The One with the Fire Alarm

I.N.F.I.N.I.T.E

I'm surprised I managed to keep this under 100 words. This one took me a while, but I still enjoyed writing it.


 

As one of the members with the least amount of individual activities, Sungjong often found himself all alone in the dorm. On one such night, with no one to talk to and nothing else to do, the maknae decided to go to bed early and get some much-needed rest. He had just settled down and was on the brink of sleep when a loud beep jolted him awake. Although he really wanted to go back to sleep, the beeping wouldn't stop, forcing Sungjong to investigate its source.

'Please don't be a spaceship, please don't be a spaceship,' he silently prayed as he stepped out of his bedroom; it wasn't a logical fear, but he wasn't really thinking straight just then. The sound, he realized, seemed to be coming from somewhere near the kitchen and he soon discovered it was emanating from a smoke detector high up on the wall. Heaving a relieved sigh, Sungjong pulled up a chair to reach the alarm to turn it off. He didn't see any kind of button or switch so he just pulled it from the wall. The noise finally stopped and the youngest sighed once again, tossing the device on a nearby table as he headed back to his room.

Sungjong had only taken a few steps when the obnoxious beeping started up again and he stood frozen in disbelief for a moment before he marched back over to the detector and pulled out the battery. Satisfied with his work, he started walking away, but stopped once again when a loud beep rang out.

"How could you be beeping?" The maknae asked, both confused and annoyed as he glared at the alarm. "I just disconnected you. I took out your battery. How could you—" A shrill beep cut him off and his annoyance quickly shifted to anger. "Don't interrupt me!"

Exhausted and fed up, Sungjong grabbed the detector and settled down on the couch, pulling the cover off the device in the hope that he could find a way to get the noise to stop. He didn't know much about technology, but it couldn't be that hard. As it turned out, it was— there were too many wires and the boy's sleep-deprived mind didn't know what to do with any of them. The best solution, he soon found, was to smash the whole thing with a nearby shoe; the beeping finally stopped and he got to release all his pent-up frustration.

Absolutely sure that was the end of it, Sungjong started walking back to his room only to come to a screeching halt yet again because of a harsh beep. Was this some kind of cruel joke? Sungjong nearly cried, he'd done everything he could, but the noise wouldn't stop. At his wit's end, he grabbed a blanket from his room and, after wrapping the smoke detector in it, took it out to the dumpster behind the building.

He stepped back into a blessedly-silent dorm and made a bee line straight for his bed; with how stressed he had been for the past half hour or so, it didn't take long for him to fall asleep. The maknae had just drifted off when a pounding on the door jolted him out of his peaceful state. Too tired to really be annoyed, he shuffled out into the living room, stifling a yawn on the way.

"Who is it?" Sungjong called, more interested in getting back to his bed.

"Lee Sungjong?"

The unfamiliar deep voice on the other side of the door made the boy's steps falter. That couldn't be who he thought it was, could it?

"Fire alarm?"

Exhaustion had clearly taken its toll, his mind too fatigued to think straight. Still, he opened the door anyway and was met with the sight of a burly firefighter. "Is there a problem, sir?"

"We found your fire alarm in the trash outside," the man replied, holding up the blanket as proof.

"That's not mine." There was no way Sungjong would own up to something so embarrassing.

"Yes, it is."

"How do you know?"

"The next time you want to dump a fire alarm," the fireman said, lifting a corner of the blanket before giving the boy a pointed look. "Don't wrap it in a blanket that says: 'Property of Lee Sungjong, not Woohyun.'"

Looking rightfully ashamed, Sungjong took the smoke detector from the man. "I'm sorry. But how do I get it to stop beeping?"

"Just press the reset button."

The firefighter left shortly after and the maknae trudged over to the couch, eager to end this ordeal once and for all. He scanned the mangled mess the alarm had become searching for a reset button, but he couldn't find one among the frayed wires and chipped plastic that was amazingly still making noise. Something on the floor by his foot caught his attention and he soon discovered it to be the reset button he was looking for. Although it was futile, he still pressed the button, harder and harder with each beep that rang out, but the alarm refused to turn off. Sungjong really cried this time.