9. Hansol --> Love in school hallways

NCT One-Shot Collection ^^
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

He was beautiful.

That was all I noticed. For the five to ten seconds I saw him everyday, his physique was perfect. A teenager like him was capable of putting everyone to shame. Difficult, but yet it seemed almost natural to the senior. His steps were always graceful, as his strides remained swift and equal.

I saw him everyday, but I doubt he even noticed me. Following fourth block, I would always take the same stairs everyday which led closest to my locker. But what I soon discovered was that no one ever occupied the stairway whenever I walked through, asides from him. He would stay in his respective place to the right while coming down, myself going up. The collar of his polo shirts were always slightly popping up, as if he had not even attempted to join the trend of "collar popping". Everything he did just appeared natural.

His dark blonde hair was mussed, but every strand was in its destined place. He didn't even have to try, and he managed to pull off that indifferent, suave look every teenage guy desired. Of course, he was the only one who truly accomplished it. Any other guy looked like a mouse next to him. A disheveled mouse…

It was driving me crazy. For the last three months, I would pass him in the stairwell. I would stare at him as long as possible, but his eyes never turned to the side. Instead, he focused on his path straight ahead, undeterred by outside forces.

All my friends and I noticed him. In fact, my best friend Ji Young seemed to have the same attraction to him as I did. Unfortunately for us, it appeared that he held no interested for us whatsoever. Never had I heard him say a single word to anyone asides from his own friends. Never had I seen him around town on the weekends, or at the movie theatres. It was as if he refused to mingle with society.

I knew he was out of my league. He had girls pining after him left and right, but he paid no heed to any single one of them. His friends all consisted of guys. If anything, I had never seen him speak to anyone of the opposite and never would.

Or so I thought…

---------------------------------------------

 

It was a Friday afternoon, one of the dreariest days of the week. Sure, it was excellent that the weekend was right around the corner. But time appeared to travel slower as the clock inched towards the 2:27 mark. It never seemed to arrive no matter how hard I stared at the analog clocks above the doors of my classrooms.

By now, fourth block was over (finally) and I was making my usual route up to my locker. I pushed open the door next to the main entrance which led to one of the more abandoned stairwells in our school. It was baffling why this was never used asides myself and… him. It was one of the most convenient and cut through at least half the school.

People.

Sighing, I shifted my Physics binder and textbook from my right arm to my left. After a relatively devastating fall down the stairs, my knee was wrapped twice with ace bandages. My right hand replaced the usage of my right leg as I limped my way up the stairs. I'd definitely have to take the time to find a security guard on the way down to band…

Suddenly, the weight from my left hand disappeared. I looked down in shock to see my books no longer in my grasp. I glanced to my left, nearly toppling over when I saw him holding my books in the crook of his arm. Hansol was holding my books.

Oh God.

"You don't have to…" I muttered, tucking a loose strand of hair behind my ears. I didn't want to focus all my attention on his face, I needed to do something else with my fingers. I knew if I got too distracted with his features, I'd do something incredibly stupid.

He merely shook his head, a low laugh sounding from deep within his throat. "No." His voice was mellow and soothing, almost making me melt into mush on the spot. "You're limping, it's the least I can do."

I let his voice wash over my body. It had this calming effect on me as I pushed down any refutations waiting to arise from my vocal chords. I ended up nodding and continuing my way up the last few steps. He walked slowly besides me, making sure to not rush my steady stride. He pushed open the door, almost hitting a few people who had unfortunately gotten in the way. The victims turned to yell at their aggressor, but when the saw it to be Hansol, they quickly shuffled away.

Like I said, no one dares to say anything bad to him.

It was almost awkward to walk next to him. Everyone was staring at me in bewilderment, wondering how a girl had managed to stand next to the Ji Hansol for more than twenty seconds continuously. He was known for shutting out the female race.

"Where exactly are you going?" he spoke, his baritone voice ringing gently in my ears. I was almost spellbound by his voice, before I realized I actually needed to respond to his question. I immediately blushed and pointed in the general direction of the world language hallway.

"Next to mathematics room." I replied as he nodded in response. If he had noticed my delayed reaction, he said nothing of it. I had come to the realization that he never said anything more than he had to. He didn't even ask me how I had injured myself, or when unlike most others who probe until they find the answers. Hansol… he just did it because he felt an obligation to, no questions asked.

We walked in silence, or more like he glided while I gimped, to my locker. One of my friends, Johnny, was at his own locker besides me. I began fishing around with the combination as Hansol leaned against the locker to my right. Johnny suddenly looked up and grinned at me. "What's up?" he asked, as my locker gently clicked open.

I shrugged and swung my bag in front of my body to put away my extra books. "Nothing really. Physics was as usual."

Johnny was about to respond, but he quickly froze. He was glancing over my shoulder as I followed his line of vision. I shouldn't have been surprised to see him focusing on Hansol, who stood over me holding my text books out at me. I graciously took my supplies as I nodded at him. "Thank you." I whispered appreciatively. No words could actually express the gratitude I held for him. He could have easily let me be and allow me to struggle up the remaining stairs and doors that would stop my progress. Instead, he had (on his own will) decide to aid me in my troubles.

I couldn't thank him enough.

"You're welcome." He replied, before turning to his left and down the stairs. I stood there in silence, wondering if he would come back and ask me for my name, or anything. But no, he had disappeared and it wasn't until Johnny punched me in the shoulder when I finally snapped out of it.

"Since when were you guys friends?" he laughed, grabbing the water bottle on the top shelf of my locker. He handed it to me as I shoved it into my bag.

"Since never." I shrugged, shutting the door. "I was limping up the stairs and he just automatically turned to help me with my extra books. He doesn't even know who I am, which is why it surprises me."

"Hmm." He sighed, tapping his chin in mock thought. "Maybe, Ji's finally coming out of his shell. Maybe, he wants to be a part of society again."

I punched him in the arm as he walked into his classroom, his laughter ringing down the hallways.

 

----------------------------------------------------

 

The next day I made my usual route up the desolate staircase. Except this time, I wasn't the only one to walk up. I looked to my right to see an unfamiliar guy walking besides me. "You." He said quietly. 

I looked at him oddly, but reached around to him to grip the railing to my right. Seeing my handicap, the guy quickly moved around me to my left so I could move without trouble. "Yeah." I shrugged, hobbling uncomfortably up the stairs. For some reason, the pain in my knee was greater than yesterday's, as I squirmed under the other guy's scrutinizing eyes. I never functioned properly under inspection… "Can I help you with something?"

"Yuta." I stumbled as I heard his voice again. I looked up and saw Hansol standing next to who I now knew as Yuta. Hansol remained calm and collected, but there was an annoyed looking creeping on his face. "What are you doing?"

"Curiosity." Yuta said, glancing back at me. "When was the last time you talked with a girl?"

Hansol sighed, and ran a hand through his blond hair. It left it unruly, but it looked perfect on him. My breath hitched slightly as his eyes focused on me. It wasn't an unknown fact to me that I was attracted to him, more so than he was to me (obviously). This sudden attention was baffling, but who was I to complain? I'd wanted him to see me at least once before graduation, and now it was happening.

"Not now, Yuta." He said. "If you were so interested, you could've asked me yesterday during fifth block. Plus, she's injured." He jerked his head in my direction. "If you actually cared, you would've helped her carry her stuff. It's the last you could've done."

With that said, Hansol continued down the stairs to my disappointment. Whoever this Yuta person was, he had ruined any chance of me walking with Hansol again. But I felt my books being plucked from my hold as Yuta continued walking in front of me. He strolled at a slow pace, being sure not to get too far ahead of me. After thanking him for holding the door open for me, I quickly looked at him.

He had brown hair and had quite a lean,strong build. He must have caught me looking, for his brown eyes locked with my own. I blushed and looked down, an effect that seemed to take place only talking with this group of people. "We're best friends." He answered for me, as if understanding the question in my mind. "He hasn't talked with girls ever since middle school which was why it was such a shock when I saw the two of you walking together through the science wing. He shouldn't be surprised I noticed and questioned."

I nodded at his explanation. How could I have never noticed him before? If Yuta was in fact his best friend, how come I never saw him walking besides Hansol before? "I just transferred here this week." Yuta suddenly said as I did a double take. "I used to attend High school in Japan. Hansol convinced my parents that I hated it there, which I honestly did. So, I'm finally here."

I was speechless as I gaped at him. I must have stopped walking, for he nudged me lightly with his shoulder. Picking up my stature, I paused in front of my locker without seeing Johnny next to me. "How the hell did you know what I wanted to ask you?" I muttered, swiftly opening my locker.

Yuta let out a laugh, a gentle laugh . "It wasn't that difficult." He handed me my Physics books as I threw it in. "The confusion on your face was evident. Plus, who wouldn't be curious about the almighty Ji Hansol?"

True, true.

I shut my locker and turned to him. Leaning my shoulder against the metal wall, I crossed my arms. "Question. Since you seem to be a little more open than Hansol." He scoffed incredulously, but allowed me to continue. "Does he know my name?"

It was silent for a moment, before he gave me the dreaded answer. "No." he shook his head. "Hansol stopped focusing on girls a while ago. If a girl isn't sitting around him during class, then he wouldn't know her name. Have you ever had a class with him?"

When I told him that I hadn't, Yuta let out a sigh. "Well, to tell you the truth, that's why he doesn't know. Don't expect him to ever know, either. If you ever had your hopes up, you should probably stop. It won't work." He paused for a moment, glancing down at his cell phone for the time. "You seem like a nice enough girl. I don't want you to get hurt by him. Even if he doesn't try, it still happens. I can't stop you, but…" I looked at him, wanting him to continue. "God, the female persuasion." He muttered, letting out a low chuckle. "Don't tell me that I didn't warn you."

He walked away, brushing my shoulder gently with his own as he walked down the same stairs Hansol had the previous day. And again, he left me to think over everything by myself.

----------------------------------------------------

 

Apparently, my gimping around the school without proper support resulted in me further damaging my knee. Now, I was forced to wear a real brace and not just a few ace bandages. I found it even more difficult to walk as I literally jumped up the stairs with my right foot dragging behind me. At the rate I was going at, I knew I would be late for band. 

I looked down to be cautious of where the steps were. Knowing my luck, I'd trip on my own feet and break another bone. Suddenly, a pair of Adidas sneakers appeared on the step in front of me. Startled, I glanced up to see those dark brown eyes staring me down. He reached and grabbed my books from me and used his other free arm to hold onto my upper arm. I instantly stiffened as the contact sent an electrical spark through my entire system.

Hansol must have noticed this for he quickly pulled back, to my disappointment. I continued to stumble my way up the stairs as he stood beside me. His hand was in front of his body, ready to catch me in case I fell backwards and plummeted down to my death. Fortunately, I managed to make my way to the top without further injury as I limped to the door. I tried to pull it open while walking through, but that didn't exactly work out so well. In the end, he ended up holding it for me as I ambled through not quite as gracefully as him.

Eyes were focused on us again as he walked with me down the hall. I must have looked like a fool with him in my presence. Physically, Hansol never made errors. His actions were precise and articulate, while I just looked like a bumbling drunk following his footsteps. He must have noted my discomfort, for he glanced at me from the side. I tried to keep my eyes straightforward, but I couldn't help but look back at him.

His eyes were questioning, yet indifferent as I stopped. I opened my mouth to talk, but he quickly shook his head. I didn't really know how to respond to that. His eyes were fixated on me as he began to speak. "Don't." he said so deeply and quietly, I leaned in further to hear his words. "I know what you're going to ask. Don't ask it."

He continued walking away, as I tried to keep up. His shoulders were tense and square, but I soon saw them loosen up. Hansol turned around, and waited for me to catch up to him. When I was within hearing range of him, his fingers gracefully touched my elbow, urging me to walk on.

Reaching my locker, we went through the tradition of him handing me the books, me throwing it in, before he disappeared down the stairs again. I would stand there for a few seconds before walking into the closest classroom for a set of elevator keys. But the entire time, I couldn't get him out of my mind. Without him even knowing it, he was haunting my dreams constantly. He was always there as my imagination carried us to another world.

But it was only a dream, my imagination… what should I expect?

The next few weeks went by in a blur. I would come out of my Physics room and walk up the same empty staircase. Halfway, Hansol would quietly meet me and take my books out of my hands as I limped up the stairs. When we reac

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter