The One with the Ride Along

I.N.F.I.N.I.T.E

It took me way too damn long to write this one, but I finally finished it. Let's see if I can write something else after this...

 


 

The boys of Infinite were singers first and foremost, but over the years they had also tried their hand at a number of other things. Out of everything, though, acting was the most common; almost every member had been bitten by the acting bug at one point or another. Its latest victim was the group's resident triple threat, Hoya. He had been offered a role in an upcoming drama as a rookie detective which he eagerly accepted and to prepare for it he went down to the local police station to meet with a detective.

Hoya was feeling pretty good about his future performance when he came back later that afternoon, waltzing into the downstairs dorm with a confident smile plastered on his face. He headed straight for the kitchen, partly because that was where everyone seemed to be and partly because he was planning on stealing some snacks.

Sungjong was the first to notice his presence. "Hey, how did it go?"

"It was actually pretty cool," the dancer replied on his way to the fridge. He was slightly distracted by his hunt for food, but his excitement was still very present. "We rode around in a cop car and we saw and prevented crimes."

"You got to go on a ride along?" Myungsoo looked downright offended by the notion. When Hoya confirmed it with a nod he whined (to no one in particular), "I wanna go on a ride along!"

"Me too!" Woohyun was quick to agree, waving his hand in the air like he wanted to be picked.

Not one to be left out, Sungyeol soon threw his hat in as well. "Yeah, me too!"

"Really? You?"

Sungyeol didn't appreciate Hoya's skepticism one bit. Rolling his eyes, he scoffed, "Yeah."

"Well, it's kind of dangerous." Hoya wasn't trying to be rude— he was just worried for the younger boy.

His concern was lost on the tall boy, who crossed his arms defiantly as he challenged his hyung's words. "Well, I like danger."

"Alright, fine," the older boy relented. He finally realized it was pointless arguing with someone so stubborn. "I'll call Detective Han; he can probably take you guys out for a ride tonight."

Sungyeol's eyes went wide at the last word that left Hoya's mouth, his face turning white as a sheet. His earlier bravado was nowhere to be found. "Tonight? Y-you didn't say it was going to be at nighttime."

 

~*~

 

Despite his apprehension, Sungyeol still tagged along later that evening, although he tried not to let it show; this was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and he didn't want to look like a wimp. Thankfully, all they had done was ride around the city and watch Detective Han interrogate a witness. They had now stopped to grab a quick bite to eat, but while Woohyun was in the front seat chatting with the detective, Sungyeol was busy monitoring the sun's gradual descent below the horizon.

As the last rays faded away, the tall boy noted, chuckling nervously, "It is now officially nighttime."

Myungsoo came back to the car just then, being the last one to find something to eat; he could be quite selective about his food at times. This time, he chose a sandwich stuffed with meat, cheese, and marinara sauce, the aroma quickly filling the car.

Sungyeol couldn't resist inhaling the delicious scent. "Wow, that smells amazing."

"Did I say you could smell my sandwich?" The younger boy looked so upset one would think Sungyeol had actually eaten the sandwich. "Half of the taste is in the smell— you're up all the taste units!"

"Well, here, let me give them back," the older vocalist sarcastically retorted before exhaling sharply; he was in no mood to deal with his dongsaeng's ridiculous antics.

Before their little spat could escalate into something bigger, Detective Han announced their next move, a stakeout on a potential suspect, and took off downtown. Woohyun had the privilege of sitting in the front seat and with it he was given the honor of turning on the siren. Of course, he wasted no time taunting the other two with that fact, but it only lasted a few minutes until he accidentally switched the light on while they were trying to be undercover and couldn't turn it off. He was immediately demoted to the backseat where he became the one being taunted.

It was some time later and the boys were trying their best to follow Detective Han's directions to be observant yet inconspicuous as they watched a man on the street. Just when they thought they had been made a loud 'bang' suddenly rang out, sending all of them ducking for cover. While Sungyeol dropped his head between his knees, Myungsoo had turned toward Woohyun, his arms moving around the older boy in a seemingly protective manner.

"It's okay; it was just a car backfire." Detective Han was the first one to check if the coast was clear, being more used to unexpected noises than the three singers. When he looked back to check on his passengers he noticed Myungsoo's protective hold on Woohyun. "Look at that— you're protecting your hyung. That's really brave."

Upon hearing those words, Sungyeol popped back up, utter betrayal evident on his face as he took in the sight of his so-called best friend holding their bandmate. Myungsoo had enough sense to let go of Woohyun, but the damage had already been done.

 

~*~

 

The rest of the ride along was awkward, to say the least, with Sungyeol sulking by the window and Woohyun staring at Myungsoo like a starstruck fangirl. They managed to finally make it back to the company building despite the rising tension where they ran into Sunggyu, who was on his way home after practice.

After introducing himself to the detective, the leader turned to s and asked, "So, how was it?"

"Someone took a shot at me!" Woohyun eagerly answered, as if that was something to brag about.

Still bitter about what had happened, Sungyeol didn't hesitate to correct the older boy. "Yeah right, it was just a car backfire."

"Whatever." Woohyun easily dismissed the truth before continuing, "I thought someone took a shot at me and Myungsoo, without even thinking about his own safety, dove to save me."

Detective Han nodded in agreement. "That was really impressive. You know, we could use someone like you on the force."

"Yeah, someone who jumps at loud noises," Sungyeol scoffed, not bothering to hide his irritation; he was getting really tired of all this praising. Not wanting to hear another compliment, he decided to leave before he exploded. "You know what— I'm gonna go before Woohyun starts talking about his new respect for life."

"I do have a new respect for life," the older vocalist agreed, his expression turning wistful.

"Oh my god!"

The tall boy stalked off without another word while Sunggyu and the detective also took off, leaving Myungsoo and Woohyun standing on the sidewalk. It wasn't long before the older boy was back to staring at the visual in awe, much to his dongsaeng's annoyance.

"Cut it out," Myungsoo warned, glaring at his hyung. "I’d hate to have to save your life and kick your all in the same day."

 

~*~

 

After escaping Woohyun's uncomfortable staring, Myungsoo went to check on Sungyeol; he could tell his friend was upset about something and he was starting to think he might know what it was. He eventually found the boy pacing around the practice room, still clearly distraught.

"Hey, hyung, why did you walk off like that? Is something wrong?"

"It's nothing. I'm just tired."

Sungyeol did look pretty exhausted. Finding no reason to argue with that, Myungsoo nodded and turned to leave. "Oh, ok."

"You dove in front of Woohyun!" Sungyeol suddenly cried out, his tone more than a little accusatory.

"Oh, that's what this is about." The younger boy seemed to have finally figured it out. "You hate Woohyun."

Well, maybe not.

The taller boy was quick to deny the outrageous accusation. "What? No, I don't."

"Of course you do," Myungsoo insisted, not buying it at all. "It all adds up— you hate Woohyun and you're mad I saved him. You want him out of the picture!"

Sungyeol had no idea where his friend was getting this information.

"It's not like that— It's just—" The older boy sighed. Suddenly feeling self-conscious about revealing his true feelings, he crossed his arms somewhat protectively, his eyes dropping to the floor. "I'm glad you saved Woohyun from the car backfire, but it could've been a bullet and, well, you didn't save me."

"Oh, you think I tried to save Woohyun instead of you." It looked like Myungsoo really did figure it out this time. Just as the realization of what was going on hit him, so did the realization that he would have to reveal his true intentions earlier that night. Stumbling to come up with a good excuse, he explained, "No, I-I knew you could take care of yourself. But I had to protect Woohyun; he's not street like us."

"What?"

"Ok, fine. I wasn't trying to save Woohyun." Myungsoo was now the one looking embarrassed and avoiding eye contact. "I-I was actually trying to save... my sandwich."

"Your sandwich?" Sungyeol wasn't sure he heard him correctly.

Expecting some confusion, the visual reasoned, "I know it doesn't make much sense—"

"Much sense?" The tall boy retorted; he was starting to question his dongsaeng's sanity. Myungsoo could be a bit out there at times, but this was beyond strange.

Myungsoo, on the other hand, saw nothing wrong with his actions and he wouldn't stop trying to make his friend understand. "Look, I know it sounds silly, but—" he suddenly reached behind him and pulled the sandwich from his back pocket "—this is the best sandwich in the world."

Sungyeol still had a million questions, but there was only one that really mattered. "So, you didn't choose Woohyun over me?"

"Never." The younger boy didn't hesitate to answer, although he was sure Woohyun wouldn't appreciate his hasty reply. The older boy probably wouldn't like his next words either. "You're like a brother to me."

Sungyeol bit back a sheepish smile as he ran a hand through his hair; one might've thought Myungsoo had confessed to him. He would never admit it, but knowing he was always the younger boy's first choice really meant a lot.

But Myungsoo's gratitude didn't stop there. Extending the sandwich toward his friend, he declared, "You know what, to show you how much you mean to me— here."

"Wow, thanks." Sungyeol didn't know what else to say. Myungsoo willingly sharing his food was a pretty rare occurrence. Not wanting to miss the opportunity, he quickly snatched the sandwich from his friend's hand.

"Whoa, easy! It's not a hot dog," the visual complained, not liking the way the older boy was manhandling his precious offering.

Sungyeol wasted no time unwrapping the sandwich and took a generous bite, letting out a satisfied groan at the delicious flavors delighting his tastebuds. Myungsoo was watching with a knowing smile until he noticed the boy going in for another bite.

"What are you doing?"

"You offered me your sandwich to show how much you care, right?"

"Uh, no," Myungsoo scoffed, reclaiming his food. "I was only offering you a bite."

Scoffing once again, he dug into the sandwich leaving Sungyeol looking on, dumbfounded. He may have won over Woohyun, but he would never win over food.