Chapter Eighteen

Rush 。 A Plan A Entertainment Survival Show 。 Episode Seven AIRED! Two Eliminations Left!

now playing
aoa 10 seconds

✩ TSUKI: Jinki (Onew) needs his ty puns guys. He does. And has to quietly shade Minji while acting all cute, of course. Tsuki needs all the drama in her life~~ I, uh, had some fun with this chapter that I shouldn't have. Whoops. And took too long. To be fair, it's over 4,000 words, you know? So. It's okay to take a few extra hours-- It's very sad to see Stacy leave...We're very close to the end!

 

✩ MIN: I sent forty-something messages and she didn't reply so no A/N for Min~~

EPISODE SIx

Part three

"Hello everyone!" Instead of waving at the camera, she waved at the crowd with a sensual smile, and they roared. She nearly laughed but instead swung towards the camera, "Today, we have quite a few fun events. One, solos. Two, a dance performance and a vocal performance. Three, some very special guest judges! Please give a very warm welcome to SHINee's Onew, Seventeen's S.coups, Mingyu and Joshua, EXO's Lay and Sehun, NTC's Mark, and finally, Monsta X's Hyungwon!"

If the audience wasn't loud already, they certainly were now, the screams nearly deafening. Minji winced and gave a fake pout, whining,

"Why aren't you that loud for me?" That was a mistake. Too loud, "Alright, alright calm down! Judges, please introduce yourselves to everyone, though I feel not only the crowd but the contestants know you fairly."

"Annyeonghaseyo, I'm SHINee's Dubu Leader Onew~" He smiled at the camera cutely, and essentially the whole of the females began to die of cuteness with various shouts and the like. Suji covered her face, she definitely wasn't ready for this.

"Hello, I'm Leader S.Coups!"

"Hello there, I'm the Gentleman Joshua~"

"And I'm Capable Mingyu!"

"Annyeonghaseyo, I'm Flowerboy Hyungwon~"

"Hana, deul, set- Annyeonghaseyo We're Lay-"

"And Sehun-"

"Of EXO!"

"And I'm Mark of NTC-Dream~"

"So, let's begin this week's judge vote! We'll be doing our individual performances first in a randomized order. After, you can have your last plead to the judges with a dance performance by some and a vocal performance by others. Mr. Leader S.Coups, could you please call the first contestant up?" She leaned over his shoulder to look at his cue card. He cleared his throat.

"Lily, please prepare for your stage!" She bowed.

"This is Mystery, please enjoy."

"Thank your for your performance, Lily," Onew began, "I'd like to start with your dancing. Your lower half seemed very professional and into the song. However, the top was much less...Captivating. Your whole body wasn't into the performance which is expected of a dancer of your caliber. However, your vocals were pleasantly surprising for not being a vocalist, so I will give your credit in that respect."

"I fully agree with Onew-ssi. While your dancing is normally beyong captivating, this time it was lacking," Minji sighed, "I don't know if you're trying to wait and surprise us with the group dance performance, but you need to show your best all the time, especially during a solo. Work harder to show your talent.

"Oh, Lily, before anything, I wanted to ask you about your rap," Mark spoke assertively, "I understand that your main focus isn't rap but you still chose to add it into your solo song."

"Yes I did, sunbae," Lily nodded, "I wanted to show my talent in all areas in this, which is why some parts of my performance may not be as focused on as others."

"No need to justify yourself~ I just want to say if you're going to be rapping, you need to focus on doing well. You had four great rappers in this competition, and then you. Now there's two- They're still better than you, Lily. You should focus where you're talented and then try to supplemet what you're not good at. Thank you, you can take your seat. Seul, please come up!"

"This was a great song choice, Seul," Minji complimented, "While you're not a very strong vocalist, you were still able to pull off this kind of solo. I assumed it would be hard for you as three dancers collabed for your first optional solo, but you did well. It fits your voice well and the song was well executed. Thank you."

"Wow Seul, you did really well~" Hyungwon smiled, "This was certainly a good performance. While you didn't show your talent in dancing, the fact that you worked so hard to deliver these kinds of vocals is great! It definitely shows and your expression fit the sullen feeling of being "forever alone" and looking for love. For being so young, your voice is very enjoyable to listen to. I was pleasantly surprised, so please keep up the good work! Thank you so much. Seoyun, if you could?"

"Let me keep this short. Your vocals are what saves you in this kind of performance, but it’s refreshing to see, so thank you," Minji gestured for the others to continue. Lay spoke.

"Hello Seoyun, I want to thank you for the delightful performance," They shared a small smiled- Some brows raised in the audience, "As always, your vocals are fantastic. Your really showed your vocal prowess, but at the same time, I questioned your confidence. In the beginning, while your presence was there and impressive, if we looked into your eyes, you seemed very afraid that you were going to mess up. You can't do that, though as you continued you clearly let it go and got into the performance more, you can't show your nerves. The fans will feel it and the performance quality will lower. But it was a wonderful song. Thanks!"

"Aigoo, I was very surprised to see such vocals in this competition!" Onew nodded at his own words, "The song really fit you despite your normally cheery disposition- I guess people say the same about me?"

"Wow, we should do a duet!" She looked up with childish eyes. The crowd gasped at her straightforward words but Onew smiled.

"No thanks, two of us isn't enough. I only sing alpacapella!" He raised a brow, waiting for the laughter. There was very few chuckles, "Um, anyway, your performance. I definitely agree with what Lay said- You were nervous. You need to own your beautiful voice. You're as talented as many idols, though I wish you had less backup dancers and more you. However, that's a common style for many vocally-based soloists and I can appreciate the concept. The lyrics were catchy and I really enjoyed it. Thank you! Taeha, please prepare~"

"I'll start off this time!" Mingyu announced, "Your vocals are nice, but I would like to see some...Dance. Something to make your stage more exciting. While I understand it's more of a feeling song, a performance would make it pretty much stunning. It was close to perfect there in my mind! But some more charisma and performing instead of just singing could have been there. Thanks!"

"Thank you for your performance. It was simple," Minji continued, tapping at her cheek as she thought, "Your voice suits the song, but it doesn’t show diversity to your talent. I think that your vocals are unique but you didn't show it today, so it was certainly a shame."

"I want to disagree with them, actually," Once again, Onew spoke. Apparently being the sunbae to everyone did that to you, "That simplicity suited everything about your performace. Just sitting their and singing truly accentuated your voice- Everyone was thinking of that only, and to me that was a great advantage. Sure, you've show more vocal diversity, but sometimes it's good to stay solid with what you know if you're unsure how to do a stage alone. Unlike your last solo, ha, in the first episode- Get it, first, last? Um, anyway...This was a more professional setting and you really owned it. I really felt like you owned- Onew, owned, haha- This performance Taeha! Thanks so much, I might have to download the song actually, when it releases."

"O-oh, ohmygosh, thank you sunbae!" She bowed deeply, looking back at the other girls with a thrilled expression. He simply waved his hand.

"It's too good to just pass off. Thank you again~ Minyoung, you'll be next," He nodded at the blonde.

Q. How did you feel when the sunbae in the room said he would download the recorded version of your song?

"It was the best feeling in the world," The vocalist wiped at her eyes a bit, trying to keep her makeup in tact, "It was really, just, I couldn't believe it. I hope he really does do it! And shows everyone for that matter."

"Minyoung, if you're not getting an MV, you need to be good at everything," Minji shook her head, "I like your stage presence but your rapping is by far superior. You have to work on your dancing and your singing or you’ll only get so far in this industry. And it’s just not enough. Do you want to leave? Do you want us to vote you out? It felt like it. You made it feel like it was a charity performance, not a solo. It fit your young age but not your abilities- I was under the impression that you were a better dancer than that. Hope the solo shows it."

"Your rapping was good," Sehun's expression was tightened in a way, glancing at Minji, "However, the rest of your performance was lacking." Who else can hear Minyoung's soul being slowly crushed as she eyed her composer, Jungmin, who was sitting in the crowd and had "advised" her to perform the way she did?

"Anyway, you could definitely improve on the other parts. Rapping isn't the only thing to do you know? It's good if you're great at it, but often rappers are often lacking in other areas. Don't be one of them," Sehun finished. Yeah, Minyoung was openly glaring at Jungmin now, who tried to meld into the crowd as much as possible. Onew decided it was time to interject cheerily,

"I love your performance! It was nice how you interacted with the crowd. If you can incorporate them into a song, they always feel more appreciated, and fans are how you survive in the industry. Without them, none of us judges seated here tonight would be here. It was like a form of fanchants, but instead of being lead by a fansite owner or the like, it was lead by you. It's more special that way. I felt like you wanted to get to know me, and play with me, so that's always positive for an idol. Thank you. Bonnie is next, please get yourself ready~"

"It’s a very impressive choreography, Bonnie. But you really have to make sure you don’t disappear in all the things going on at the stage," Bonnie nodded along with Minji's words, following along carefully, 'We need to be able to focus on you. If you can’t stand alone, then your performance is too weak. I will say, though, that you did great. The8's surprise appearance was enjoyable and you did a wonderful partner dance. Thank you."

"Another dancer," Joshua noted yet didn't look her in the eye, "As always it was a killer performance with you. I was surprised at how well you sang here, you have improved since you started this show. Seeing The8 as your dance partner, was definitely a surprise- I certainly wasn't told. But you did very well. This suited your style better than expected with the softness of it, and all of your backup dancers were good. Sometimes though, it felt like it was more about them than you though. Minji-ssi is right, don't get lost, alright? Thanks."

Onew studied her briefly, "Well, that was fantastic. The couple dance was a mix of and just plain cool, so it was a great addition. It's easy to tell you're not a storng vocalist, and that's okay. Not everyone can be, and not everyone should be. Bonnie, your stage presence was fantastic to me, and I could tell you wanted to be there by your eyes. Some performers focus on looking the part while performing instead of feeling it, but you felt it. I could tell how much you sincerely loved to dance, even now it's resonating in the room. Anyone would be a fool to vote you out, you know~ Keep doing what your doing, and steadily improve yourself. You're going on the right road. Stacy can come on up, please get ready for your stage!"

"I don’t really know what to say. Your performance is lacking. The vocal is lacking, the dancing is overshadowed by your back-up dancers and the choreography is simple. I wasn't expecting Kyungil to be down there- Is that why you couldn't come today? Anyway, step up," Minji shook her head in distate, drinking her water and staying silent after. The other judges shared a look, and finally, Onew decided he would simply take up from there.

"Hello Stacy!" She bowed with a nervous gulp. This...Wasn't going the way it was supposed to. At all, "So, I liked the color of your performance. It had a very unique y tone to it, and it was much different from everything else we've seen. You used what you had to make it work- Not everyone can be the best in their band, like I said to Seul. It's better to show a variety of talents, that's what makes a band or idol group, a good band or idol group. Your voice wasn't stable and you relied on backtrack too much, I have to admit. You need to watch out. Your dance suited you well, but I believe there could have been a better song for you. I think if you work harder and try different concepts you'll shine more. Thank you so much! Suji will perform next."

"You sound out of breath. Why did you choose this song? You, too, need to step up if you want to continu-"

"With all due respect, Minji-ssi is wrong," Onew interrupted before she could finish. The crowd "Ooh-ed" and Minji stared at him in shock. Seoyun and Minyoung had a hard time to not burst out in laughter, and Suji slapped a hand over and turned towards the others, eyes wide.

"Oh my god..." Lily breathed, "That's...Oh my God."

"This is clearly a particular style of rap. It fits the songs and the lyrics perfectly, and it shows the type of concept you were going for. While you could have worked on your stage presence and charisma, it's very clear that worked hard to get yourself to this spot. You accepted the criticism you recieved and you didn't complain, you turned it into something useful instead of some of the other contestants. You've improved a lot and your performance was very enjoyable, thank you," He gave his cutest smile and looked around at the silent room, "Hm? Did I say something wrong?"

"Of course not, sunbae," S.Coups shook his head, "Suji, you have shown a lot of growth through this performance- Not only in your rapping, but I feel like in your personal life as well. I actually think you spoke a lot of things you've wanted to say for a long time. I don't know what struggles you've gone through, but this performance gave me the feeling of something empty being slowly filled. I think a lot of this song went past just this competition, past your love life whatever it may be, and delved into something so personal I don't know if we'll ever truly get to see it. That emotion felt very real. That being said, the lack of dancing was disappointing and you could have been more creative. Overall, it was enjoyable. Thank you! Daily is next."

"That was a very unique performance, Daily," Hyungwon smiled, "It was absolutely different from the others. Your unique voice was truly highlighted and your styling reminded me of a black cat. Your charisma was that of a seasoned idol. It really matched with the lyrics and I felt like you were slyly trying to steal my heart- It think it worked! Your choreography was pretty great despite the fact that you aren't really a dancer and you executed it perfectly. I think that whoever helped you out with this song and performance knew what they were doing- Just like you. This was fantastic, the best of the night so far if you want me to be honest."

"I have to agree with this being fantastic!" The biggest sunbae spoke again. Wow. Onew never stops, "I was worried about your amount of backup dancers, to be honest. Most of the time, when you have so many, you tend to drown, you become lost and they're the focus. But you came out of top out of all of them. You owned your performance tonight, you should be proud. You had the whole audience in the palm of your hand. Thanks so much. Phoenix, please round out the solo performances!"

"Thank you for a calm performance. Your voice is beautiful here," Minji spoke in a monotone. She was still kind of miffed with Onew and Daily had clearly stolen the day. She didn't feel the need to add anything else. It was beautiful, what else did she need to hear?

"I feel like you cut off your own voice at points," Joshua confessed, "But overall it didn't take away from your performance. It was ethereal and stunning. The setting, your styling, your voice, it's almost like you were made to sing this song. Everything about it is perfect. I loved the emotion in your expression, it was painfully beautiful. I can't think of one particularly negative thing to say. It's clear you're an emotional singer, Phoenix. That's a double-edged sword, but I believe that you can wield it well. This performance proves that. Keep up the great work, I'm confident that you can debut again. Keep your head up- You're just as good as everyone else. Thank you so much for this performance."

Q. Joshua sunbae said you need to keep your head up, to show confidence really. How did you feel?

Phoenix gave a weakened smile, "It gave me strength. It's not always easy to believe in yourself. Thank you, sunbae. I'll always hold those words close to my heart."

The girls had changed into their group performance outfits- Dancers wore black and white, y clothing with the vocalist each wore a brightly colored suit. Minji was sitting on the edge of the judge's table again. She smirked, flipping her hair back with a grin, "Alright girls. Last plea to the judges before we eliminate a contestant. The Dance Team will perform first! Please take your spots on stage girls!"


(00:18 left to right- Bonnie, Stacy
00:19 left to right- Lily, Minyoung
00:21 left to right- Taeha, Seul)

The crowd was roaring, deeper male voices much more prominent but higher female tones definitely distinguishable. The dancers were breathing harshly, and stayed in position for a while longer before spreading out to form a line in front of the judges table. The vocalists were whispering amongst themselves, obviously very impressed. The dancers waiting anxiously for a judge to speak up.

"So. That was definitely the best dancing I've seen this whole competition," Minji confessed, nodding, "It may be this that saved some of you, so good work. Starting with Bonnie. Overall, you were satisfactory. You really showed off you body in a y but respectful way. You didn't try too hard, I liked that. Minyoung, you were a fairly good dancer. Your solo was good. Nothing spectacular. You definitely reminded me of a dancer in the clod, you had the best hip movements. Taeha, honey, you surprised me. Who knew you could dance so well? Your footwork was the best. Stacy, you were...Cute. But you were just there. You could have done better. For Seul, you were impressive- Smooth and quick. Good work. Lily, your chest popping was the best, but you could have worked on your arm and shoulder moves- They were a little stiff. Your hips were pretty good, though. Thanks!"

"Seul," Lay started, "This isn't your style of dance, but you showed you could be powerful. Your stage rpesence was there and your movements were very fluid. You had the right gaze as well, good job. Lily, you normally do amazing, however here you didn't really stand out. You seemed to let the others shine. Onto you, Bonnie, this again normally isn't your stlye of dance but you did really well. You showcased a lot of power that I didn't know you have in you. I didn't know you could dance so nicely, Taeha, you blended in with the background but compared to the other episdoes you seriously stepped up your game. Stacy, you seemed a bit awkward. Like it wasn't your style of dance. You tried hard but you seemed pertty stiff- It's not your strong point. But I do give your props for improvement. Minyoung, you stood out. You and Bonnie had the best solos. Your other performance lacked a lot, but this made up for some of it. Thanks girls, vocalists, please prepare for your next stage!"


(Seoyun- Solar (Yellow)
Suji- Moonbyul (White)
Daily- Wheein (Blue)
Phoenix- Hwasa (Red)

"I'm in love with this song," Minji admitted cooly, "Suji, though you didn't really get many solo lines other than your rapping- Which I agree was good this time- You carried the chorus. In fact, you carried the whole background nearly all on your own. It truly left like you were the glue in this performance, and that's a very important thing. You tied it all together and killed your rap. Seoyun, your vocals. They're were killer and interwined with everyone's beautifully. I know this was really supposed to be a vocal unit, but you. You shone beautifully and had good energy. You were y but not forced- Not forced it the best. Daily, hell girl, I had no idea you could sing like that. You've been hiding vocals up in there, haven't you? You finished off the performance perfectly. I'm proud of you- A wonderful voice and your pronunciation is seriously getting there. Phoenix, your voice was surprisingly husky and beautiful. It had a different quality than your other performances, and I liked that. You were able to contribute enough to make Suji sound flawless. I love this performance. Thank you ladies! I appreciate it."

"Before anything else, I want to comment on the group," Onew looked at each of them individually, then at the notes he's taken down, "I loved your harmonies. Those were beautiful- Stunning, actually. That, and your group energy. Every single one of you was into this performance, and it's obvious. You love singing, and we felt it. That was amazing. So let's start with Phoenix- Your facial attitude, it was perfect. You were a bit breathy, but it fit well with Suji's voice. You two fit together really well. You were pretty great. Daily, your movements were a bit stiff, I have to admit. But your vocals were nice! The stiffness mostly was in your feet, so focus on that a bit more. Your high notes were very impressive. Seoyun, you were cute, and you had nice singing. You were really into with with your whole body, it was childish and endearing but your natural sensuality and good hip movements balanced it out. Suji, you were really sensual. Your body movements were great and it makes me wonder why you never trained as a dancer specifically. Your rap was smooth and pleasing to the ears. You all did awesome. Thank you!"

Everyone looked to Mingyu, who shrugged.

"I was going to speak, but my sunbaenim took all the words right out of my mouth!'

"Alright then, everyone. Allow us to deliberate, we'll be back~" Minji strode out of the room, the others following. The energy awas tense, girls whispering to each other and the audience getting louder and louder. A long time passed, and finally the judges came back.

"You were all amazing today," Onew started, sighing, "But someone had to leave. It was a tough choice. It would be nice if you could all make the cut-"

"But that's now how it is," Minji interrupted with a grin, "Stacy, you're out."

The suddenness of it shocked everyone. Stacy simply accepted a mic from Bonnie and bowed deeply, "Thank you for allowing me to stick around for so long. I'll show a better self the next time around."

Q. Only two more contestants will be voted out after you.

Stacy nodded, "I was close. I'm very happy about that. I got much farther than I thought I would!"

Q. So now what are your plans?

"I, uh, I need to go back to college. I made a promise so...Tihs is it, the end of the road for me," She smiled and looked at the camera with eyes full of tears, "Sorry for disappointing you like this."

Q. Thank you for being here, Songeun.

"Thank you! This has been the Rising Star Stacy!"


「MINTLEAF DESIGNS」