Coworkers

The Final Mission - Yongguk

The sun rose proudly the next morning, outfitted in a Gray sheath dress that hugged you perfectly and showing off your legs. Black heels rounded off the outfit as a loose but professional braid cascaded over one of your shoulders. The clicking of your heels against the tile echoed through the stairwell, your purse swinging back and forth with every stride. Descending down to the ground floor, your eyes lifted to see the sleek charcoal grey car sitting just beyond the edge of the curb.

Pushing open the glass doors, you watched as the man behind the wheel turned his head slightly to let his eyes meet yours. A smile pulled on his lips as he rolled down the window and raised his other hand giving you a friendly wave. Returning the wave, you heard him press the unlock button as you approached his car.

“Good morning, Ms. _______” Yongguk greeted with a smile as you pulled open the door.

“Good morning Mr. Bang” You replied with a smile, easing yourself into the passenger seat, closing the door once you were fully inside.

“Here is your morning coffee, just how you like it” Yongguk smiled and lifted the cup from the cup holder closest to you as you thanked him and wrapped your hands around the cup, gently blowing on the contents inside while the aroma of the beverage slowly overtook your senses.

Moving his eyes back to the gauges on the dashboard, shifting the car back into drive, his eyes moved around to a parked car next to a lamp post. Narrowing his vision, he watched as the man behind the wheel slowly lifted a cup up to his lips, pausing before the cup hit his lips, he tipped it off to Yongguk.

“I-Is something wrong?” You questioned feeling the car slow to a stop, Yongguk’s eyes out of his side window and over to the parked car in the distance.

Hearing your voice, he blinked his eyes and turned his attention back to you, “No, are you ready to head to the office?”

“Ready” You smiled and nodded your head, thoughts began to cloud your thoughts as your eyes peered through the rear view window to see a man move behind the wheel of the parked car.

“So…” Yongguk started bringing your attention back to him while his eyes scaled the upcoming road. “Do you know what is planned for today?”

“Whatever Mr. Tsui has us to today” You smiled back, knowing that there was probably paperwork awaiting and calls to make and budgets to put together.

Earning a chuckle from Yongguk, you sipped your coffee with a smile, “Did you finish the paperwork from last night?”

“What is your definition of finish?” You probed, your eyes shifting over to him sitting behind the wheel, for a second, he tore his eyes off of the road and glanced at you, a small smile pulling on his lips.

“I guess I’ll take that as a no” Yongguk smiled, shifting his hands on the wheel so that one hand sat securely at the top, guiding the car across the city streets.

“I finished what I could, but no paperwork is ever completed there, it is always an active file” You corrected as the two of you pulled into the nearby parking garage.

“Hopefully you can get off a little earlier tonight” Yongguk eased his car into a parking spot and shifted his car into park. Twisting the key back to stop the engine, he grasped his coffee cup in the cupholder and pushed open his door.

Gathering your things, you heard your door open as your eyes turned to Yongguk opening your door for you and extending his free hand to you.

“Thank you” You smiled and slipped your hand into his as he helped steady you as you stepped out of his sporty car.

“You’re very welcome, and very beautiful” Yongguk slipped in the compliment causing your cheeks to tint a deep red.

Letting him close the door behind you, he locked the doors with a push of a button before the keys fell into the bottom of his pocket as his other hand held his coffee. Escorting you to the door, Yongguk held open the door for you, walking in first, you passed him with a bashful smile and a voice full of thanks. Walking into the building, you waited for Yongguk to catch up to you as the two of you made your way up to the office.

“Has there been a night this week where you have made it out before dark?” Yongguk questioned as the two of you entered into the elevator

“Hrmmm” You hummed, thinking a moment before you shook your head, “Very rarely do I leave before the sun sets.”

“What do you do if you get out early?” Yongguk probed, his gaze lingering on you as you kept your eyes straight ahead.

“Probably make myself some dinner and watch a movie” You replied, reeling in the hope that you could do that sometime soon.

“If we get done early tonight, would you like to come over for some dinner and a movie?” Yongguk questioned, his brown eyes hopefully gazing at you, your eyes slowly moved and turned your head to look over at Yongguk.

“If we get done early” You smiled, agreeing to the terms knowing that it would take a miracle for the two of you to get out early.

The elevator dinged, alerting you that you had arrived at the floor of your office. Yongguk let you go first as you exited the elevator, walking into the office, you unlocked the glass doors with your key and propped them open before you headed over to your desk. Placing your purse in a locked drawer, you started your computer before your eyes saw that there were more stacks of paper on your desk than the night before.

“Anything I can do to help?” Yongguk set down his coffee on your desk as he could tell that it was going to be a long day.

Giving him a list of things to do, you started on your own list. Sitting down at your desk, you began to look through your email and take calls as they came in. Once Yongguk finished with his list, he pulled up a chair next to you. Giving him some paperwork to file and some numbers to add and balance, you slowly saw your pile of papers tapper away.

“Good morning” Mr. Tsui’s voice sang through the office as both of your heads perked up. Standing to your feet, you bowed to him and moved around Yongguk to open the large doors to his office.

“Good morning, sir. Anything I can get for you this morning?” You questioned as you held open the door for him.

“Just the Nijinsky file and the final budget for the merger please” Mr. Tsui slid off his coat and placed his briefcase onto his desk.

“Of course” You bowed and headed over to your desk. Grabbing the two files he asked for, you folded them into your arms before returning to his office. Handing over the files, you bowed and left quietly before returning to your desk.

“I will need you to sign the final merger file once he has signed it, just so that it is official” You informed Yongguk as he lifted his head and nodded.

“Of course” Yongguk’s voice was quiet as you could tell that he was slightly distracted.

Hours ticked by as you continued to make calls and set up appointments as well as work on new files and try to close old ones. Eventually, Mr. Tsui called you into his office to gather his finished work. Bringing out the finished files, you sat at your desk and looked over both of the documents.

Making sure that both of them were completed to the fullest, you turned to Yongguk as he finished a few of the accounting projects that you had put him on.

“Here is the proposal whenever you are ready” You told him, leaving the file open before him as he just nodded. His fingers tapped against the calculator before his other hand wrote down the numbers that showed on the screen.

Once Yongguk finished with the spreadsheet he was working on, he moved that file over towards you. His attention shifted towards the proposal in front of him, the call from his boss the night before rang in his head. Lifting his eyes to admire you, he felt his heart slightly ache knowing that could come if he liked you.

“Will you excuse me for a moment?” Yongguk questioned, his voice barely above a whisper.

“Of course” You replied with a nod, your fingers dancing across the keys as you input the numbers into the department budget and let out a struggled sigh.

Standing to his feet, Yongguk moved around the desk and headed out of the office for a little break. Rounding the corner past the glass doors, he stopped and turned back to look at you. His heart beating faster while his stomach tightened with excitement. Taking in a deep breath, his hand ran through his hair while he moved down the hall to the small kitchenette on the same floor.

Thoughts moved through his head as he took a break and got a nice cool glass of ice water. Walking back to the office, he paused at the doorway seeing you behind your desk, your fingers twirling your hair around while worry painted over your face. Beauty surrounded you as his heart began to beat faster as just one look. Shifting his weight from one leg to the other, his finger played with the straw that stuck out from the ice water and hung over the lip of the cup.

Observing you for a little while, he saw the stress and worry cover your beautiful face. Raking your fingers through your silky hair, you ruffled the ends of your hair as you leaned back into your seat. Walking in, Yongguk made his way back to his seat and sat down next to you.

“Everything okay?” Yongguk leaned in closer to you, feeling as if something wasn’t going well.

“The budgets aren’t looking good. The merger may not even go through” You turned and let your eyes meet his.

“Is the company going to make it?” Yongguk questioned, caring less if the merger were to go through but more worried that if you were going to have a job in the future.

“Honestly?” You turned and faced him, a nod of his head urged you to proceed.

“I think we have a maximum of a year left, if we keep our clients” You told him honestly, keeping your voice low so that no one else would be able to hear. “Less than that if the merger goes through…”

Yongguk went quiet, knowing that the company was a sinking ship and didn’t have a lot of time left, he saw the uncertainty in your eyes and the worry painted on your face.

“Hey _______” Yongguk used your first name for the first time, “Don’t worry, things are going to turn around”

“How can you be sure?” You questioned, your voice slightly cracking

“Trust me” Yongguk’s eyes peered into yours, the soft chocolate color soothed your racing heart, your worried thoughts slowly ebbed away while he continued to stare into your eyes.

“Okay” You whispered accompanied by a soft nod.

“Just a few more hours then, dinner and a movie” Yongguk winked as you nodded, giving you a new strength, the two of you started to work again as the hours quickly ticked by.

Yongguk kept the ticking hours’ fun and light, the two of you talked about hobbies and past times and memories. Mr. Tsui left the office with the two of you laughing while finishing off your work one pile at a time.

Leaving the office, the two of you happily finished up the last paperwork before you started to close everything up. Shutting down your computer, Yongguk pulled his jacket over his arms and helped tidy up the office to help you.

“Look at that” You sung lighting up your phone to reveal the time.

“Look at what?” Yongguk turned his head around as he looked at you.

“The time, this is a new record” You giggled, lifting your purse, you slipped your phone into your purse before the two of you made your leave out of the office for the night.