Challenge Accepted

The Final Mission - Yongguk

Shadows cast from the high hanging sun, two brick walls concealed an ebony car snuggly tucked between the dumpsters and recycling receptacles from the neighboring businesses. Two men occupied the front bench, one behind the wheel and the other in the passenger seat. A puff of smoke slowly emerged from the man’s lips as he sat behind the wheel before he blew out the rest from his oral cavity.

“You know your job right?” The smoke spilled over his speaking lips while his leather like skin crinkled on either side of his eyes as the elderly man glanced over to the younger man sitting in the passenger seat.

“Yes sir” The young man nodded his head, his eyes forward and his mind weighted down with the task that was about to commence.

“We only need to get into the shareholders meeting, make sure you are there no matter what provisions or sacrifices must be made” The elder man advised, taking in another shot of his cigarette as the white smoke fell from his cracked lips.

“Yes sir” The young man answered once more.

“Here is your badge and the paperwork necessary for the meeting today.” The elder reached into his suit coat and pulled out a modified executive badge, “I’ll drop you off here, may the meeting be a success. Best of luck Yongguk.”

Knowing that there would be eyes around already due to the location of the car, Yongguk nodded, grabbed the badge and slipped it into his inside coat pocket. Gathering his brief case, he pulled the handle on the door.

“Remember if you fail” The leader wiggled his ring finger knowing that Yongguk would lose that appendage, at least, if he didn’t complete this mission to completion.

“Failure isn’t in my vocabulary” Yongguk stepped out of the opened door, pulled down his jacket before closing the door and stood upright. Nodding his head, the elderly man slid back in his seat while Yongguk fixed his tie and buttoned his coat before emerging from the shadows.

Standing tall and confident, he strolled down the sidewalk, looking through his darkened sunglasses, his stride was even and graceful causing a few heads to turn in the process. Passing by a group of younger girls, they all stopped and turned towards him, covering their mouths they whispered how handsome the passing man was in the well fitted suit.

Walking the few blocks to the beautifully modern building, Yongguk turned and headed up the breathtaking marble steps. Walking through one of the revolving doorways, his eyes lifted to the large lobby that was a perfect mixture of function and form.

Slowing his steps slightly, he made his way to the stainless steel front desk, standing in front of the desk, the receptionist smiled as she was on the phone. Wrapping up the call politely, she pressed her finger against her touch screen computer and transferring her message there before she smiles and looked up at Yongguk standing tall on the other side.

“How may I help you, sir?” The secretary inquired, batting her long eye lashes at him while her fingers were at the ready to do whatever he requested.

“I have a meeting with Mr. Tsui” Yongguk stood tall as she looked him over before moving her eyes to her screen.

“May I have your name?” She questioned, her fingers at the ready on her glass keyboard.

“Bang Yongguk” He answered confidently, showing his badge with the company seal in the left hand corner of his picture.

The receptionist ran his name and the time of his meeting as she looked over his badge to make sure he was secure to enter.

“Here is your security clearance and your visitor badge for this building” She stood up and handed over a paper folded with a visitor badge inside. “You will need to show all of this again when you find Ms. _______, Mr. Tsui’s personal secretary.”

“Thank you, ma’am” Yongguk bowed, slipping the guest pass onto his left pocket next to his other badge.

Wondering over to the glass elevator, he pressed the button as the doors opened and he stepped inside. Scanning his guest badge upon entering, the elevator programed itself on the instructions that the secretary had preset. Closing the doors, he stepped back and looked out the glass walls seeing the company as he ascended to the fifty fifth penthouse floor.

Opening of the doors, he stepped out as a pair of white French doors welcomed him into a smaller lobby, this one outfitted with leather couches and seats and high end finishes and art. A beautiful white antique desk sat between two large windows. A breathtaking girl sat on the other side of the desk, her legs crossed underneath, one foot tapping to the soft music playing overhead. Watching her fingers move with the paperwork she filled out between the folders.

Yongguk cleared his throat quietly and moved his free hand up to his necktie, making sure that it was straight, he flattened out the front of his coat. Taking in a deep breath, he closed his eyes for a moment before approaching.

A soft padding of feet on the bamboo wood floor caught your attention as you looked up from the confidential folder and closed the colored folder as you rested your arm over top of it.

“Hello, may I help you?” You questioned, your eyes scanning the man that stood before you in a perfectly fitted suit and a briefcase. Noticing his visitor badge along with his company badge, your eyes moved to his as you felt your heart flutter slightly at the handsome man before you.

“I have a meeting with Mr. Tsui. I understand I am a little early” Yongguk explained as he reached your desk.

“When is your appointment?” You questioned, moving to your hands to the glass keyboard as it lit up under your touch.

“He should be expecting me at ten” Yongguk answered, shaking his left hand and freeing his watch from under his cuff linked white shirt, checking the time.

Dancing your fingers across the glass keyboard, your eyes wondered over the screen as you saw his appointments come to light.

“Can I verify your name?” You questioned, moving your eyes over to the man.

“Here is the visitor badge and the paperwork from the front desk as well as my Proof of Employment and badge as well.” Yongguk laid the paper and badges across your desk just like folding a pair of fanned out cards to show your fortune.

Scanning in the visitor’s badge and the paperwork from the lobby, you moved to his Proof of Employment and badge. Turning on a light, you moved his badge under the light, careful to look for any sort of fraud. A churning feeling settled in the bottom of your gut as you moved to your computer and went to the archives of the DLA Piper Lawfirm. Searching their employee database, you didn’t find any employee by his Social Security Number nor was his employment number in their archives.

“Give me one moment” You stood up from your desk, pressing your finger against the bottom right corner of the screen, locking it to your finger print.

“Take your time” Yongguk reassured, stepping away from his desk.

Taking his paperwork, you balanced yourself on your black heels as they clicked across the floor as you approached the large cherry door with black hinges that lined the edges with metal. Knocking on the door, you waited three seconds before you turned the cool metal handle and pushed open the heavy door.

“Yes Ms. _______?” Your boss, Mr. Tsui called from behind his desk.

“I have a gentleman outside; he is from DLA Piper Lawfirm.” You stepped inside his office and closed the door behind you, “I was wondering if you were expecting him and if you wouldn’t mind checking over the authentication of these documents.”

Waving his hand, you walked over to his desk and placed his badge and the folded paper on his desk. Taking a step back, Mr. Tsui grasped his glasses resting on his desk and balanced them on the bridge of his nose. Unfolding the documents, you kept your eyes lowered as he took his time looking over everything.

“Send him in, just make sure you put him in the system” Mr. Tsui ordered as you nodded, grasping the documents again, you moved back outside and handed them back to Yongguk.

“He is expecting you, you may head in when you are ready” You showed him the door as Yongguk nodded, taking in a deep breath, he smiled at you while you opened the door for him and he stepped in.

Once you heard Mr. Tsui greet Yongguk, you closed the door fully and headed back to your desk to dive into who this Bang Yongguk was and if he really worked for the DLA Piper Lawfirm. Pressing your finger against the right lower corner of your computer, the screen lit up and all of your work was saved as you began to type quickly.

Digging up anything and everything about Yongguk, you worked for a solid hour as you had compiled a file for him. Printing off the documents, you made a folder for him and went back to your paperwork. Adding sums and reviewing the cases for Mr. Tsui, you heard the large door open as you lifted your hand and tucked some hair behind your ear.

“Ms. _______” Mr. Tsui called as you sat up and gave him your full attention, “Get Mr. Bang a longer appointment and a seasonal visitor pass, just until the Stockholders meeting in three months.”

“Yes, sir.” You nodded and turned to your computer and began working on the latest request from your boss.

“It was very nice to meet you Mr. Bang and I am pleased that we will be working so closely together for the next few months.” Mr. Tsui offered his hand to Yongguk to shake, happy to make his acquaintanceship.

“The pleasure is all mine, Mr. Tsui” Yongguk bowed and shook his hand respectfully before he wrapped up politely and headed over to your desk to fill out any and all information that you needed upon Mr. Tsui’s request.

The large door closed as Yongguk’s brown eyes turned to you, moseying over to your desk, he set down his briefcase down by his feet.

“You may want to pull up a chair, I have a little bit for you to fill out” You smiled at him, offering him a chair, he gladly took it and sat on the other side of your desk. Handing over a tablet, you had him fill out all necessary paperwork to give him the clearance he needed.

“Excuse me, what is your name?” Yongguk looked up from the tablet as his eyes met yours.

“Pardon me?” You questioned, taken a little back that he asked for your name.

“I need your name for this application” Yongguk sat up and showed you the screen.

“Oh, I’m sorry” You began to blush a little more as you quickly typed in your name and allowed him to move on with the application.

“May I get you a drink Mr. Bang?” You questioned, standing to your feet, needing to grab the afternoon tea for Mr. Tsui.

“Anything you bring back will be fine with me” Yongguk smiles as he looks over his shoulder at you.

“I’ll bring back some tea then” You smiled as he nodded his head in agreement. Leaving him to his paperwork, you headed out of the little sitting area and turned down the hall to the small kitchenette in one of the corner rooms.

Making some tea, just how Mr. Tsui liked it, you placed the two tea cups on a tray along with the tea pot and carefully grabbed the handles and carried it back to your quarters. Rounding the corner, you walked over to your desk and carefully placed a tea cup in front of Yongguk. Pouring him a glass, you smiled and checked over that he was doing his paperwork before heading over towards the large doors.

Knocking lightly, you heard his soft voice beacon you inside. Pushing open the door with your hip, you smiled as you bowed and walked over to his being quiet as you noticed that he was on a phone call. Walking over to his desk, you carefully placed the tray down on the corner of his desk and poured him a cup of tea before you backed a few steps, bowed and exited quietly so that he could finish his call.

Closing the door quietly behind you, you walked back to your desk and began to file some papers into the drawers that you had beside your desk. Watching Yongguk out of the corner of your eye, you watched him lift the cup from the saucer and blow on it slightly before sipping a little bit of the tea inside.

“Mmmm” Yongguk hummed, his noise catching your attention as your eyes lifted up as he smiled and lifted an eye brow before taking another sip.

“I hope it is to your liking” You whispered as you gently sat in your chair.

“It’s more than I thought it would be” Yongguk smiled sweetly towards you as he gently returned the cup into the dip in the saucer.

“Why thank you, Mr. Tsui’s special” You bowed politely to thank him for the compliment.

“I’ll keep that in mind” Yongguk smiled and signed the last spot on the packet before he turned the tablet back around to you. “Would you mind checking over this and making sure that I got everything for today?”

“Of course” You nodded and scanned the document thoroughly, “All the paperwork is done, I am going to grab your badge and some documents for you to look over and I will be right back.”

Standing back up to your feet, you headed down the hall in the opposite direction of the kitchenette and grabbed the copies and the badge that you had made for him. Heading back to the office, you pressed the packets with paperclips and made a nice little packet for him with his badge sitting on top.

“There you are, if you have any questions or concerns please let me know. My card is stapled to the front of the top sheet” You tapped your finger against your business card as he took the paper from your hands and quickly thumbed through it before he slipped it into his briefcase.

“Thank you so much for all of your hard work and what you have done today.” Yongguk rose to his feet to greet you.

“You’re very welcome and thank you for your interest in Wu-Tsui Law Firm” You thanked him with a deeper bow than before.

Lifting your eyes back to his, he gave you a soft smile before turning and walking out of your office until he reached the elevator. Pressing the button, the stainless steel doors opened and he stepped inside. Sitting down at your desk, you pulled out some more paperwork as Yongguk dreamily watched you until the elevator doors closed fully in front of him.