Annoying face

Passing Grade

Nayeon’s trying really hard not to gape in shock at the principal. Maybe her ears are failing her, or like… her nervous system or… something. Something, for sure, because this couldn’t be happening.

“So, Nayeon. Are you okay with this?” The principal asks again, his eyes wrinkles appearing under his spectacles.

Jungyeon moves on her side, a quiet curse escaping her lips.

Nayeon doesn’t miss the slight stressed twitch of the old man’s eyebrow. She kind of pities him, but then she sees Jungyeon’s carefree face, realizing the girl doesn’t give a damn about her education, and she gets frustrated.

If she heard it right, the principal just asked her if she could help Jungyeon with ‘study sessions’ to bring something positive to her grades, of which are almost all below passing.

Basically, he wants her to tutor Jungyeon.

The first thing that comes to her mind is “Why me?”, which she skillfully manages to hold inside , and then a whole lot of other questions that she, too, holds back from rolling off her tongue.

“I- I…” She stammers. There’s some new found discomfort to the whole situation.

When she looks back at Jungyeon, she finds her staring, blankly. There’s a hint of curiosity dancing in her eyes, but that’s it.

Nayeon turns back to the man with the thought of refusing. After all, the two barely knew each other, and they have obviously nothing in common. Surely Jungyeon would rather opt for refusal if she were at her place so why bother with this?

Meeting the principal’s eyes again, she opens , but nothing comes out of it. She doesn’t know whether he’s threatening or begging her with his droppy eyes.

She’s not supposed to be dealing with this right now. She’s supposed be at the ice cream parlor with Jihyo by now.

She’s pressured, and Jungyeon seems as bothered as her, judging from the way the younger girl is busy locking and unlocking her phone repeatedly, hurry radiating rom her body language.

Sure, Nayeon really wants to get this dilemma done with too but, problem is, if she refuses, she’ll have to deal with the principle throwing her nasty glares in the near future, very similarly to what he is doing just now, and that’s something she neither doesn’t necessarily enjoy, nor aspires to.

But if she accepts, she’ll have to deal with the girl next to her. It’s just that, throughout the last schoolyear and the beginning of this one, she realized that she’d rather deal with like, ten guys, than Yoo Jungyeon. There’s something about the tomboy that pushes her on edge.

Now that she thinks of it, she really knows nothing about her. Sure, they have been in the same class for a year now. Sure, she knows about literally everyone in this school.

Except Jungyeon.

The principal coughs in his fist and Nayeon realizes she’s been narrating to herself for more than three minutes, and Jungyeon looks like she’s about to break through the window any second from now.

In a last exhale, Nayeon opts for a “S-Sure,” which triggers a huff from Jungyeon and it makes her tense, and doubt the legitimacy of her answer.

But that seems to content the old man just fine. He sits up, Nayeon’s words making him tug at his tie just to stop himself from smiling.

He fails.

“Alright! Girls, sign here!” There’s an obvious color to his voice when he leads the two of them to sign the paper, Nayeon notices when she takes the pen in her hand. There’s an unknown voice in her head telling her not to sign, and she definitely agrees with that little thing but… she still scraps the paper with her pen and soon enough she finishes her signature.

Then, Jungyeon steps to the desk and takes the pen, looking pointedly in Nayeon’s eyes.

‘Is there something on my face?’ She wonders, fingers softly grazing her cheekbone as she watches the short haired girl bend down as she signs.

The principle prevents her from thinking too much when he suddenly stands up, towering over the two girls.

She lends half an ear to what the principal babbles about, such as the two informing him about the day they would study on and other things the black haired girl couldn’t manage to catch. With what he judged enough informations, he pushes the two girls out of the room.

“I expect results soon ladies!”

The door slams shut behind her, and she tries not to put too much importance on the loud sigh the principle lets out from inside. In the end, he just wanted to wash his hands from Jungyeon’s responsibility. Nayeon isn’t dumb.

“What just happened?” Nayeon whispers to herself. She’s too lost in thoughts to notice Jungyeon going to sit on the empty seats in front of the door.

“This is bull.” Jungyeon mutters as an answer, eyes settled on her phone, and Nayeon feels her whole being wobble in process of realization. SHe hates responsibilities, and giving her a student's future in her hands isn't helping her forgetting nature.

She goes to sit next to the girl with a sigh, the latter rapidly glancing up from her phone.

“Hey, I’m not that bad. Just maybe… bad.” Jungyeon declares with a dismissive wave of her hand, and Nayeon finds herself crossing her legs warily. Her eyes fall on the door leading to where they were standing just a minute ago. She doesn’t know what it is, she feels little next to the other girl.

“I didn’t say that,” She tries lowly, making Jungyeon completely focus on her. Nayeon ignores the analyzing, borderline nosy stare she’s giving her.

“Hm,” The short haired girl pushes a smile on her face “So, which day?”

“Which day for what?” And Jungyeon looks at her weirdly.

“Study sessions.” She pauses, turning away from her. Nayeon suddenly feels dumb. The older girl uncrosses and crosses her legs again, skirt riding up her thighs a little.

She runs a hans through her black locks. “Study sessions…”


“How about Friday?” Jungyeon cuts her hastily, standing up and not bothering to look at her.

“Friday?”

Jungyeon tucks her phone in her pocket, eyes finally drifting to Nayeon’s.

“Yeah, I don’t have the time the other days.”

Nayeon sighs again. Fridays meant watching her favorite drama of the time with her bestfriend. Now that she agreed to the study sessions (it’s not like she can erase her signature), she’s going to miss her drama. The drama she always watches with Jihyo after school, the one with the smoking hot cast of doctors and… nurses and...

That’s enough to send her face in her hands.

She can’t believe she’s going to have to sacrifice her favorite tv show for this.

The whole scene of Nayeon seemingly going dysfunctionnal makes Jungyeon shift in her boots, wondering whether she really provokes such a havoc of feelings in the girl.

They never really talked, she’d truthfully be surprised if Nayeon already hated her. She didn’t do anything bad. Or at least, she doesn’t recall doing anything bad.

“I have to go.”

The taller girl’s voice makes Nayeon raise her head to see that her usual blank expression back in its place. Jungyeon’s looking at the screen of her phone, seemingly too busy to properly wave a goodbye to her as she walks down the corridor rapidly.

Nayeon sinks a little more in her seat, staring at Jungyeon’s back and wondering how the girl made so little noise considering how big her boots are.

Wait. They didn’t even agree on the hour and the place for the sessions and--

“H- Hey!” She calls out for Jungyeon, who turns around and shouts something about the library and how they should meet there tomorrow at 2pm.

It’s like she read her mind. Or waited for her to call her. Either ways, Nayeon nods in a blink, a little too late as Jungyeon already rounded the corner.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________“I swear Jihyo, he just escaped his responsibility and gave it to me!” Nayeon frustratedly rants in her cellphone and Jihyo has to put the device far from her ear. Really far.

“Okay, first of all please don’t screech like that.” The younger girl instructs. She doesn’t want to lose her hearing to screams from that over dramatic bestfriend of hers.

“Second of all.” Jihyo starts. “I’m not surprised.”

“What?! How can you--”

“-- I said no screeching!” Jihyo is the one to scream this time, successfully shutting Nayeon up. They will have to re-discuss whom the title of loudness belongs to after this.

On the other side of the line, Nayeon scratches her head in frustration. She feels some sort of dread invading her, clearly not willing to sacrifice her Fridays afternoons for a random lazy student who probably doesn’t even deserve the attention. If she remembers right, Jungyeon’s bag zipper looks way too meticulously clean and untouched for a student’s bag. But then, she gets reminded of the worst.

“But it’s on Friday afternoon! I’ll miss the drama!”

“Oh God…” Jihyo gasps. There’s some real distress in her voice and the younger can’t help but feel extreme empathy. Not that it’ll help anything.

“I’m so sorry girl.” She can’t help but stiffle a laugh.  “I’ll make sure to fill you in!”

“You ! Why are you laughing, I’m realy not okay here!”

“Hey, at least Jungyeon’s not the typical classmate,” Her bestfriend chuckles with a hint of playfulness and Nayeon groans.

“Oh shut up.” She croaks out dryly. “But still, this old wrinkled mass of limbs of a principal is in--”

“Tsk tsk,” Jihyo instructs, the sound coming from the device in Nayeon’s hand slightly crackling.

 

“At least this whole mess will look good on your record.”

Nayeon hums in agreement. Jihyo’s right, she just has to pull through the rest of the year and hopefully she won’t miss too much of the drama.

 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Nayeon wonders why exactly did the old man choose her for this whole tutoring mess.

 

Surely, she looks pretty considerate towards others, and her grades seem decent enough for her to help one of the worst cases of students around in school.

 

Or maybe he just knew she wouldn’t have refused. Either way, she thinks, he really got out of this situation nice and clean.

 

It’s nearing 2pm, the time at which she’s supposed to meet Jungyeon today. Their study session would take place in the library, just like how the short haired girl told her from the other end of the corridor yesterday, and Nayeon’s making her way there with small, reluctant steps.

 

She just… She doesn’t want to go there. She doesn’t want to go there and “study” with that girl who makes her uncomfortable on way too many levels. First of all, she looks at her way too intensly for Nayeon’s liking. Second of all, there’s this- this aura of chic and coldness around her that Nayeon doesn’t like it either. Third of all, she… well that’s it, but that’s still too much.

 

She rounds the corner of the main corridor and steps out of the main building, walking through the schoolyard.

 

The sun’s high up in the blue sky and it makes the whole situation a little more comfortable. Nayeon’s mood heavily relied on the weather.

 

“It’s a bright day…” She mutters under her breath, eyes gazing up to the birds flying above her head.

On her right, there’s a little garden filled with white flowers, and Nayeon tells herself that she should come here more often-- until she realizes that she’s bound to do so with the study sessions.

 

Anyways.

 

She walks, silently, slowly, under the sunlight as she squints her eyes in a smile: suddenly, everything isn’t so bad.

 

But her blissful emotional escape gets interrupted when she feels a hand gently tap her left shoulder.

 

“Hey,”

 

It scares more than it should.

 

A startled sound escapes her lips and she stumbles backwards, unable to tell who stopped her from completely evading reality just now. Then, the hand grabs her wrist to prevent her from falling and she looks up, puzzled, right into Jungyeon’s eyes.

 

“Are you always this clumsy or?” The taller raises a playful eyebrow while the sun shines down on her and Nayeon yanks her wrist away from her hand. Getting blinded and tripping at the same time really isn’t enjoyable.

 

“You scared me.” She huffs, desperatly hoping for her heart to stop beating so strongly. Jungyeon needs to stop walking so silently, that’s just way too weird and… stealthy.

 

She turns to the taller girl when the latter snorts while looking away.

 

Nayeon watches how Jungyeon’s short locks tangle and untangle together under the light spring breeze, and how the sun emphasizes their rich brown color. It’s pretty, not very common for koreans to have this hair color.

 

Coughing in her hand, she readjusts her round glasses on her nose and looks back to the library. Now they’re both walking, just as slowly as before, and Nayeon doesn’t really feel small anymore.

 

“Only when I get scared.” She tries to sound carefree.

 

“Hm?”

 

“I get clumsy when I get scared.”

 

“Well, I did want to scare you.” Jungyeon not so guiltily admits and Nayeon incredulously scoffs.


“Rude,” She mutters and Jungyeon shrugs.

 

The taller girl doesn’t have any trouble catching up when Nayeon decides to fasten up her pace and a nerve nearly pops out on the black haired girl's forehead. If Jungyeon wanted to annoy her, she was doing just fine. However, Nayeon values first impressions, so she zips shut and goes on with her steps.

 

She reaches the library and yanks the door open, startling the librarian standing right at the entrance. The latter jerks away from the door just in time to glare at her through her spectacles, eyeing Nayeon warily.

 

“Ah-- Sorry!”

 

Just then, Jungyeon steps in and devances her into the building, sending her a smirk above her shoulder. Nayeon’s starting to think she shouldn’t have agreed to tutoring the girl in the first place.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Notes: So here's chapter 2, i'd love to hear your thoughts about it! otherwise i don't really see the point of this whole mess lmao

I apologize for the ty english, of course, it isn't my first language and i just try (maybe not enough, who knows)

i'll just post the 3rd chapter right now i guess, since i have it all badly written already