"See you tomorrow."

Message Sending
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Guess who decided to finish this chapter at 3AM instead of sleeping? I was going to wait until Junhao Day to upload this, until I figured, why wait? Here’s to hoping I finish the rest of my Junhao drafts in time, though.

Junhui is bold.
Minghao is italics.
Soonyoung is represented by *asterisks around his text.*

 

[July 29, Friday]

(1:17PM) I feel like we should get to know each other more.

(1:19PM) What do you mean, exactly?

(1:19PM) Wanna play a question game?

(1:20PM) That's way too cliche, Junhui. 

(1:20PM) And a bit too late, don't you think? It's been 8 days. 

(1:21PM) Still, I'm sure there's always more to know. 

(1:22PM) What if we run out of things to talk about on Saturday?

(1:22PM) I doubt it, you're very interesting.

(1:22PM) That, and I can talk forever, trust me.

(1:23PM) Oh, I believe you. The second part at least. 

(1:23PM) I'm still very hurt about last night. 

(1:23PM) I've already apologized!

 (1:24PM) I really didn't mean to fall asleep while you were talking about the movie.

(1:24PM) You were the one who wanted to talk about it!!!

(1:25PM) I know, but then I got tired, rested my eyes...

(1:25PM) It's because of my soothing voice, huh?

(1:26PM) Let's not go that far. 

(1:26PM) You owe me. 

(1:27PM) Owe you what?

(1:27PM) A night of staying awake? ;) 

(1:29PM) I value my sleep. 

(1:30PM) Fine. How about more calls? 

(1:30PM) I can deal with that. 

(1:30PM) Great! 

 

Minghao had almost, just almost forgotten how careful he had to be when it came to what he told Junhui. The other boy acted faster than a normal person should at times, which was made apparent soon enough by the way his phone vibrated in his hand only a few seconds after Junhui's last message. He contemplated ignoring it, but he didn't really have reason to. His afternoon classes were cancelled again so he was back home, and he knew Junhui's next class was a good 4 hours away. Both boys were well aware of the facts. 

Mentally steeling himself for whatever Junhui decided to discuss about, he answered the call. 

"And here I thought you weren't going to answer!" came the immediate little whine. 

"It was pretty tempting."

"I know you can never resist me." 

"Do you want to experience a dropped call again?"

That earned Minghao a breathless laugh from the other end of the phone, followed by a too-cheerful, "of course not!" Unsure how to reply, he waited a few sure seconds before Junhui spoke again. 

"You know, we haven't discussed what happens after we meet."

"If you find me."

"I plan to. It's not like you'll hide on purpose, right?"

"I guess not. All this would be pretty pointless if I did. So what do you want to do?"

"Well, since we're definitely going to win and celebrate, how about you come with us?"

"Excuse me?" Minghao scoffed despite the smile tugging at his lips. "You mean when Pledis wins and you're the one who has to come with us?"

"Either way," Junhui replied without missing a beat, and the brunette could almost surely imagine the bright smile on the boy's face, which had a lot to do with actually knowing how Junhui looked and smiled to begin with. "You meet my friends or I meet yours. That sounds pretty fun!"

The thought was admittedly more nerve wracking than fun. Sure, he's technically met Mingyu and Wonwoo if the few times over the phone counted; he's met Jisoo for sure, even if Junhui had yet to know. He'd probably have to meet with Seungcheol too; Jeonghan would never let him live that down. Still, they were Junhui's friends, parts of his life and most likely big ones at that, and Minghao meeting them? Even just thinking about it made everything feel like it was suddenly advancing a level higher, which was a bit too much to take, especially on their first day of actually meeting. 

Junhui sounded genuinely excited though, while Minghao soon realized it was his turn to reply and blurted out what he could before the sudden silence could be pointed out. 

"You say that now, but wait till you have to endure the strong school spirit and realize slowly that Carat Science University has lost and there's no escape. Pledis will consume you."

"Wow, Minghao. That went dark. Is this what all arts students are like?"

"What if it is?"

"I accept you."

Minghao rolled his eyes regardless of being unseen, "of course you do."

"And your friends."

"I'm sure they're thankful."

"So what do you say about that plan, though?"

"Uhm, well," the brunette started to say, before deciding that sometimes honesty was the best policy. "I don't mind you meeting my friends. I'm a bit nervous about the opposite of that though, but we're going to win so I shouldn't worry."

"Why? You've already met most of my friends."

Once again, Minghao's thoughts fluttered back to meeting Jisoo. 

"If anything, I should be the nervous one. I don't hear a lot from your friends."

"I'm sure they'll like you."

"I'm sure they'll like me, too!"

"I take it back."

"My friends already like you, so you really have less worries," Junhui said reassuringly after chuckling at his small joke. "You've helped us with countless food problems already, plus they hear me talk about you way too much."

"I still take it back."

"Aw, really? I kind of want your friends to like me though."

There was a clear pause after that, a few seconds too long, but too short for Minghao to take the time to say something to fill it in. Also because it felt like Junhui had stopped rather abruptly and that there was something missing. Sure enough, he was met with Junhui's voice again a few more seconds later, a surprising nervous edge to his normally confident tone of speaking. 

"Is that okay? That I want your friends to like me?"

Caught off-guard by the sudden question, Minghao began to nod before realizing that was pretty dumb. He wished this was done through texting instead of through a call; he was pretty sure actually hearing the nervousness clear as day in Junhui's voice was the most surprising thing. What does he have to be nervous about after all? That, and also because he was pretty sure he let the silence stretch a bit too long again. He really should say something.

"I mean," Minghao began to say, still trying to formulate his words better. "Why wouldn't it be okay? Unless you plan to steal my friends."

Thankfully, the small joke worked, and whatever awkward air of tension they had—surprisingly palpable despite it being a phone call—disappeared with Junhui's burst of laughter. 

"The only thing I plan to steal is your heart, Minghao."

Really? Such a cliche line shouldn't have made Minghao suddenly blush, especially since it wasn't the first time Junhui had flirted around, but maybe there was just something in the way the call had been going that made him a bit more vulnerable to his feelings. His feelings. Whatever they were. It was still a bit too surreal to think about things that deeply just yet. He'd settle for friends unless otherwise stated. 

"Sweep me off my feet and all that?"

"Of course! I'm sure by now you're at least, like, one foot off the ground." 

"Not really."

"One toe off the ground?"

Minghao burst out laughing at the incredulous statement, certain that his momentary lack of composure made Junhui grin on the other end, but he couldn't help it, "one toe? Really? Try harder."

"Tomorrow for sure."

Honestly, Minghao had almost forgotten it was tomorrow. 

"I almost forgot what tomorrow meant. I  can't believe it's finally tomorrow."

The brunette cleared his throat, "yeah, same here."

"We still haven't decided what to do, exactly. What do you suggest?"

"Can we just see how it goes when we do meet?" Minghao asked tentatively. He didn't want to voice out his actual concern—that Junhui wouldn't be as enthusiastic about things once they've actually met—but there must have been something in the way he asked that Junhui picked up on, regardless. There was the added fact that sooner or later, Junhui was going to remember seeing him at Chickie's; if not him, then Jisoo, and he'd have to confess to searching Junhui up before that, too.

"You're worried about something," Junhui stated rather than asked. 

"Maybe a little."

"Care to tell me?"

"It's nothing important."

"Hey," the other boy said, tone suddenly serious and catching Minghao by surprise once more that day. "You wouldn't worry over a small thing. If I can get rid of that worry, I will, so please tell me?"

After a few seconds he quickly added, tone lighter, "let your dear Junhui flirt with those worries and whisk them away."

Minghao bit back a laugh, "are you admitting your flirting drives people away?" 

"You're still here, aren't you?"

"You've been flirting with me?"

"Ouch. I must have been pretty bad at it if you had to ask."

"Of course not," Minghao began to say as sarcastically as possible, once again ignoring the flush on his cheeks. "You clearly showed how interested you were. In yourself, at least." 

"I have to make sure you know all my good points," Junhui replied promptly. "Which in my case, just happens to be everything." 

That wasn't a lie, Minghao thought to himself, but Junhui didn't need to know that. 

"Sure, Junhui."

"Hey, I want a nickname."

"You want a what?"

"A nickname. For me. From you. Like how your nickname from me is Haohao—"

At that, Minghao promptly hung up. He needed a good reason to get out of possibly calling Junhui a cute nickname out loud; he could always opt to give a dumb sounding one, too, since it’s not like he found Haohao to sound cute. Definitely not, no matter what Junhui thought. He could probably do it through text though, but also because Junhui was easier to ignore without actually hearing his voice.

 


(1:42PM) You dropped the call again!!!

(1:42PM) It was going so well.

(1:43PM) My heart is crushed, as always.

(1:43PM) I warned you about that nickname, Junhui.

(1:43PM) You dug that hole yourself.

(1:43PM) I just want a nickname. Can you still give me one?

(1:45PM) Jun.

(1:45PM) That’s so simple!

(1:47PM) It’s a nickname, nicknames are supposed to be simple.

(1:47PM) I want a cute one.

(1:48PM) I’m not calling you Junjun.

(1:49PM) You admit it’ll sound cute though!

(1:49PM) It’s Jun or nothing.

(1:50PM) One would think an art student would have more creative nicknames.

(1:52PM) Huihui sounds weird.

(1:52PM) Junnie.

(1:53PM) That’s cute! Can I be called Junnie?

(1:53PM) No.

(1:54PM) Why would you give me such false hope?

(1:54PM) I’ll call you that when you deserve it.

(1:55PM) Like when I’m cute?

(1:56PM) I thought you were always cute?

(1:56PM)!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(1:56PM) What?

(1:57PM) You called me cute!!!!!

(1:57PM) What

(1:57PM) No

(1:57PM) I was saying

(1:57PM) I’m cute!!!

(1:58PM) I meant 

(1:58PM) That’s something you would say!

(1:58PM) But I didn’t say it, you did!

(1:58PM) I wish this happened during the call.

(2:00PM) I’m glad this didn’t happen during the call.

(2:00PM) Calling me cute is nothing to be ashamed of, Minghao!

(2:01PM) I call you cute all the time.

(2:03PM) Both statements are a mistake.

(2:04PM) Just one of them. I’m sure you’re cute.

(2:04PM) How can you be so sure?

(2:04PM) I just am.

(2:05PM) Meanwhile, the other statement is because you’re right…

(2:05PM) I’m not cute…

(2:06PM) Junhui? Are you sick or something?

(2:07PM) I’m more of handsome, gorgeous, dazzling, hot…

(2:07PM) Definitely something wrong with you. 

(2:08PM) I thought you already believed I was good looking? 

(2:08PM) I'm sure you could visualize me pretty clearly, or should I describe myself again? 

(2:09PM) No thanks. 

(2:11PM) What are you wearing tomorrow?

(Minghao glanced at the clothes he had bought with Jeonghan, already hanging on a chair by his closet.)

(2:12PM) I don't know yet. 

(2:12PM) I won't tell you even if I knew, you're gonna have to find me without clues.

(2:13PM) I'm sure it won't be that hard. Just gotta look for a dark haired cutie. 

(2:13PM) I wondered how you knew for a moment before I remembered I told you.

(2:13PM) Yeah, I didn't forget your description. 

(2:14PM) Huge eyes that hold the stars in the sky, too. 

(2:14PM) What if you don't recognize me regardless?

(2:15PM) Trust me on this one, Minghao, I will. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter