Striking differences

Passing Grade

When Nayeon strolls inside the school’s gates in the morning, she readies herself for an usual, brilliant day.

Bathing in the morning sunlight, she exhales happily. There’s the usual smile on her pretty face and her eyes bend under the rim of her glasses. When school is a hassle for most students, Nayeon finds it invigorating.

Today’s an unual day. A day where she steps in the school’s corridor and feels everyone’s gaze on her. Then, she meets up with her friends during homeroom and chats about the latest gossips going around. She sits through classes, preferably at the front to avoid any nuisance from her noisy friends, and she eats lunch with Jihyo, her bestfriend.

She laughs out loud when her classmate cracks a stupid joke, laying on Jihyo’s shoulder for support.

Later on, Nayeon smiles at the teacher during class and she knows she will get a good grade again.

This is an usual school day for the praised and sociable student that is Im Nayeon.

It’s nearing the end of the day, the teacher is desperatly trying to get the students’ focus again, and Nayeon moves her slender fingers to slip her round glasses up on her nose.

The air is stuffy in the classroom, the sun is shining through the closed curtains and Nayeon has to squint her eyes to get past the blindness of the powerful sunrays.

She snickers for a second, watching as Jackson fails to lay low under the teacher’s venomenous glare. She feels the back of her head warming up because of the sunlight, and suddenly wishes for time to fly faster.

“Pupils,”

The grizzling of the school’s speaker suddenly grabs the class’ attention, as well as Nayeon’s. She grunts under her breath, wondering if the schoolbell would ever ring in this damned place, mood totally different than in the morning. After almost eight hours of classes, she just wants to get out of here.

“Student Im Nayeon --”

Her name echoes in the classroom, she has to blink twice to realize she got called.

“Huh?” She whispers. Before she has any time to think about it, the speaker booms the following of the principle’s monotone voice.

“-- and Yoo Jungyeon. Please report to the principle’s office.”

When the speaker switches off, everyone turns around to look at her. The heat’s getting unbearable but Nayeon forgets about it as soon as she locks eyes with Jihyo, who sends her one confused look. Afterall, they always sticked together in school, so if Nayeon were to do something worth getting called in the principle’s office, Jihyo would be involved in some way.

“Yo Nayeon! Somethin’ happened?” Jackson quirks up her way, and Nayeon shifts her eyes to his own with the same amount of surprise as him. “Bad girl side finally showing up, hm?”

He jokes, and Nayeon puffs her cheeks out when she hears Jihyo snickering. “Very funny.”

The bell rings loudly and everyone starts to shuffle out of their seats. She would be relieved but, really, why would the principle call her to his office, noting that she’s the perfect student? Great grades, great sociability, and more importantly, immaculate record. Perfectly clean.

Great, now she’ll have to cancel her ice cream session with Jihyo.

“Hey but, Jungyeon got called too right?” Jihyo whispers in her ear as Nayeon stands up to block the sunlight from frying the back of her brain.

“Jungyeon?”

After a blink, she turns to the back of the class. Her glasses kind of reflect the sunlight, and Nayeon thinks that she should invest in contact lenses.

She sees the short haired girl drowsily looking up from having her left cheek plastered on her desk, pulled out from her sleep and eyes bloated like she just woke up from peaceful slumber. Other than that, it’s the usual Jungyeon.

Short hair styled in a simple way, jawline more defined than some boys in the class. Nayeon’s not even kidding.

Yoo Jungyeon is that boyish girl of the school -- very cliché, but that’s the truth; and she’s that specific student who always sleeps in the far back of the class, if she’s attending class that is, and the teachers are just too done to care for her academic success, as the girl never showed any will of doing so herself.

Nayeon scrunches up her nose at the small, white trail near Jungyeon’s mouth that the latter wipes with her sleeve.

She hears Jihyo comment on how the girl’s actually present in class today, and she shrugs as an answer.

She’s suddenly too focused on watching Jungyeon stand up and grab her (never) opened bag, hastily breaking out of class. She can hear the teacher  sigh from her spot.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

“I wonder why you got called though,” Jihyo wonders out loud after she sips on the juice box Nayeon gave her earlier during lunch. (‘Are you going to drink that? Gimme.’) Her bag hangs loosely on her left shoulder, hand tucked in her skirt’s pocket.

Now that the ice cream parlour usual detour got postponed, Jihyo doesn’t really have anything else to do for the afternoon. Apparently, Mina’s busy with her dance rehearsal, and Tzuyu told her she has something to take care of.

Studying seems like the last thing she’d otp for, so, she thought, might as well walk with Nayeon and she has to admit, the saying “curiosity killed the cat” never spoke to her this much in her life.

The brunette walks slowly, Nayeon on her side, having nothing other to watch than the older girl nervously biting her lips and nothing other to listen to than their footsteps and the juicebox gradually emptying sip after sip. She’s starting to feel bored.

“I guess we’ll have to see.” Jihyo answers her own question when sees Nayeon lost in her own world.

After a while, her ears peck up at the faint music coming from behind her. She turns to see a figure walking behind them. “Hey Nabongs,”

“Hm?”

“She’s there.”

Jihyo’s words ring in Nayeon’s head and she looks up from the floor. There’s a faint music coming from behind, she notices only now, and when she whips her head back, her eyes fall on none other that Yoo Jungyeon.

It’s weird, she thinks. Who listens to music with the volume this high? God, she can hear the song from the girl’s earbuds.

“That’s extra loud,” She mutters, catching Jihyo’s nod on her side.

Nayeon just wonders about the reason why did  they get called together exactly. There’s no way they could be associated together: they’re just way too different.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________“Girls, step in.”

Jihyo pats Nayeon’s shoulder one last time before pushing her inside the office.

From the corner of her eyes, she sees Jungyeon coming to a halt right next to her. The song from the girl’s earbuds stopped. Or significantly lowered down, who knows.

Looking back at the principal, Nayeon blinks.

He is wearing quite the mixed expression on his face. Having the best and the worst student standing in front of him doesn’t make any good to his wrinkles near his eyes, as he had to either smile or glare depending who he was looking at.

Nayeon definitely doesn’t get the glare, but that doesn’t mean she felt any comfortable.

Jungyeon, much differently from her, looked pretty… calm. There was no movement from her hands, legs or face.

Nayeon’s gaze lingers on her for a little too long and Jungyeon manages to catch it with a look of her own. Only then does she get reminded that Jungyeon’s eyes are sharp looking, defined, carrying some feeling of mystery into them.

The eye contact sends a shiver down her spine.

She clasps her hands around her bag’s strings and purses her lips in an unsure smile directed toward the old man, while Jungyeon merely looks back to her phone, locking it but keeping it in her hand, only taking off her left earbud.

The principal sighs, making Nayeon wonder how many times exactly did he have to deal with her.

“There’s nothing to worry about, Nayeon.” He starts, voice low and reassuring. “I called you both here today because I am trying to find a new ray of hope for this girl here.”

Pointing to Jungyeon, Nayeon crans her head in her direction to find the taller girl glaring at her. She gulps. Great. This is definitely not good news.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Notes: So this is the first chapter, sorry that it's pretty boring, i just needed to get this part done with! 2nd chapter's way more interesting hopefully.