Chapter twenty-one

Now [Troublemaker]

 

On Monday, during Byeol's spare hour, Yun and herself met at the library since Yun didn't have classes either. They sat in a corner of the room where the ugly librarian wouldn't see them and they took a random book which they let opened on the table so that it would look like they actually were doing something. But Byeol was just looking at the two classes of seniors having physical education class outside (which was the reason why Taekwoon wasn't sitting at the table as usual).

 

“Byeol...”

“Hum?”

“You would tell me if you were going out with a boy?”

“Obviously I would tell you, you're my best friend.”

“You trust me, right?”

“I do! Why are you even asking those questions?” Byeol frowned.

“Why didn't you tell me you kissed Hakyeon sunbae?”

 

Byeol froze and slowly blinked.

 

“W-what...?”

“I heard him at the bowling last time, he told something you about liking it the last time you've kissed...”

“Yun...” she blushed.

“So it's true, right? You two kissed.”

“It's... it's not what you think though. I mean, yes, we kissed, but it only makes things really awkward for me.”

“Why?”

“The first time it happened was-”

“You kissed twice?!”

“Shh...” Byeol put her hand over her best friend's mouth to shut her, “don't be too loud! I don't want someone to hear!”

“But you kissed twice and you never told me!” Yun hissed.

“But it's embarrassing!”

“You should have told me!”

“You should have told me you were dating Lee Jaehwan and you didn't!”

 

Yun opened to answer but no words came out. Indeed, she hadn't told tell Byeol and had in fact never told her best friend her feelings she had toward the boy.

 

“The first time we kissed was at Wonshik's party...” Byeol spoke, “I don't really know how it happens but something came out with Taekwoon sunbae and Im Yoora and Hakyeon sunbae was with me and the second later we were under the mistletoe and he kissed me.”

“Really? It's so romantic! But what happened with Taekwoon and Yoora? I heard they... they left the party together.”

“They did.”

“And... they spent the night together?”

“They did,” Byeol gulped and looked away, “but anyways.”

“Yes... anyways,” Yun nodded, “the second time?”

“It was a few weeks ago, when you were at the mountains.”

“Oh... I see.”

 

Byeol didn't add much and Yun kept mum, keeping all the questions she had in her mind to herself.

 

“It didn't feel wrong,” Byeol said after a while, “but... it didn't feel right either? You know what I mean?”

“No...?” Yun raised a brow.

“Well, it was my first kiss at the party so I didn't know exactly how I was supposed to feel and I was confused at that moment, but... I felt like he didn't kiss me because he wanted to, but just because the situation was made for us to end up kissing.”

“I'm sure he kissed you because he wanted to. Everyone can tell Hakyeon sunbae is in love with you.”

“Don't say that, it's impossible,” Byeol shook her head, “we're just teens, children, we can't be in love with someone and-”

“What are you talking about? Of course we can be in love!”

“Are you in love with Jaehwan?”

“I am, I totally am!” Yun admitted and just by her serious look, Byeol knew she wasn't lying.

“And how do you know? What makes you say you're in love?”

“I-I don't know, I just feel it. My hearts flutters whenever I'm around Jae and when I see him, I'm automatically smiling and feeling happy. He makes me laugh and I feel more confident when he is around. Also, he makes me feel safe and loved.”

 

Byeol thought about it for a short while.

 

“Don't you feel that?”

“No, not really. I feel great around Hakyeon sunbae but I think I feel more embarrassed then comfortable around him.”

“He is pretty straightforward and annoying at some times.”

“I don't feel like he is my type.”

“Then what's your type?”

“I don't know,” Byeol shrugged, “I guess I don't have-”

“A handsome and tall boy with soft features and a sweet smile. Someone who isn't too loud but someone with whom you feel comfortable enough to speak and laugh with. I'd love to have someone who could give you some advice when you're lost and when you don't know what to do anymore. And you probably don't like a boy we just dragged you behind him, you'd prefer him to let you chose and make your own choices and also, you don't want someone who get easily mad and who would shout at you if you do something wrong.”

“H-how...-”

“Because I know someone who is totally your type... and I know you feel something for this someone.”

“And who are you talking about?” Byeol blushed.

“You know who I'm talking about.”

 

And though Byeol refused to admit it, she indeed knew who she was talking about. And it made her blushed heavily and smiled foolishly.

 

*

 

“What do you mean you want to join?!” Jaehwan shouted.

“Are you stupid?” Taekwoon rolled his eyes and folded his arms over his chest, “I want to be part of the group too.”

 

Everyone in the music room remained silent. Byeol, Hongbin and Sanghyuk stopped moving and talking to look at Taekwoon with wide opened eyes. Hakyeon was glaring at his classmate. Yoora's eyes were sparkling with mischief and playfulness. And Jaehwan was simply stunned and couldn't believe what was going on.

 

“I can sing and play the piano,” Taekwoon said.

“We already have singers and an amazing pianist we-”

“Why didn't you come at the auditions?” Hakyeon cut Jaehwan.

“Because I didn't want to.”

“So why now?”

“Because now I want to be part of it.”

“You say you can sing,” Hyuk shyly try to smile at the older boy.

“I can.”

“But-”

“Try to sing something, we'll see then,” the older boy in the room once again cut Jaehwan who sighed and sent a deadly glare at his friend.

 

Taekwoon nodded and sat at the piano, sending Byeol a small smile. She answered by smiling too and when Hongbin asked her what was going on, she shrugged off. Taekwoon cleared his throat and started to play a very famous song which he loved a lot and as soon as the first words came out of, Byeol froze. She knew this song too, but only because they had played it together at the academy years ago. And she remembered Taekwoon's clear voice since it hadn't broke at that time and she found herself humming the song too. And ever since she had left the academy and had stopped playing, Byeol had never listened to Kim Kwangseok's A love that was too painful wasn't love ever again. But now, to hear Taekwoon singing it again made her realized how much she had missed this song.

 

When he stopped playing, nobody said a word but Jaehwan and Hyuk glanced at Hakyeon who looked like he was having a conflict inside his mind.

 

“I can sing and play the piano,” Taekwoon repeated, “I can totally be part of the group.”

 

Hakyeon didn't answer so the youngest of them all stood up.

 

“He is right, hyung,” Hyuk said, “he can sing really well.”

“I didn't even know he was singing,” Hongbin added.

“But we don't need singers anymore and-”

“Alright, you can be part of it,” Hakyeon sighed and clicked his tongue against his teeth, “we rehearse in this room every Mondays and Thursdays during lunch breaks. Don't miss a rehearse if you don't have a valid reason or-”

“Or we'll kick you out!” Jaehwan cut the leader to end the sentence.

“Something like this, yes,” Hakyeon scoffed.

“I'll be there, don't worry for that.”

“And... hum... about the piano, are you as good as Byeol?”

“Actually, we learned together,” Taekwoon sightly smirked, “I mean she has been playing for longer than me but I've learned from the best, so I can say I'm not that bad.”

 

Hakyeon was glaring at him and he gulped angrily instead of just insulting him in front of anyone (and mainly because Byeol was in the room, otherwise he would have clearly entered Taekwoon's game and would have concluded by something like 'I least I've kissed her, not you' but he kept mum).

 

“Oh that's right!” Hongbin clapped into his hands and smiled, “you went to the same academy! I have completely forgotten about that!”

“Well, it's not the point,” Hakyeon cut the conversation short, “we need to find the song we are going to sing for the Winter ball.”

 

*

 

Thursday came really fast, Byeol thought as she sat in front of the piano in the deserted music room. Indeed, her night classes were starting at six pm only and she had one spare hour in front of her to do whatever she wanted. And as usual, she had chosen to come and play a bit when she was alone.

 

She put the music sheet Hongbin had offered her at Christmas and she started playing it while trying really hard to get it the most perfect as possible and to get it as right as possible too. She was still making little mistakes which could be easily corrected but the most annoying thing was that she couldn't succeed to make it sound like it used to be when she was younger. It wasn't the same, the feelings and the vibe were gone and no matter how much she was playing, it wouldn't come back.

 

This evening, she quickly gave up and played simple pieces that came to her mind randomly. That was how she ended up playing and singing Paloma Faith's song, Beauty Remains. She loved this song and it made her feel better since it wasn't too hard to play and she didn't make any mistakes. Plus, since the gorgeous singer had an amazing and powerful voice, Byeol liked to sing the song even more.

 

She also played some other songs and like this, the hour passed by. She gathered her stuff and made sure she wasn't forgetting something before going out of the room. She was expected to find no one, especially around the music room since school had been over for an hour, but instead, she saw Hakyeon leaning against the wall next to the door. When she get out, he looked at her and smiled.

 

“W-what are you doing here?” she stuttered.

“I was listening to you.”

“Why? Why did you do that?”

“Because I love your voice, it's no secret.”

“But... but that's my moment!” she frowned, feeling sightly annoyed, “you're not supposed to come here and listen to me, you're not even supposed to be at school anymore!”

“I have late classes too and-”

“But it's not a reason!” she shouted and Hakyeon did one step back. It was the first time ever he was hearing her raising her voice. He didn't even know she could do it. “I-I hate it when people spy on me! I hate it when they invade my privacy!”

“But it's the school's music room and it belongs-”

“I'm the one playing in the room at this hour! You don't have to come and ruin everything!”

 

She slammed the door to close it and started walking away, tears coming to her eyes. She knew he had seen her play once, the day she had cowardly ran away to end up alone in the rain before Taekwoon came and saved her, but she didn't know he had came again. And more than just annoyed, she felt embarrassed to be listen to. Singing and playing were the only source of distraction and stress-relieving thing she had, she wasn't doing something else, she didn't have no hobby either (except from reading). Whenever she was singing and playing the piano, she was herself, it was as if she was . And that was exactly why she hated to know he had listened to her.

 

“Then why aren't you mad at Taekwoon? He comes here every Thursdays to listen to you too!” Hakyeon shouted.

 

She swallowed her tears and walked away, ignoring him. And in the end, she didn't go to her classes but directly went home.

 


Hello ! How are you all doing? 

Well, for me, I'm done with my exams so now I can strat writting again and your comments motivates me even more ! Thank you very much :)

So, about this chapter, Taekwoon decides to join the group: bad or good idea ? Tell me in the comments 

And we have a little conversation between Byeol and Yun ? what do you think about that ? ;)

Thx

xx

Mae :)