Mr. Headphones

Unbreakable || Jeon Jungkook

- Yerin’s POV -

 

The day started out pretty ordinary. The bright sun shone through my curtains as it arose in the early morning. I got out of bed and headed to the kitchen to grab some breakfast only to find that we absolutely have no food. Hana and I had forgotten to go grocery shopping. We’d been eating out this entire time.

 

Hana was still fast asleep in her bedroom, so I decided I would go to the grocery store myself and cook us both some breakfast. She won’t be up for a while. She’s a really heavy sleeper. One time, I accidentally slammed the door hard while she was sleeping, and she didn’t budge one bit.

 

I went to my room to change. I threw on a pair of blue jeans, a grey hoodie, black converse, and a black beanie before heading to the grocery store down the block. Once I was done changing, I got going, taking my wallet, apartment keys, and phone.

 

The grocery store was pretty big. It had many sections for meat, seafood, a bakery section, vegetables, and a lot more. What should I make for us? I thought to myself. Omelet.

 

I walked over to the section where they had the eggs. They had many brands with many sizes stacked up on one side. I grabbed one carton of eggs and opened it, picking each and every egg up, observing to see if any of them were cracked. As I was observing the eggs, I felt something hard hit me in the back, causing the white, oval eggs to fall out of the carton and onto the floor, smashing into pieces. Splat. I gasped in shock.

 

“Ssss… you should really watch where you’re going,” a familiar voice behind me said. I turn around to look at the jerk who bumped into me. 

 

It was him. The boy who had run into me back at the apartment building the other day. He was leaning against a stack of boxes with one leg crossed over the other. He took off his red headphones and put them around his neck.

 

“Uh, me?!” I scoffed.

 

“Who else? You were the ones that broke the eggs right?” he replied.

 

“Well, I wouldn’t have dropped them if you hadn’t bumped into me.” I argued.

“Uh, well, you should have been watching where you were standing,” he retaliated.  I felt my face getting hotter.  “You look familiar. Weren’t you the dude that ran into me the other day? Pfft! You’re clumsy.” He smirked. I took a step towards him, throwing the carton on the floor.

 

“I am not a dude! And for your information, you were the one that ran into me.” I spat back at him.

 

“Huh,” he scoffed. “Whatever. You should really get this cleaned up. And pay for it too,” he said pointing at the yellow and white mess that covered the floor. Just then, an employee came by to see what had happened.

 

“What happened here, ma’am and sir?” the employee asked.

 

“Well you see, Mr. Headphones over here, wasn’t watching where he was going and bumped into me, causing me to drop the eggs,” I said, crossing my arms.

 

“Uh. No. No. No, sir. You see, she’s just a klutz. I was just standing here minding my own business when all of a sudden, I heard cracking and splattering. I turned to look and bam! 12 perfectly good eggs all over the floor,” he said. Such a liar.

 

That is not how it happened, sir. Don’t believe him.” I scowled.

 

“Aish. Whatever happened, just someone pay for it,” the man said, scratching his head.

 

“Well, I’m not gonna pay for it. Hmph!” I said, stomping my foot.

 

“Pft, just pay the man. You broke them anyways. Here, I’ll help you, just in case you need it.” He winked at me, putting a penny in my hand, chuckling to himself. This guy really is such a jerk. I thought to myself.

 

“I don’t need your help! I can pay for it myself!” I screamed at him, throwing the penny at him.

 

“Oh? So you will pay for it! You hear that sir? She said she’ll pay for it!” I opened my mouth in shock. This pabo tricked me.

 

“What? No, no, sir, I-”

 

“Good enough for me,” he said, cutting me off. “I’ll get someone to clean this up and you,” he pointed at me, “meet me at the counter later. And don’t you even dare try to leave.” The man walked away leaving the boy and I alone.

 

“I can’t believe you tricked me, you !” I shouted at him, smacking him in the arm.

 

“Ow! Keep it PG!” he said, rubbing his arm. I pouted my lips in frustration.

 

“Awh, don’t be upset, honey. Just pay the man and everything will be okay.” He patted my cheek, giving me a cheeky smile. I grabbed his wrist.

 

“Do not call me ‘honey’! And do not touch my face with your filthy hand.” I shoved his arm back at him. “You know, your the one at fault here, idiot!” He rolled his eyes at me.

 

“Whatever floats your boat, babe.” He patted me on the head, snickering to himself. He turned and walked away, kicking the empty carton on the floor. Aish! I pity the woman that fell in love with that pabo.

 

An employee came to clean up the mess, and I apologized to him for the commotion. I walked over to the counter to pay for the broken eggs. Once I gave the man my money, I went back to grocery shopping, grabbing all the ingredients to make the omelet. Once I was done, I grabbed my bags and headed home. 

 

Back at home, Hana had just awoken. She walked into the living the same time I arrived, stretching her arms and yawning.

 

“Good morning,” she sleepily said. “Where have you been?” 

 

I ignored her,  walking to the kitchen. I took out all of the things I bought at the grocery store and putting them in their right compartments.

 

“Uh, hello?” She waved her hands in front of my face. “Yerin-ah.” She poked me in the arm.

 

“What?!” I snapped at her. She stepped back, terrified.

 

“Well, someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed,” she said, taking a seat at the dining table.

 

“Aish, sorry, Hana. I just had a little argument with a customer at the grocery store today, and I’m not exactly in a good mood,” I explained, taking a seat across from her.

 

“Really? What happened?” she asked.

 

“This jerk bumped into me while I was looking at a carton of eggs, causing me to drop them. And then he said it was my fault  and made me pay for it.”

 

“Ugh! That jerk! Who is he? Imma beat him up!” she said.

 

“It’s the same guy that caused me to drop the boxes the other day. And he said that was my fault too! Ugh he’s really just ughhhh,” I slammed my head down on the table. 

 

“There, there. Just forget about it. It’s not like you’ll see that jerk’s face anymore.” she said, patting my arm.

 

“You’re right,” I sighed. “Whelp, time to get those omelets cooking.”

 

“No way, you’re making the world famous Yerin omelet?!” she squealed.

 

“Yup! Just for my best friend!” I responded.
 

“Yes! I’ll help you!”