Old Friends

Unbreakable || Jeon Jungkook

- Yerin’s POV -

 

“Hana, hurry up! We’re gonna miss the bus,” I whined standing by the door. I adjusted my black cap on my head.

 

“Hold on! I’m not done, yet. Let me just finish putting on my makeup,” she replied. She eventually came out 5 minutes later, her face filled with makeup.

 

“I don’t see why you have to put on makeup. I mean, it’s just Taehyung-oppa, not a KPOP star,” I told her.

 

“Well, I’ve gotta look nice, ya know. It’s been a while and we’ve matured quite a lot. What if he thinks I’m ugly now?!” she gasped, her eyes widening.

 

“Calm yourself, you’re gorgeous,” I assured her. “Now let’s get on that bus.”

 

________

 

The bus ride to the ramen place took about 15 minutes. We got off the bus and walked in. The place was fairly large, and there were a lot of customers.

 

“Is he here yet?” I looked around.

 

“No, I don’t think so. I don’t see him. He sent you his phone number, right? Give him a call,” Hana suggested. We walked out to the front of the restaurant so I could hear clearly. I got out my phone and dialed his phone number.

 

“Hello?”  Wow, his voice was still as deep as it was when we were in high school.

 

“Taehyung-oppa! It’s Yerin!”

 

“Oh! Yerin-ah! I’m running a little late. I’m a bit caught up in traffic, but I’ll be there in about ten.”

 

“No problem! Hana and I will just wait outside.” I hung up.

 

“So, what’d he say?” Hana asked, folding the sleeves of her denim jacket.

 

“He’s a bit caught in traffic, but he’ll be here soon.” I replied. After about exactly 10 minutes, Taehyung called back.

 

“Oppa?”

 

“I’m here.” 

 

“Really? Where?!” Hana and I looked around, spinning in circles. 

 

Suddenly, I felt a light tap on my shoulder. I spun around to see a tall, lean boy with dark brown hair with green tips that almost covered his eyes standing in front of me. He wore a white sweatshirt with words on it that outlined his upper body perfectly and black skinny jeans. He held a phone to his ear. 

 

I felt my jaw drop and I can tell Hana was feeling the same way. No way is this the Taehyung that we knew back in America. The Taehyung we knew was quite dorky and even dressed dorky himself. He used to have big glasses, and he used to be really thin.

 

“I told you he had potential,” Hana whispered in my ear. I lightly shoved her with my shoulder.

 

“O-oppa?” I managed to get out. I was still in a state of shock.

 

“Yerin! Hana!” He ended the call, putting his phone in pocket. He stepped closer to Hana and I and gave us both a big hug. We hugged him back, glancing over at each other.

 

“I’m so sorry I'm late. There was a car accident on the road and caused a traffic jam. Shall we eat?” We both nodded. He held the door open and we walked in and took a seat. The waitress took our order and brought us water. We were all silent.

 

“So, how have you guys been? It’s been so long!” he said, finally breaking the silence.

 

“We’re great!” I replied. “Right Hana?” I lightly slapped her on the thigh with the back of my hand.”

 

“MHM,” she said, sipping her water very quickly. 

 

“How about you? How’s it been here in Korea?” I asked.

 

“It’s been going great. I got a job working for a magazine company,” he replied.

 

“Wow, really?!” He nodded and smiled. He still had that same, unique smile as before.

 

“So, what brings you guys to Korea? he asked, taking a sip of water.

 

“Well, Hana and I were planning to find jobs here, but if it doesn’t work out, we’ll have to move somewhere else.” I replied.

“Ahhh, okay…” Our food finally arrived.

 

“Oppa, can we ask you something?” Hana finally said.

 

“Hm?”

 

“Why haven’t you kept in touch all these years? Where have you been? We’ve tried messaging you, emailing, sending letters. Why haven’t you answered back?” she asked. He frowned.

 

“Well, I’ve always been meaning to call or at least send a message, but I’ve been really busy with finding a job here and finally reuniting with my family after being in America with my aunt and uncle for so long.” He paused for a second. “But lets stop talking about that and eat, shall we?” 

 

We ate and talked for about an hour. When the bill came, he offered to pay. We refused to let him, but he insisted. Once we had finished, we walked out of the restaurant and into the parking lot.

 

“Do you guys have a ride home? I can take you,” he said.

 

“No, no. It’s fine. We’ll just wait for the bus here.” I replied.

 

“No, I insist. I don’t have anything to do, anyways. Come on.” He gestured us to follow him. Hana and I looked at each other but followed along anyways. He led us to his car, which was a grey BMW sports car. We got in, Hana in the back seat and I in the passenger seat. He the engine and started driving.

 

He drove fairly quickly. He pulled up to the front of our apartment building. We were about the get out of the car until he said something.

 

“OH! I almost forgot! My friends and I usually have a movie night at my place every first Friday of the month and that’s this next Friday. I’d love it if you guys would come! It’ll be fun, I promise,” He said.

 

“Okay! We’ll come!” Hana said, smiling.

 

“Great!” He smiled. “I’ll you guys the details when I get come. Bye and take care!” 

 

“Bye! Drive safely!” We waved at him as he drove away. Hana and I walked up to our apartment. Once we got in, we plopped onto the couch like two potatoes.

 

“Yerin-ah?” Hana said.

 

“Mhm?” 

 

“That can’t be the Taehyung we knew. It must have been an impostor,” she said.

 

“Nope, that’s definitely him. Still the same voice, smile, and personality.” I replied.

 

“But how is he so… hot?” she said. She buried her face into her hands. “Aish!”

 

“Puberty, I guess. Have you fallen in love all over again?” I asked, raising my eyebrow.

 

“Oh, yeah. I’ve fallen. And I’ve fallen, hard.”