Chapter nine

Now [Troublemaker]

 

The week-end went on smoothly for Byeol who spent his Saturday with Hongbin in the downtown, and on the Sunday, she stayed with her whole family at home. However, on Monday, she had to go back to school. She followed Hongbin to his classroom and then went to her locker to pick up her stuff for the whole day. Obviously, she was also thinking about finding her blazer and phone but she was pretty sure Cha Hakyeon had it in his possession, and she didn't want to face him. She kept looking down at her feet to prevent him in case he would be lurking around and went to her classroom, sitting at her usual spot at the second raw, next to the window.

Strangely enough, classes went by quickly until her famous spare hour came. As usual, she went to the library, smiled at the librarian who didn't even react and hid behind the shelf from where she could see Jung Taekwoon. Because they were some books in front of her which prevented her from seeing him correctly, she pushed them and stood on her tip-toes to look over the smallest ones: if she was going to spy on the boy, she should at least do it discreetly.

 

Byeol obviously never had a boyfriend since she wasn't even able to actually talk to her other people. And she had never felt the need to have a boyfriend either. She was doing fine just by herself and she didn't have love to share except with her family. Yet, even if it was hard to admit, she was highly interested in Taekwoon. Not in a romantic way (or maybe in a romantic way, but since she had never felt in love before, she didn't really know what she was feeling for him), but in a more-than-friendly way. She first met him seven years ago precisely when they were both having piano lessons with the same teacher. They were often in the same classes since they had the same level but not long after, Byeol had to stop those classes. She didn't see him or even heard of him for a few years and suddenly, he came in her life a second time when she entered high school. Ans because of his friendship with Hongbin, they were often seeing.

And Taekwoon had always be the perfect boy and according to Yun, “he's boyfriend material”. At first Byeol really didn't agree with her best friend because the senior was a bad boy, had bad grades and was often rebelling against the teachers, which was a behavior Byeol really didn't like, but she had quickly forgotten about these little details when she learned to know him a bit better. And with her especially, he had always be nice and had never made fun of her because of her complicated situation. Byeol even felt like he was understanding her even more than her own mother or brother actually.

His shy smile was really cute and Byeol felt like she could watch him smile all day long, she wouldn't get tired of it. He was tall and fit, because he was playing soccer out of school he was also muscular and it was really impressive from the young girl's point of view. And, well, Taekwoon was handsome. And nice and handsome boy were a rare thing outside, so she sometimes felt lucky to know him. Taekwoon could totally be her type.

 

“Found you!”

 

Byeol jumped and hit her head against the shelf. The person who had suddenly appeared in front her laughed while she bit on her lower lip not to curse.

 

“Does it hurt?”

 

She looked up to see the smiling Cha Hakyeon on the other side of the shelf.

 

“Sorry not sorry,” he said, “I've finally found you, that's all that matter. You're quite an invisible girl, you know? I've been looking for you but hadn't seen you anywhere. Happily I know you're hiding here at this hour.”

“What do you want?” she mumbled.

 

He grinned even more and pulled her phone out of his pocket. He handed the device at her but at the moment she was going to grab it, he retreated it.

 

“Hey... you didn't think it would be this easy, right?”

“Please, sunbae, give me my phone back.”

“Oh... so you actually know how to talk, it's not just a rumor. You've got a nice voice, not only when you're speaking, but when you're singing too.”

 

She rolled her eyes and moved away to go behind the other shelf. Hakyeon quickly followed her and stepped at the place she was before, a shelf and lots of books remaining between them as a border.

 

“I'm not going to give you your phone back if you're running away.”

 

Byeol's heart started to race into her chest, yet she tried to stay calm and not to panic.

 

“Sing for me, Byeol,” he said, “I don't ask you to be part of my group, at least, not yet, but just sing a song for me and only for me. I really loved your voice on Thursday.”

“You weren't supposed to hear it,” she answered, avoiding his attractive gaze.

“You shouldn't keep your amazing singing skills just for yourself, it's such a waste. Share it with me, I do sing too! We should totally do a duet!”

“No.”

“Byeol! Come on! Don't be shy! I really know you and I know-”

 

He suddenly stopped and Byeol raised a brow, suddenly paying attention to him.

 

“I mean... I mean you know, I've heard a lot of rumors about you and, well... nevermind,” he shook his head, “I'm not going to give you your phone, I'll just keep it and I'll answer your brother's messages.”

 

He smiled proudly, knowing he had touch a very sensitive spot. Byeol frowned and dared to look straight at him in the eyes, her heart racing to the point that it was becoming painful.

 

“Just give it to me.”

“Come and get it.”

 

She didn't hesitate and moved to go and face him.

 

“My phone.”

“Sing for me.”

“My phone, sunbae.”

“One song, Byeol.”

“I want my-”

 

Hakyeon did one step toward her, leaving suddenly only a few centimeters between their faces. She shut up, tried to back up but he grabbed her shoulders. They stared at each other for a while, Byeol looking for something to say but no words came to her mind, as usual when she was panicking.

Cha Hakyeon was handsome too, she had to admit it. Contrary to most of the Asian people, he had a beautiful sun-kissed skin and that was why most of the girls were chasing him: because he wasn't like the other, he had this little something that the others didn't have. He also had beautiful brown almond-shaped eyes which were really hypnotizing. He was often dying his hair in light brown, dark and even had them dyed in red the previous year. And because he was a nice boy with a great personality he had managed to be the head boy of the school, which was the best position a student could have during his high-school's years. Hakyeon had everything to be perfect.

Yet, he had never paid attention to Byeol and suddenly, only in two weeks, he was driving her crazy.

 

“One song,” he whispered, “just... one single song for me.”

 

She opened to answer, but no sounds came out. She bit on her lower lip, looked down and closed her eyes to calm down a bit, but he was too close to her and she couldn't move, her body was like paralyzed.

 

“Just... give me my phone already,” she sighed, ashamed her herself for being this week.

“Here.”

 

She shivered because the person who had just talked was certainly not Hakyeon and looked up. Next to the head boy, Jung Taekwoon was handing her her phone. She sighed, relieved this time, took her phone and bowed her head to thank him.

 

“Thank you, sunbae.”

“You're welcome.”

 

She looked away for him not to see her obvious smile and she left the library.

 

“I still have your blazer!” Hakyeon shouted and frowned.

 

*

 

“I still have your blazer!” Hakyeon shouted and frowned.

 

He looked at Byeol leaving the room without one last glance at him and sighed, folding his arms over his chest.

 

“Why did you give her her phone back?” he muttered and looked at Taekwoon, “I was going to do it!”

 

Taekwoon stared at him with his poker-face he was famous for and dug his hands into the pocket of his trousers.

 

“Mind your own business from now,” Hakyeon tsked.

“That's what I do.”

“W-what?” the head boy frowned and looked at the boy.

“Byeol is my business,” he said, “and I don't want you to mess with her, she already has enough trouble for you to be one more.”

“Yah! What are you saying?!”

 

Taekwoon smirked and left, his shoulder bumping into the boy.

 

“Yah! Jung Taekwoon! Kim Byeol is not yours! I do whatever I want with her!”

 

*

 

“Hyuk! Do you want to come at my home tonight?” Jaehwan who was passing by in the corridor stopped the junior, “we'll be playing video games.”

“I can't sorry, I'm going at Hongbin sunbae's house, we'll be working on my math homework.”

“What?” Jaehwan frowned.

“He is my math tutor now and tonight we'll be working at his place.”

“Oh... alright, then... have fun, I guess.”

 

Hyuk smiled and watched Jaehwan leaving the school by the main door. Not so long after, Hongbin came out of his classroom. When he spotted the junior, he came all smiling toward him.

 

“Did you wait for too long?”

“No, not at all.”

“Good. I need to pass by my locker at first, do you mind waiting for me a few minutes more?” Hongbin smiled.

“Do you mind me coming with you?” Hyuk dared to ask.

 

Hongbin's smile changed into a small smirk and he nodded. Sanghyuk smiled too, blushed a bit and followed his tutor. While Hongbin was leaving some of his stuff into his locker, Hyuk leaned against the other lockers, watching closely the older boy.

 

“I'm done,” Hongbin said, “let's go.”

 

Inside the corridors, they talked about their own day at school and about their week-ends too and they went out of the school, crossing the crowd of students to reach the parking lot next to the school where Hongbin's mother was waiting for his son and friend, but also her daughter. Hongbin opened the door and let Hyuk entered the car first. The younger one really hesitated but gathered his courage to face Mrs. Lee.

 

“Hello,” he smiled shyly, “nice to meet you Mrs. Lee.”

“Nice to meet you too, Han Sanghyuk!” she laughed and looked at him through the rear mirror, “Hongbin told me a lot about you.”

“Mom...” the said-boy muttered under his breath, sitting next to Hyuk.

“Hey... don't be shy now that he is finally here, you've talking about him ever since you knew you would be tutoring him! It's a good thing for both of you to do that! I hope Hongbin will be nice to you!”

“He is always nice,” Hyuk blushed.

 

The door from the passenger seat opened and Byeol sat next to her mother, not even sparing a glance at her brother and his friend behind her. Hyuk looked at Hongbin and frowned but the boy only rolled his eyes and shrugged, silently asking him not to ask any question about it.

 

“Well,” Mrs. Lee laughed nervously, “let's go now that everyone is here.”

 

*

 

After a long evening, Byeol took a shower and lay in her bed, under the cover. Now that she finally had her phone, she didn't hesitate and called for her older brother. As expected, he quickly picked up.

 

“Hey! Byeol! What's up?” Ryeowook chuckled, “finally you call me! I've been trying to call you this week-end but you didn't even answer. What had happened to you?”

“I had let my phone at school on Thursday and I only got it back today.”

“You had let your phone at school...?”

“Hum,” she nodded.

“Oh... alright, it's good that you've got it now. So, tell me, what's up?”

“Nothing much. And you?”

“Well, nothing. My boss is as annoying as ever and my colleagues are tiring. But it's fine.”

“Are you coming here for Christmas?” she asked.

“I still don't know.”

“I hope you will.”

“I hope too,” she could hear him smiled through his voice, “are you alright?”

“Yes, why?”

“I don't know... I just feel like there's something going on for you right now... I'm sure you're not feeling well but don't want to tell me.”

“Oppa,” she sighed, “you know I tell you everything.”

“Then why do I feel like you're lying?”

 

She wrinkled her nose and let out a loud sigh. From the corridor, she heard Hongbin laughing with her mother so she waited for them to shut up a bit to speak.

 

“There's... there's a guy at school who-”

“Oh my god!” Ryeowook shouted, “a boy?! A real boy?! Byeol are you going to talk about a boy?!”

“Oppa,” she said with a cold tone, “let me finish.”

“Oh... alright, sorry, I just thought you were normal for once.”

“Well,” she didn't even pay attention to his remark, “there's this guy at school who has created a group and he is looking for singers and musicians.”

“And you want to be part of it.”

“Oppa!” she scolded him, “please!”

“Sorry sorry,” he mumbled in a broken English.

“So! He is looking for singers and musicians and I don't know how he found out, but he caught me on Thursday while I was playing and now he follows me and everything because he wants me to join his group.”

“Is he a hot guy? A senior?”

 

Byeol didn't even think twice before hanging up. A few seconds later, as she expected, he called her back so she answered because she just couldn't be mad at him.

 

“Byeol I'm really sorry! But please try to understand me! That's the first time you tell me about a boy! It's really exciting for me! I want to know!”

“You want to know if there's a boy who interests me?” she frowned.

“Yes! I'm your brother! Obviously I want to know if there's someone messing with your feelings!”

 

She bit on her lower lip as usual and she turned around in her bed. She waited for a short while and found herself smiling a bit.

 

“Actually,” she said, “there's this boy.”

 


I've only one thing to say : #teamHakyeon or #teamTaekwoon ?

Honnestly, I don't know the answer myself 

Well, I hope you liked this chapter. 

Thank you very much to all of you who subscribed, we reached 15 subs so thank you very much for following this story :)

Leave a comment to tell me what you thought about it and as usual, subscribe and upvote if you want to 

Thx

xx

Mae