Youth

Passing Grade

Nayeon sits down on the four stairs leading to the library door. She lets her bag and her copybooks fall beside her, and Jungyeon goes to sit on her right.

 

“We got kicked out.” The short haired girl mutters and a smile sneaks on her face. Trust Jungyeon to find the funniest parts in everything. Yet, Nayeon surprisingly feels herself chuckle.

 

“You know,” She starts, grabbing her glasses from Jungyeon’s extended hand. Ah, thank God she remembered them for her.

 

“I never thought I would do something like… this,” She waves in the general direction of the library behind her. Jungyeon faces her with a smirk.

 

“Liked it?” She snickers to her, eyes locked and carrying another meaning to her sentence. Nayeon desperatly knows what the taller girl is referring to and… maybe it’s the heat that’s messing with her mind or, the adrenaline from getting kicked out that didn’t rush down yet or even Jungyeon herself-- she smiles, way wider than the girl in front of her.

Nayeon thinks that, it’s okay. She’s with Jungyeon, it’s nearing the end of their - now cancelled - study session time and she couldn’t be any happier that she’s out of this hell. So she nods, and the taller girl stands up.

 

"Come on,"

 

Summer has started and Nayeon takes off her uniform blazer before springing up to her feet, walking beside Jungyeon who’s slightly ahead of her.

 

Really, it was funny, the way the librarian screamed in horror at the sight of her and Jungyeon and... Of her and Jungyeon--

 

“Why is it suddenly hot?” She asks to no one in particular when heat submerges everything up her neck to flush her cheeks.

 

“Loosen your bow.” Jungyeon shurgs.

 

The truth is… Nayeon doesn’t want to go home just yet. Scratch that, she just wants to spend more time with Jungyeon, as dumb and fictionnal romance-ish as this sounds.

 

So she musters up the courage to catch up with Jungyeon, who’s just casually walking through the school’s back garden under the sun and the gentle breeze swirling through her white collar.

 

“Hey,” She starts, linking their arms. It wouldn’t be strange for her to ask this, would it? “Do you have anything to do today?”

 

Jungyeon doesn’t turn to look at her, nor does she answer just now. But Nayeon sees from the corner of her almond eyes that Jungyeon smiles. Of course, she feels even hotter than standing under the bright afternoon sun.

 

“Tots free. Why?”

 

“I- I was wondering if you… would want to stay together for a bit, I don’t wanna go home just yet.”

 

Second hand embarassment mixed with anticipation swirls in her stomach, something that Nayeon doesn’t exactly enjoy. But she's willing to wait.

 

“Sure. Where d’ya wanna go?”

 

Nayeon bares her front teeth in a smile. She wants to jump in joy, scream in delight, do something to release the bubble of happiness forming in her chest.

Instead, she giggles like a kid who just heard that they’d be going to Disney Land.

 

“Anywhere,” She answers, pursing her lips to prevent them from comitting the unforgivable and say something she shouldn't.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

“What do you mean we can’t get out yet?” Nayeon watches as Jungyeon marchands with the gatekeeper to get out of the school before the last bell rings, precisely at half past five p.m.

 

Right now, it’s around fourty minutes before that and truth to be told, Nayeon doesn’t want to waste her time in school when the weather is being this clement on them today.

 

She steps beside the taller girl, questioning eyes falling on the gatekeeper. "Are you sure you really can't?"

 

The man shrugs to the both of them, “I would let you out but, I just can’t risk getting caught and loosing my job.”

 

“It takes a ing millisecond but, sure.” Jungyeon throws a last dart at the man, who just frowns disapprovingly.

 

Nayeon slaps her shoulder, not liking the way she speaks to older people.

 

“Manners.” She instructs quietly and quickly bows at the gatekeeper with an apologic smile, while Jungyeon actively walks through the corridor.

 

Nayeon catches up, following the taller girl’s fast paced steps. She doesn’t even know where she is following her to.

 

“Where are we going exactly?”

 

“I have a way out.”

 

Nayeon squints her eyes, not because of the sun this time. “I don’t trust that judging from your tone -”

 

“Wanna hang out or no?” The short haired girl teasingly asks her and, it quite catches her off guard.

 

She pouts, “Depends on your ‘way out’.”

 

Jungyeon goes silent for a second. Surely, there’s something about that getaway path that might not please Nayeon. Jungyeon raises her hand and opens her palm as a way to introduce her words. Her face carries a perplex feel to it.

 

“We might have to give a leg up to each othe--”
 

“I’m just gonna wait for the bell.” Nayeon turns around but Jungyeon grabs her wrist.

 

“I’m not gonna climb the equivalent of the Great Chinese wall!” She pushes her body forward to espcape the grip that Jungyeon has on her wrist but, ah, yet another person who’s stronger than her.

 

“Oh come on! The wall isn’t even that high!” The taller girl surprisingly sulks, not far from cute actually. Nayeon turns to look at her and meets a 5 years old looking Jungyeon with her lower lip jutted out in an attempt of making pleading puppy eyes.

 

Nayeon scrunches up her nose. It’s cute to the point where she might as well give in to stop the weird sentiments spreading in her heart.

 

“Fine,” She groans and Jungyeon errupts in a grin that she’s sure to keep in mind, even when she closes her eyelids.

 

The taller girl tugs at her wrist. “Come on.”

 

They resume walking, stepping outside in the school’s backyard. When Nayeon looks down at her hand, she finds her fingers laced with Jungyeon’s.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

“Are you kidding me?!” Nayeon shrieks as soon as they reach the so called ‘way out’ Jungyeon told her about.

 

It’s the far back of the school behind the tall trees, near the field where their P.E sessions take place and where basically no one ever goes to.

 

Jungyeon wags her fingers on her lips multiple times. “Shh! Why are you always so loud!” She hisses and quietly looks around, hoping that no one heard the small commotion.

 

Nayeon blinks under the sunlight, thinking that it's the heat that makes Jungyeon trip out of her mind.

 

“You’re telling me we have to climb this wall,” She points to the thing, “In our skirts, under this scorching sun, with our heavy bags just to get out fourty minutes earlier out of school?”

 

Jungyeon shrugs. “My bag is light--”

“That’s not the point!”

 

Jungyeon doesn’t listen to her whining. She grabs Nayeon's bag in her hand, her own in the other, and turns around to walk toward the wall. Throwing the two bags over the obstacle, the short haired girl faces back to her. Nayeon is horrified.

 

“There’s no way back, I threw the bags.”

 

Then, she readies herself in a position that Nayeon infers to be how she’s going to give her a leg up (and... that looks extremely unstable).

Being the top student that she is, she most definitely doesn’t want to (and probably doesn’t have the strength to) climb this wall.

 

Scratch her bag, she doesn't want to do this. “Are you seriously asking me to climb up right now?”

 

“Listen,” Jungyeon looks right into her eyes in a sharp, serious look that sends Nayeon to nothing but a mess of jumbled emotions inside. She hates it. She hates how Jungyeon has this power over her, with just a simple look that sends her to wobbling knees.

 

“The faster we get this done the sooner we can freely roam around ‘til the moon peaks its nose.”

 

Nayeon notes the subltle finality in her words and somewhat, it makes her smile. The thought of Jungyeon willing to spend time with her really makes her happy.

 

She eventually steps to Jungyeon, palming the wall and looking at the shorter girl’s crouching figure beside her.

 

“Put your foot here.”

 

“Is it okay though? It’s my --”

 

“Will you ever shut up? God.” Jungyeon groans.

 

“Yah!” Nayeon laughs out loud, slapping the girl’s shoulder. “Meanie.” She mutters as she puts her foot in between Jungyeon’s cupped hands. Glancing upright, she realizes that the wall is pretty… high.

 

“How are you going to push me up there?” She asks and Jungyeon blinks, frustration oozing from her knitted brows.

 

“Just-" The girl sighs, "Trust me, okay? Climb.”

 

Biting her lips, Nayeon flattens her palms on the wall. She never lacked trust in Jungyeon ever since they became friends, no. She just doesn’t trust herself.

 

For a millisecond, she tries, and puts her whole weight on Jungyeon’s sole hands, who doesn’t fail her words and pushes her upright. She feels her weight getting lifted. See, the problem isn’t Jungyeon, it’s Nayeon.

 

The jet black haired girl tries to reach for the top of the wall but wobbles at the decisive moment, falling back down to the ground.

 

“Watch out!” She hears Jungyeon exclaim beside her and her hand comes to grip whatever is close. Very similarly to the first time Nayeon tripped in front of Jungyeon, the latter grabs her arm to prevent her from falling altogether.

 

She sees Jungyeon huff the strands of hair out of her sharp eyes, uncovering furrowed brows.

 

“How are you so clumsy!” Jungyeon screams in the sunbath as Nayeon stands back up. She knows she can be a handful sometimes, especially when these ‘sometimes’ require physical ability and balance.

 

“It’s my first time climbing a wall, unlike you!” She huffs angrily as she readies herself for a second try. Jungyeon looks furstrated but still lends her hands.

 

“This time hold the top.” She instructs and Nayeon repeats the exact same words in a dumb voice.

Jungyeon and her lock eyes, in a petty glaring contest. It lasts for a second, two, she counts, but can’t help breaking into a smile and Jungyeon follows her suit.

 

“I’m ready.” She says as she pushes as steadily as she can, reaching fast to the top when Jungyeon propels her higher. She immediatly bites her lips while she extands her right hand. Really, Jungyeon makes her do weird things. Here she is, on a Friday afternoon while her favorite drama aires (she still isn’t over that), escaping school in the worst way possible for her weak arms.

 

Grabbing the top, she puts her second foot on the wall and gets a handful of the top with her other hand; grunting in the process.

 

“That’s it!” Jungyeon cheers in her feminine voice. She sounds truly amazed. “Now throw your leg over!”

 

“My leg? But I’m wearing a skirt!” Nayeon panicks at the thought of flashing her underwear to the whole school and Jungyeon pushes her by the waist, holding her in place.

 

“There’s absolutely no one around--”

 

“Don’t look then!” Are the first words that roll off her tongue and she hears Jungyeon scoff.

 

“Are you taking me for a ?!” Jungyeon screams in between curt laughs and Nayeon groans as she lifts herself to the top of the wall. Throwing a leg over it, she sits properly, staring at Jungyeon who suddenly stands way lower than her.

 

“You just… you just made me climb a ing wall!” She screams the adrenaline out of her body, completely amazed at herself.

 

“Holy ,”

 

“Says the top student, cursing,” Jungyeon snickers and Nayeon wants to counter attack but she tries to catch her breath first.. “Now wait here, I'm gonna climb and help you down.”

 

“You better,” Nayeon stops moving altogether, too scared to fall down. She takes a second to look back at the school (she can see the underclassmen running through the field) but then she remembers one thing.

 

“How are you going to climb up?” She asks the younger girl when she sees her put a foot on a rock that sticks out, meeting her mischevious eyes with her worried ones.

 

“Aren’t you underestimatin' me? Told you I know a way out, which means I know how to actually climb it.”

 

“Show me, then.” She feels confident today, and Jungyeon smirks her way.

 

“Sure, bunny.”

 

Nayeon pushes her specs up with her fingers, not admitting to herself that she is actually quite excited to see Jungyeon climb it. She’s pretty sure that Jungyeon is way more athletic than her.

 

She watches how the short haired girl lifts herself up on the wall, quickly kicking her second foot on the rocks to grab the spot right beside Nayeon with her hand.

 

Next think she knows, Jungyeon sits in front of her, her knees touching Nayeon’s. She’s facing her with a proud smile and Nayeon feels the breeze blow through her dark locks, and sending Jungyeon’s short bobby hair in one hell of a dance.

 

She suddenly looks etheral in her eyes, rebellious in the best way she could ever be.

 

Three words swirl in Nayeon’s mind. Three words that are aching to come out and get this done with but she holds them in, as usual. Too many variables, too many things to take in consideration.

 

“Alright let’s get you down.” Jungyeon pats her thigh and throws her second leg over to jump off and perfectly land on the other side.

 

“You seriously just jumped that?” Nayeon suddenly screams in surprise, questionning her eyes more that Jungyeon herself. The fact that she’s borderline getting dizzy at the height doesn’t reassure her one bit.

 

“Come on, jump.” Jungyeon declares in a calm voice and extends her arms to her, obviously stiffling a laugh in between the bite she has on her lips.

 

Nayeon shakes her head and her specs slide on her nose. She grips the wall harder.

“There’s no way I’m jumping this!” She whines down to the girl and the latter laughs.

 

“Either you jump or we wait here for the whole weekend. It’s Friday remember? Maybe someone will fetch you on Monday.”

 

“…” Nayeon shakily exhales. She has only one option really, it’s just Jungyeon putting it nicely for her.

 

“Come on bunny, you already trusted me enough to climb, do the same and come here,” Jungyeon gestures for her to come close and Nayeon feels warm all over at the words as well as the open arms Jungyeon is showing her.

 

“Okay, you can do this Nayeon…” She cheers herself up, edging toward the end of the wall.

 

“I- I’m gonna jump, please catch me,” She stutters and meets Jungyeon’s eyes. Weirdly enough, the taller girl chuckles. There’s a glint in her eyes that shines bright under the early summer sun.

 

“The wall’s not even that high!”

 

Nayeon whines loudly, and Jungyeon scoffs, looking to the side.

 

“Fine. I’ll catch you, promise.”

 

The black haired girl bites her lips to stop herself from smiling and exhales deeply. Torn between feeling giddy and scared, she deeply exhales.

 

“Here goes nothing,”

 

‘Come on Nayeon, on the count of three. One, two…’

 

She jumps, and her heart leaps up to . Her eyelids shutter close, fast and hard.

 

Nayeon doesn’t have the time to realize she’s falling when she feels herself knocking onto something-- someone, Jungyeon, and her additional weight on the taller girl sends the both of them to the ground.

 

“Please tell me I didn’t die,” She whispers quietly, opening her eyes to Jungyeon under her, grinning like she just saw the only starfall that would happen in the century. The familiar school’s bell reaches her ears, and Jungyeon cracks her lips open to speak.

 

“See? Told you I’d catch you.”

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Nayeon silently walks beside Jungyeon in the park, the silence of the place soothing her running heart.

 

She watches the taller girl’s back as they stroll under the gentle rustling of the trees above them, finding it all too calm compared to the afternoon they just spent together.

 

She opens , thinking that she should fill the void of conversation. There’s a million things that she wants to say as the scenery slowly passes by under her moving legs, but somewhat the sight of Jungyeon looking back at her with a small smile shuts her up. It almost feels like a dream, one that she touches with the tip of her fingers before she’s forced to wake up, one that she relishes the feeling of for the whole day and doesn’t want to forget for her whole life. Somehow, it works just fine like this. She’s happy hearing Jungyeon’s steps on the grainy path.

 

“What time is it?” She asks her because she’s too lazy to reach for her handphone.

 

“Past eight.” Jungyeon’s voice carries out in the sun setting down under the tall buildings of Seoul and Nayeon rolls back her shoulder on which rests her bag.

 

She turns left and Nayeon follows her toward the mass of trees and bushes, the green grass crisping under her shoes. They walk for a little bit, without a sound safe from their steps and after they brush past a few bushes.

 

“You and your weird places I swear…” She whispers as Jungyeon pushes a long branch of tree out of her way, in a chuckle.

 

“We’re almost there.”

 

Nayeon audibly gasps in amazement at the scene uncovered, and Jungyeon continues to walk toward a discovered pond, the scenery of the sunset glistening on the water catching her breath away.

 

Jungyeon walks up to an empty bench right in front of the pond, sitting down without a care in the world.

 

She silently pats the spot beside her and Nayeon moves to sit right beside her. She’s amazed at the view, how the setting sun reflects on the water and gives it an orange shade.

 

“I didn’t even know there was a pond here,” She silently comments, shoulder brushing against Jungyeon’s.

The sun is quickly setting and Nayeon feels oddly at ease for someone who told her parents that she would be home way sooner than this.

 

It just surprises her, how Jungyeon is actually full of surprises underneat the label of “rogue student” that the whole school plagued on her back. It almost feels unfair because people are missing out of her and her 101 marvels.

 

But then again, Nayeon loves the exclusivity.

 

She crans her neck to watch how the remaining of the sun bathes Jungyeon in a specific shade of purple and blue, feeling her insides flip up and down, making her smile like when she was a kid.

 

Jungyeon blinks once, twice, before turning to her, eyes meeting in a curious look.

 

“Thanks for today,” She whispers and it makes Jungyeon turn back to the pond, hands gripping the edge of the bench a little tighter.

 

Nayeon faces back front again, eyes twinkling at the new, way darker shade that the water adopted. Everything is dark all around them now, and she can hear the faint sound of a song playing from afar that drowns in the running water. It’s calm, soothing, very fitting of the athmosphere.

For a second she doubts it’s even real considering how… perfect this is.

 

Jungyeon sniffs beside her and Nayeon blinks in surprise.

 

“Sorry, it’s a little cold.” The taller girl chuckles while staring at her, and Nayeon hears some underlying secret  in her voice. One that she will, possibly, drive herself crazy before going to sleep.

 

As if on cue, she shivers under the breeze running past the two of them, raising her shoulders and crossing her legs in unconscious research of body heat.

 

“Aren’t you tired?” Jungyeons asks after a while. “I mean, I did make you jump off a wall, flee from that shop owner, walk for a while…”

Nayeon watches as the taller girl counts on her fingers, knitting her brows in reflexion and it makes her laugh.

 

“A little, but it was fun.” Nayeon fondly answers when she remembers the sprint they had to make when Jungyeon not so subtlely stole two ice creams in a small shop.

She did give her a beating as soon as they got away, even while they were eating the frozen treat.

 

“Don’t steal anything again.” She warns with a raised finger after Jungyeon sends her a knowing smirk.

 

“It’s just a one time thing! Plus you really looked like you wanted them.”

 

“Hm.” Nayeon juds nods, too scared to say anything else while her heart beats like faster than a club song. Now that they’re finally sitting down, Nayeon does feel how tired she is.

It’s true that they had quite the agitated afternoon, (she’s hanging out with Jungyeon afterall) but it’s… refreshing, to go out of her usual, calm everyday life. It’s so refreshing that she would gladly do again.

 

After a while of inner fighting, she rests her head on Jungyeon’s shoulder. It’s nice just like that, she thinks. A random pause in her life yet again (and she had been getting any ever since Jungyeon came into her routine).
 

Nayeon feels her phone chirp up, the cloth on her skirt slightly lighting up above the light of her phone. She blatantly ignores it. It dies down a little and she smiles, but then it blows up again.

 

Jungyeon lets out a breathy laugh.

 

“You should take that.” Nayeon groans, (and she knows Jungyeon looks at her in a way to tell her that they’ll come back here anytime she wants) So the jet black haired girl turns her phone on to meet the screen displaying ‘6 missed calls’.

 

Nayeon glances up Jungyeon, who’s not even trying to hold back a mocking smile.


‘Where are you???’ A text message from her mother reads and, , her parents are so going to kill her.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Notes: I'd like to hear in the comments if the length is too long for a chapter or if it's okay! Hope it wasn't not boring lmao