Ball is life

Passing Grade

When Nayeon steps outside to the field, the wind blows through her ponytail. P.E is anything but bad when it takes place outside, really, when the sun is hidden behind white fluffy clouds so that she doesn't have to squint.

 

Except that today, it wasn't the case.

 

“You better get contacts,” Jihyo speaks as if she could read Nayeon’s mind, which wouldn’t surprise the older girl if it was true.

 

“Students!” The noisy P.E teacher starts screaming his lungs out, something that Nayeon will never understand. Jackson flinches at her side, and she bursts out laughing.

 

“As if you didn’t flinch yourself.” The young man grunts and goes to he walk ahead of her. Nayeon will neither understand why boys are so sensitive in their teenage years.

She watches as the latest students jog to join the group. She doesn’t give it much thought when the teacher annoyingly snaps his fingers at their face to get their attention.

 

“What the heck is his problem,” Jihyo whispers in her ear and Nayeon chuckles at the words.

 

“Today we’re doing basketball.” He declares in a booming voice, rivalling to Jihyo’s.

 

There are mixed cheers and groans from the student body. Personally, Nayeon couldn’t care less.

 

She shifts her weight to her other foot when Jihyo lazily rests an arm on her shoulder. ‘Same,’ she wants to say. The weather is too warm this afternoon to push her and Jihyo to make any form of effort aside from the action of sitting and standing up.

 

Right. She’ll probably get her wooped by the teacher if she doesn’t move it to begin with, who is she kidding. But being the top student that she is, she can still laze around in P.E because when did anyone that had decent grades do well in sports? Never, and Nayeon doesn’t aim at breaking that rule.

 

“The class will be divided in two groups of teams. The second group will have to wait until the first one finishes their warm-up. Whoever wants to wait, go sit to this side.” The teacher finishes and Jihyo turns to her, grabbing her hand in hers. All the students start to move around.

 

“There’s no way we’re getting in the first group.”

 

“Agreed.”

 

When Jihyo settles beside her, Nayeon catches her eyes go wide for a millisecond before the younger girl turns to her. Her small, immaculate teeth show out to the world in a sly grin.

 

“What?” Nayeon asks her, completely clueless as to what it might be this time. Usually she’s able to understand Jihyo in a look, but right now her bestfriend is being cryptic. And she’s too tired to go through yet another round of Jihyo-deciphering right now.

 

“You’ll see by yourself.” The younger girl snorts out.

 

“What do yo--”

 

“Wassup!”

 

Jackson and Yugyeom interrupt their exchange as they both noisily plop down beside them. (It’s just Jackson being loud and Yugyeom politelysmiling on the side as usual) and Nayeon throws one last look at Jihyo. Her bestfriend seems to have dropped the matter.

 

“You’re not gonna play?” Nayeon quirks up their way and Jihyo shifts to face them. It kind of surprises her, really, usually the two of them are the first to tackle the field.

 

Jackson pulls his cap up and runs a hand through his newly dyed blonde hair, before pushing the cap back down. He’s probably feeling ashamed of it, Nayeon remembers him saying that it was because of a lost bet.

 

It looks nice though. The color makes his face softer.

 

“Nah we’re waiting to play with you.”

 

“Such gentlemen.” Jihyo speaks, eyeing the two boys that both smile at the given attention.

 

Nayeon tilts her head so that the sun stops burning the crown of her head, thinking how she would kill to be elsewhere than in school right now. Hell, she would skip, if she didn’t have a reputation to keep up.

 

The teacher blows his whistle and the first group starts running around the court, balls hitting the ground and jumping back in their hands. Some girls and boys loose their balls and the teacher begins to scream his lungs out again, as if his students were training for the next Olympic Games.

 

Jackson nudges her on the shoulder and she turns to him with a scowl. He’s looking at her wish devilish eyes, similar to a playful puppy’s. Nayeon thinks, he probably doesn’t know that he looks cute instead of cool.

 

“Excited to see my inner Michael Jordan?”

 

This isn’t the first time that Jackson brags -- he brags all the time -- but Nayeon eventually learned to deal with it after two years of befriending the guy. She’d take his bragging over the spiteful gossipers anytime.

 

“I can’t wait.” Her voice carries out in a monotone tempo while Jihyo calls out for Mina to come and sit beside her, chatting her up as Yugyeom joins their conversation.

 

‘She abandonned me.’ Nayeon thinks grimly.

 

“You might want to take a few videos to put them on Snapchat. Quote; “Basketball MVP, Wang Jackson.” Got it?” He explains as his hands move to highlight his speech, the gentle breeze of early summer making it all a little bearable.

 

“Are you kidding me?” She laughs at the boy and slaps his shoulder in her giggle frenzy. Jackson keeps a serious expression, his forte when he tries to make the situation even funnier. Too bad Jooheon, his go-to gagman, is over there running and not here to cheer him up for another round of dumb jokes.

 

The whistle blows again as Nayeon starts talking about random gossips with Jackson (who surprisingly keeps up in date with everything going on around the school) and she laughs at the stories he tails her about the reason behind Jaebum’s “rat” haircut (his words, not Nayeon’s) But as soon as the basketball game starts, the guy discards whatever she was saying to focus on the field.

 

“COME ON GUYS, BURN THE FIELD DOWN!” He screams in between cupped hands around his mouth, Jooheon sends him a thumbs up, and Nayeon is the one to flinch this time. Ah, boys. She’ll never understand because well, she lacks the… baton down there.

 

“Will you stop acting like a monkey already.” Jihyo frowns his way, which efficiently shuts him up. Nayeon highfives her.

 

After a while of Jackson sulking and Nayeon having nothing other to do that watch the match, she sees Yugyeom cran his neck to whisper into Jihyo's ear, and Mina frown.

 

“Ew.” Nayeon comments, teenage flirting really isn’t something to make an ode out of. "Love triangle out there,"

 

“Right,” Jackson whispers. “He doesn't even--” He gets interrupted in a violet wack, his head jerking forward.

 

Nayeon jumps in her seat with a yelp, eyes going wide at the sight of a pained looking Jackson. A basket ball rolls up to her feet, and now she gets a picture of what happened.

 

“WHO THE HELL THREW THE BALL!” He screams in a deep voice and Nayeon looks up to see the culprit because, the ball nearly hit her pretty face.

 

Her eyes fall on the commotion on the other side of the field and Jackson stands up, motionning for the culprit to turn up to him but, Jihyo pinches her arm out of nowhere.

 

“Ow! What the hell Jihyo!” She exclaims when she meets Jihyo’s eyes, clutching her arm. The stinging fades when she sees that, here it is again, the sly smile from earlier.

 

“Look.”

 

Nayeon turns to the spot Jihyo points at and-- her heart jumps up to .

 

She watches as Jungyeon jogs to her spot, remembering how the basket ball pooled to her feet after hitting Jackson at the back of the head.

Something constricts in her stomach when she sees how the sun hits Jungyeon’s brown locks and make it look chocolate-ish, features more defined than ever.

 

When she approaches them with a smile, Nayeon notices the hair that stick on her forehead and-- God, she's wearing their P.E uniform and the shorts look really good on her... legs.

 

“Sorry bud,” Jungyeon walks up to Jackson, an apologetic look on her face. “You know how Sana can’t deal with throwing the ball and managing her Golliat strength at the same time.”

 

Yugyeom claps his hands in a loud laugh along with Mina and Nayeon feels Jihyo stare at her face with the same sly smile she had on earlier.

 

Everything inside her catches fire when Jungyeon locks eyes with her, sending her a half smile in between Jackson’s barns of complaints.

Nayeon blinks, eyes unconsciously trailing over the taller girl and sliding back up in a look over.

 

“Enjoying the view?” Jihyo cackles in her ear and Nayeon pushes her hard enough for her to topple over.

 

"Stop watching me!" She hisses before Jungyeon walks over and bends down right in front of her to grab the ball sitting beside her thigh.

She can’t really do anything beside panick at the warmth surrounding her neck up to her ears.

Nayeon is embarassed, to say the least. Jihyo is still laughing and Jungyeon is standing right in front of her, ball in hand and an eyebrow raised at her.

 

“Earth to Nayeon?”

 

“Uh?”

 

“Bunny can’t handle the sun?” Jungyeon asks while she throws the ball away to the team, watching it bounce back to the court instead of just bringing back there.

 

“N- Not really.” Nayeon lies while Jihyo chortles at the weakness of her voice. Hopefully, the short haired girl buys it, to save her from second hand embarassment. Jihyo sits up after what she deemed enough mockery and proceeds to smirk at Jungyeon.

 

“Aren’t you going back to play?” The youngest asks her and Jungyeon surprisingly sits in front of the two of them.

 

“Nah, they’re making the others play.”

 

Great, when Nayeon thought she might be able to stop the heat in her body to move down south, in dangerously intimate zones. Hey, she’s a teenager. And teenage years mean getting troubled at the simplest attractive sight.

 

Eyes focusing on Jungyeon, Nayeon blinks at the scene in front of her. The latter is looking at Jihyo (who’s rambling on and on as usual-- and never to say useless things, surprisingly), tilting her head toward the girl in a small smile.

Now, that wouldn’t be a problem if Nayeon wasn’t sitting to witness the more glorious angle of Jungyeon, ever.

 

Only then does Nayeon notice how Jungyeon’s short hair look extremely good on her small face, highlighting the sharpness of her eyes and-- damn, that jawline looks sharper than Yugyeom’s and Jackson’s mashed together. Sharp, yet delicate. She wonders how it would feel under the tip of her finger. Something clogs up at her view - she’d rather not be sitting here right now. Jungyeon is nearing her beauty standard she looks for whenever she finds someone attractive and… and right now she isn’t just attracted to her. She’s… Nayeon is…

 

“Right, Nayeon? Don’t you think she plays well?” Jihyo’s voice wakes her up from her trance, saving her from the mental breakdown she nearly infliged herself.

 

She catches the way her bestfriend’s eyes shift from her own to Jungyeon, and Nayeon catches up on the conversation.

 

“I- Yeah, I watched you play and-” Her breath hitches when Jungyeon turns to look at her, head still tilted to the left. Damn, what is the girl doing to her?

 

“You play well.” She nurses a smile when she finishes her sentence, unable to stop her eyes from going to the girl’s lips. Really, all she wants to do is run away and hide in her locker back in the locker room and maybe never come out of it. It'd be easier that way.

 

Jungyeon’s eyes twinkle under the sun, carrying a new shade of warmth. “Thanks.” She whispers, pushing Nayeon back in the parallel world of lovestruck people. She doubts that the short haired girl is doing it on purpose.

 

Nayeon contents herself with a smile, teeth coming out to meet Jungyeon’s eyes.

 

The whistle blows, the teacher screams and tears everyone away from their occupations. Nayeon shifts her eyes to the man in charge of her P.E period

 

Jihyo pushes her shoulder with her own when Jungyeon turns around and can’t see them, and Nayeon has known the younger girl long enough to understand that even Jihyo noticed how Jungyeon’s gaze lingered on her face for more that a second after everyone gathered back to them.

 

“Group number 2, move your arses!”

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Nayeon doesn’t really remember how it all came down to this: she is currently hiding behind a massive column of books, fingers clutching the few paperballs she has left for ammunition. She will have to pull a last move soon, seeing how the other girl will have the upper hand. Nayeon will have to unleash her full force if she wants to take down Jungyeon.

 

Really, it’s all because of Jungyeon, who, earlier lazily threw her a paperball hitting square on the forehead, right above her glasses. Imagine the laughing fit that she had to stiffle when the librarian threw them a nasty glare.

Nayeon doesn’t like getting humiliated like this, so she grabbed the nearest good-for-the-bin paper, crushing it between her hands and throwing it on the crown of Jungyeon’s lowered head.

 

Let’s just say that, from the moment they locked eyes, their peaceful world of studying crumbled to nothing but a battlefield.

 

Jungyeon was smart enough to reach out for her useless copybook before carelessly walking to the safety of the shelves (they aren’t stupid enough to start battling out in the middle of the library) and now she has endless ammo to try taking Nayeon over.

 

And that is how it lead Nayeon to where she is now.

 

The jet black haired girl stands back up and turns around to feign looking for books when the librarian walks past her, hiding her paper-filled hand in her uniform jacket. From the corner of her eyes, she sees a crouched figure slide behind the books and Nayeon energically starts to walk further away, rushing past the librarian while holding her breath.

 

She’s amazed at Jungyeon’s stealth abilities, wondering how many times did the girl ever have to be so careful as not to get caught moving around to develop such a capacity.

 

Nayeon ducks under a smaller shelf hidden at the far back of the library (she’s lucky enough that her school has money to build a large one) and a student sitting not so far gets startled at the sudden sight of her, third year top student, hiding behind the shelf. Nayeon doesn’t give it any thought when she perceives the top of a bobby brown haircut bouncing around.

 

“Take this,” She harshly whispers as she throws a pretty badly aimed paper ball. Ducking back down with her back hitting the books, she thinks that, she will have to aim better considering the low load of ammo she has.

 

She distinctively hears Jungyeon’s snicker and it sounds oddly close, as if the girl--

 

“Ah- Jungyeon!” Nayeon screams when a ball hits her right on the nose, embarassment crawling up her neck when it carelessly bounces down to her feet. Her eyes fall on the source of the flying object to see Jungyeon preparing yet another launch at her face.

 

“I told you, you’re on!” The latter whispers with a dumb smirk on her face and Nayeon feels a rush of adrenaline crashing in her body at the sight. She scampers to her feet and power walks to the right part of the bigger shelves with, herself, a smile on her face, followed by Jungyeon who walks on the opposite side of the books.

 

The old librarian is moving around, Nayeon infers from the heavy steps that start to come to a close. They have to end this fast.

 

She can see flashes of the girl in between books and her heart jumps faster and faster. They’re inevitably going to meet at the end of the corridor, leading to the main dispute. The main… how do their names mixed together sound like? NaJung? NaJung face off.

 

“You’re dead.” Nayeon talks to the opponent, meeting a confident scoff. She can hear Jungyeon’s amusement. It’s funny how Jungyeon always pushes her out of her comfort zone. Nayeon would have never thought that she’d pull a paper war in the highschool’s library, ever. But look at her now.

 

“You better put on a good show.” Jungyeon says right before they round the corner. Nayeon clutches her papers before the wall of knowledge that are the books comes to an end, leaving her and Jungyeon facing each other.

 

She freezes for a second when her eyes meet Jungyeon’s devilish smile. It’s surprisingly attractive, they way she’s looking at her. It takes Nayeon out of guard. Her opponent, however, wastes no time and jumps on her, eliciting a yelp from Nayeon. What happens next is a bit of a blur, but Nayeon knows that she looses her glasses as well as her paper ammunition, back flatening on the shelf behind her.

 

She lets out a pained breath, eyes coming to a close for a second. Really, did she have to push her so hard?

 

Jungyeon, when she opens her eyes, is standing right in front of her, close enough for her to see her clearly, and-- Nayeon tries to move but her wrists are… caught in something...Jungyeon’s hands? Wait. Jungyeon is pinning her against the shelf!

 

“It seems that I won,” The latter confidently whispers. Nayeon looks all around them, paper balls and a torn, pitiful looking copybook pooling around their feet in an evidence of the war that just reached its end.

 

Her heart beats too loud for her to think properly when she feels Jungyeon’s breath hit her lips, too busy falling in deep into the latter’s brown-ish orbs.

 

Only then she notices how Jungyeon’s face is so feminine, fine eyelashes blossoming out of her eyelids.

 

But, the sound of heavy footsteps is getting louder, nearer-- heck, they’re probably going to be found in this position before Nayeon can finish thinking about it but, she can feel Jungyeon’s fingers claw around her wrist like she was her prey (strangely, she doesn’t mind one bit) and her fingers graze the spine of the books right behind them. This seems to be the longest pause in Nayeon’s life.


She feels oh so , so vulnerable. But… Why does it make her feel… excited?

 

“Sweet Mary Jesus, what are you two doing!!” Comes a harsh whisper from her left, and she watches how Jungyeon turns her head to the source of the noise. Her jawline gets obnoxiously obvious and yet again, Nayeon doesn’t have the mental strength to peel her eyes away from the taller girl.

 

It’s all fuzzy in her stomach, heart, brain. Everywhere.

 

Her arms slowly fall down to her sides when the librarian comes to tear Jungyeon away from her body and she is left boiling up on her own.

 

“Out!” The librarian screeches with cheeks redder that Nayeon’s while she meets Jungyeon’s eyes. (she’s horribly confused, even when she is getting scolded, the girl still manages to make her smile.)

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Notes: AHHH THIS IS SO CRINGEY