The After Party (extra #final)

Passing Grade

When Nayeon is happy, she is visibly happy. When she is happy, she feels like she needs her surroundings to be happy. And that works for Jungyeon too.

So she’s been pretty hyper for the whole outing, dragging her girlfriend (ah, it’s making her giddy) here and there to her heart’s content.

 

“You’re tiring.” Jungyeon mutters when Nayeon starts to excitedly jump around, talking Jungyeon into buying her ice cream.

 

Nayeon stops in her tracks, abrupt. The sand underneath her shoes slightly making some noise. Her eyes find Jungyeon’s, who stopped walking after noticing that she wasn’t clinging on her arm like the past hours.

 

They engage in a glare battle.

 

“You really think I’m tiring?” She asks with all the seriousness she can muster. Jungyeon bites her lips to prevent herself from laughing. Some bypassers send them a weird look, wondering if they were really going to fight at the moment.

 

Nayeon stops her lips from twitching upwards when Jungyeon makes a face.

 

“Yoo Jungyeon, that was ugly.”

 

She wins the game by making Jungyeon chuckle. Nayeon skips back to the girl, looping her arm around her elbow. She doesn’t quite miss the weirded out looks that people send their way, so she slides her arm away from Jungyeon and tucks her hand in her jacket.

 

“You’re still buying me ice cream.”

 

“My parents own a bakery shop, technically it’s not buying.”

 

Nayeon smiles, happy that she finally caught on, and pats Jungyeon’s head.

 

“You’re so smart.”

 

Jungyeon audibly groans but doesn’t quite budge. Instead, she stumbles to lay onto Nayeon, wrapping her arms all around her.

 

Nayeon blushes, and looks around for a moment. “Get off of me!” She yelps, not quite shrugging Jungyeon away, ignoring how her ears feel suddenly very hot (and how there’s no one around them).

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Layers of orange and purple decorate the sky once the sun lowers past the horizon. Suddenly, tee shirts aren’t enough to protect from the chill in the subtle wind.

 

 

Nayeon follows Jungyeon as they both walk toward the pond, the one they went to when they hung out together for the first time and wow, time flies really fast.

 

“Remember when--”

 

“Yes.” Jungyeon cuts her and sends her an annoyed look. “Stop being cheesy.”

 

Nayeon gasps. “What? Should I remind you that you’re the one who brought me here?”

 

“Yes but-” Jungyeon turns around. “But… Agh, nevermind.” She resumes walking and Nayeon spies a hint of a blush on her face.

 

“Did you already like me back then?” She muses, deciding to tease Jungyeon.

 

“Says the girl who laid her head on my shoulder.”

 

Nayeon crinkles her nose. Damn Jungyeon and her comebacks.

 

“You know I--”

 

“-- Shh shh!” Jungyeon stops walking altogether and Nayeon raises her eyebrows in question.

 

“What’s wro--”

 

“Keep it down!” Her girlfriend hisses as she lowers down to a crouching position. Nayeon doesn’t understand but follows anyways, until Jungyeon slides an arm behind her back to push her forward.

 

“Look,” She says, finger pointing at the place they are supposed to go to. It’s occupied.

 

“What the hell…” She whispers the moment her eyes lay on the back of the head of a brunette. A familiar brunette, sitting with a familiar shoulder length haired girl.

 

“Jihyo?!” She yelps the moment she realizes who they are, but Jungyeon is fast to reflexively grab her shoulders, and make the both of them duck under the bush.

 

Nayeon can’t see, but she hears Jihyo turn around and say, “Did you hear that?” to which Mina responds with a quiet “No.”.

 

Jungyeon makes her face her. “Did you tell them about this spot?!”

 

“I didn’t!” Her reflex is to lie. Jungyeon raises both of her eyebrows. “Well, okay, I might have brought Jihyo there once.”

 

Jungyeon facepalms.

 

“Why are we hiding anyways? It’s not like we don’t like them.” Nayeon questions. “Or do you?”

 

“What?” Jungyeon whispers. “No, I like them. I just…” Her voice plummets to silence. Nayeon stares at her in confusion, at the way Jungyeon shifts her eyes between the bush and her face.

 

“I just want to be with you,” She ends up admitting. “Just you.”

 

Nayeon purses her lips when a spurt of heat makes her cheeks tingle. “What was that!”

 

“Okay, I’m definitely hearing something,” They hear Jihyo loudly say (loudly, as usual) and basically, they panic.

 

“She’s coming,” Jungyeon hisses as Nayeon perceives movement from the bench, Jihyo standing up she supposes.

 

“Babe, where are you going?” Mina’s voice quietly chirps at the back and Nayeon’s jaw goes slack at the words. She turns to Jungyeon the same time Jungyeon turns to her, same expression on her face, probably even more surprised than her.

It feels like a game of Simon says where the goal is not to move, at all stakes.

 

Eventually, Jihyo goes back to Mina in between their struggles of not breathing, not to be heard.

 

Nayeon peeks in between the leafs composing the bush, catching the sight of Mina pecking Jihyo’s cheek and the latter giggling like a kid who just received the best Christmas gift of their short life.

 

“You’re the cutest,”

 

“Ey, you are!”

 

Nayeon holds in a scowl. “Ew!”

 

“Ew.”
 

Nayeon turns to Jungyeon. “Ew.” They say in unison.

 

“Let’s get out of here,” The taller girl says, quietly moving around to face the other way, the way where there isn’t the cringiest couple of all times. Nayeon will have to fight Jihyo for that.

 

“They’re gross.”

 

Jungyeon throws her an amused look. “Agreed.”

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Nayeon sways her legs, patiently waiting for Jungyeon to finish talking on the phone as they both sit on a bench, far from the romantic movie happening back at the pond.

Ew.

 

“Hey Seungyeon,” Jungyeon finally says after a while of silence. “I’m at the park right now,”

 

Nayeon silently watches the taller girl mindlessly look around while she talks in the phone. Her heart picks up its pace, how the hell did she manage to get with her, but then Jungyeon makes a face to keep her entertained and she laughs.

 

“Stop doing that!” She lands a hit on Jungyeon’s shoulder and the latter tries not to laugh in the phone.

 

“Are you with someone?” She manages to hear from the phone but then Jungyeon turns away.

 

“Yes. Just- No!” The taller girl shouts in the phone. Nayeon spies an embarrassed scowl on her face. “Anyways. Are mom and dad at the shop?”

 

Nayeon purses her lips in her wait.

 

“Alright, is the guest room empty then?”

 

A habit of hers since little, pursing her lips. She should stop doing that.

 

“Nothing.” Jungyeon takes the phone away from her ear and turns to Nayeon with a small smile.

 

“Let’s go.”

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

The moment Nayeon steps inside Jungyeon’s family pastry shop, the latter grabs her hand in hers, sending her stomach in an acrobatics tournaments against her heart and her mind.

 

The door closes behind her and the little bell above it rings it's melodious tune. Nayeon notices (through her spazzing over Jungyeon holding her hand moment) that the shop is quite empty, probably because it’s still too early for customers to come.

At the counter stands Jungyeon’s older sister, Seungyeon, (the one who came to fetch Jungyeon at the party a few weeks ago). Jungyeon growls at her sister when she sees her smirk upon their arrival.

 

“What’s up loverbirds?” She mocks with her chin creasing into her palm.

 

“Shut up.” Jungyeon warns as they don’t stop their track, going past the counter, opening the old fashioned door behind it and stepping into the confines of the staff area. She hears Seungyeon cackle behind the closing door but doesn’t mind.

 

“Where are we going?” Nayeon wonders when they take up a flight of steps toward somewhere she has never been to before. Jungyeon doesn’t answer, if just squeezes her hand.

 

They walk past the stairs, and Nayeon doesn’t have time to see where it leads when Jungyeon pulls them to the left, walking toward a glass door at the end of a somber corridor, light falling inside in spreading sunrays. The taller girl lets go of her hand to open the door, it creaks, and Nayeon comes face to face with a balcony that gives onto- well, buildings, but under the sun and the sky of the setting sun.

 

“Woah! Jungyeon!” She excitedly exclaims, rushing to the edge and lifting her eyes to the sky.

 

“We can’t really get further up, it’s not ours.”

 

Nayeon turns to Jungyeon. She knows she looks happy at the moment. So she goes to Jungyeon in the midst of delighted chuckles and wraps her arms around her shoulders.

 

Her clothes shift under the autumn wind of early September. She holds Jungyeon in her arms and digs her nose in the girl’s hoodie. Familiar hands come to grip her jacket at the end of her back.

 

She pulls back - just the head - and stares at Jungyeon’s red face.

 

“Am I still annoying now?” She asks with a teasing smile and Jungyeon scoffs.

 

“Always.”

 

Nayeon hums, feeling Jungyeon’s heart beat against her chest, pressed against hers.

 

She leans in for a kiss. Their lips lock, under the wind and the feeling of love.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Notes: Hi, so this is basically the extra, final-ish chapter of the story. I'm sorry for the wait (I legit wrote that like 0.2 seconds ago) and yeah, I'll mark this story as complete for now!

If you guys have any ideas for me to write, pleaaaase tell me about it! It's my pleasure to hear you out!

Thanks a lot for reading if you made it this far (whoever did, I l o v e y o u); for commenting (seriously, thankssss) annnnnd ofc upvoting (thannkkkskskks).