Chapter eleven

Now [Troublemaker]

 “Byeol, can you do the dishes?”

“W-why me?” she dared to ask her teacher.

“There's someone feeling sick, I need to check on him. Please, do this for me. That would be great.”

“Oh... alright, I'll do it,” she tried to smile but couldn't, really annoyed.

 

*

 

“Byeol!” Yoora came running toward her, “Hey! How are you?”

“Fine, thank you,” she bowed her head politely.

“Can I ask you something?” the senior smiled.

“Yes of course.”

“Can you wash the bathrooms for me? I have to go in town with Hakyeon to buy some food for tomorrow. Can you do it for me please?” the girl pouted like a child.

“Y-yes, I can do that.”

“Thank you dear! You're really a lovely girl! I'll owe you one!”

 

*

 

“Byeol can you-”

“I'll do it,” the young girl sighed and turned around and looked at Hakyeon, looking really pissed, “just tell me what you want and I'll do it.”

“I just want you to tell me if there's something you think would be needing for tonight's campfire,” he said.

 

She blinked a few times, not sure about what to say. It had been three days already and it was the first time someone was talking to her. And it wasn't to ask her to do the chores.

 

“So... what do you think?” he tilted his head.

“I... I don't know,” she just left, to scared to actually answered.

 

*

 

Once the sun had set, the teachers with the help from a few seniors had started the fire. All around it, the students sat on different trees' trunks and they were chatting happily, singing while a guy was playing the guitar and they were also playing games while waiting for the meat to be cooked. Byeol was sitting next to Mari, yet she wasn't talking. She was waiting for the night to be over for her to go to bed since she was exhausted. In front of her, on the other side of the fire, she could see Taekwoon smiling and laughing with some of his classmates. Even though he had told her to come and talk to him at the beginning of the trip, four days later, they haven't exchanged one single word. They were simply staring at each other from afar.

 

“Hum... Byeol,” Mari elbowed her to catch her attention, “have you heard the rumor?”

“Which one?”

“Im Yoora, the senior, she's going to ask Hakyeon out tonight.”

“O-oh really?” she tried to look a bit surprised.

“Yes! I really hope Hakyeon sunbae is going to say yes. They would be so good looking together. Don't you think so?”

 

Byeol smiled a bit and Mari let her alone. For another complete hour, nobody talked to her. They ate, the teachers joining them in their games, but because the adults quickly started to be cold, they had to go back inside the cabin. So the teens were left alone outside around the fire.

 

“So,” Yifan talked and because of his low-pitched voice, everybody listened to him, “truth or dare?”

 

Because most of the students agreed, the oldest started the game, Byeol listening to them. One boy had to cross the living room where the teachers were wearing only his underwear, and another one had to have a shower with his clothes on. Since Byeol found this game stupid, she was glad nobody was knowing her or paying attention to her, so that she wasn't bothered.

 

“Taekwoonie sunbae!” Mari giggled while looking at the senior, “truth or dare?”

“Truth,” he didn't even hesitate.

“Is there a girl you like?”

 

Obviously most of the girls started giggling too.

 

“There is.”

“Who is she?”

“Is she here?”

“Is she in your class?”

“Is she younger?”

“She's here, yes,” he admitted.

 

Byeol looked up and looked at him through the high flames. He wasn't looking at someone in particular, but had a shy smile on his lips.

 

“Can you tell us her name? Who knows,” Mari smiled even more, “she might also like you.”

“I don't think she does, actually. She... she probably doesn't even considered me as a friend.”

“Oh my god this girl must be so lame!” a senior laughed.

“She's not,” Taekwoon answered and she shut up, “she's really cute, nice and clever. And she's really pretty too.”

 

From her seat, Byeol felt her heart clenched inside her chest. Hearing this description which was the total opposite of what she was made her suddenly felt really sick.

 

“What's her family name?” Mari asked once again, obviously curious.

“Kim.”

“Oh... sunbae, most of us are called Kim,” Byeol's classmate whined.

“I know,” he winked at her which made her blush violently.

 

Then the game went on smoothly, most of students ending up choosing 'truth' since they were getting to lazy to move.

 

“Hakyeon oppa,” one of Byeol's classmate looked at the head boy, “is there a girl in your heart?” he nodded, “is she here?” he kept nodding, “really?” he nodded and smiled even more, “who is she?”

 

He shrugged not-so-innocently.

 

“Have you already told her that you like her?”

“No,” he finally spoke, “but she probably knows, it's kind of obvious.”

“Can you do something completely crazy which is standing up and kiss her?”

“It's not that I don't want to, but I don't want to embarrass her.”

“She probably won't mind,” Yoora spoke and looked at him with a slight smile.

“I know her, she will mind.”

“Can you tell us a clue for us to find out who she is?”

 

He frowned, looking for what to say and once he found out, he cleared his throat.

 

“She has an amazing voice.”

 

Byeol's heart missed a beat.

 

“Alright, so all the girls are going to sing,” Yifan started to explain his plan, “not a whole song, but just one or two sentences. If you think you're good enough, just sing more, but if you think you're bad, just let your neighborhood sings. Understand?” Most of the girls agreed, but Byeol did not. First she looked at Hakyeon, begging him with her eyes to save her, but he didn't look at her, so she looked at Taekwoon, praying internally for him to also save her by taking her away from this mess. But no one was answering her prayers. “Are you ready to play?” Yifan asked the boy who had a guitar.

 

This same boy nodded and started playing a song everybody knew. Haru Haru by Big Bang. Obviously Byeol knew this song since it was one from her favorite group, but she just couldn't sing in front of everyone. It was simply impossible. Since they started from the exact opposite of her, she thought she had still time to find a way to escape, but the other girls weren't even singing one line, so obviously, her quickly came. But before hurt, they had to listen to Yoora. The girl sang the rap parts really easily, she really slayed it. Nobody dared to cut her and when she stopped, she shyly smiled and looked down. The girl sat next to her started singing too even though it was not as good as Yoora and soon, Byeol's turn came. The guitarist kept playing, but she couldn't open . All the other students looked at her, waiting for her to say only one line, but she couldn't speak.

 

“Byeol,” Mari elbowed her, “it's your turn.”

“I-I can't do that, I'm sorry but I can't. You,” she looked at the senior sitting to her right, “you can just sing already.”

“Kim Byeol,” Yifan told her, “you must sing too.”

“I-I don't know the song.”

“You're lying, we all know this song,” the tall Chinese guy raised a brow, waiting for her answer.

“Do you know the song Now by Troublemaker Byeol?” Hakyeon smirked.

“Y-yeah, why?”

“Me too, so we can sing it together.”

 

She was caught, there was no escape. The guitarist put the main theme on his mp3 and waited for Hakyeon's sign before starting. She looked straight at him and only at him. Her heart was pounding in her chest, ready to burst at any moment.

 

“Byeol...” Mari sighed by her side.

“I'll do it,” she swallowed the lump she had in , “I'll... I'll do it.”

 

Hakyeon grinned because he knew he had won. She breathed in loudly and looked at the guitarist. The music started, she held her breath up to the moment she had to sing. So she closed her eyes and ignored the world around us. It was her, the music and Hakyeon. Only them. And it was perfect.

 

*

 

Byeol was sitting on the sofa in the living room all by herself, watching the fire still burning and warming up the room, but also her whole body and mind. After what had happened earlier, she was completely drained out from all her energy and she couldn't do anything. Her body had been replace with jelly and her mind with total void. The only thing she needed was to call her older brother, but she didn't have her phone. So she was just dying inside, not even realizing if what she had done was real or not. Fortunately, it was the last night and tomorrow was the last day of the trip, otherwise she was sure she wouldn't have been able to handle the other students looking at and speaking of her. Byeol wasn't even sure she was going to handle it during the Friday.

 

She heard some voices coming from the corridor, so she ran away and went outside, scared that the teachers would find her. She crossed the garden of the cabin and disappeared a bit into the forest, staying near the pathway so that she wouldn't get lost. When she arrived by the little fountain, she sat on the edge and rubbed her hands together to get them warm. She was alone and she was more concentrated on the environment around her than on what happened earlier, so she was a bit at ease, but then, once again, she heard voices which scared her. She hid behind a big tree and discreetly looked at the two people coming toward her way. She easily recognized Im Yoora, because of her red coat with fur, but she couldn't see the guy since his back was facing her. They stopped by the fountain, being only ten meters away from Byeol, and she heard all of them conversation even though she didn't really want it. She was just at the wrong place at the wrong moment.

 

“Why did you bring me here?”

 

Byeol froze when she recognized Hakyeon's sweet and tired voice.

 

“There's... there's something I want to tell you.”

“And you couldn't say it with the others around? Because it's cold here and I might get sick.”

“Hakyeon...” she laughed nervously, obviously embarrassed, “please... it's serious.”

 

He folded his arms over his chest.

 

“Then tell me.”

 

“Is that what the others talked about? Is she going to ask him if he wants to date her?” Byeol asked herself, still spying on them.

 

“I... well, you know, we've been friends for a while now and recently my feelings have changed... I... I like you, Hakyeon...” she bit on her lower lips and Byeol thanks the full moon for lighting the whole world and so Yoora's embarrassed face.

“Well, I like you too,” the head boy shrugged, “friends like each other I don't see why you dragged me here to say this.”

 

Byeol smiled, loving Hakyeon's innocence at this moment.

 

“No I don't like you this way... I like you the other way... with more than friendly feelings...”

“W-what?” he straightened at bit, “what do you mean?”

“Do you want to go out with me?”

“Me...” he pointed at himself, “with you? Go out?”

“Do you want to date me, Cha Hakyeon?” she closed her eyes and said really quickly.

 

They both remained silent for a while, looking at each other once she had the courage to look at him. Hakyeon was the first one to move when he stood up, facing her completely.

 

“I can't do that,” he finally said, letting Yoora but also Byeol completely dumbfounded, “I... I only see you as a friend.”

“W-what?” the senior girls answered, “but... earlier you told everyone there was a girl in your heart! You told everyone that the girl you like probably already knows you love her since it's obvious!”

“Oh... no,” he sighed, “you thought I was talking about you?” Hakyeon's voice was shaking, as if he was really sorry she had misunderstood him.

“There's no other girl around you except me!” Yoora shouted with a cold tone, apparently a bit mad, “who is she?!”

“Yoora, don't be mad please...” he sighed.

“Why can't it be me?!”

“Because you're not her.”

“Then who is she? What does she have that I don't?! Is there somebody who's better than me?!”

 

Hakyeon did one step back and patted her shoulder. Next he was going to left but Yoora grabbed his wrist and pulled him toward her, their lips crashing together. Byeol gasped and put her hand over , scared that they heard her, and she ran away.

 

*

 

Hakyeon wanted to leave her alone, not wanting to anger Yoora more than she already was, when she grabbed his wrist and pulled him toward her. Before he could react, her lips violently crashed on his. When he heard someone not so far from them, he stepped back and saw a thin silhouette running away in the darkness. “Oh no... who is that?” he frowned.

 

“What does she have that I don't...?” Yoora sobbed.

“Byeol has everything that you don't,” he admitted.

 

The girl let him go and watched him going back to the cabin. 

 


Sorry, this chapter isn't the best yet it's really important for the story. 

I still hoe you liked it, and if you didn't please let me know in the comments and if you liked it please also let me know, it's always good to have your opinion.

As usual, you can subscribe and upvote if you want too and a big thanks to all of you who subscribed and upvoted so far

thx :)

xx

Mae