Ch. 4: Royals & Thieves

The Story of Hwayang and Yeonhwa
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 4: Royals & Thieves

There were no farmworks needed today, so Hwayang stayed with his mother and helped her at her small embroidery booth in the village. Jooyang and his father went to see their grandmother because they heard that she wasn’t feeling well. While two stayed behind to continue working, the other two went to see a relative.

“Hwayang,” his mother came to his side and handed him a couple of coins. “You’ve been helping me work all day. Why don’t you go buy yourself something useful?”

He looked at her, then at the coins that were slipped into his hand.

“Mom, are you sure?” he asked, feeling unsure. “Don’t we need this money?”

She smiled warmly at him. “Can’t a mother give her son some money to spend on himself?”

Hwayang lightly chuckled. “Sorry.”

She sighed. “My son is always working and never taking any time off. I just want him to have some personal time for himself.”

Hwayang smiled, hearing his mother’s loyal thoughts.

“Thanks, Mom,” he said, accepting the money. He hugged her, then slipped out of the booth and into the pathway of the village.

“Come back soon, alright?” his mother exclaimed. “Don’t spend all day!”

Hwayang turned back and smiled at her.

“Don’t worry, Mom!” he shouted back. “I won’t be long!”

He waved at her as he carefully walked back. Then, he turned around and continued walking through the crowds of people. And as he went on wandering for his own personal time, little did he know, his fate was about to meet him.

 

Yeonhwa’s eyes lit up as she held onto her coat around her. She smiled widely. Here she was walking down the empty aisle of the village with Jungseol and Dongil behind her.

She was greatly amazed at the various different kinds of booths. There were some for clothes and shoes, jewelries and accessories, food, and plenty more. All of them caught her eyes.

Some little kids were also chasing each other and playing around happily, making Yeonhwa chuckle at them. While she was looking at all the new things around, others were also staring at her.

The dress of her beautiful hanbok drew others’ attention. Although they couldn’t get a full glimpse of her face, they didn’t second guess that she must had come from a wealthy family. But what they didn’t know was that she was the Crown Princess of Joseon.

Dongil was very cautious of those around Yeonhwa and Jungseol. He was summoned last night by the King and ordered to keep the Princess safe at all cause. And he was going to perform his duty rightfully as a guard.

“Wow,” Yeonhwa slurred cheerfully. “So this is what the outside world looks like.”

Dongil lightly smiled at her. Her eyes were filled with so much excitement, and her smile was painted with nothing but happiness. He felt at ease, seeing that she was enjoying herself.

“Princess,” Jungseol got her attention.

Yeonhwa turned around and blinked softly at her maiden.

“Yes,” she said.

“You look really happy today.”

Yeonhwa tried to suppress her smile, but she couldn’t do so.

“Do I?” she asked. “Is it that noticeable?”

“Yes, Your Highness.”

Yeonhwa couldn’t help but to smile even more widely.

‘You look very beautiful, too,’ Dongil thought as he gazed at her.

“Princess, would you like to buy anything?” Jungseol asked her.

Yeonhwa looked at her maiden, then at Dongil.

“First, don’t address me as ‘Princess’,” she nicely ordered.

“But-”

“It’s just for today. Besides, you wouldn’t want others to know who I really am, right? They can take advantage of me if they find out.”

Dongil’s face paled just thinking of the thought.

“Yes, My Lady,” Jungseol addressed her differently.

Yeonhwa smiled again. “That’s better,” she said before turning back to the crowd. “I don’t know if I want to buy anything yet. Let’s just keep looking around.”

She happily resumed walking down the aisle again as Jungseol and Dongil followed along.

 

Hwayang handed the clerk a few coins as he received the piece of jewelry. He was strolling around the village when he noticed something that remind him

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter