Mango cakes

Passing Grade

When Nayeon steps inside the bakery shop Jungyeon led her to, she finds a cozy ahtmosphere in a place that looks surprisingly neat and pretty. But overall, and unlike most coffee shops in the center of the city, it's cute.

 

“This is nice.” She comments, to which she doesn’t get an answer. “I didn’t think you’d be the type to go to cute place.” She snarls and only then does Jungyeon push her shoulder lightly.

 

“Sit there.” The short haired girl points to a table near the window, a table that Nayeon herself would have picked to sit at. They might not be that different actually.

 

Nayeon sits down on the cute wooden chair, taking a look around the shop Jungyeon brought her to. Everything seems somewhat familiar thanks to the dim lightning and the small tables that convey an athlosphere of conviviality.

 

It’s nothing fancy at all, more of comforting. Nayeon never really liked fancy places as she thought of herself odd inside of them. Her eyes go back to Jungyeon, who’s already walking to her with two plates in her hands.

 

“Here.”

 

“T- That was fast?” She watches Jungyeon set the two plates with a small smile on her face.

 

“Give me one second.” The taller turns around to go back… inside the kitchen. Inside the kitchen?

 

Only then does Nayeon notice the young woman behind the counter staring at her, sending her a warm smile when she meets her eyes. Not knowing how to deal with strange people, she awkwardly smiles back.

 

Then, Jungyeon bursts out of the door, holding two large cups filled with milkshakes, and she scowls at something the young woman seemed to have told her. The short haired girl turns to her with an embarassed smile and-- oh, is the woman waving at her?

 

“I’m sorry, sister's kind of nosy.” Jungyeon apologizes with a frown as soon as she arrives to the table, and Nayeon blinks in confusion.

 

“Sister?”

 

“Hm.”

 

“Your family owns a bakery?”
 

“Yeah. I figured I could bring you here because--”

 

“That’s awesome!” She doesn’t let the short haired girl finish her sentence, clearly impressed at the news. Unknown to her, her eyes twinkle as she pushes her elbows on the table, just when Jungyeon sits down across from her.

 

“Do you get to eat pastries all the time?” Nayeon asks, pitch higher than usual. "Do you taste all the new creations?"

 

“I don’t." Jungyeon raises a judging eyebrow to her and Nayeon bites her lower lip. Tasting new pastries could be her job, and she wouldn't complain. "This is a shop, you know.”

 

While Nayeon radiats with excitment, Jungyeon simply sits back in her seat, chewing on her pastry with the usual blank look on her pretty face.

 

“Oh right.” Nayeon laughs at her own stupidity, eliciting a smile on Jungyeon’s features. She takes a look at the pastries and the drinks on the small round table. Hinder suddenly knots her stomach.

 

“But… Is this okay? I mean, I only brought little money as I thought we were just going to… skateboard.”

 

“What nonsense is that,” Jungyeon shurgs. “This is on the house.”

 

“What? It’s my first time here, I can’t do that!” Nayeon exclaims while Jungyeon takes a bite of her mango cake. The taller girl hums in appreciation.

 

“Oh this is good.”

 

Nayeon sighs and sits back in her chair. Her eyes meet Jungyeon's, who’s just telling her to drop the whole matter, and eventually she tilts her head to the side to hide a lovestruck smile.

 

“Alright.” Nayeon beams. “Thank you Jungyeon.”

 

Said girl just nods, too busy stuffing food in , as always.

 

After a while of silent eating, and a whole lot of staring around the place from Nayeon, the short haired girl suddenly coughs in her balled fist when the milkshake cups are halfway empty.

 

“You know,” Jungyeon starts, twirling her straw in her drink. The circular motion of the straw in fingers strangely calms Nayeon’s racing heart. It’s not healthy for her to stay around Jungyeon for too long, her blood tends to rush too fast.

 

“I’m happy with the whole… tutoring thing.” Jungyeon shrugs, eyes not leaving her straw.

 

Her words catch Nayeon off guard. She noticed during these past three months that Jungyeon isn’t really the type to open her heart to anyone, let alone Nayeon. Yet she's doing just that at the moment.

 

Where does this come from? It warms Nayeon’s heart, of course, because she realizes that she isn’t the only one happy with the situation. It's reciprocated, and she’s already imagining Jihyo shaking her shoulder teasingly when she'll tell her about it.

 

“I mean, my grades are getting better and,” Jungyeon opens to add something, but it seems to die down when they lock eyes.

 

Nayeon raises her eyebrows, pressuring Jungyeon to go further.

 

“And… I… got a new friend?”

 

She chuckles at her expression. It’s like Jungyeon is asking a confirmation, something that Nayeon can totally give her.

She flicks her gaze on Jungyeon's pursed lips, on Jungyeon's so called sister and back on her fork.

 

“Same here.” She reassures the taller girl, who casts her eyes back on her drink. She’s smiling and… is that a blush on her cheeks? Something in Nayeon turns hopeful. Maybe...

 

“Maybe…” She unconsciously mutters under her breath, making Jungyeon look up curiously.

 

“Hm?”

 

Nayeon sips on her drink, eyes bending happily. “Nothing.”

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

“Jihyo.” Nayeon whispers as soon as the line connects. “I think I like her.”

 

“Woah woah, not even a hello first? Are you really Nayeon?”

 

Nayeon whines cutely, frustration oozing off her expression. She clings on the phone a little harder. Dealing with her heart aching for her crush the moment she left her earlier in the afternoon proved to be tougher than she expected, and in tough times, Nayeon always turns to Jihyo for help.

 

“I think I really like her.” She whispers again. Her mother is in the kitchen while she is sitting in the living room. She really doesn’t want her mother to hear her.

 

“So you ditched us to go out with her, I assume?” Jihyo scoffs on the other side of the line, referring to her turning down an afternoon with Mina and Sana, and suddenly Nayeon feels bad.

 

“Listen--”

“I’m just kidding.” Typical of Jihyo. “Tell me, how did it go?” The younger girl excitedly asks and Nayeon blurts out the first thing that comes in her mind, the most important in her opinion.

 

“Her family owns a bakery!” Jihyo audibly gasps.

 

“Never tell Momo about this.” Jihyo advises and Nayeon breaks into a loud laugh.

 

Her mother snaps her head to her, squinting her eyes at her daughter. Judging that it is past 10 p.m, Nayeon gets the signal to stand up and go to her room since she is being too loud.

 

“She showed me how to skateboard.”

 

The younger girl lets out a “ooooohhh”, signaling her to go on. Nayeon gets a warm feeling spreading in her chest.

 

“And…” Nayeon closes her door. “And I kinda stumbled? So she held me by the waist,”

 

Jihyo lets out a sound that is similar to two hamsters wrestling, and Nayeon giggles all embarassingly.

 

“And I’m here, all alone sulking in a corner. This is so exciting Nayeon!” Jihyo squeals and Nayeon flushes bright red, unconsciously pacing in her room.

 

“And-” Jihyo rambles on. “Remember how she said she dated a girl? That means you totally have your chances! Ah, my little Nayeon is experiencing love!”

 

“She said she’s happy with the tutoring thing,” Nayeon catches her breath. Jihyo is definitely going to sway at this, “Because she got a new friend.”

 

“THIS IS SO CHEESY!”

 

“Agh-- My ears!”

 

“Oh, sorry.” Jihyo apologizes, surely not feeling sorry at all. “What did you answer?”

 

“I…" Nayeon frowns. What did she answer again? "I said I was happy too.”

 

“Boooorrrinnng.” Jihyo emphasizes with the ‘r’ and the ‘o’, making Nayeon want to strangle her.

 

“Why did I even call you to begin with?” Nayeon asks more to herself than to Jihyo.

 

“Because you’re too lovestruck to think straight.”

 

“Hey, I said I might like her, not that I’m head over heels.” The line grizzles, and Nayeon hears Jihyo move around.

 

“See that I was right?” Jihyo proudly declares. “Honestly though, skateboarding? Skinship? Can’t you see how this rhymes perfectly? Jungyeon’s kinda smart.”

 

“Shut uuuup,”

 

“Don’t get laid to soon kid!"


Her bestfriend cackles. Nayeon grips her phone tight. Jihyo knows how to piss her off, really.

“I’M OLDER THAN YOU!”

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Notes: short chapter since i didnt respect anything with the last update lmao get ready for whipped nayeon