13. Ten --> Looks aren't everything

NCT One-Shot Collection ^^
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A tangle of dark brown hair and falling bobby pins rush past Mr. and Mrs. Kim.

"She's going up to her room to study?" Mr. Kim asks his wife, sipping a cup of his daily coffee.

Mrs. Kim pushes a stray piece of her dark brown hair out of her face and tucks it behind her ear. She looks up at him from her work. "I assume so, honey. Why don't you go check?"

"No need," he answers, putting his glasses down as he rakes a hand through his brunette hair. "Y/N's a good kid; of course she's doing her homework. What else could she be doing?"

And with that, her parents went back to their daily work.

Upstairs, Y/N quickly got out her books, fumbling with them as she tries to lay them on her bed. Her dark brown hair falls over her face in a mess and her hazel eyes looking rushed.

Hurry up, hurry up! Jaehyun gets home any minute from basketball practice! Imagine him all sweaty and glistening… She smiles at the thought, taking out sheets of paper from her binder.

She rushes to the bathroom to take out her contacts, replacing them with her glasses. While there, she takes a double check on her appearance. She scowls at the mirror. Quickly, she takes out the bobby pins in her tangled hair. "Ow," she mutters, yanking on her tangled hair. She combs her hands through once, then satisfied, she smiles. She stares at the lip gloss on her bathroom sink. Well, it wouldn't hurt… but what's the point? He never looks over anyway. She ignores the glittery gloss and runs out of the bathroom and launches herself onto the bed.

Her body is angled towards her window, along with her pile of homework. She ignores the homework, however, her eyes glued to the window. Lucky Y/N has a front row seat to watch Jung Jaehyun do his usual push-ups and sit-ups after his practice. The only thing downside about this is when Jaehyun takes a girl home. Then it's not so fun and she closes the curtains.

Usually, the curtains are never opened or closed. They're closed with a small slip through them so she could see Jaehyun perfectly. She always remembers exactly where he does his push-ups. Y/N sighs contently at the fond memories.

She curls up onto her bed, getting ready for the show. She finds as a surprise, instead of one hot guy, two hot guys! She grins. The more, the better!

Jaehyun leaves the room, leaving the other hot guy. I'll call him Hottie until I figure out his name, she tells herself. Hottie looks around the room, sitting on the bean bag in front of the TV. He continues looking around, until he sees something curious. Wonder what he's looking at… He walks up to the window, peering out. Her eyes widen. He couldn't have seen her, right?

Luckily, his friend reenters the room, calling Hottie away. He seems reluctant to follow, but does so anyway. They talk and Hottie nods. Jaehyun leaves first, but Hottie stays behind. He looks out the window again amusedly. Then, he turns around and grabs a piece of paper and pen, scribbling words onto it. Y/N tries to make them out, but she is too far away. But it doesn't matter – he pushes the paper up against the window for her to see.

We're going to play basketball out back. You can watch him from your backyard I bet.

She blinks, completely taken back. He caught her! Oh my gosh, is he going to tell Jaehyun? she asks herself, scared. No! He'll laugh at me! Terrified, she walked over to the curtain and pulls it closed shut.

She gets back to her homework reluctantly, but all she could see is Hottie's face as he holds up the paper with those deadly words.

 

-------------

 

The next day at school, she sees Hottie again. Terrified of him recognizing her, she avoids him every time she sees him in the halls. Please say he didn't tell Jaehyun! Please!

She doesn't rush home today. She decides to give up on watching Jaehyun. He probably closes his curtains nowadays. She sighs sadly, fumbling with her keys. But she sees a shadow above her. Startled, she spins around. Huh?

Hottie is right in front of her, grinning amusedly. "Hi. I don't think we've met, but I'm Ten." His hands are in his pocket casually.

She stares at him, shocked out of her mind. She's completely lost for words, but after some time, they come to her in a rush. "I'm Y/N."

"So, your room's across from Jaehyun's?" he asks casually, but his grin gives him away.

She blushes, looking down. "Uh, yeah."

"And does he know that you watch him?" he asks, still in a very casual voice. She hates it. You know I do! Why are you asking me this? Are you trying to blackmail me? She feels horrible now.

"No," she mumbles. No use denying it; she was caught in the action.

Hottie, whose name is now discovered to be Ten, laughs. It's a light sound, not harsh and cruel like she expects. Surprised, she meets his dark eyes.

Timidly, she asked quietly, "Did you tell him?"

He shakes his head, still watching her with clear amusement in his eyes.

"Are you going to?" she asks, with a sad sigh. There goes my life down the drain.

"No," he replies.

She blinks, clearly surprised by his honest confession. "Why not?"

"Well, I doubt you'd like that," he starts. "And Jaehyun has a big mouth. So if I did, by tomorrow, it'd be all over the school."

She shudders, seeing the headlines on the school paper: Nerd Y/N Watches Jung Jaehyun Out of Her Window!

"And Joy would probably tear you apart," he adds in.

She shudders again. She forgot about Joy, Jaehyun's girlfriend. She always does whenever she watches Jaehyun. Probably a bad idea, however, because Joy will fight for her man no matter what.

He laughs softly. "So don't worry about it; your secret's safe with me."

She attempts to smile at him. "Thanks."

He smiles back at her. "No problem, Y/N."

Y/N shivers unintentionally; she loves the way her name sounds as he says it.

He takes a step back now. "Well, I've got to go play basketball with Jaehyun again. You gonna watch?" He smirks at their inside joke.

She shakes her head. "Uh, I have homework."

"I doubt you like that very much," he answers, reading her mind.

She tries to act like she does though. "I'm a nerd, remember? Of course I do."

He smiles charmingly. "I don't think you're a nerd, Y/N. You're just smarter than the usual. And besides, not all nerds like homework."

She smiles at this. He doesn't seem so bad actually… "Thanks."

"No problem, Y/N. See you later, okay?" he says, walking off.

She nods. "Uh, sure." He wants to talk to me again? The thought both elates and frightens her.

She finds her key and stumbles into her house, closing the door behind her. "Hey Mom. Hey Dad." She smiles at them, walking up the stairs.

Mr. Kim stares at his daughter as she leaves then looks at his wife. "That's strange. Y/N never greets us when she gets home."

Mrs. Kim waves it off. "Probably doesn't have as much homework to do today, so she isn't in a rush."

Mr. Kim suspects something funny about his daughter, but doesn't disagree.

Upstairs, Y/N gets her homework out slowly. She sighs. I guess my latest hobby is now over. She walks over to her curtain to close it all the way when she sees Jaehyun. He's grabbing something by the window when he spots her. Y/N's eyes widen but she can't move.

He smirks. Apparently, he doesn't look shocked. "Hey," he mouths, grabbing the basketball from under his table.

She blinks and manages a wave. Can this really be happening? After all these years, he catches me now?

He nods at me in a gesture of "later" before walking out of the room, sending her one more smirk when he reaches the door. Then he closes the door behind him and runs downstairs.

Slowly, she closes the curtain. Oh. My. Gosh. Jaehyun smirked at me! And acknowledged me! A smile spreads across her features as she sits on her bed. This is an insane day…

 

---------------

 

Y/N slumps down the halls tiredly. Finally, school's over…

She turns the corner, and finds the biggest shock of her life: Jaehyun, Joy, and Ten arguing! What the heck is happening?! She steps back into the corner. Should I listen? I mean, I don't want to be all nosy… but still… She listens discreetly.

"What the hell?! Why all of the sudden?! We were supposed to have dinner tomorrow night!" Joy screeches.

"Because I felt like it," comes Jaehyun's cold voice.

Joy lets out an exasperated scream. "Ugh! JAEHYUN! You are so frustrating! I NEVER want to see you again!" And with that, Joy storms out of the hallway.

Ten just shakes his head at Jaehyun, and walks away in pity. Jaehyun scoffs, rolling his eyes. After a moment, he says, "You can come out now."

Y/N's mind freezes, but her legs don't. They walk out of the corner she was hiding in and stop a couple of feet away from him.

He grins arrogantly. "Come closer, girl. I don't bite…" he smirks deviously, "yet."

Y/N's eyes widen but she walks a foot closer. He rolls his eyes and walks towards her in long strides.

He smirks, grabbing the side of her arms. "You're names Y/N, right? And you live by me, correct?"

Speechless, she blinks a couple of times to make sure she's awake then nods once.

"Cool. So, how'd you like to watch a movie with me later?" he asks.

Again, not knowing how to pronounce clear words around the hot jock, she nods.

"Pick you up at seven, then," he says, leaning down to kiss her cheek.

She watches as he walks off. Then, her arm lifts as she touches the cheek where he kissed her. She smiles softly at the thought. Dazed, she walks off.

 

-----------------------

 

That night, she spends the time from getting home until 6:45 getting ready. She dabs on lipstick, then covers it with lip gloss for a gorgeous shimmer. She put on eyeliner, then decides that that's enough make-up. She finds her best skirt – a purple skirt that reached her knees and flows when she spins or turns. She took out a white blouse with a floral, intricate design decorating the collar and the bottom. Satisfied, she ties up her hair in a bun with loose strands covering her face. She smiles at her reflection. For once, she feels… pretty.

At 7:05, he comes dressed in a casual shirt and loose jeans. He smirks when he takes a good look at her. "You look good."

She blushes, smiling. "Thanks. You do too."

"Thanks" he says, leading them to his car parked on his driveway.

They drive there is silence, his music blasting the whole way. She doesn't mind though – if they tried to small talk, she probably wouldn't be able to enunciate anything correctly.

They get there and find their seats. "What movie are we watching?" she asks.

"Train to Busan" he answers. "I'll be right back. I'm going to go buy snacks."

She nods quietly. She doesn't like horror movies… but she guesses she can endure it for him. She leans against the armrest, and hears something vibrate. She looks over to his seat and sees his cell phone. Curiously, she picks it up. It must have dropped out of his back pocket, she thinks. She frowns, knowing she shouldn't read it. But it's an iPhone, so the text pops up anyway.

Ten
I still don't think u should go thru with this! Y/N's a good girl! And Joy's crushed! You're being a real player right now, Jaehyun!

She blinks, confused. A real player? Go through what? Frowning, she puts the phone down.

Looking around to see if he was coming, she grabs the phone and quickly texted a reply. She can't help it – she's terribly curious!

What r u talking about? Go through what? And how am I being a player?

She presses send and put the phone on his seat again. A couple of minutes pass by until she hears his phone vibrate. She leans over casually and reads it, trying to look casual and inconspicuous.

Ten
Don't act stupid with me, Jaehyun. We both know you're just using Y/N 'cause you think she'll be "easy". But I'm warning you: don't hurt her!

Her eyes sa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter