The One Where Sungjong is Mad

I.N.F.I.N.I.T.E

I've wanted to write this one for a while, but it wasn't until I saw that episode a few days ago that I felt inspired enough to finally write it. I think Sungjong matches Phoebe pretty well, although he isn't quite as weird. This got away from me just a little, but I had fun writing it. Enjoy ^_^


 

After so many years together, the boys of Infinite had developed a close bond full of respect and understanding; they considered each other more like family than friends or even colleagues. But that didn't mean they never disagreed. It was natural— they were only human after all. Still, they always tried to clear up any misunderstandings before it affected the group.

This time, however, Sungjong wasn't sure if he could reconcile his feelings. He, Sungyeol, and Myungsoo were hanging out at the dorm when Sunggyu came down to lounge for a bit (and eat their food). He was only there for a short while before he left to grab drinks with some friends.

"See you later, hyung. Have fun," Sungjong cheerily called out as the leader headed to the door, smiling brighter than the sun. Once the older boy left, though, his smile quickly fell and he sighed in exasperation. "I'm so sorry you guys got caught in the middle of that; I didn't mean to be so out there. I am furious with him."

The two older boys shared a confused glance as they both tried to figure out what the maknae was talking about.

“Wow, um, calm down.” It came out as more of a question, though, since Sungyeol was still a bit lost.

Sinking further into the couch, the youngest crossed his arms and huffed, "I'm trying but, man, that guy can push my buttons."

Myungsoo was still confused, but he was even more concerned about how upset his dongsaeng seemed to be. "Why are you so mad at him?"

Sungjong sighed again. "Look, I don't want to talk about it. Okay?"

But the visual wouldn't let it go. "Well, it just seems that—"

"You wanna be on my list too? Keep talking." Sungjong finally snapped, barely registering the fact that he just yelled at his hyung. But his anger left almost as quickly as it came, his expression softening considerably. "Has anyone seen my list, by the way?"

"Uh, no." There was amusement in Sungyeol's voice and on his face. "What does it look like?"

"It's a piece of paper and it says ‘Sunggyu’ on it."

 

~*~

 

It was a few days later and Sungjong was still mad at Sunggyu, though the older boy didn't seem to notice. He was all smiles when he walked into the dorm and spotted the youngest sitting on the couch reading a magazine and he happily wandered over to him.

"Hey, Jongie, what're you reading?" The boy appeared not to have heard him, his attention still on the magazine. "Jongie?" Sungjong turned away from him, but made no other move to acknowledge his presence. Now Sunggyu started to feel like something might be wrong and he sat down next to the maknae. "Hello?" Sungjong scooted away from him and the leader moved to cover the distance. "Sungjong?" The boy was still shifting across the couch with Sunggyu following after him until they were both hanging over the armrest. Finally out of patience, Sunggyu snatched the magazine from the younger boy's unwilling hands.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't see you there." Sungjong had the nerve the to pretend like he wasn't just ignoring his hyung; the exaggerated look of surprise on his face wasn't fooling anyone.

Especially not Sunggyu. He had no idea what had gotten into the maknae, but he was certain it had something to do with him. "Are you— are you mad at me or something? 'Cause if you are, please tell me what it is I did."

Crossing his arms, Sungjong sniffed, "Well, if you don't know, I can't help you."

"Well, I don't know."

"Well, I can't help you."

Sunggyu sighed. He didn't like it when any of s were upset with him. "Whatever it is, I'm very, very sorry. Okay?"

Sungjong sighed as well, his expression softening. "Apology accepted."

"Ok. So we're good?"

"Uh huh."

"Alright." Now that they had cleared everything up, the leader felt much more at ease. He gave the younger boy's knee a comforting pat before standing up. "I'll see you later, ok?"

Just he was about to walk away Sungjong chose that moment to mutter under his breath, "Bye, fat ."

"Hey!" Sunggyu whirled around, his anger rising again. "Sungjong, come on. Will you please tell me what it is I did that made you so mad at me?"

"I don't know. I don't remember." The younger boy faltered a bit at the end, slightly embarrassed; he hadn't realized until then that he didn't have a solid reason for being angry.

"If you can't remember, can't we just forget about this?" Sunggyu was starting to get frustrated. Neither of them knew what he did, but he already apologized, it was time to move on.

Apparently, Sungjong wasn't ready to move on. "Oh no, I am mad at you. I know that much. But I am sorry about the fat thing. You actually have a very sweet little heinie."

Sunggyu didn't seem to know what to do with that compliment. He looked caught between proud and offended.

 

~*~

 

Although he didn't know the reason behind it, Sunggyu could tell Sungjong was still mad at him. The younger boy made it a point to ignore his hyung's presence whenever they were in the same room and the leader even heard him mutter 'ugh, this guy again' when he saw him on a few separate occasions. Still, he was determined to make things right and he soon found the perfect way.

"Okay, Sungjong. I know how we're going to figure this out," Sunggyu announced as he marched into the practice room, his eyes burning with determination. He found the maknae sitting by the wall with his phone and settled down in front of him. "Clear your mind and say the first thing that pops into your head, ok?"

Sungjong could see there was no avoiding it and reluctantly agreed.

"Ok, which do you prefer: coffee or iced tea?"

"Iced tea."

"Who would you rather be: Beyonce or Lee Hyori?"

"Beyonce."

"Why are you mad at me?"

"You said I was boring."

"When did I say you were boring?"

Sungjong's eyes became wide, the memory hitting him like a slap to the forehead. "Oh my god! I remember now. We were playing chess."

"Sungjong, you and I have never played chess."

"Oh, come on. Don't you remember that time on the frozen lake? We were playing chess, you said I was boring, and then you took off your energy mask and you were Song Hye Kyo." His words finally caught up with him and he paused for a moment. "There's a chance this may have been a dream."