelief. That's all that could describe what Hawthorne felt. Most people would think it's really weird how ridiculously happy this simply chest made Hawthorne react this way but it meant more than anyone could ever imagine to her.

"Noona, why do you look like you're about to cry?" Yoonsan had the most confused look on his face as he eyed the girl.

"Well, when I was seven the house I grew up in burned to the ground. My Halabeoji had given me a chest like this and it had been the only thing that I had of his. It was completely destroyed and he died shortly after the fire actually. I've always wanted to get another but they're so expensive that I could never afford the one I wanted. You have no idea how happy this makes me," Hawthorne turned to the chest and began to fiddle with one of the mother of pearl in lays. "I wonder..."

With a light knocking sound a secret door on the side opened. Hawthorne saw all the boys eyes widen, she was sure that they were all mimicking her current expression.

"How did you know it did that? The Ahjumma said that they were the only ones to make them like that! She had to show me like eight times before I got it! I was going to surprise you with it!" Junhyuk gave Hawthorne a pout. 

"Well it's just like, and I mean just like, the chest my Halabeoji gave me. It even had this secret door," Hawthorne felt more than saw the other boys give an eye roll in her and Junhyuk's direction. It made her chuckle.

"Come on guys! Let's stop with the presents and get to the soju!!!" KidMon threw his arms up in what Hawthorne guessed was supposed to be an excited gesture but looked more like he was just being an impatient four year old.

"Alright, alright. Go on open up the soju then I'm going to go put this in my room really quick before someone manages to break it," Hawthorne grabbed the small chest but was quickly stopped by Junhyuk who simply picked it up and started walking towards her room. "I could have done it myself! I'm a strong independent woman who don't need no man!

"Mwoh?" Junhyuk just gave her a confused look as she opened the door to her room that had luckily not been unpacked long enough for her to make a mess of it.

"Nothing don't worry about it... Just sit it down over by the windows. I think I'm going to make a reader's nook there," Junhyuk nodded and placed the chest down in the corner next to her window wall.

"So I heard you've got an audition tomorrow. Are you ready?" Junhyuk walked over and patted Hawthorne on the head gently.

"I guess so. It's the first company that has comedian's in it to have an open audition and I'm not really sure what to expect. I'm kind of hoping they don't ask for a bunch of stand up though because I haven't had time to prepare that in Korean and the jokes really don't transfer well considering Korean and American cultures are so ridiculously different," Hawthorne sighed and flopped onto her bed for a brief moment leaning back on her hands to look at the vaulted ceiling.

"Well if it's any comfort I think you're funny even when you're not trying so I think you'll be fine," Junhyuk gently sat himself next to her leaning his elbows on his knees and turning his head to watch her.

"Yeah but practically anything makes you laugh, these judges might be a bit harder to crack," Hawthorne chuckled lightly thinking about how she had made him laugh one day with an inter connected joke. It was really ridiculous.

"Well I've only laughed like that with you and the guys. Most people don't usually make me laugh that easily," Junhyuk looked away trying and failing to hide the crimson creeping up his neck. Hawthorne saw the tips of his ears turn a bright red color and decided to ignore the undertones of what he had to say and just try to make this less awkward.

"No need to be embarassed. It's a good thing to be an easy laugher. Is that even what it is? Is that a word?" Hawthorne chuckled again and went to full blown laughs as Junhyuk joined in finally turning back to look at her. He stared into her eyes for a little bit longer than Hawthorne felt was necessary but soon regained his composure and stood up just as the door was flung open.

"Come on guys! We're going to play drunk truth or dare!" Sungwoon looked like a kid on Christmas morning with how much he was bouncing up and down.

"Are you kidding me? Isn't that like the tropiest thing we could possibly do? Are we in high school now?" Hawthorne rolled her eyes and made her way out the door following Sungwoon to the living room with Junhyuk following after a quick deep sigh.

"Aw come on Eomma! Stop being such a killjoy!" Angie was super giggly. How much had she drank in the time that Hawthorne and Junhyuk had been in the bedroom?

"Oh Lord... You guys know she's a super light weight right? Like has drank maybe twice this year and had two beers and almost passed out," Hawthorne rolled her eyes and sat as far away as humanly possible away from the drunk Angie.

"Hey! It was three beers and two shots!" Angie giggled in protest.

"Those were shots of water and a rootbeer. You had two beers," Hawthorne dead panned. Angie just shrugged and took the shot glass from Yoonsan and downed it in one go. 

"Dear god let me catch up now. Give me four shots and that cola over there," Though staring at her wide eyed Hojeong did as he was asked and before the boys knew it they had watched Hawthorne down all four shots of soju and was draining the bottle of cola to rid of the burning sensation. It was going to catch up to her in a few minutes. "Okay. You want to act like teenagers? Let's do it but I'm asking first. Yoonsan, truth or dare?"

"Dare," Yoonsan had no idea what he was in for. Hawthorne was going to make his and Angie's night one that she probably wouldn't even remember the next day. Hawthrone shot the boy her most evil smirk.

"I dare you to keep some form of skinship with Angie for the rest of the night. I'll allow for bathroom breaks and the such. Penalty for not doing it is going to be one good hard hit from the rest of us," Yoonsan's jaw dropped and Hawthorne's smirk grew to a full blown manic smile. None the less, Yoonsan reached over and grabbed Angie's hand and held it in his lap, fearing the hits that would happen if he didn't. He had accidentally been on the receiving end of a thrown elbow from Hawthorne and knew she would have no problem repeating it should he not follow through. "Okay you're turn to ask someone San."

The night went on in a similar fashion until finally everyone was very drunk either from penalties or just because they were drinking on their own. Junhyuk was up and so far he had been Hawthorne's greatest helper in making Angie and Yoonsan be all coupley and , Hawthorne was highly anticipating this round. They had yet to make them full blown kiss but they had now been forced to sit with Angie on San's lap and had been hugging and being cute every time the got dared.

"San, truth or dare?" Junhyuk had that glint in his eye and it made Hawthorne smile like a maniac again.

"Truth this time," Oh so San thought that this would be that easy? Hawthorne giggled which turned into maniacal laughter due to the amount of alcohol in her system. She heard Angie giggling too from her place on San's lap. That girl was absolutely trashed and Hawthorne wasn't even all that sure how she was. She'd only had two more shots since they had started the game.

"What are your true feelings for Angie? Penalty for not telling or for lying is having to kiss Angie full on the lips," Hawthorne's eyes widened. Junhyuk was a genius. This was the perfect catch 22. If he wanted out he'd have to kiss her and at this state he was going to just let his full feelings show in that kiss but if he told the truth and Angie managed to remember the next day... Well let's just say Hawthorne was really hoping that Angie would remember this.

"I really like her. As a woman."

Hawthorne and Junhyuk's jaws dropped. Wow. Hawthorne broke out her phone really quick and the camera.

"Say that one more time for me San?" San looked right at her with Angie's head resting on his shoulder with her eyes shut, not even hearing what was going on.

"I really like Angie Noona. As a woman."

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N Well guess what? You get to find out what company Hawthorne's auditioning for next chapter! And Guess who's gonna finally make an appearance????!!!! I'm super excited! Sorry it took so long. I was trying to figure out a way to be less tropey for this chapter and it didn't work so I guess this is what I'm going with now lol. As Always Thank You for Reading! Kamsamnida!