Friends Really?

Condemned Angel

~ Kim So Eun~
He drove us to the super market. As we entered the super market, he pulled a cart and started to push it around with his hand still holding mine. I pulled away and he looked at me.

“ What do you want to eat?” he asked.

“ Umm I’ll just get some vegetables and noodles.” I said.

I didn’t have enough money to indulge on other things. I grabbed a few packs of noodles that just needed to boiled in water and placed them in the cart. He then grabbed the noodles and put them back on the shelf.

“ What are you doing?” I asked.

“ You can’t just eat noodles, I tried looking around your kitchen for rice but there wasn’t any. You need to eat rice.” Jaejoong stated.

“ I…I …..I can’t afford rice.” I replied and looked down.

I went to grab the noodles again but his hands stopped mine.

“ I’ll pay for things. You don’t need to worry.” He said.

“ No. you can’t pay for my food. I have no relation with you and you already helped me by bringing me here. I can’t accept you paying for my food.” I inquired.

“ It’s ok, let’s say we’re friends. Ok? Let me.” Jaejoong demanded.

“ No! I can’t let you.” I firmly voiced.

“Why? Can’t I help my classmate? Just let me. Please.” he tried to convince me again.

“ Thank you but I promise I will pay you back when I get my paycheck.” I said.

“ You don’t need to but do as you please.” he said.

He really wants to be friends? Can he be my friend? Is my luck changing?

We finished buying groceries. Jaejoong wanted to buy almost everything if I hadn’t stop him. We walked to his car in the parking lot and loading the grocery into his back and got in the car and he started to drive. I just remembered that I needed to visit mama.

“ Ummm….. I need to go to the hospital. Can you please take me there.” I requested.

“ Let’s go home and eat first. You seem like you haven’t eaten anything. After wards I will take you to the hospital. Ok?” he suggested.

I started to speak when he spoke again, “ Please listen to me. Trust me.” he spoke.

I then kept quiet and nodded. He seem to have let out a sigh of relief.

“ Thank you. You are always rejected me. Don’t you get tired of it?” he said amused.

I lightly giggled.

“ No I don’t get tired of it. Don’t you get tired of helping a pathetic girl like me?” I asked.

“ No. I want to help you for some reason. Let’s be friends. People at school won’t bully you and you have someone to talk to. No one should have to keep their feelings bottled up.” he proposed.

“ Really? You don’t mind having a friend like me? I don’t want to get in the way of your popularity.” I soft replied.

“ Really, I am sorry for ignoring you and not caring about you at school the last few days. I was kind of being a jerk.” he said.

“ No, you are not. You are kind hearted to help a person like me. Thank you.” I indicated.

“ No. I should help people who are being bullied and not just stand around and let bullies treat them badly. If I was being bullied I would want people to help me and stand up for me.” he expressed.

“ Don’t worry about it too much. At least you realize it now that is all that matters.” I smiled.

He was really willing to be my friend. I somehow felt really happy and could help but smile as I looked out the window.