Chapter one

Now [Troublemaker]

 “Byeol! Here!”

 

The said-girl looked up from the book she was reading and saw her best friend Yun waving at her at the other end of the corridor where the lockers were. She smiled, waved back and hurried a bit to meet her. Since they weren't in the same classes, their timetables were different and they didn't have a lot of time to see each other. Somehow, both of their classes seemed to have a spare hour in common this day.

 

“What are you doing here?” Byeol asked, surprised.

“My math teacher is sick, so he couldn't make it today,” Yun grinned, “and you?”

“I usually don't have a class at this hour, I was going at the library to return this book.”

“Oh! Want me to come with you?”

“Yeah, of course.”

 

Yun laughed hysterically and they walked arm-in-arm to the library which was at the last floor of the three-story building. It wasn't the biggest school of Seoul, but yet it had been recently renovated and it was very modern and being inside was enjoyable.

They greeted the librarian once they entered and Byeol returned the book before she disappeared between two shelves, looking for another story to read. Reading was her main hobby, she was spending more time reading than actually listening in class or even sleeping. She liked being transporting into some magical words and to meet people which weren't even real into the books. It was a way for her to ignore the people around her since she didn't like being lost in a crowd or even being with people in general; her family and Yun were the only exception.

She was looking for some new books or some she hadn't read yet when something, or more like someone, caught her attention. Next to the window giving on the playground, there was a table with only two chairs around it. One was often empty, but the other once seemed to always being taken by the same boy every times Byeol was coming at the library.

 

Jung Taekwoon was this boy. He was one year older than Byeol and was in senior year. He was known to be the bad boy of the school and most of the girls wanted to date him, or his exact opposite, the nice Cha Hakyeon. Taekwoon wasn't really talkative, he was extremely shy and had only a few friends (Byeol's step-brother Hongbin was actually one of the lucky ones who had the chance to befriend the boy). Also, he was bad at school, was often skipping classes and this was the main reasons why teachers hated him. Yet, he was rich, so nobody was messing with him, and even less the administration of the school. But, for some unknown reasons, he was always at the library when Byeol was coming. He always had a closed book in front of him but wasn't reading, he was looking at the outside with a face blank from any kind of expressions and he wasn't moving either.

 

“Byeol! Haven't you find your book yet?” Yun whined next to her.

“W-what?” she quickly looked away when she realized she had been staring at Taekwoon for five minutes and took the first book which was under her hand, “I have!”

 

They went to the desk another time for Byeol to get her borrowing registered.

 

“Your name,” the ugly librarian asked her with a cold voice, as if the girl was bothering her (and which was probably the case).

“Kim Byeol.”

“Your class,” she asked after she wrote the girl's name into her computer.

“112.”

 

The librarian nodded and Byeol left, Yun following her closely.

 

“I can't believe you've been borrowing books from here for the past three years and she doesn't know your name!” Yun snorted, “this woman is so stupid! And she's so ugly too! With her round fat face and her squinty eyes and greasy hair! And have you seen her teeth too? Yuk!”

“I'm so... common that it's normal for people not to remind me,” Byeol shrugged and falsely smiled, “I'm kind of used to it now.”

“Yah! Don't say that!” Yun pinched her cheek, “you're beautiful Byeol, it's just the people who are blinds.”

“And you're a liar.”

 

Yun the diva rolled her eyes, mumbling something about Byeol being too stupid to even realized how cute she was and something like that. They went downstairs to go to the forum which was a big room with a lot of tables, chairs and games where the students could go when they didn't have classes to spend their time. The forum was more for people who wasn't planning on working during their spare time, otherwise they could go to the study hall.

However Yun stopped in front of the noticeboard into the hall of the school. Lee Jaehwan was also here, looking at the numerous announces with his hands in his pockets and since he was into Yun's class, Byeol wasn't surprised to see him wasting his time with stupid thing. The girl greeted him with a shy smile and kind of hid behind her best friend, embarrassed by the only idea to be next to him.

 

“Oh look! Byeol! There's a new announce!” Yun pointed at the piece of paper, “Hakyeon sunbae is looking for singers and musicians. You should do it!”

“Do you sing?” Jaehwan asked her, his voice filled with curiosity.

“N-no!” she muttered, “not at all! It's not like that!”

“What are you talking about?” Yun frowned and elbowed her, “she does, actually!” she smiled at Jaehwan, “Byeol has been playing the piano since she was six and she does sing very well! I've heard her a lot and I cant tell she's by far the best singer I know.”

“You should talk to Hakyeon then! I'm actually also part of the group so I can tell him if you want to.”

“I don't want to,” Byeol said with a cold unusual tone, “really. I don't want to.”

“You sing too?” Yun asked her classmate to change the subject, seeing the distress in her best friend's eyes.

“Yes,” Jaehwan smiled proudly, “and I sing pretty well according to my friends and family. You know Han Sanghyuk, don't you? Who is in junior year.” Yun nodded. “He is also part of the group. We're only three for the moment and we're looking for more people to join us.”

“Oh! That's so cool!”

 

Jaehwan smiled and nodded.

 

“I'll be going now,” he said, “I need to find people to bother.”

“Just your voice is enough!” Yun made fun of her. He pretended to be really offended and left, bumping into the young girl at the same time.

“Oh!” he stopped ten meters away and turned around, “your name is Byeol, right?” he pointed at the said-girl who nodded, “alright, I'll remember it.”

 

He winked and really left this time. Byeol and Yun stayed silent and still for a while until the more talkative of them finally broke the embarrassing silent which had settled all around them.

 

“He... he doesn't seem to remember you,” she mumbled, biting on her lower lip nervously.

“Well,” Byeol faked a smile and didn't look at her, “we were in the same elementary and secondary school. It was quite a long time ago. I guess it's normal for him not to remember.”

“Byeol...”

“You know what? I-I forgot something in my classroom, I'll go get it. Just go with your friends, we'll see each other later.”

 

Byeol hugged the book she had against her chest even tighter and left without turning around even when Yun called for her.

 

*

 

At the end of the day, while most of the students were rushing out to go back at their home, Byeol dragged her feet to her locker. She put all the copybooks she would need to do her homework at home inside her bag and took her books in her hands, holding them against her chest. After she made sure she hadn't forgotten anything, and especially not the book she had borrowed in the morning, she also walked toward the exit where her mother was supposed to be waiting for her and her step-brother. She walked slowly, the books plus her bag being quite heavy, and also because she didn't want to rush to stay away of the other students.

She was ready to leave the corridor and to take the stairs to go down when someone who came from behind her bumped into her slim figure. She let go of her books which fell miserably at her feet and she looked up, ready to scream at the person who hadn't been paying attention to her. She wanted to speak for once, she wanted this person to hear what she had to say, but when she saw it was Cha Hakyeon, the head boy everybody loved because he was nice, charming and had a lovely personality, she didn't say a word, suddenly mute.

 

“I'm sorry,” he said, panting a bit, “I hadn't see you.”

 

He left without even helping her. She sighed loudly and picked all her books.

 

“No one sees me anyway.”

 


First chapter :) 

Don't forget to leave a comment to tell me what you think about it, and you can subscribe and upvote if you want to, it would be nice :)

Enjoy !