Studying, flirting, same thing

Passing Grade

Nayeon tries not to look to invested in whatever discussion Jungyeon is having with the librarian. Situation is, they finally went to sit down, Nayeon was settling the books, and Jungyeon stood up after a “Just a sec”, which lead to her going to see the librarian for X reasons, and ending up talking with her for more than - Nayeon checks her phone - 15 minutes already.

 

Oh, did she say talking? She meant flirting.

 

Now, it wouldn’t annoy Nayeon so much if she wouldn’t be sitting there and missing her favorite drama of all time while Yoo Jungyeon there tried to get it on with the librarian. Not the old, wrinkly one. The college student one.  

 

From the corner of her eyes, she notices how Jungyeon hunches over the counter and stare down in the librarian’s eyes.

 

Anger fires up in her veins.

 

She wants to scream. This girl is making her waste her time here instead of studying. Plus, she could always come back anytime to flirt, she doesn’t have to do it now. It’s not like the library would close any time soon.

 

“Jungyeon!” She hisses, harshly, attracting a few looks from other dedicated students who actually come to this dust and spider web filled place to study. She’s not used to talk like this to mere acquaintances, but Jungyeon is really pushing the wrong buttons.

 

Said girl turns around and gives her a look that rhymes with ‘What are you doing, I’m busy.’ and Nayeon stares at her face, hard, ready to bore holes into it with her own two eyes.

 

How ironic is it that the girl, the one who really needs help, is shrugging her off for some flirtatious conversation with an older woman who she can come flirt with any ing other time of the week.

 

Nayeon stands up.

 

She marches her way to Jungyeon, who progressively seems to sense that something is wrong. She turns around just in time to see Nayeon extend her hand to her arm, wrapping her fingers around her wrist and tugging at it ever not so lightly.

 

“Excuse me,” She locks eyes with the librarian. “We need to go study.”

 

There’s a weird exchange of looks between the taller girl and the bibliothecaire, but Jungyeon shrugs and follows Nayeon anyways.

 

“What?”

 

“Listen, I’m already wasting my time, let’s just get this done with so I can go home.”

 

Jungyeon scoffs behind her.

 

She opts for ignorance, she really doesn’t like conflicts; and when she sits down, the short haired girl gives her a half-intended glare. Not that Nayeon realizes it’s half-intended, it’s already a bit too much for her to handle.

“Look, I’m sorry I stopped you from your… flirting here--”

“Flirting?”

“ --But! I’d like it if we could start this thing and maybe make it work a little? Or at least try.”

 

Nayeon wide eyed stares at Jungyeon. There’s a weird glint that settles in Jungyeon’s eyes as soon as she finishes her sentence. The latter sits down and puts her chin in the crook of her palm, eyes not leaving Nayeon’s face.
 

“Sure, we can make it work” She smirks.

 

Nayeon blinks furiously at the words, and senses a heavy blush settling on her pale cheeks.
There it goes, the uneasy feeling. She feels small again.

 

There’s an incredible amount of second hand embarassment creeping up her neck and Nayeon burries her nose in the books, avoiding Jungyeon’s gaze at all cost.

 

“A- Anyways.” She catches the tug on the other girl’s lips. “Let’s get started.”
 

Jungyeon starts looking elsewhere and she takes this time to check her buzzing phone. It’s a message for ‘Thomas the Train’ -- Jihyo -- who’s telling her about how the drama started. She looks up, eyes falling on Jungyeon making a face at the books sprawled on the table.

 

Nayeon wants to cry.

 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

“Did you bring your student record?” The older girl friendly asks and Jungyeon’s face lights up in realization. The short haired girl stops flipping through the pages to rummage in her bag. After a second, and a whole lot of confusion from Nayeon (what exactly does she keep in her bag to rummage this hard), and takes out a… messily folded piece of paper.

 

“Here,”

“Thanks.”

 

Nayeon unflods it, unconsciously passing a hand over the folds to smooth them out.  

 

There’s everything the older girl needs to know about Jungyeon. At least the Jungyeon from school. Eyes skipping through each subject, in fact she understands the urgency of the whole thing. Most of her grades are below passing.

 

“Alright,” She doesn’t know how to deal with that. “Which subject would you like to study first?” She asks the silently waiting girl, who opens and looks up the ceiling in reflexion.

 

“Economy.”

 

“Sure!” Nayeon smiles. She throws one last glance at the said subject. Oh… yeah, now she gets why the principal looked so urged.

 

“We’ll focus on studying for finals, okay? We’ll make sure you understand everything.” Nayeon beams but Jungyeon silently looks away.

 

“They’re in a while,” She mutters, not with the usual same amount of confidence in her voice.

 

Nayeon quirks up an eyebrow, watching how the taller girl throws a glance out the window. She can’t help but wonder, is she worried?

 

“Are you worried?” It rolls of her tongue, just like that, and Jungyeon jerks her head back at her.  

 

“No.” She answers almost too immediatly while running a hand through her short locks and Nayeon stops herself from frowning in concern.

 

“Okay, uh, let’s just…”

 

She takes the book, but halts in her gesture when she sees Jungyeon remains unmoving.

Fiddling with the book’s cover, she looks in the younger girl’s eyes again.

 

“You should take out your lessons,”

 

That seemingly makes Jungyeon laugh, or maybe just grin. Nayeon doesn’t know to which degree the short haired girl’s face can express emotions, as it’s always very still.

 

“I brought a copybook, and a pen -- here,” She rises the thing up to Nayeon’s eyes. “ -- to take notes of what you’ll let out from your red lips today.” Jungyeon carelessly hums, perching her chin on her palm. It suddenly makes Nayeon all too self conscious about the lipstick she applied earlier. Is it too visible?

 

“It’s nice, don’t worry.”

 

Okay, either she has to tutor a mind reader or the principal really had a reason to get rid of her this fast. And on top of all, she has mad flirting skills. Nayeon feels her ears heat up.

 

, this is going to be hard.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

“So, how was it?”

 

Nayeon beckons for Jihyo to come closer to her, shuffling to the edge of her chair.

 

After quite an emotionally eventful week-end consisting of Jihyo filling her in with the episode she missed, (“What? I missed all of that in just one epis-- WHAT DO YOU MEAN HE KISSED HER?”) now she’s back in school with her friends and everything is back to normal. However, here’s just one thing that changed.

 

She can feel Jungyeon’s presence. It just… there’s this thing in her stomach when Jungyeon happens to cross gazes with her. It’s not new, really, she settled that since long, for they have been in the same class last year too. But oddly, it strikes her a lot more now.

 

Currently, the latter is not in the classroom. Nayeon saw her leave the place curtly after the bell rung, and suddenly she can't help but wonder where she went. She never saw Jungyeon hang out with anyone in the class, except maybe Minyoung, but that was it and--

 

Jihyo snaps her fingers in front of her two eyes and Nayeon goes back from the clouds.

 

“So?”

 

“Ah, right,” In a hushed whisper, she lets out warily. “She was flirting with the librarian for like, half of the first hour.” Nayeon doesn’t want anyone outside them to hear. However, Jihyo isn’t graced with the capacity of keeping her voice low.

 

“The librarian?!”

In a second, their friend, Jackson, and his clique all turn to them curiously. Great. Trust Jihyo with silent discussions.  

 

Nayeon hits Jihyo on the shoulder as the latter gets a little too wide-eyed at the news. Really, it’s nothing big. It’s just that… well, Jungyeon is Jungyeon and… the librarian is slightly older than them and… they’re both women.

 

A knot forms in her lower stomach.

 

In Nayeon’s memory, it seemed that the two seemed familiar with each other; which made her wonder whether Jungyeon goes to the library often.

 

Plus, the place is known for overflowing with smarty pants, if Nayeon might say.

 

So yeah, Jungyeon plus library equals error.

 

“Yeah,” She whispers, unconsciously throwing a look at where the girl is supposed to sit.

 

“Nabongs,”

 

“Hm?” She turns to Jihyo, smiling her way to the girl in front of her.

 

Jihyo watches her with eyes she learned to call “analysis on load” and she blinks cutely in hopes to make Jihyo forget about anything she is thinking about.

 

“What?” She asks, but Jihyo stays mums about it, before drifting back to the drama.

 

“Anyways! Listen, when he reached to kiss her, he grabbed her wrist and--”

 

And Nayeon forgets all about Jungyeon in a squeal.

 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

“Okay but, what the is an Kondratieff wave,” Jihyo wonders out loud in front of her, lazily flipping through the pages of her copybook.

Nayeon sits back down on the ground after picking up the book from her bag, crossing her legs under the small table.

 

She loves studying in Jihyo’s bedroom, it’s all neat and cozy, which is the polar opposite of her bedroom (Nayeon has never been the organized type) and sometimes she wonders if she could just come live here.

The coziness of it all prevents her from studying properly, but that’s partly why she loves it to begin with.

 

Nayeon tries to think of an answer as she opens the lesson up, mindlessly rushing through pages and pages of lesson.

 

“Chapter 4...”

 

They’re studying for the economy test scheduled tomorrow. Weirdly enough, Nayeon had been trying to focus for the past half of the hour, but she just can’t. Words flash by her eyes but do not enter her memory card.

 

“It’s the long economic cycle, the… the 50 years old one.” Her eyes fall on the definition part.

 

The period of a wave ranges from forty to sixty years,” She instructs, and Jihyo nods mindlessly. “Consists of alternating intervals between high sectoral growth and intervals of relatively slow growth.” Nayeon reads it aloud for her bestfriend, not really taking any of it in.

 

Suddenly she’s glad she had the study session last Friday. They went through this exact chapter, how useful is that?

She remembers how Jungyeon kept groaning at each new notion that needed to be learned, and how she asked for a break ten minutes in the studying.

 

Jungyeon’s in her class, of course she has the test too.

 

Now that she thinks about it, Jungyeon has always been quite the mystery for Nayeon. Really, even last year, Nayeon found herself noticing the taller girl over anybody in their classroom, despite having never talked to each other-- well, barely anyways.

 

And now, it’s getting worse.

 

She feels her eyelids get heavy, a yawn manages to slip from her lips.

 

“Okay,” She hears Jihyo say by her side, more to herself. It sounds distant, the dim lightning of Jihyo’s bedroom slowly lulling her to sleep. It’s no secret, studying makes everyone sleepy.

 

And Nayeon is no exception.

 

Sliding her arms on the table, she rests her head on her hands and closes her eyes.

 

“I’m sleepy…”

 

Jihyo hums, telling her to do just that. Nayeon stops bothering the younger girl any longer.

 

She’s comfortable right now. It’s calm. The only thing she hears is Jihyo’s breathing along with occasional scribbles on paper, and her own breathing eventually start to even out.

 

So she lets her mind wander on it’s own.

 

This economy chapter is quite long, and complex; she thinks. She’s glad she took the opportunity to study at the same time as Jungyeon during the session last week. She knows everything she needs to know, which is perfect. She can laze around while Jihyo carries on studying.

 

It might not be that bad, these Friday afternoons with Jungyeon.

 

… Jungyeon.

 

Nayeon thinks of what Jungyeon could be doing right now. It’s the middle of the evening, nearly 8pm, so the girl probably isn’t studying. Would she be outside at this time? The sun’s slightly setting.

 

Nayeon shifts to find a more comfortable position.

 

The taller girl better ace the exam tomorrow, she thinks. She didn’t spend three hours knocking some economy notions into the girl’s brain just to have her fail the exam.

 

Yeah, Nayeon’s good at tutoring. Hopefully, she’ll get a passing grade.

Wait, why is she worrying about Jungyeon’s grades? She should be worried about her own.

Nayeon sits up and tries to catch up with Jihyo on the chapter.

 

Hm.


She’s just tired.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Notes: I don't really know where to stop each chapter as I wrote the whole thing without properly anticipating it's segmentation lmao so I apologize if it looks messy

I would love to see what you think about it, I'm kind of rushing the beginning (to describe how fast one can catch feelings?) because there is more stuff coming ahead.