[Chapter 4] Janus

DOUBLE TROUBLE

          Taehyung-ah, what’s with the frown ? I told you not to frown.

 

          Forever never existed. Forever should never be defined. Forever was a lie.

 

          My Taetae should not frown like that, hm ? Promise me, however hard your time is, you’ll always smile and be grateful of what you got today.

 

          There’s no point in saying forever. Vow was just earthy formality. Humans are mortal, they eventually fell to the hereafter and left us, the ones that still lasted.

 

          Kim Taehyung, do you take Jin Hyosang to be your husband? Do you promise to be true to him in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health, to love him and honor him all the days of your life ?

 

          I do.

 

          Taehyung opened his eyes, letting the light slip in through his eyelids. He was immediately greeted by his messy workstation filled with papers here and there, opened folders, the stationery was scattered and various colors of memo pads were glued on his monitor and panel. His monitor dimmed, indicating that Taehyung had left it unused pretty long.

          He turned to his right, where a dart board was hung on the wall, five meters from his spot, with a photo of butterfly tattoo pinned to it, covering the bull's eye. There were pinholes in random spots, but mostly gathered around the center.

          Taehyung reached out for the one last dart from his desk, eyes never leaving the photo. His grip on the shaft hardened as he sprung his anger and despair to the yellow thing with a pair of flight and a point on the other edge.

          Taebaby, can you… just for today… come home early ? I-I will cook you your favorite food, hm ?

          Taehyung closed his eyes, trying to dissolve the sound of camera flashes, reporters and an ambulance's siren around him. They were like a colony of bees, buzzing noisily around him and disturbing him until he begged for mercy. And, the confined room doubled their volume until he barely heard his own voice.

          It was the butterfly. Those sounds came from the butterfly. The butterfly was always like that, each time he had a staring combat with the photo, as if mocking Taehyung for being Taehyung,

 

          He needed to shut him up with it, the sharp thing inside his grip.

 

          Time walked slower when the dart ripped the air, driving forth to the center of the dartboard and going through the thin paper, injecting the detective's wrath to the black butterfly.

          His wrath did end.

 

          But, it was just never enough.

 

 

          "Captain Min !" The chief -Namjoon- called the platinum haired from his door, gaining some attention from other employees, especially the strawberry haired man who was sitting like a boss with legs resting on the desk. "Come to my room." The said captain immediately stood up and saluted before walking to the chief's room.

          "S’up?" Yoongi said casually once the door was closed, ditching the formality he wore back in the office room. Namjoon clicked his tongue at the word, between not wanting and wanting it. It'd been long since they talked informally like that in the office, defying the norms.

          "Where's the formality, Min ?"

          "Take it off, Kim. We are best friends for god knows how long." Yoongi rolled his eyes while sitting on the desk, on Namjoon's desk. On the chief's desk to be exact.

          "Get your off."

          "File." Yoongi extended his hand, signaling the chief to hand the folder, meaning a new case for his team to handle, with a simple movement of his fingers. Namjoon sighed, knowing he would never win against Yoongi because the grandpa was sassy as under that ferocious feline façade of him. He took the utmost file lying on the desk tray behind Yoongi.

          "Here, I want you to handle this." Yoongi opened the document folder, scanning the report carefully while listening to Namjoon's explanation until the very end. The captain finally stated.

          "This means more salary, right ?"

          ", Min ?"

          "Nah, man. Not you."

          "Get out, you-" The chief rubbed his face once, annoyed. "Like really, is money the only thing you're thinking about all the time?" Namjoon spread his hands in what the hell manner.

          "I'm thinking about too, Kim Namjoon. ." Yoongi unglued his off the table to go back to his team when the door was slightly opened and a soft strawberry hair popped.

          "Did someone mention my favorite dinner menu ?"

 

          "Team 2, we have a new case. A missing person." Yoongi turned around to see the team, drawing his gaze to each member. In front of him, there's Siwan on the right side, who diligently scribbling 'missing person' on his note. And there’s Sehun, the maknae, on the opposite of Siwan, looking at him with his curious eyes since he didn’t want to miss any information. Next to Sehun, there was Krystal, an FBI trainee back in the states before she came back to South Korea, her motherland, and joined Gangnam homicide division. Even though skinny and girlish, Yoongi could really, really rely on her. He remembered clearly how Krystal caused his first nosebleed in his life and he was on the verge of crying if Taehyung’s voice didn’t slap him hard to stay cool. There’s Jonghyuk, the eldest, who had been working for hundred years in the division and now, he’s helping Team 2 to progress. And lastly, Kim Taehyung, who was busy clipping his fingernails while playing with the swivel-tilter armchair he’s sitting on.

          Yoongi only sighed at the sight. The childish man would always win even without uttering a single word because Taehyung was a man of action and Yoongi couldn’t deny that Taehyung was born adroit. So, it held him back from kicking the younger out of the team or scolding him for not listening. At the end, Taehyung would be the one leading him, so he could come “home” bringing the best present for Namjoon which was the criminal.

          "Okay, gang, the name is Lee Jongsuk. His roommate reported to police two days ago. Lee Jongsuk had been missing for.... six days. So, I figure out that he's been lost for four days and on the fifth day, his roommate reported his absence. He is a college student in K University and he lives in the dorm. Height, 186 centimeters, weight, 65 kilograms. Here's the photo." Yoongi clicked and the slideshow displayed an image of a cute looking young man with small eyes, pointy nose, and adorable Cupid's bow lips. He's rather cute with a tiny mole under his left eyes and probably received constant flower boy award in his school time.

          "He’s cute," Krystal commented, receiving a look from Yoongi.

          "Save your fangirl for later, Krys. Now, we gotta focus." The captain commented. "His roommate was Kim Woobin. He was the one reporting Jongsuk’s missing case to the police. Now, let's divide. Sehun and Krystal, you go to the university and find some good footage from the CCTV. Taehyung and Siwan hyung, you guys go to the dorms and check out Jongsuk's roommate. Jonghyuk hyung and I will try to track Jongsuk's card and phone records. Any questions?"

          Yoongi closed the file and once again drew his eyes to each member. No one was raising his hand so he nodded.

          "Now, move."

 

 

          Siwan had been knocking the room’s door for a good five minutes and no one seemed to bother answer as well. The man exhaled, frustrated, while placing his hand on his hips and stomping impatiently on the floor. He punched the door once with his fist, losing his cool. Taehyung was behind him, leaning back on the wall and just watching the latter’s slump back. He took out a cigarette and lit it. Then, he began and spreading nicotine particles to the air without really caring about the “non-smoking area” sign right next to him. The legit smell of burnt tobacco pricked Siwan’s nose as he turned around speedily, looking at Taehyung with wide eyes.

          “Taehyung, what are you doing?! Why are you so ironic, aish!” He pointed at the sign, hoping that the younger would feel guilty and put out the cigarette. But, Kim Taehyung was not Kim Taehyung, if there’s not at least one rule to defy.

          “How long have you been living in the city, hyung ?” said Taehyung after taking the coiled filtered tobacco away from his lips.

          “City?” Siwan knitted his eyebrows.

          “Yeah.”

          “What city are you talking about ?”

          “Idiocity.”

          Siwan rolled his eyes and looked away, not wanting to see the younger’s face unless he’d be the one entering the prison for murdering an officer. Meanwhile Taehyung had his boxy, victorious grin on his face when he saw Siwan running his hand on his jet black hair. Good thing that Siwan had known Taehyung since they were in police academy, so the urge to kill the younger was deducted automatically. The experience of facing Taehyung that was sassy, Taehyung that asked annoying questions, Taehyung that never listened to other people and loads of other extraordinary Taehyungs.

          “I’m not amused, Taehyung.”

          “I didn’t mean to amuse you, hyung.” Taehyung retorted with a serious face which provoked laughter from the older. “I was serious.” With the simple word, Siwan’s laughter died off.

          “Now, tell me what time is it ?”

          “Eleven forty-five.” Taehyung lifted his leg, so he could push the burning side of the cigarette onto the sole of his oxford shoe before dumping it into the bin.

          “Let’s just eat, hyung. I’m so hungry I could eat Dumbo.”

          With that, Taehyung dragged himself to the elevator, punching “down” button without giving a glance to the disbelieved Siwan. The older found it useless to yell at the other, so he, a bit angrily, followed Taehyung, acknowledging the other’s upgrade of sassiness to level infinite.

 

 

          The two ended up sitting in the canteen vis-à-vis, munching home run balls they just bought from the snack corner. They couldn’t eat the canteen’s food since they didn’t have a student card to buy the food. So, there they were, deserted and became spotlights of some girls and boys. Had nothing to be seen, Siwan’s eyes scanned the younger and realized something around Taehyung’s wrist.

          “Tae, you brought your watch. Why ask me when you can just- lift your hand and read the time by yourself ?”

          “Ugh, hyung. I hate you when your brain is in airplane mode.” Taehyung rolled his eyes.

          “What the hell ?”

          “I mocked you, okay ? I admit it. I was asking time, so you realized your mistake.” Siwan knitted his eyebrows, signaling Taehyung to continue albeit brutal honesty from the younger that he mocked the older.

          “Who the hell would be in the dorm at eleven forty-five?”

          “Delinquent or lazy asses. And, one of them might be Kim Woobin.” Siwan snapped.

          “Will they skip class just to lay on their bed, staring at the ceiling, contemplating life or meditating ? Hyung, kids nowadays prefer PC than Halli Galli !”

          “Then, he might be in the PC stall.”

          “Will it seduce the head of university’s magazine club, which was also the captain of the university’s soccer team and a gold medalist of 2016 National Physic Olympiad as much as average students ?” Siwan gaped his mouth at Taehyung’s fluent description. “So far, K University’s soccer team is still the best and the hardest opposition. Nationwide.”

          “How do you…?”

          “You really believed me? Nah, I’m just messing around.” Taehyung swayed his hand playfully and Siwan was really going to hit him in the head, in front of those students, if Taehyung didn’t continue with an irritated face, “It was on the information board, hyung.”

          “Yah, Kim Woobin is a goody two-shoes. He is in the article, rewarded as “The Most Sizzling Guy of July 2016”.” Taehyung made an imaginary rainbow with his hands, triggering a small smile from the older. “There’s no way he likes PC stall, hyung. His lecturer wrote that he is an excellent student who behaves really well too. He is just, wah…. perfect. He is in the class this whole time and he is outside the class just, just ! For the lunch. Moreover, the article says that he never missed his class except when he’s sick.” Taehyung finished with a gulp of chocolate milk and an assuring nod toward Siwan, which was retorted with the same gesture from the older.

          “So, how are you going to find this guy? In this canteen? Have you seen his face ?” Siwan looked around the room that got more crowded each minute, trying to find among unfamiliar faces, one that might be named Kim Woobin. He kept looking around until he heard a loud thud in front of him and his eyes saw the last thing that he expected to see, Taehyung’s hairy shins.

          “KIM WOOBIN !”

          Oh my god, Taehyung, no….. Not this way.

          “KIM WOOBIN, THE MOST SIZZLING GUY JULY 2016!” At this point, even a detective like Siwan wished the soil to open under his sole and swallowed him to the core, so he didn’t have to face the students. Siwan lowered his head uncomfortably, securing his head with both arms. He was certain that there would be laughter and mockery from the students, in no time.

          “TO THE OWNER OF THE IEST BRAIN IN PHYSIC OLYMPIAD, I WANT TO CHALLENGE YOUR INESS WITH MINE!” Instead, loud cheers erupted, far from Siwan’s expectation. Woo’s and loud whistles resonated by the wall, making the canteen more likely a stadium and World Cup that was just about to start.

          Siwan looked up to find Taehyung spreading his arms, pivoting to left and right where loud cheers emerged with a proud smile as if he was the champion or what. The older was deadpan, but couldn’t help to admire Taehyung’s exceeding people's skill and charm. How come people didn’t think he was just a mad alien from another dimension or simply an asylum escapee ? Taehyung was such gravity.

          Compliments started flooding, from “Oppa, you are so cute!”, “Hyung, why are you so handsome?”, until “LET’S GET MARRIED!”. The older, who now bravely lifted his head, pivoted to find someone that’s closer to Taehyung’s description when the cheer gradually died down. Heavy footsteps tread closer to them and Siwan’s eyes caught a tall figure, wearing a green-white-navy striped sweater and trousers behind him. The young man had a sharp jaw, amazingly broad chest, he was zaftig for real, and he slung his backpack on one shoulder. He had a strong aura, Taehyung could tell, but his sincere smile quite penetrated the impression.

          “Hello, I’m Kim Woobin.” He bowed before introducing himself softly.

          What the hell is with the face ?

          Can you feel the aura? Man, he is no kidding.

          But, his smile is so sincere and cute.

          Why do you always conclude with heart, Kim Taehyung? He is a suspect since the first time.

          Whatever, hyung. He is extremely handsome.

          “Are you..?” Taehyung confirmed. The lad nodded, still attaching smile on his face.

          “You don’t look like a physic Olympiad gold medalist even though you have strong aura, young man. You are rather a model, you know.” Taehyung attacked again, and the young man blushed at the compliment.

          “Hyung, I’m not good at taking compliments. I’m really Kim Woobin-“ He looked at his sides as if asking for support, so he could say it more comfortably. “The most… sizzling guy July 2016.” He looked away afterward to hide his shy smile, but that didn’t do much. Boy, even when he was shy, he still managed to look so manly. So, cheers were erupted one more time, caroling the man’s existence.

          Taehyung gaped at the humbleness. He thought Woobin was a straight boy the moment he saw the latter’s image on the bulletin. He thought, just because it was an article and public could see it, they chose not to mention it. Turns out he was just a boy next door with gifted face and brain. Siwan also couldn’t believe the young man’s reaction, so he stood up from his chair to see him clearly. Taehyung animated, he lifted his hands in surrending manner and smirked at Woobin.

          “Just testing you, boy. Your face is in the article, I already know.” He said. “I just want to break my impression.”

          “What are you testing me then?”

          “Wah, you are thousand times hotter in person. I lost,” said Taehyung casually, smirking again, meanwhile another, “Oppa, you are handsome too!” was voiced out loud from someone only God knew. He wanted to hug that person really bad except the fact that Siwan’s getting a bit impatient with his drama, so he saved it.

          As predicted, Siwan’s patience had worn thin. He quickly fished in his pocket, taking out his police identity card and fronting it toward Woobin’s face. The whole canteen gasped at the sight, simultaneously firing tell-tales one to another while pointing at uncomfortable Woobin.

          “Mine is Im Siwan. I’m a detective and I’m here to ask some questions about Lee Jongsuk-ssi.” Woobin perked at the mention of his roommate, eyes gleaming with slight hope. Meanwhile Taehyung who always disliked the idea of gossiping, started hollering.

          “Ya, ya, ya!!!” The commotion died off at the detective’s thunderous voice and stared timidly at him. “I admit you are all superior and you don’t need two days to solve simple algorithm to attend the hardest private university in Seoul. But, I don’t expect you to be so careless and individualistic,” Taehyung lectured, still standing on the table. “Now, continue your lunch and don’t gossip! If I hear just one word from you talking about this caring guy, I’ll take your identity card and buy the food in here for myself. Also, I dishonor ist, so don’t think you girls can get away with this. And, I’ll make sure the balance is deducted to zero immediately.” Taehyung bent his fingers, making a hollow to clear his statement; that sounded like a threat.

          Siwan nodded once before looking at the sophomore. “Kim Woobin-ssi, how about showing us your room and talk there? Facts coming from your mouth is our lead to further investigation, so make sure you let us know everything that you know. And, if you want to kill this person,” Siwan pointed at Taehyung with his thumb, “for embarrassing you in public, you can do it freely. I’ll bring it as a self-defense action in the courthouse.”

          “I hear that, hyung~”

          “That’s my intention, idiot.”

 

-Double Trouble-


Author's Note

IT'S TUESDAAAAAEEEEE EVERYONE

I'm still alive wow. And school does really start this is beyond my worst nightmare. Poop.

 

Forget this. Another update is up, I hope you enjoy this one ^^

I was to be honest disappointed as not much of you really gave me suggestions about the previous a/n. But I won't pay attention to it now since I update today. Just follow the game.

And ladies and gentleman ! I'm here to introduce you to the co-author iNeedU_BTS20 !!! She's been in aff for two years and that's much older than me. She's such a sweetheart for offering me helps and becoming a friend that makes me check on the world clock more frequently. Ugh, thank you girl *sobs in the corner

She will have her first update right after this so please be expected guys~

 

-Gie