Are bathrooms magic?

Passing Grade

Nayeon sits down on the plastic chair of the canteen, mentally complaining about the hardness of it all. It’s going to take a toll on her at this rythm, and she definitely doesn’t want a flat behind.

 

“Are you gonna drink your juice?” Her bestfriend quirks up in front of her, setting her elbows on the table.

 

“What’s up with you and juices lately?” Nayeon asks while she wraps her fingers around the small box of juice. Jihyo follows her movements in a shrug.

 

“Craving sweet things I guess.” She says when she grabs the juice box.

 

“Are you pregnant?”

 

“Watch your mouth.”

 

Nayeon chuckles before digging in her definitely not appetizing plate. She watches the crowd of students moving around in the cafeteria, spotting a few she knows busy with either eating or chatting. Then, she catches the sight of a short haired girl grabbing her bag of food, eyes wandering to the tables in the room.

 

“Is she looking for a spot?” Jihyo asks her, already knowing they were pondering on the same thing.

 

Nayeon locks eyes with Jungyeon and waves eagerly while the latter smiles her way.

 

“Come here!” She calls out and Jungyeon takes a second to move. Nayeon watches with a smile how the taller girl moves her body swiftly in between buzzing students to reach her table, an embarassed smile on her face. The dimple shows and it makes Nayeon want to kiss it.

 

Wait, no, not… kiss it. Not ki--

“Hey.” Jungyeon greets with a hand, and Nayeon gets brought back from her thoughts.

 

“Sit down Ostrich.” Jihyo starts. “I suggest you go beside Nayeon because I have a tendency to grab people’s food when too close.”

 

Jungyeon, eyes shifting between the two girls, sets with listening to Jihyo’s advice. It makes Nayeon oddly happy. But of course, she turns to Jihyo, meeting the latter’s evil smile when Jungyeon looks inside her bag.

 

“That math period starved me.” Jungyeon mutters beside her, already stuffing with food. “I knew I should have skipped.”

 

Nayeon looks up and slaps Jungyeon’s shoulder. “Don’t skip anymore! You’re doing really well, don’t jinx it.”

 

“But, it’s boring! Plus, I could always borrow your notes.”

 

“You think I’ll let you off easily like that?”

 

“You were pretty easy last ti--”

“Shut up!”

 

Jihyo knocks the table slightly. “If you excuse me, I’ll go to the bathroom.”

Nayeon catches the wink the younger girl sends her when she glares at her in panick. She still doesn’t know how to deal with Jungyeon and-- nevermind, Jungyeon is too busy eating.
Nayeon watches as the bob haired girl swallows her sandwich, using all of her face muscles to properly chew everything.

 

She unconsciously stares. Never had she seen someone eat like this.

 

“You… eat well.”

 

“Thnsk y--”

 

She scrunches up her nose when a bit of sandwich comes flying to the ground. “Don’t speak when your mouth’s full .”

 

Jungyeon raises a tentative finger in front of her face, staring down into Nayeon’s eyes. She would have taken her seriously, if her cheeks didn’t look on the verge of explosing.
 

“Eat first.” Nayeon grins while putting down Jungyeon’s hand. "You look like a squirrel."

 

She turns back to her food, eating as neatly as possible. Jungyeon, on her side, is busy with munching on everything she puts in . Nayeon can’t seem to hold back her laughter anymore.

 

“Here.” She gives the girl her glass of water, amusement twirling in her eyes. Jungyeon takes it and their fingers graze for a second.


It’s unusual that she manages to notice such little things, she thinks as she watches Jungyeon chug down the water.

 

“I’m back loverbirds,” Jihyo sits back loudly in her chair, and Jungyeon lowkey chokes on the water.

 

Nayeon glares one of her hardest glare she can muster to her bestfriend, who answers with another wink of hers. Damn this girl, she isn’t helping at all.

 

“Ah, thanks Nayeon.” Jungyeon breathes out after she regains her ability to open without food spilling out of it.

 

They both obviously ignore Jihyo’s comment, which Jihyo herself doesn’t ignore.


“Jungyeon, tell me, have you dated before?” Park Investigator Jihyo strikes once more while staring at Jungyeon. Nayeon looks on, horrified, and partly feeling bad for the taller girl.

“I… kind of dated once. You?” Even Nayeon couldn’t ask such questions when they played the twenty questions game. How did Jihyo gather so much courage to ask this? Or maybe that’s because she doesn’t see Jungyeon like Nayeon does and-- Oh God, what is she saying!

 

“One time only. Who was it? Boy or girl?”

 

At this one, it’s Nayeon’s turn to choke. Jungyeon and Jihyo turn to her and at least Jungyeon has the decency to fill her glass with water.

 

“Are you okay?” She asks when giving the cup to her and Nayeon just nods away.

 

“Anyways.” Jihyo carries and Nayeon makes a mental note as to not forget to kill her later. “So?”

 

Nayeon drinks the water hastily before Jungyeon can answer and make her feel weird things again.

 

Jungyeon, surprisingly, doesn’t answer just now.

 

“You’re not disgusted are you?”

 

“No.” Jihyo answers, a warm smile spreading on her face, as if she already knew the answer before asking the question. All the while, Nayeon remains quite lost here.

 

“A girl, last year.”

 

But, Nayeon chokes again, and Jihyo nods. “That’s cool!”

 

“I think she’s dying.” Jungyeon declares, pointing a thumb at her.

 

“Goddamnit Nabongs.”

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

A while later, which translates to when Nayeon successfully can breath again, the two resume their conversation.

 

“I dated a boy in the last year of junior high and… that’s it.”

 

“Really? But you’re pretty popular around school, how come?”

 

Nayeon doesn’t exactly join the exchange because, Nayeon is just praying for the bell to ring, actually. Really, she doesn’t need to hear about Jungyeon’s ex, and definitely not about Jihyo’s ex (hell, she was the one comforting her when the two broke up at that time).

 

Plus, she can’t just leave the table since that’d be rude (and truthfully, she doesn’t want to, not when Jungyeon’s shoulder is touching hers) but Jihyo isn’t making it any easy for her. Knowing the girl, she’s 100% sure that the latter is doing it on purpose.

 

Ah, Jihyo is such a good friend.

 

“How about you Nayeon?” Jungyeon gently nudges her shoulder and it wakes Nayeon from her dream.
 

“Hm?”

 

“Dating.” Jungyeon’s face is surprisingly blank, eyes unreadable.

 

“Oh, um.” She hums, buying time to send a angry look at Jihyo. See, this is what the younger girl wanted to do all along.

 

“I only kissed someone once, but I never really dated.”

 

Jungyeon goes wide eyed at her words. Nayeon swears, she can feel Jihyo’s snicker.

 

“What?”

 

“What what?” Nayeon asks sheepishly. Truthfully, Love with a capital L never seemed to grasp her curiosity. She never got curious enough (or in love enough) to want to date someone. Even though, the offers never lacked.

 

“How come you never dated when you… when you look like this?” Jungyeon flashes a hand over her face.

 

“I know right?” Jihyo fuels the surprise. “All these years with Nayeon and I never saw her get interested in someone enough to date.”

 

Nayeon feels her inside setting on fire and she just wants to beat up Jihyo, on the spot. Surely, a catfight would amuse the students around here.

 

“Yeah, you’re really pretty.”

 

Jungyeon adds, and that’s when Nayeon can’t hold back a smile breaking on her face. It feels nice to be complimented by someone she actually valued in her heart. Someone she might like.

 

“Thanks, I guess…”

 

Jungyeon doesn’t break the eye contact when Nayeon shyly tucks a hairstrand behind her ear but the bell rings, signaling the end of lunch time.

 

“Alright!” Jihyo springs up her chair, loud, as usual. “Let’s go fellas.”

 

“I wanna skip so bad.” Jungyeon mutters on her side while putting on her hoodie over her uniform, and Nayeon turns around with a frown.

 

“Don’t skip!”

 

“I forgot to tell you Jungyeon, Nayeon’s actually the nosy type of gal.” Jihyo adds to her anger, and Nayeon punches her arm.

 

“Ow! See?”


“You won’t live to see the day.” Nayeon whispers in her ear and this time, Jihyo feels goosebumps from fear erupt on her skin. She might have pushed the buttons too far.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Nayeon shifts in her seat, reading the crabbed formula on the paper.

 

“No the... When you have this expression here, you need to derivate it twice.” Nayeon instructs to the short haired girl sitting beside her. This time, they’re studying maths.
 

“Ugh, who thought that once wasn’t enough!” Jungyeon rants and ruffles her hair in frustration. Nayeon does feel sorry for her. And she definitely agrees with her.

 

“I know right? But for now we have to do it.”

 

Jungyeon groans, grabbing her pencil back in her hand again. “Fine.”

 

Nayeon smiles to her.

 

“So… Yeah, you derivate like this.” Pointing her finger on the paper, she shows Jungyeon the right answer. The taller girl scribbles something down.

 

“You know what?" Nayeon starts, and gets Jungyeon to look at her. "Finish this exercise and we’ll take a break.”

 

Jungyeon sighs, and looks at her like she’s the next generation prophete.

 

“Oh God, yes,” She surprisingly exhales with a husky voice. Nayeon stops moving altogether, the sight replaying in her mind as she furiously blinks. A wave of heat pools down her body, fueling the heat on the lowest part of her tummy.

 

When Nayeon remains still for a few seconds more, Jungyeon eyes her in between scribbles. “You ‘kay?”

 

“N- I’m good.” Nayeon says, while standing up. “I need to use the rest room.”

 

“Hm.”

 

With that, Nayeon bolts for to the restroom, passing the wrinkly librarian who’s sending her a disapproving look. She ignores her, as always, and opens the door of to close it behind her, resting on it with her shoulder.

 

The heat down there doesn’t diminish the more she thinks about Jungyeon’s voice. What the just happened?

 

She pushes herself off the door, walking to the mirrors. “God…” She mutters under her breath, wiping her face gently. It’s not the first time that she gets , not even the first time by the short haired. But this time? This time, it hit her out of nowhere.

 

Nayeon takes out her phone and speed dials Jihyo. She always does that when she has no idea of what’s going on.

 

“Hello?”

 

“Jihyo!” Nayeon puts up her glasses correctly, back in place. “I need-- I don’t know what’s happening with me,”

 

“Hold up, where are you?”

 

“School’s library.” Nayeon runs a hand through her hair.

 

“Oh yeah. Did something happen?”

 

The black haired girl turns around, staring in the mirror. She sees herself, looking quite alarmed at the sensastion she’s having down there.

 

“I just- Jungyeon used this.. low and, husky voice and--”

 

“Annnd you got ." Jihyo cuts her, "You called me for that?”

 

“But- Jihyo I--”

 

“Oops, sorry Nayeon looks like the drama is about to start. Bye!”

 

Beep, beep, beep--

 

“That !” Nayeon mutters after Jihyo hangs up. “I swear--”
 

The door creaks open, and Jungyeon pops her head in. She’s wearing a blank expression on her face. Nayeon thinks that the world really has it against her lately. She’s just waiting for the moment when she’ll slip in her covers and doze off, waking up to a new day and a new chance for her not to make a fool out of herself.

 

Jungyeon steps inside and lets the door fall to a close. “I finished the exercise. What are you doing?”

 

“I’m just… arranging my hair.” Nayeon shrugs, embarassment crawling up her neck.

 

“With your phone?” That’s when she regrets not practicing lying when she was younger.

 

“Alright, maybe I wasn’t doing that.” Nayeon declares in an unconscious pout, and Jungyeon laughs, stepping closer to her. She looks in the mirror, straightnening her bob haircut a little (which doesn’t turn on Nayeon any further, not at all.) and then, turns to Nayeon.

 

“Lemme do it for you,” She whispers, fingers entangling with Nayeon’s bangs. The shorter girl stands frozen on the spot, very similarly to the last time Jungyeon found her in the bathroom of the main building.

 

Nayeon waits, unmoving, staring at Jungyeon’s back in the mirror.

 

“Here.” Jungyeon turns around and pushes her to the mirror.

 

Nayeon tries to forget about her heart thundering in her chest when she opens her pursed lips.

 

“I can’t see anything, you covered my eyes.”

 

Jungyeon laughs, resting on Nayeon’s shoulders for a second. Every contact of the older girl sends trails of fire down her skin. The notion of infatuation always seemed so distant, but now, the word is building up on her tongue, aching to slip from her lips.

 

“I know what we could do this week end.” Jungyeon starts, squeezing her shoulder while they walk back to their table. The few students in the place stare at them as they walk past, and when her hand leaves her shirt cladded skin, Nayeon doesn’t stop thinking about it.

 

“We?”

 

“I still owe you a skateboarding session.”

 

Oh right, Nayeon almost forgot about it. At this point, her mind is too clouded to really think about anything.

 

Ah, she needs to consult Jihyo about this.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

“You ready?” Jungyeon snickers when she plops her skateboard to the ground, the object falling backwards.

 

Nayeon regrets ever mentionning that she wanted to learn how to skateboard. She’s sure that, with her physical performances nearing the negatives, that she is going to make Jungyeon have quite the laughin fit here.

 

“No?” She tentitavely answers, eyes locking with Jungyeon. Today is a bright Sunday, nice weather, nice company. Nayeon may have ditched her friends for this, she may also be convincing herself that she didn’t and… And yeah, Jihyo might be right actually. She might like Jungyeon.

 

The taller girl chuckles before opening her palm to her.

 

“Give me your hand.”

 

Nayeon complies. Her fingers slip in Jungyeon’s hand, butterflies invading her chest when the short haired girl closes her fingers around hers.

 

“Put your feet there.” Jungyeon points to the skateboard, but Nayeon watches her side profile for a little longer than she should. She never met a girl with such a distinctive jawline. Heck, she doesn’t know if she knows any guy with such a handsome feature.

 

Jungyeon turns her head to face her, and Nayeon’s heart jumbles around in her ribcage.

 

“Hey bunny girl, I’m talking to you.”

 

“Ah yeah, sorry.” She mutters as she feels a blush creep on her cheeks.

 

Really, she can’t help herself now that she is seeing Jungyeon dressed in casual clothes. Her hair is messier than usual since they are outside, the wind blowing through her simple white tee. Nayeon realizes that Jungyeon isn’t the hobo she imagined her to be. No hobo wears stylish, torn jeans.

 

“Ya- Ya!” Nayeon screams when she puts her feet on the board, instability meeting her.

 

Jungyeon laughs a curt, breathless laughter when Nayeon clutches her hand.

 

“You didn’t even put your second foot yet!”

“Your job is to hold me, not to make fun of me!” Nayeon scowls when she puts her feet back on the ground.

 

“Should I hold your two hands then, princess?”

 

“You might have to,” Nayeon grins, putting her other hand in Jungyeon’s. She’s feeling a whole new pack of feelings, like she just unlocked something in her heart. It invades her whole body, takes over her brain and her usual reasoning, especially when she sees Jungyeon smile, eyes downcast.

 

“Look at your feet.” The taller girl instructs and Nayeon feels like laughing at herself.

 

She puts her foot back in place, hesitently tightening her hold on Jungyeon.

 

Then, she puts her other foot up on the board in a yelp. “Why is the board so small?!”

 

“It’s supposed to be easier.”

 

“Whoever said that is a liar.” Nayeon mutters, and Jungyeon looks more focused that she is.

 

“Alright now, push? Maybe?” Jungyeon looks in her eyes, gently pushing her leading her forward, tease dripping from her tone.

 

“Don’t ask for too much.” Nayeon feels the board moving as Jungyeon tugs at her arms lightly. Her hold on her hands is so soft, delicate, like she’s scared of hurting her. Never had anyone held her hand like this.

 

But she feels herself sway and she yelps, Jungyeon fast to take a hold of her waist to prevent her from falling.

 

“God--  And you do this by pleasure?” Nayeon asks her as she wraps an arm around Jungyeon’s shoulder. They’re the closest they have ever been for the past near three months they started aknowledging each other, and it sends Nayeon in a giddy frenzy. She’s smiling despite nearly busting her because of the skateboard.

 

“You’re just not focusing on the right thing right now.”

 

Jungyeon’s words ring in her mind, and Nayeon can’t help but notice the knowledge in her words. She crans her head to look down to Jungyeon, who meets her eyes with a smirk.

 

“I- I think I’m done for today.” Nayeon stutters as she hops off the board, Jungyeon helping her. Arm still around the taller girl, she archs her back when she feels Jungyeon slip her hand on her side. Her insides churn, she wants to do things that she will probably regret in the near future. It’s the first time for her to feel like this, so strongly for someone, and it’s a girl, surprisingly.

 

Jungyeon reaches out to her forehead, putting back in place her bangs. Nayeon gets more and more surprised at her thoughtfulness, something she didn’t expect the taller girl to have.

 

“Such a gentleman-- woman!” She lets go of Jungyeon, and the latter wiggles her eyebrows.

 

Nayeon laughs and Jungyeon jumps on her board, carelessly cruising around her with her hands digging her pockets. The sun is low on the sky, tailtell sign of the afternoon ending.

 

Her feelings stay here, in the pit of her stomach. She has to admit, Jungyeon looks cool on her skateboard.

 

“Where do you wanna go next?” She declares, eyes not leaving Nayeon for a second.

 

She starts walking, slowly, because she has no idea herself.

 

“What’s your favorite pastry?” Nayeon asks her and Jungyeon looks down to the ground for a second.

 

“Strawberry shortcake I guess.” She answers. They turn silent because Nayeon waits for the taller girl to ask her.

 

“Oh, is this the part where I ask you?”

 

“I knew you were curious.”

“Not reall--”

 

“Mine is mango cake! You know, I think mango in general is underrated.” Nayeon starts her usual ‘You should love mango more’ speech and Jungyeon watches on, more interested by the way Nayeon’s lips move than the words coming out of it.

 

“Cute...” Jungyeon comments, seemingly to herself as she isn't really looking at her, and it cuts Nayeon in her speech. Her ears burn along with her cheeks.

 

“Bakery shop?” Jungyeon suggests wile she pushes herself forward, leading Nayeon.


Nayeon chuckles, shyly. “Bakery shop.”

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Notes: this is very long i'd like to give an applause to you if you managed to reach the notes lmao

i once taught a friend how to skateboard and i realized how much skinship it involves so i had to make 2yeon do it

i bet you can't solve the mystery behind my titles ;)) they're pretty easy lmao