The One with the Trifle

I.N.F.I.N.I.T.E

I started writing this one way, but then I saw a quote from that episode that I really wanted to include that didn't fit with what I was doing, so I rewrote the whole thing. That's only part of the reason why this took me so long, though. The Thanksgiving episode that I based this chapter off of is one of my favorites, so I wanted to make it as perfect as possible. I don't know if I did, but I hope it's close.

 


 

Sunggyu likes to think he's a decent leader. s seem to respect him and they usually listen when he speaks and he listens to and respects them as well. But sometimes he feels like he needs to do more, like he needs to physically show them how much he cares. Somehow, he comes up with the idea to cook for them— which isn't something he would normally even consider. Still, he is actually pretty excited about his plan when he mentions it to Woohyun and Hoya.

"You're going to cook?" Woohyun seems extremely confused at the thought of the older boy in the kitchen.

Sunggyu can understand the confusion, but he's still a bit offended. Crossing his arms, he glares at the younger vocalist. "Uh, yeah, I cook."

"Offering people gum isn't cooking," Hoya points out, looking just as unimpressed as Woohyun.

Biting back a scathing remark, the leader stomps off into the kitchen with his cookbook in hand. They don't know what they're talking about— he can totally cook. With that thought in mind he sets about to make them eat their words (and his food).

Nearly two hours later, Dongwoo and Hoya decide to check on the older boy to make sure he didn't burn the kitchen down or something. They go in to find the place thankfully still intact, albeit a bit messy, and their leader hovering over what looks to be some kind of layered dish.

"Hey, hyung," Hoya begins, attempting to sound casual. "What are you making?"

Sunggyu turns to them with a proud grin and steps aside to reveal his creation. "It's a trifle!"

"What's in it?" Tilting his head to the side, Dongwoo eyes the fluffy-looking dessert; it actually looks edible, surprisingly enough.

Sunggyu seems quite pleased with himself as he starts pointing out each layer. "First, there's a layer of ladyfingers, then jam, then custard, raspberries, more ladyfingers, beef sautéed with peas and onions, a little more custard, bananas, and whipped cream."

The older boy doesn't seem to find anything wrong with his ingredients, but the two younger members are more than a little concerned. While Sunggyu is busy putting on finishing touches, Hoya gets ahold of the cookbook and tries to figure out what could've gone wrong. He soon realizes that some of the pages are stuck together and what the leader must've thought was one recipe is actually two recipes for two very different dishes.

"We can't eat that," Hoya exclaims once he pulls Dongwoo out of the kitchen. Just thinking about it made his stomach upset.

Dongwoo felt the same way, but the thought of Sunggyu's proud smile as he talked about his creation has him reconsidering. "He looked really excited, though. I don't want to hurt his feelings."

As much as Hoya enjoys embarrassing his hyung, he kind of agrees with Dongwoo— not that he would readily admit it. Reluctantly, he gives in and sighs, "I guess we should warn everyone."

With that the two rappers set out to inform the other members of their plan. They manage to get the others to go along with it for the most part, with very little trouble.

Sungyeol and Myungsoo are in the middle of a heated discussion about the right way to pretend they've just eaten something delicious when Sunggyu calls everyone into the kitchen. Once all the members are gathered around the table, the leader makes a big show of bringing out his precious creation; he's so caught up in his own world he doesn't notice the worried glances being exchanged between the younger boys. He remains blissfully unaware as he cuts into the trifle while everyone else waits with bated breath to see who will be the first victim. There is a collective sigh of relief from almost all of them when Sunggyu places the first slice in front of Sungjong and urges him to give it a taste.

Sungjong kind of wants to cry. He really doesn't want to eat that disaster of a dessert, but everyone is looking at him and counting on him to follow the plan. Against his better judgement, he picks up his fork and takes an unnecessarily large scoop, his stomach churning with dread. The trifle is unlike anything Sungjong has ever eaten before— and definitely not something he ever wants to eat again. Feeling Sunggyu’s expectant gaze on him, he decides to use Sungyeol's method and rubs his stomach and hums in what he hopes sounds like satisfaction.

The eldest seems to buy it and soon enough all of the members have plates of meaty trifle in front of them. One by one they reluctantly dig in, their reactions undoubtedly forced. Their plan is looking like it might actually succeed until Sungyeol suddenly stands up, his chair scraping noisily across the floor; he isn't one to give up so quickly, but this just isn't worth it.

"What are you doing?" Sunggyu asks, just as confused as everyone else.

Glancing around nervously, Sungyeol says the first thing that comes to mind. "I just wanted to go out on the balcony to enjoy the view while I eat." Before the leader can question him further, the tall vocalist scurries off with his plate in hand.

Woohyun rises soon after, his smile doing little to hide the apprehension in his eyes. "You know, this is so good I want to go call my mom and tell her how good it is."

"I'll help you dial!" Myungsoo offers as he jumps up from his seat. The pair disappear from the room without another word, taking their slices of trifle with them.

Like dominoes in reverse, Sungjong is the next to pop up from his chair, an excuse falling from his lips almost instantly. "I'm going to go to the bathroom so I can watch myself while I eat."

And just like that Hoya and Dongwoo are the only members left at the table along with a stunned Sunggyu. The older boy turns to the remaining two hoping they can enlighten him on the others' odd behavior, his tiny eyes clouded with confusion. Instead of giving an answer, Hoya takes another bite of trifle and shrugs; he'd much rather feign ignorance than tell his hyung the truth about his cooking. Sunggyu shrugs as well and turns away and Hoya has to force himself to swallow the sweet meaty dessert in his mouth. While the leader is distracted he turns to Dongwoo and quietly declares, "This tastes like feet."

"Well, I like it," the rapper responds, shoveling another forkful of trifle into his mouth.

"Are you kidding?" The dancer gapes at the older boy as if he's just sprouted another head. Did he really just say that?

"I mean, what's not to like?" Staring lovingly at his nearly finished slice, Dongwoo continues, "Custard, good. Jam, good. Meat, good!"

As he watches the rapper demolish the rest of his trifle, Hoya decides there should be a new rule in the dorm: Sunggyu is never allowed to cook again.