Big Brother is Always Watching

The Final Mission - Yongguk

Once the door closed with the two of you inside, you pressed the button to be hoisted up to the top floor. Feeling the butterflies in your stomach, you happily enjoyed the ride of the elevator to the top floor. With a ding, the doors opened and Yongguk allowed you to go first. Stepping out of the elevator, you smiled and waited for him to join you.

“Shall we get some coffee first?” You questioned, knowing that The Loft was the best coffee shop in the city.

“That sounds like a wonderful idea” Yongguk smiled as he stayed next to you while you lead the way.

The walls were lined with glass, beautiful woods and metals, circular tables were elegantly placed across the tiled floor. A calming smell of the roasts that were brewing happily floated around the quaint shop. Padding up to the counter, you were greeted with a smile as you looked up above to see the chalkboard menu.

Ordering something new yet close to what you usually get, you let Yongguk say his order before moving over to the cash register. Paying for his drink and yours, the two of you patiently waited for your drinks. Moseying over to the window, the two of you looked over the expanse of the city, the sun shined over the beautiful buildings while the sun rays happily reflected on the cars below. Breathtaking fluffy clouds were placed perfectly against the pure azure sky.

“Beautiful day, isn’t it?” You questioned, feeling the unsettling feeling of silence around you.

“Not as beautiful as the angel standing next to me” Yongguk shifted his eyes from the outside to you. Parting your lips, you fell speechless, wanting to say something snarky or sarcastic back to him, yet you were saved by a waitress with two to-go cups on her bamboo wooded tray.

“Enjoy your day” The waitress greeted as you took your cup, the one with your name on it, and he took his.

Lifting the cup to your lips, you gently blew on the contents inside, keeping your eyes down, you felt a strange reddening occurring on your cheeks. His words replayed in your head as you could feel his eyes rest upon you. Standing there a moment or two, you felt the hot liquid slip over your tongue. Yongguk’s eyes stayed on you, his thumb brushed over the cardboard runner on the cup allowing the contents inside to cool.

“What other secrets does this building have?” Yongguk questioned after clearing his throat, knowing that you must have other things to do than to give him a tour of the multileveled building.

Lifting your eyes from the disposable cup, your twinkling eyes turned to his as a smile curled on your rosy lips. “I’ll show you”

With that, the two of you headed out of the cozy café to the several floors between the lobby and the penthouse floor. Taking your time with Yongguk, the two of you explored every floor, showing him around the offices and the waiting rooms on every floor.

The sun started to set in the late afternoon, reaching the lower lobby, the slow traffic of people that slowly filed out of the building started to increase as the two of you tossed the disposable cups into the recycling bin in the lobby. Slowing your pace to a stop, Yongguk smiled and turned towards you, his beautiful brown eyes peering into yours.

“Thank you so much for the tour” Yongguk smiled sweetly at you, his eyes softening and causing your heart to swell in your chest.

“You’re welcome, it was my pleasure” You bowed to him, a smile helplessly curling on your lips.

“Hopefully I didn’t take up too much of your time…” Yongguk’s eyes slowly parted from yours, his left hand raising and running through the back of his hair while his watch slid down to the thickest part of his wrist and stopped.

“You didn’t” You shook your head in emphasis, “It was really nice to get out of the office and show you around.”

“Thank you again, I’m glad that you got a break but I should probably leave you to your work.” Yongguk bowed politely and respectfully, “Let me know if you need any more help with the deal.”

“I will, thank you for all of your hard work” You bowed back to him again before Yongguk turned around and joined the small crowd walking towards the front doors.

Slowly turning around, your heels clicked against the tile as you made your way back up to the office. After a while a sigh slowly slipped from your lips, hoping that he enjoyed himself, you reached your office floor and moved behind your desk. Easing yourself down in your seat, your eyes moved to the large piles of paperwork awaiting you.

Running your tongue over your lips, you your desk lamp. Starting up your computer, you pressed your finger to the plate to unlock the confidential files. Tapping your fingers across the keys, you started typing up the proposal for the merger, running the numbers, you set that project aside as you began to work on the stacks of paper that cluttered your desk.

Hours ticked by as the light outside started to fade and the florescent lights overhead took over. Writing on the paperwork, you filed it away and scanned them into the computer, filing them away electronically as well. Playing some upbeat music, you shook away your fatigue as you grabbed the dwindling stack of paperwork. Filing through it, you did what was needed, double checking your numbers and signatures.

Hearing the heavy doors open, you spun around in your chair to see Mr. Tsui closing the heavy door behind him. Greeting him, you stood up and bowed, your hands carefully clasped in front of you.

“Have a good night, sir” You bid to him as he smiled and bowed back

“Thank you, you as well. Try not to stay too late tonight” He smiled as he walked past you slowly

“Yes, sir” You nodded and watched him as he took his leave.

Easing yourself back into your seat after he left, you slipped off your shoes and turned up a little bit of your music and began to work diligently so that the stack of paper before you disappeared. Hours ticked by as you slowly started to fade, your energy was severely low. Running your hand over your eyes, your sore eyes begged for more rubs as your phone chimed and vibrated on your desk.

Removing your hand from your face, you lifted your phone up and slid your thumb across the screen. Tapping on the new message, you tilted your head to one side, unsure who the message was from.

Don’t stay at the office too late

The unknown number had sent you

Who is this?  You texted back

Someone who accompanied you on the tour today J

In that moment you connected the pieces, it was Yongguk.

How’d you get my number? You questioned, a playful tease playing in your mind

It was on the business card that Mr. Tsui gave me in the meeting this morning. I’m sorry if I am bothering you, I just had a question to ask you…

Taking a look at the business cards that sat on your desk, you saw that your number was on the secretary line.

You’re not a bother, what’s your question? You sent back, relaxing back in your seat taking a break.

Mr. Tsui said that I would be working with you for a few days until the Shareholders meeting, I was wondering when you wanted me there tomorrow to start working?

Seeing his text, your heart dropped, not knowing what he could do, you knew that you have had an odd feeling about him, how kind he has been to you and the way that he hasn’t been all business tipped you off that he might have more than one motive.

Tomorrow morning at 8 am should be good You typed back

Great! See you a little before 8 then! Yongguk replied as you slid your phone onto your desk as you turned your attention to the work before you.

Zoning out a moment, your eyes focused on your fingers slightly lifted above the keys on the keyboard. Tuning into yourself, you felt your heart beat slightly faster than normal. Having a hunch, you lifted one of your hands up and rested it against your reddened cheek.

“No, this isn’t happening” You told yourself as you adjusted in your seat, crossing one leg over the other, “He is just a business man, he will leave in two weeks after the shareholders meeting and you will still be sitting here.”

Trying to convince yourself, you brushed off the slowly growing feelings for him as your eyes wondered over to your phone. Shaking your head, you brushed off the thoughts of him as you tried to work a little more before you couldn’t take it anymore.

--

Standing in front of his large windows, only a soft light from the kitchen highlighted the furniture in the conjoined space. A black t shirt hugged his built shoulders, his broad chest that tapered down to his smaller hips. A black and grey plaid pajama pants hung from his hips and encased his toned legs while his mind wondered through the dark of night. Scanning his eyes across the skyscape of the buildings that molded into the horizon. Locating the Wu-Tsui Law Firm, Yongguk saw an office on one of the top floors still lit.

Grabbing his binoculars from his bedroom, he headed back out and lifted the binoculars to his eyes. Focusing the scope, he zoomed in and saw you behind the desk, your fingers moving across the keys of the keyboard before he watched you shut down your computer and gather your purse.

Slipping his hand into his pocket, he pulled up your number but before his thumbs could type anything, his mind froze. Lifting his eyes and peering through the binoculars, he watched you grab your phone and walk out of the office, turning off the lights before taking the stairs down to the lobby.

Dropping his eyes from the binoculars, his eyes drifted down to the conversation resting on his phone. A sigh escaped his lips as he moved around the coffee table and eased himself down into the chocolate leather couch. Picking up his feet, he rested them on the edge of the coffee table while his thumb slowly scrolled to the top of the conversation as he slowly reread it over and over again.

The gravel like voice of his boss faded into his thoughts, “You cannot fall in love”

Closing his eyes harshly, Yongguk let his head fall back against the cushions of the couch. “I like her; I don’t love her”

With his mumbled statement, his heart began to take over his mind, replaying the first time that he saw you how your hair flowed while you walked, your grace at keeping yourself upright on your beautifully intimidating heels. Dazing in your beauty, his heart began to beat faster the more he thought of you.

Ringing from his phone scared him to death as his hands juggled the phone between his hands. Focusing on the caller his heart stopped seeing that it was his boss. Accepting the call, he sat forward while his elbow rested on his leg.

“What do cards and changing a tire have in common?” The husky, gravel like voice asked when he answered the call.

“A spare” Yongguk answered, passing the test, the boss cleared his throat getting down to business.

“How’s it going?” He probed, already knowing the progress.

“It is going well, I got into the Shareholders meeting, the funds will be transferred to your company within the week.” Yongguk informed

“What about the Wu-Tsui Law Firm?” The boss questioned, leaning back causing his chair to groan with the shift of the weight.

“What about them?” Yongguk blinked a few times unsure what he was getting at.

“I want them destroyed, pulled under, bankrupt.” The boss clarified, “I want them finished”

“S-Sir, that wasn’t part of our initial plan” Yongguk stood his ground

“Plan change” The boss smiled as he could feel something not right with Yongguk, “Is that a problem?”

Yongguk paused, his mind running with thoughts of you and where you would go.

“You knew what you signed up for.” The boss reminded him, “It is because of that girl?”

The breath caught in Yongguk’s throat, “No, sir”

“You sure? You seem to really like her” The boss fondled his goatee that grew on his chin, “A perfect target…”

“Sir, I am using her to get in with Mr. Tsui, the boss.” Yongguk explained holding back the desperation in his voice.

“Then you won’t have a problem with bringing down the company, now will you?” The boss questioned, the dark tone in his voice bleeding over his words.

“I’ll see what I can do” Yongguk’s eyes nervously moved from any and every object that was around him.

“No, you don’t see, you do” The boss corrected sternly, “If you aren’t able to do it, then I will have someone else finish the job.”

“Yes, sir. I understand” Yongguk backed off and took the added assignment.

With that, he ended the call, leaving Yongguk in the dark, his heart in shambles and his mind scrambling for his next move. Running his hand through his hair, he let his phone fall to the coffee table that his hand was hanging over. Closing his eyes, his hands tried to calm him through his own touch, yet his mind focused on you.

Grabbing his phone from the mirror like shine on the coffee table, he opened up the conversation with you.

Are you home yet? Yongguk texted frantically, his eyes focused on the screen, wanting to see what you would reply.

Just walked through the door, what’s up? You sent back, a wave of relief slowly rolled over him

I was wondering if I could pick you up tomorrow and give you a ride to work? Yongguk questioned with a few motives behind his question, one being he wants to protect you, the other is that he likes you.

You really don’t have to…

 I want to, besides I’ll bring you coffee Yongguk tried to bribe

You don’t know my order though…

Yongguk came back quickly with the coffee that you had ordered before your tour that the two of you went on. Running out of reasons, you agreed and gave him directions to your place. Leaving your apartment number out of the equation, you told him that you would meet outside. Describing the car that he would pick you up in, the two of you made arrangements for the next morning before bidding each other a goodnight.