Dodgeball (extra #1)

Passing Grade

Notes: Okay so this is a bit of something that I couldn't find a purpose to lmao
I guess I should just let you see it, right? (and brace through embarassment later)
So here you go, extra #1 I guess (it takes place around chapter 10 or something, at this point you might know better than me lmao)

I'd like it if you guys tell me whether I should make more extras like such. Thanks!

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

It’s P.E time again, and every girl is busy either loudly chatting, quietly gossiping, or just changing like a normal student should. In the midst of it all, Dahyun is animating the usual “locker room gig” (her words, not Nayeon’s) and some of the students are following her random, bizarre chants by knocking things on the lockers to create a rythm.

Sometimes, Nayeon questions the reason of the school for making this many classes share the field, at the same time, even if it’s huge. It always ends up being a huge mess.

“It’s too hot to run today,” Jihyo whines as she slips on her shorts. Nayeon couldn’t agree more. The sun is borderline scorching, and the heat unbearable. She knows Jihyo looses her energy when the sun starts beating on the crown of their heads, that’s why the girl is currently so calm. Usually she’d join the whole mess that the girls create out of nothing.

Flipping her bangs upward, she throws a glance at Jihyo and makes a face to show her agreement. Then, she sees Jihyo shift her gaze from her eyes to behind her shoulder, a sudden twitch of the mouth not going unnoticed from her.  

When they lock eyes again, Jihyo breaks into a full smirk. Nayeon has an idea of what Jihyo may have seen.

“Should I trust you and turn around?” Nayeon snarls, all too aware of what Jihyo is hinting at.

The brunette scoffs. “As if you don’t want to.”

“Ouch, touché.” She laughs and crans her head to the back of the locker. There stands Jungyeon, clad in short and bra, hair a mess as she tugs her shirt upwards to take it off. The short haired girl is animatedly chatting with an underclassman, Chaeyoung if Nayeon remembers well. But she doesn’t exactly stare for long, as a fire breaks in her stomach, neck, and cheeks (and even her ears) and she turns back to Jihyo.

“Your eyes are as big as mine!”

Jihyo bursts out laughing when Nayeon jumbles out curses out of her pursed lips as they both make their way outside.

“Why? Feeling odd somewhere down there?”

“Jihyo!” She slaps the younger girl.

Nayeon power walks outside to the field, leaving Jihyo and mingling within the crowd of her class. She bumps shoulders with Jackson, his blonde hair sticking out in the middle of black heads.

“Is princess Im grumpy today?” He jokes, biting back a laugh. Nayeon feels like she should ditch the whole school altogether.

“Hey Jackson, looks like we’ll dodgeball today.” Jooheon slings an arm around Jackson’s shoulder, but Nayeon feels her insides churn at the words.

“Dodgeball?” In a yelp, she stares at Jooheon, who just nods.

They step out to the field and she forgets about her anger at Jihyo as soon as her eyes flick to where they’ll have physical education. Nayeon breaks in cold sweat the moment her eyes fall onto the mess of piled up red, rubbery balls in the middle of the court.

“Oh no,” She whispers as Jihyo catches up with her, and the younger girl squints her eyes to see the disaster that Nayeon is talking about.

“I swear this teacher is out to kill us all.” Jihyo mutters under her breath while Nayeon claims a death grip on her forearm, channelling her inner despair.

“S’okay,” Jihyo tells her, as if she received bad vibes from her bestfriend. She probably did, her bloodstream is getting cut from Nayeon’s fingers. “Just tell the boys to keep away from you. I bet they won’t even think about hitting you.”

“Why?” Nayeon asks, completely clueless as to what her bestfriend is talking about. From the corner of her eyes, she sees how Jihyo’s gaze keeps shifting to one specific student.

“Jihyo?”

“Uh, they all like you.”

She scoffs. “Nonesense. Plus there’s Jackson, you know he lives to make my life hard,”

The teacher gathers them all to the middle of the field, right beside the dreaded red ammunition.

“Today, dodgeball.” The teacher yells, and Nayeon starts chanting prayers. It’s the only hope she has to reassure herself and maybe for the ground to swallow her whole.

‘God, I believe in you, time to show up… maybe? Please?’

Curse whoever invented this game, she’d rather run for an hour straight than receive a ing missile in her face.

“Alright! This half of the class will throw the balls first.” He vaguely motions to… the other side of the class. The one Nayeon isn’t with, and the one where Jihyo stands.

“Get moving!”

As soon as Nayeon realizes that the appointed half isn’t hers, she feels like crying. Jackson, who runs past her to get the rubbery balls, sends her a devilish smirk.

She tries to ignore the chills of horror running in her back. “Jihyo I don’t think this is-- Jihyo?”

Nayeon turns around, again, but Jihyo isn’t by her side. Her eyes fall on the brunette, who is suddenly too busy chatting up Sana and Mina to care about her crumbling self. The teacher blows his whistle and Nayeon shakily walks to the field. They’re all surrounding the court in a square, and she gulps, pushing her glasses up her nose.

“You should take them off,” A gentle voice, Jungyeon's, says in her ear beside her. They’re in the middle of the other half - the victim one that’s huddled together in the center of the field - and Nayeon suddenly reaches for the taller girl’s arm.

“Are you saying I’m gonna get hit?” Despair laces her words and she sees Jungyeon glance at her horrified face.

“You don’t like dodge ball?”

The crowd moves as balls start to whirl all around them. Nayeon feels herself panicking.

“Well I- Oh God, I just wanna live, I don’t think this sport is helping me live,”

Jungyeon grabs her by the shirt and yanks her against her. She yelps, feeling the wind blow behind her as a ball speeds past her.

“Holy !”

“Calm down,” Jungyeon moves her to a spot behind one huge guy classmate. He’s like, twice her size, it’s the perfect hideout.

“What’s the probability of getting hit in the face?”

Nayeon ducks behind the guy as Jungyeon runs away in a yelp when a ball rushes by. The strength is unbelievable, it had to be thrown by a quite a strong person - she glances, that was Sana! - and hits a poor girl in the face, full force.

Nayeon watches in horror as the victim lifelessly falls on the ground. The girl may be dead. Is she breathing? Oh God, this could have been her. Will she be alright? Is this going to happen to her? Million thoughts like such run in her head, all getting muffled by ‘I hate dodgeball’.

She locks eyes with Jungyeon, who’s apparently just as surprised as her. The... body (should she call it a corpse now?) is still lying there.

“I- I- I…” Nayeon stammers and Jungyeon trows a glare at Sana, who’s panicking at the possible murder she just comitted.

After the girl limps her way out of the court, the number of runners lessen and lessen the more Nayeon looks around. Jungyeon is having a firm grasp on wrist, in case a spiralling ball ever came to wander around her and, for a second, Nayeon forgets about the hell she’s currently living and realizes that her heart might be beating the fast tempo because of the knight improvisation Jungyeon is doing.  

Her gaze wanders around the holders of the red ball and she sees Jackson grasp one, locking eyes with her. Yet again, he sends her an evil smirk, readying his arm to aim at her. Dread filters in Nayeon’s body.

Oh my God. 

He throws it, and the ball nearly breaks through the air. Jackson was always known for having great strength. Hell, he may have beaten the sound wall with that one!

Nayeon freezes on spot. The whole class gasps, waiting for the collision.

That’s it, her face is gone for. Her glasses will break under the hit and it’ll break her nose. She’ll go to the hospital, they’ll tell her it’s unfixable. Then, she’ll have a crooked nose for the rest of her life, unless her parents let her get plastic surgery. What a shame, Nayeon really liked her own nose.

She closes her eyes, ready to face the trauma of her life, but after a second, and after another one, nothing comes. Cracking an eyelid open, she sees Jungyeon standing right in front of her, back facing the incoming ball, making a face from what Nayeon assumes to be the pain issueing from the hit. Jackson howls first, joined by the other guys of the class. (and Nayeon swears, she can hear Jihyo’s distinctive booming voice) Out of the corner of her eyes, she sees everyone gang up on the blonde to shame-hit him.

“Yoo Jungyeon out! Move your bum!” The teacher yells.

“Damn that hurt,” Jungyeon wonders out loud, and only then Nayeon realizes that, indeed, Jungyeon did take the hit for her.

“A- Are you okay?” Nayeon whispers as Jungyeon detaches herself from her, rubbing her back multiple times.

“Yeah, couldn’t let him get that pretty face.” And with that, Jungyeon cracks a smile. Nayeon watches, probably lovestruck, as Jungyeon curtains her lips back over her perfectly aligned teeth and walks (more like marches) to Jackson. The guy profusely breaks down in sweat when Jungyeon successfully punches him in the shoulder.

Nayeon gets so lightheaded by her own thoughts (Jungyeon is sending her quite a charming smile from the crowd of shooters) that she doesn’t even realize the game had started again, until a ball hits her thigh, gently this time. Turning around, she sees a pretty guilty looking Mina, and a cackling Jihyo right beside her. That fu--

“Im Nayeon, out!!”

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Notes: Have yall watched twice's latest v app? Listen, I've never replayed a minute this much in my entire life their hands were touching and I just couldn't get past that and-- 2YEON V APP IS2G