"Am I getting an answer yet?"

Message Sending
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Junhui is bold.
Minghao is italics.

[July 31, Sunday]

(8:29AM) Are you awake yet?

(8:31AM) The real question is what are you doing awake already?

(8:31AM) Who are you and what have you done with Junhui?

(8:32AM) I can wake up early sometimes.

(8:32AM) Sure.

(8:32AM) Okay fine. Seungcheol dropped by.

(8:33AM) That guy wakes up at the crack of dawn.

(8:34AM) He heard about last night and wanted to ask us about it. I’m pretty sure Wonwoo and Mingyu are still asleep though, but they’ll wake up in a bit, so now I’m just sitting here in the kitchen while Cheol makes some kind of healthy breakfast with whatever we have.

(8:34AM) At least you’re getting proper breakfast.

(8:34AM) Yup! Good morning, Minghao.

(8:35AM) Bit late for that, but sure, good morning.

(8:35AM) At least I get to talk to you earlier today!

(8:35AM) You’re so cheesy.

(8:35AM) Only for you.

 

 

“Is that Minghao you’re texting?” Seungcheol asked, dropping a plate of hard boiled eggs in front of Junhui, who winced at the sight and wished he hadn’t brought up that all they had for breakfast—along with lunch and dinner sometimes—would be a bowl of cereal. Still, at least Seungcheol decided to cook by himself. “He’s awake early.”

“He wakes up early often,” Junhui said, smiling a little when he remembered the way Minghao complained about it before.

“You should try and be like your boyfriend more.”

“Yeah, that’s—“ The blonde was beginning to say, before quickly backtracking once he realized what  the other said, a light flush appearing on his cheeks. “Wait, no! He’s not my boyfriend yet. I mean, I don’t know if he will be, but—I mean sure, I’m hoping for something, but really, it’s—“

Seungcheol’s laugh cut him off, an amused grin on his face, “relax, Jun, I was just teasing.”

“Right,” the Chinese boy mumbled, still feeling the warmth on his face. “Woops.”

It didn’t help his situation that ever since he woke up, Junhui’s had a hard time keeping thoughts about Minghao out of his mind. It also didn’t help that he had to repeat most of last night’s events to Seungcheol, which meant the Chinese boy had to relive those moments himself, too. He brought up the way Mingyu and Wonwoo had showed up with a sigh, while the other boy laughed about it. There was one thing Junhui kept out of his stories, though.

Last night, Minghao had walked him back to the dorms.

They left a little bit earlier than the other boys before the night ended, who all gave them knowing looks, but thankfully nobody had tried to interfere. Their friends knew when to give them space when necessary. It wasn’t going to be a long walk since the dorms were just a good ten minutes away, but Junhui had been really happy about it regardless. He was pretty disappointed when Minghao initially pointed out that he lived farther away.

It was a quiet and calm walk back. The two didn’t really say much to each other for the first few minutes, until Junhui brought up something dumb that Mingyu had said, which led to him explaining the whole instance of why Mingyu had decided that microwaving peanut butter was a good idea. The whole time, Minghao would chuckle a bit and comment here and there, but he stayed silent himself.

They walked with their hands brushing against each other so often, that Junhui decided to just go for it.

At least, he had planned to hold Minghao’s hand.

He was beaten to it by the brunette by just a second. Needless to say, that ended up a pleasant surprise, despite how Junhui could feel his heart threatening to jump out of his chest with each new step they took. Minghao had done it so smoothly, not a single word or change in his expression as he did so, despite the ever present blush that both boys had all night. That was a good sign, right?

Junhui wished the night never had to end.

Alas, they were rounding the last corner before they reached the dorms. Neither boy had spoke a word since the moment they held hands, the silence both comforting and deafening at the same time. Too many times, Junhui was tempted to fill the silence, but also just didn’t want to ruin the mood. Minghao kept his eyes trained in front of him or his surroundings, but never on Junhui himself, despite how the latter would steal glances once in a while.

The blonde decided to let out a small chuckle, “holding hands on the first date? I didn’t expect this from you.”

“Bold of you to assume this is a date.”

“Holding hands without even dating first, then?” Junhui answered back without missing a beat, grin widening when he noticed the way Minghao was also smiling despite himself. He gave an exaggerated scandalous gasp. “I don’t know if I should be glad or worried. How many hearts have you snatched this way, Minghao? Am I another poor victim?”

Minghao rolled his eyes, “you’re so dramatic. Should I let go?”

“No,” the other boy replied quickly, tightening his hold on Minghao’s hand before he could stop himself and before Minghao could even jokingly pull away a bit. 

 

 

 

(8:36AM) Sure, okay.

(8:36AM) So what healthy breakfast are you having?

(8:37AM) Hard boiled eggs. With no seasoning.

(8:37AM) Sounds delicious.

(8:38AM) I can’t tell if you’re serious or not.

(8:38AM) Of course I am.

(8:38AM) Not.

(8:38AM) But, it is healthier than your usual, so I’m glad.

(8:39AM) Awwww, you care for me!

(8:39AM) Debatable.

(8:40AM) You can’t fool me any longer, Minghao.

(8:40AM) I know you’re head over heels for me.

(8:40AM) I don’t blame you one bit.

(8:40AM) When did I ever say that?

(8:41AM) Besides, I’m pretty sure it’s the other way around, Junhui.

(8:41AM) Wow.

(8:41AM) Since when did you get cocky?

(8:42AM) It’s good on you, though.

(8:43AM) It’s your influence, I assure you.

(8:43AM) I’m such a good influence, aren’t I?

(8:43AM) You can call it that, sure.

(8:44AM) I don’t deny what you just said though.

(8:44AM) That said…

(8:44AM) Am I getting an answer yet?

(8:45AM) I said two weeks.

(8:45AM) It’s soooo faaar awayyyy.

(8:46AM) Patience is a virtue.

(8:46AM) Curiousity will kill the cat!

(8:47AM) Do you realize that kind of works against you?

(8:47AM) Why would I want you dead?

(8:47AM) But satisfaction brought it back.

(8:48AM) I told you I know my idioms!

 

 

“Answer? What’s he answering?” Wonwoo asked, appearing from behind Junhui’s shoulder, nearly giving the Chinese boy a heart attack. “Also, what’s Seungcheol doing here?”

“Feeding you guys a proper breakfast, apparently,” Seungcheol replied, heading back to the kitchen to prepare more eggs for everybody to eat. Wonwoo didn’t question it, ch

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter