Chapter twenty

Now [Troublemaker]

 

 

One week later, week during which one Hakyeon never left Byeol's side but during which one Taekwoon avoided her, she received a message from the later. It was Saturday morning and she had woken up early because she had accompanied her step-dad and step-brother to do the groceries, and as soon as they had gotten back home, her phone had buzzed.

 

From: Jung Taekwoon

I want to see you.

 

At first she had frowned and thought he had made a mistake. But a few seconds later, her phone buzzed again.

 

From: Jung Taekwoon

Please, Byeol. I really want to see you.

 

Seeing her name, she had frozen which caught Hongbin's attention. The boy had peeked over her shoulder and playfully elbowed her.

 

“Go!” he had smiled, “don't make him wait.”

 

To: Jung Taekwoon

Where?

 

From: Jung Taekwoon

I'll be at your house in ten minutes, we'll go somewhere else.

 

Ten long minutes later, he indeed arrived and Byeol left her house with a heavy heart. She was confused and scared and at the same time, the thought of being alone with the older boy made her heart twitched with excitement. Indeed, he was the one who had asked to see her and she couldn't help wondering why. She sat at the passenger seat and bowed her head to greet him. He shyly did the same and took the way of the downtown. The whole ride was silent despite how many questions Byeol wanted to ask him and she saw how he kept tapping his fingers on the wheel: he seemed to be as nervous as her. Nevertheless they arrived in a modern coffee place where there weren't a lot of customers and they sat in a corner. He ordered an Americano and Byeol a simple hot chocolate.

 

“Why... why are we here?” she dared to ask, breaking the pregnant silent which had settled between them, “why did you ask to see me?”

“I'm... I'm sorry,” he said and didn't look at her, “for... the past weeks, I'm sorry.”

“What do you mean?” she sightly frowned and titled her head.

“You know... at the party, I was drunk.”

“I know,” she quickly answered and Taekwoon gulped because he felt the culpability sightly growing up into his chest.

“I... I don't really remember what I told you, but I'm sure I said something bad and for that, I'm sorry.”

“Im Yoora asked you if I was worth your attention, and you said I wasn't,” she admitted and took a sip of her hot beverage, “and then you left with her.”

“I didn't mean this, I really didn't, I wasn't thinking right and I swear I didn't mean this.”

 

He looked at her and saw her slowly drinking while looking at the old map hanging on the wall.

 

“Then did you mean something else?”

“No, I... I wasn't even supposed to talk you to you this night because I didn't know you were there.”

“And if you had known, would it have changed something?”

“Yes.”

 

She looked at him so they found themselves looking at each other for the first time.

 

“What would you have done?”

“Nothing...”

“I knew it,” she scoffed and shook her head before looking away once again.

 

He didn't understand what she meant and he didn't ask.

 

“You... you've been hanging out a lot of Hakyeon, lately,” he stated.

“I have.”

“Are you... are you dating?”

“Dating? You mean like a having dates and everything? No,” she shook her head and wrinkled her nose, “no we don't.”

“Why? You've kissed several times.”

“Can you not talk about this, please?”

“Oh... yeah... sorry.”

“We're not dating, that's all. We're not even friends, either. He is just a sunbae. And an annoying one.”

“But... could you date him, if he was asking you?”

“What's with the questions today...?” she frowned.

“I'm sorry.”

“Did you actually tell me you wanted to see me just for asking me that? Is there a real point to this conversation?”

“Byeol I've... I've been distant with you lately and I'm sorry about it, and I know you've been avoiding me too so I want you to stop because I hate it, I hate really hate that. And for what I said at Wonshik's party, I'm sorry, I was drunk and didn't mean anything of this. I want you to forgive me and to stop avoiding me, please.”

 

They stared at each other for a while without saying a word. Byeol's heart fluttered and she clutched her hands around the hot cup because she tried to hide her shaking hands. Taekwoon was getting back to her and he was nearly begging for her forgiveness, he wanted her to come back to him (in a way) and it was making her heart go crazy. He was Jung Taekwoon after all. He was the one was there to see her when no one was seeing her. He was the one who drove her home one the rainy day. He was the one who took her to his home when she was freezing outside. He had never made fun of her because of her “illness”, he had never judged her. And he was the one she had been not-so-secretly watching at the school library, he had been the one who had made her heart fluttered, he had been the one to hurt her when he told her she wasn't worth her attention: if it had hurt, it meant she had been feeling something for him, right? If she hadn't care, it wouldn't have hurt her this much.

 

“Just... forgive me, please?”

 

*

 

Taekwoon! Come here!” Mr. Lee waved at the eleven-year-old boy.

 

Taekwoon stepped forward into the huge room and he politely bowed his head at the man who was going to be his new piano teacher. He was a bit scared, because he never had lessons before other than with his older sister Hyorin, but he was at the same time really excited to learn how to play and even though he was young, he was already thinking about making a carrier into the music world. He was hoping that one day, he'll be able to become a kpop star.

 

Sit here, come on, don't be scared,” Mr. Lee shew him the seat in front of the black shiny piano and Taekwoon sit on it, his fingers automatically curling on the keyboard.

Show me what you know.”

 

He nodded and breathed in. for the first time ever, he was going to be playing in front of someone who wasn't his parents or sisters, but a real someone else. The piece he knew best was Sad Fate by Nami and yet, he only knew a tiny part of the beautiful song. While he was playing, Mr. Lee was gently moving his head following the rhythm. Suddenly, Taekwoon stopped.

 

That's all I know,” he said shyly.

It's very good, very good!” the teacher laughed, “piano isn't something easy, it requires a lot of training and also patience! But I bet you've got it all!” he stopped and checked his wristwatch, “there's someone I want you to meet! She's one year younger than you, but she's been playing for four years now, so she's your sunbae,” the old man chuckled, “she will be here in only a few minutes now, she is never late. I'm sure the two of you will be a great duo!”

 

Taekwoon gulped. He didn't mind working with someone else but he was sure he would be looking ridiculous while playing in front of someone who had been playing for several years and especially if this someone was one year younger.

 

Don't worry, Taekwoon,” Mr. Lee patted his shoulder, “you'll be fine.”

 

Then at this moment, the door opened and a short girl with big round eyes and long black hair entered the room. She was grinning and was tightly holding her bag into her hands. Mr. Lee stood up when he saw her and he quickly hugged her when she arrived at his level.

 

Byeol dear,” the old man laughed, “you're beautiful today.”

No I'm not,” she giggled cutely, “I never am.”

 

She put her bag right next to the piano and looked at Taekwoon for the first time. At first, she froze and so did he. They stared at each other for a while, since apparently they were both very shy and Mr. Lee cleared his throat.

 

Byeol, this is Jung Taekwoon, the new student. He is going to have lessons with you starting from today. He has played the piano only by his own and I want you to help him as much as you can. Do you mind?”

No,” she shook her head cutely, “nice to meet you, I'm Kim Byeol,” she introduced herself with a high-pitched and childlike voice.

J-Jung Taekwoon,” he shyly answered.

 

She bit on her lower lip and looked at her teacher, waiting for his instructions.

 

Byeol, dear, why don't you show Taekwoon what you can do?”

C-can I?”

Yes, go ahead.”

 

Taekwoon was about to stand up to let Byeol sit on the piano seat, but instead, Mr. Lee told him to stay next to the young girl. Byeol sat next to him, their arms brushing together and she looked at their teacher.

 

What... what should I play?”

Whatever you want, it's your moment.”

My moment...” she mumbled and nodded.

 

She put her tiny hands on the keyboard but didn't play anything. Taekwoon took a quick glance at her to see she was staring blankly at the piano and he wondered what she was doing and why she wasn't playing.

 

She breathed in loudly and started playing. Taekwoon didn't know the piece but it was beautiful and he really loved it. It wasn't like all the popular song he had played before and he guessed it was certainly a well-known piece from a famous composer. And seeing the young Kim Byeol playing it with any sheet music made it even more beautiful.

 

When she stopped, Taekwoon couldn't help looking at her.

 

It was beautiful,” Mr. Lee cheered up, “isn't she a good player, Taekwoon?”

 

The boy blankly nodded.

 

She is.”

 

She blushed and giggled.

 

I'll work even harder to be even better,” she said.

You see, Taekwoon, you're with the best now, you don't have to worry.”

You can come and ask for my help when you want to,” she smiled at her new fellow pianist, “I'll always be there.”

 

Taekwoon nodded and smiled, because at that time, he really thought Byeol would really be always there for him, and what he couldn't know at that time, was that he would become the one always there for her.

 

*

 

“So... see you on Monday,” Taekwoon cleared his throat before Byeol got of his car.

“Yeah, see you, sunbae,” she smiled and politly bowed her head.

“W-wait, Byeol... I... I thought you could eat together, if you want to, during lunch. Well, Hongbin and Wonshik can come too if you mind being alone with me.”

“Oh, that...” she wrinkled her nose, “I'm sorry, but now that I have joined Hakyeon sunbae's group, I'll be eating with them.”

“Y-you what? You've joined his group?” she nodded, “o-oh... alright...”

“I'll be going now, have a good day!”

 

She waved and quickly got home, Taekwoon watching her leave closely. “What do I do now...?” He thought.

 


 So a few chapters ago we had Hakyeon and Byeol's side story, and now we have Taekwoon and Byeol's ? Which one do you like more ? 

I also asked who would like Byeol to end up with ? I read your comments and I thought about it, and I think I have chosen (but obviously I'm not going to tell you, there are still eight chapters left!)

I hope you liked this chapter and story so far now that we are reaching the end !

Thx you dear subscribers ! 

xx

Mae

(Ps: I have another story going on with Got7, it's a totally different genre and here is a link if you want to check it : Bite [please don't] :) )