Chapter eight

Now [Troublemaker]

Byeol opened her eyes but quickly closed them again because of the clear lighting of the room. She rolled on the bed, the cover half falling on the ground and she yawned, stretching her body at the same time. And only at this moment she realized the bed was much more comfortable than usual and that the smell was more masculine: it kind of smell like Hongbin. She sat on the bed and panic invaded her mind when she saw the blue walls surrounding her.

She jumped out of the bed, shivering when her feet met the cold wooden floor. She looked at herself to see she was wearing boys' clothes which were too large for her and around her, she looked for the owner of this room. Fortunately, she quickly remembered what had happened the night before; Cha Hakyeon into the music room, her blazer, house's key and her phone left at school, Byeol walking home alone under the rain and then Taekwoon bringing her to his home. She sighed, relieved to not be into a weird stranger's house and she looked at the clock on the wall.

 

“What?!” she nearly screamed, “school! I'm late! It's already nine!”

“Byeol? Are you awake?” she heard Taekwoon behind the door.

“Y-yes!”

 

He half-opened the door and smiled.

 

“How are you?”

“I'm late for school and I don't even have my stuff with me and I slept at your house and even in your bed, so-”

“Byeol,” he chuckled, “don't panic.”

“But... how I am supposed not to panic?!” she rubbed her temples and tried to ignore the headache coming, “w-what should I do? Oh my god sunbae I'm so sorry I-”

 

He entered the room and covered with his hand, preventing her from talking more.

 

“Your mother came here a bit earlier, she gave us the right to let you sleep after she learned what had happened yesterday.” Byeol blinked but didn't try to push him away. “I mean... what had happened after I found you only. She's now waiting for you at your home, she has a day off apparently.”

 

They didn't move for a while, looking straight at each other into the eyes. Byeol tried to calm down now that she was knowing her mother knew where she was and was waiting for her and also that she wouldn't be mad at them for skipping school, but Taekwoon was being too close to her for her liking and she couldn't think of anything else: just the handsome Jung Taekwoon, the bad boy all the girls at school wanted, staring at her with his face being only a few centimeters away. Byeol just had to lean a bit forward, probably by three or four centimeters and if he was pushing his hand than they would probably be kis-

 

“You should eat now,” he said and stepped backward, “my mother was mad since you fell asleep without eating yesterday.”

“I don't think I can face her...”

“Why?”

“I can't... I'm too ashamed... oh my god...” she ran a hand through her messy hair, “Oh my god... I can't believe I slept in your house.”

“Well, precisely in my bed,” he smirked and crossed his arms over his chest.

 

She frowned and punched him into the shoulder, but because she had just woken up (and because she was weak) she didn't even make him flinched. He laughed, grabbed her hand and forced her to go downstairs. She tried to resist and beg him to let her go, but before she could even realizes it, she was in the kitchen, Mrs. Jung hugging her tightly. She froze and found herself incapable of speaking.

 

“I'm glad to see you're doing well,” Mrs. Jung smiled, “I was scared you were going to be sick. How do you feel?”

 

Byeol kept on blinking, the words stuck in . Mrs. Jung laughed nervously, obviously ill at ease because of the young girl's weird behavior but happily for both of them, Taekwon was there.

 

“She's sleepy,” he said and put his arm around Byeol's waist, “and she's hungry.”

“Oh! Yes! You should- no! You must eat! I left a lot of food just for you! Come on, sit down.”

 

Byeol glanced at Taekwoon, looking for some help, but he only pushed her toward the table. She shyly sat down, Taekwoon sitting in front of her, and looked down.

 

“Here, sleepy head,” Mrs. Jung laughed and put a lot of dishes on the table, “eat as much as you want.”

“Mrs. Jung, I-I... I don't-”

“No! I don't want to hear you! Just eat before it's getting cold.”

 

Byeol took the chopstick, holding them tightly in order to hide her shaking and bowed her head.

 

“Thank you for the food.”

 

Mrs. Jung patted her shoulder and she started eating silently, tasting all the homemade and delicious food. While she was eating, Taekwoon and Mrs. Jung kept looking straight at her, expecting she didn't know what coming from her.

 

“It... it's delicious,” she said, really uneasy.

“Oh!” Mrs. Jung cooed, “thank you very much dear.”

 

But it didn't really help the young girl who ate even more but felt like throwing up. Ten minutes later, she stopped, unable of eating one single piece more.

 

“I'm really thankful... b-but I should go home now, I've already been too much of a bother last evening and I even prevented you sunbae from sleeping in your own bedroom so... I'll be going now.”

 

She stood up and did a 90°bow, expressing her gratefulness.

 

“Byeol,” Mrs. Jung smiled kindly, “you're always welcome here. I was even happy to finally have one of the Lee's siblings at home, since Taekwoon always goes at your place.”

“Thank you very much.”

“Do you want me to drive you back?”

“I'll do it,” Taekwoon suddenly talked, “let's go,” he said Byeol.

 

Byeol bowed her head one more time at Mrs. Jung and followed the young boy to the living room.

 

“Here,” he handed her bag which she had completely forgotten about, “my mom washed your uniform during the night, she put it in it.”

“She really didn't have to...”

“Well, she loves to do things like that, don't worry.”

“Hum, sunbae... I should probably changed my clothes now, so that I can give yours back.”

“No just keep it for now, I don't care.”

 

He took the keys of his car and they went out, Byeol automatic sitting at the passenger seat. On the road, none of them actually talked, but they listened to some music and without her realizing it, she was humming the song, Taekwoon smiling all by himself as he was listening to her. Since she was humming, nearly singing, it meant she was at ease with him and for the boy, it was a good step.

He stopped in front of her house and followed her to the doorstep.

 

“Thank you very much,” she shyly smiled and blushed.

“You're welcome. I'm glad I found you yesterday, so you didn't have to spend the night outside all by yourself.”

“I'm glad you found me too,” she sincerely admitted.

 

She smiled one last time, blushed and turned away. She opened the door, entered and turned around to quickly waved, which made the boy smiled. After, she disappeared behind the massive wooden door but Taekwoon couldn't help smiling.

 

*

 

“Byeol!” her mother jumped on her as soon as she closed the door and hugged her tightly, “you're back.”

“I wasn't going to stay at Mr. and Mrs. Jung's place all my life,” she shrugged and left her shoes and bag into the hall, moving forward to the deserted living room.

“I didn't sleep last night, I was too worried for you.”

“I'm fine, Mrs. Jung and Taekwoon sunbae took care of me. I'm very thankful for what they've done to me.”

“I'll invite them to a dinner one day, to thank them. But, tell me, what exactly happened to you?”

“I've forgotten my keys and my phone at school.”

“And why's that? What distracted you for you to forget?”

“Nothing much,” she mumbled.

“Really? Byeol? You don't have to lie to me, I know you too well, I already know something happened last night.”

 

Byeol looked at her mother with knitted brows, but didn't say a word. She simply shrugged and rushed upstairs, locking herself into her bedroom. She fell on the bed and wrapped her body into the cover, smiling all by herself as the images of her crazy evening and night invaded her mind. Yet she spent the rest of her day sleeping.

 

*

 

Hakyeon had spend his morning looking for Kim Byeol into the corridors and even her classroom, yet the girl was nowhere to be find. During the lunch break, he wandered around the cafeteria, caught a glimpse of Ahn Yun eating with some of her classmates, but not with Byeol. He gave up and joined Jaehwan and Hyuk into the music room. The boys, who were talking about Hyuk's tutoring session with Lee Hongbin, didn't even look at their leader when he entered the room and they didn't even react when Hakyeon pulled out a white phone of his pocket; phone which wasn't his, but Byeol's.

 

He accidentally clicked on the main button and the phone unlocked itself. “!” Hakyeon thought, “this is not what I wanted!”. Yet, the background picture caught his attention and he couldn’t turn it off again. “Wait... who is that?” he frowned while looking intensely at the picture of Byeol, who was approximately five years younger, surrounded by a man in his early fifties and a young boy around thirty who had a beautiful and big white smile and who looked like a masculine version of Byeol. “It's probably her older brother and her father,” he nodded and turned off the screen.

He silently stared at Jaehwan and Hyuk for a very short amount of time, and the phone screen once again. He deliberately clicked on the “message” application to check all of the girl's conversations. He knew he shouldn't be doing that but he was way too curious and couldn't prevent himself from doing so, the temptation was too strong.

And as he expected, Byeol wasn't much of a huge text messages' fan, so there wasn't a lot of interesting things. A few messages to her mother, a lot more to Hongbin, a single one to Kim Wonshik, her step-brother's best friend and a lot with her older brother Ryeowook. He didn't read them all, judging it was too much, and decided to look through a pictures and videos, to see if there was something interesting.

 

And if there was nothing interesting enough for him into her messages, he found something really surprising into her pictures. “Why does she have so many photos of Jung Taekwoon?!” he mumbled to himself, scrolling down to see more. “What did you say?” Jaehwan asked him, finally paying attention to him. “What? Oh! Nothing!” Hakyeon smiled and looked back at the screen.

There was pictures of Taekwoon when he was a bit younger, from the time when he was still having piano lessons. There were some where he was with Hongbin and but there were quite a few about him being at the school's library, sat all by himself at the table from the corner, with a closed book in front of him while he was looking at the outside. “Hey,” he sighed, “they can't possibly be crushing on each other and not speaking to each other, right?”. “Hyung, are you crazy?” Hyuk asked, “you're talking alone!”. “I'm just... you know... nothing.” Jaehwan frowned and moved next to him.

 

“Whose phone is that?” he asked.

“Mine.”

“Bip! Wrong answer! Whose phone?”

“Kim Byeol's,” Hakyeon mumbled and looked down.

“Who?” Hyuk asked.

“Kim Byeol!” the oldest said a bit louder.

“Why do you have her phone? What's wrong?” Jaehwan asked.

“I just... yesterday... I-I went to the music room to find her and talk to her about the group; you know, because Ahn Yun told me to, but accidentally I... I entered the room and I scared her. So she ran away before I was able to stop her and she left her phone and blazer in the room.”

“Were you perhaps spying on her?”

“W-what?! No! Not at all! It's not that!” Hakyeon blushed.

 

He stood up, mumbled some words which weren't making any sense and he left, the door banging behind him.

 

“Hey, hyung,” Hyuk poked Jaehwan's shoulder, “I'm sure Hakyeon has a big crush on Kim Byeol.”

“What? No it's impossible, he didn't even know whom she was last week.”

“I'm sure he knows. There's something about him whenever he talks about her, I can also see it in his eyes. He knows Kim Byeol and he is interested in her.”

 

Jaehwan frowned.

 

“You sure?”

 

Hyuk nodded vigorously.

 

“Well, we should find out. Let's investigate on that.”

 


Hey, eighth chapter :)

First of all, thanks to all of you who subscribed and upvoted, it means a lot to me, so thank you very much :)

Don't forget to leave a comment telling me what you thought about this chapter and the story so far, we are learning a bit more about the characters' feelings toward each other, i hope you like it.

Oh! and before leaving, you can check my other on going story starring Infinite, it's called I love you (more) /shameless self promotion/. 

Thx.

xx

Mae.