The One with the Cheesecake

I.N.F.I.N.I.T.E

Hello again! I've been wanting to write this one since I started this series, but I wasn't sure who to use and I wanted to make sure I did it justice. This took me quite a few months, so hopefully I did it right. Enjoy ^_^


 

After a long day in the practice room, Woohyun returned to the dorm completely wiped out. All he wanted to do was shower and sleep. But first he decided to get something to eat. When he entered to kitchen, he found Sungyeol sitting at the table with a box of cake in front of him.

"Hey," Woohyun greeted on his way to fridge.

Finally noticing his presence, Sungyeol shot out of his seat and stalked over to the older boy, his cake-laden fork leading the way. "Hey, hyung, try this cheesecake."

"Oh, I don't really like—"

The rest of his sentence was blocked by the hunk of cheesecake the other boy shoved into his mouth. But Woohyun couldn't complain— that had to be the best cheesecake he had ever had in his life. "Oh my god. Where did you get that?"

The tall boy suddenly fell silent, his eyes shifting back and forth as he formulated a reasonable answer. "I-it was in front of our door; Someone sent it to us."

While he was talking, Woohyun had walked over to the table and lifted up the cover of the cake box to check the label. He shot a glare at the younger boy, his suspicions now confirmed. "Sungyeol, this isn't ours. It's addressed to Mrs. Hwang down the hall." Eyes widening, he gasped, "Thief!"

"It's not my fault," the other argued. He seemed completely convinced of his innocence. "Anyway, it's just one cheesecake— she won't miss it." He paused for a moment as his words sank in before shamefully hanging his head. "I'm a terrible person. Hyung, what should I do?"

Sungyeol turned to the older boy expecting to be scolded, but instead found the other stuffing his face with cheesecake. "I'm sorry, what?"

 

~*~

 

After that night, the pair made a pact to keep the incident between the two of them— especially since they ate the whole cheesecake by themselves. It was an unacceptable (yet delicious) secret that they vowed to take to their graves.

It was a few days later when Woohyun walked into the dorm with a strange sense of déjà vu. The feeling only got stronger as he stepped into the kitchen to find Sungyeol sitting alone at the table, worry etched on his face.

Finally noticing the other's presence, the younger boy pulled his gaze from the box in front of him. "Hyung, another cheesecake came."

"So?" Woohyun really couldn't see what the problem was. "Give it back."

Sungyeol's eyes drifted back to the dessert on the table, a heavy sigh falling from his lips. "I can't seem to say goodbye."

The older boy couldn't believe what he was hearing; Sungyeol had a habit of saying silly things, but this had to be the most ridiculous thing he'd ever uttered. "Are you serious? We just ate a whole cheesecake by ourselves."

"I know, but I've forgotten what it tastes like."

Scoffing at his dongsaeng's lame excuse, Woohyun crossed his arms as he moved closer. "It was cheesecake— it was fine. It had a buttery graham cracker crust with a light yet rich cream cheese filling." He was silent for a moment as he thought about the delectable dessert he'd just described before noting, "Wow, my whole mouth just filled with saliva."

"You know what," Sungyeol suddenly announced, the legs of his chair scraping against the floor as he stood up. He seemed quite determined now. "We're just hungry. We should go get something to eat and we can drop the cheesecake off at Mrs. Hwang's, so we're not tempted."

The boys wasted no time putting the plan into action and, cheesecake in hand, they left the dorm to find something to satisfy their hunger, stopping along the way to give the misplaced dessert back to its rightful owner.

They both thought that was the end of it, but when they returned from their meal Sungyeol was quick to notice the box still sitting exactly where they'd left it.

"The cheesecake's still there."

"Maybe she isn't home." There was a hint of hope in Woohyun's voice although he tried to appear concerned.

"We should probably take it back, right?" Sungyeol was already inching toward the box as he spoke. "I mean, we don't want her to come back to bad cheesecake."

"So, we're saving her life."

"Right."

"But you should hurry up."

"Why?"

"I think I just heard her moving behind the door."

The boys were quick to scoop up the forgotten dessert before speed-walking back to the dorm as innocently as possible.

 

~*~

 

Somehow the two boys were able to devour another cheesecake without any of the other members finding out, their vow to keep it a secret unspoken but still very much intact. As the one who started it all, Sungyeol felt quite guilty about stealing the dessert, but after a week passed with no new cheesecake delivery, he was sure it was all over and he promised himself he'd never do anything like that again. Although he and Woohyun never mentioned those unspeakable incidents, he had no doubt the older boy had put it behind him as well. So he was beyond shocked when he walked into the dorm and found his hyung sitting at the kitchen table with a nearly-half-eaten cheesecake in front of him.

"You're eating the cheesecake without me?" Sungyeol couldn't believe what he was seeing; they were supposed to be in this together. And Woohyun had the nerve to shake his head— as if it wasn't completely obvious his mouth was full of the creamy dessert. "How could you?"

The older boy seemed to take offense to the accusation, rolling his eyes with a scoff. "What are you gonna do— tell on me? You can't because then you'd have to tell them what we did. We're dessert stealers; we're living outside the law."

Sungyeol had to admit he kind of had a point; they did something unethical and immoral (and possibly illegal) and the last thing they wanted was for someone else to find out. Still, the tall boy couldn't let his bandmate's betrayal go just like that. He stalked over to the table and snatched the cake away from his friend.

"You know what, I don't trust you with the cheesecake anymore. And since I had it first, I'm taking it back."

"No way— we should split it." Woohyun rose from his seat, ready to snatch the cake right back.

"That's not fair, you already had some. I'm taking it back."

"Well, I think your mom would be interested to know you called her cheesecake dry and mealy."

Damn, he just had to go there. Sungyeol huffed, dropping the dessert back on the table. "What do we use to cut it?"

A triumphant Woohyun grabbed a knife from the cupboard and quickly divided the cheesecake. Since he was feeling gracious, he even let the younger boy choose first.

Unfortunately, the boy decided to take his time deliberating. He got eye-level with the cake and thoroughly inspected each piece. "This side looks bigger," he noted quietly. "But this side has more crust. Maybe if I measure—"

"Oh my God, just pick a piece!" Woohyun snapped, his patience running out.

"Fine. I'll take that one."

"Okay, that's it— no switching, no sharing, and don't come crying to me if you finish your piece too fast." With that last warning Woohyun scooped up the unclaimed slice and started heading for his room. Except, he only took about two steps before he tripped over his own feet and ended up dropping his cheesecake right in front of the entrance to the kitchen.

Having seen it all, Sungyeol all but skipped over to the shorter boy, his slice of cheesecake somehow sitting mockingly in his hand. "Aw, what happened?"

Woohyun ignored the blatant sarcasm, his mind on more important things. "Hey, give me a piece of yours."

"No way!" The younger singer pulled his plate closer to his chest. "Did you forget what you just said: 'no switching, no sharing, and don't come crying to me if you finish your piece too fast'." Smirking at his hyung's lack of a response, he brandished a forkful of cake, taunting, "You know what, I think I'll stand here and eat my cheesecake— just stand here and—"

While Sungyeol was distracted, Woohyun had knocked the plate out of his hand, having had enough of the other's childish antics. If he couldn't have any cheesecake, then neither of them would.

 

~*~

 

"Ooh, here's a piece that doesn't have floor on it."

"Hey, stick to your side."

Even smashed on the floor, the two boys couldn't resist the creamy dessert. The pair were huddled by the kitchen door picking at the remnants of the stolen cheesecake, dignity and common sense having long since fled. They were arguing over a small patch of cake when a pair of feet entered the doorway. Looking up, they found Dongwoo staring down at them, his expression unreadable.

The younger boys were at a loss for words as they waited for their hyung to speak. After the longest time, Dongwoo reached into his back pocket and pulled out a fork before squatting down to survey the situation.

"What are we eating?"