Chapter 9

Is this fate?

Her colleagues won't stop bothering her. They keep asking about Yongguk. She didn't know what to say to them. A friend? No, aside from his name she knows nothing about him. Boyfriend? Definitely not. So, she keeps shut ignoring them. Eventually they'll stop, she thought.

She finished her work and ready to get home. She saw Yongguk, leaning on the wall waiting for her. She sighed. That man never listens to her. Didn't he get the hint of her rejecting him? He runs toward her when he saw her. “Come, I’ll walk you home.” He smiled brightly.

He always told her how his day went without her asking. He told her about his next-door neighbor who keeps bothering him. Always mooching on his food and when he drunks, he'll piss on Yongguk's door. He's once slipped on and fell down on his neighbor's puddle of piss. He wanted to beat the crap out him but that man is always apologizing to him. Yoojin couldn't help but to laugh.

"So, are you free this weekend?" Yongguk carefully asked. "I heard they were opening a new restaurant in town. Would you like to go there with me?" He smiled. "It will be fun."

"No." She replied shooking her head.

"Come on. Just another one date. What harm could it done?" He tried to reason.

"Oh no no! The last time I've accepted a date, it brings me down to this deep hell. I'm not going to bury myself deeper." She could see the disappointment in his eyes.

They walked side by side. None of them were speaking. It was a dreadful silence. When they arrived at her apartment, he stares at her. "Stop pushing me away, Yoojin. I won't go." She lowered her head. "Because you're where I want to be with." He flashed a weak smile. Then, he said goodbye and walked away. She watched him until he's out of her sight.

When she gets to her apartment, she lay down on her bed. Yongguk’s words keep on playing on her head. She wants to find the sincerity in his words. Yongguk is a nice guy. She just thinks that she is not good enough for him. Beep. Her phone chimed. It's a message from Yongguk.

I'm sorry. Just forget about that date. Rest well. I'll see you tomorrow.

The next day, he's there waiting for her again and he acted like nothing happened yesterday. He smiled showing his gum. They walk together. Yongguk would occasionally crack up any jokes to lighten up the tense between them. He would always find interesting thing to share with her. 

Yoojin just nodded whenever Yongguk ask her something. Her mind is not really there with her. He's the one who is messing up her thought. She’s not sure what her feeling for Yongguk is. She just doesn’t want to hurt him. But Yongguk is always there chasing after her relentlessly. And, whenever she saw him, her heart would flutter betraying her.

“You’re okay?” She nodded. She didn’t even realize that she have arrived at her apartment. He knows she wasn’t really listening to him. Hell, when he asks her out of joke if she’s into heavy metal she just nodded without looking at him. He knows it is because of him asking her for a date which would scare her. “I’ll see you tomorrow.”

It has been almost two weeks since Yongguk would walks her home until it has become their routine now. Yongguk will always there waiting for her right in front of her office. He will lean on the wall humming something making random melodies. When he sees her, he will never forget to flash his smile. She didn't know when but she always notices every simple thing about him. She didn’t know why he never asks her out on a date again.

She keeps glancing at the clock hanging on the wall. She has important thing to say to him today. Sharp at 5 pm, she packed her thing and ready to go back without saying goodbye to her deskmate, Hana. When she's out of the building, she couldn't find Yongguk at his usual spot. She glanced at her watch.  He's late today. She decides to wait for him for a while. Her eyes keep wandering looking for his shadow.

Her face lit when she saw Yongguk running towards her. She smiled. Yongguk pants when he arrived. He takes a deep breath and smiles at her. "I thought you left already. I'm sorry for being late."

"Oh no, it's okay. I just got out from the building. My works is piling on me." She said while smiling back at him. They start walking.

He's surprised when Yoojin talks a lot today. Usually, it was him who keeps the conversation going. She told him about how her day went. She also vents her frustration at him about Mina, the new intern at her office. Mina would always bring trouble to the office and she's always the one who has to clean up her mess.

"Apparently, I'm free this Saturday. So, is your offer for that date still available?" She looked at him nervously. He shocked in disbelief. She’s already made up her mind to give him a chance. It’s not fair for him. For her.

"You, you want to go on a date with me?" His eyes lit so bright. He couldn't believe what he's hearing. She nodded her head. His heart beats fast and he could hear it. "Sure. It's a date then."