The One with Sungjong's y Voice

I.N.F.I.N.I.T.E

Ok, I know I have other things to write (and I am writing them, I promise), but I was watching Friends a couple days ago and I got really inspired. I really enjoyed writing this one, probably because it's Sungjong, so I hope you'll enjoy reading it.

 


 

It all started with a sneeze. After that it wasn't long until Sungjong was coughing as well, his nose running like a leaky faucet. This was perfect. He just had to catch a cold right before the group had a slew of performances. Instead of beating himself up about getting sick at the worst possible time, the maknae tried to power through; he'd survived a lot worse, he could do this. So, he armed himself with plenty of tissues and cough drops and marched into the practice room ready to get to work.

 

Sunggyu got one look at the younger boy and all but kicked him out of the room. "You don't look so good; you should go back to the dorm and rest."

 

"I'm fine." Waving him off, Sungjong dropped his stuff in a corner and started warming up his voice. He sounded far from fine, but he was sure it would get better once they got started. At least, he hoped so.

 

Everyone took their places behind their microphones and practice soon began. His throat was feeling dry and scratchy, but Sungjong still tried to sing as best as he could when his part came up and he was beyond shocked to find that he actually sounded... good. His normally light voice had become huskier, the phlegm giving it a raspier yet y quality.

 

Hey, I sound pretty good, the young vocalist thought as he joined everyone in the chorus.

 

Apparently, he wasn't the only one who thought so. Once the song was over, Dongwoo and Myungsoo were practically gushing about Sungjong's new voice.

 

It was all so exciting; Sungjong couldn't get enough of his newfound sound. He knew he probably should've been saving his voice, but he just sounded so good— he couldn't not sing. It was a few days later when the most unexpected and completely unwanted thing happened. They were at the dorm going over dinner plans or, more accurately, looking for the nearest takeout menu and although he didn't expect anyone to listen, Sungjong still wanted give his opinion. The youngest cleared his throat and spoke, but when his voice came out it sounded... wrong. Well, not wrong— just normal. The way it did before he got sick. He came to the devastating conclusion that his cold had passed, his voice no longer phlegmy and y.

 

Sungjong should've been happy to be healthy again, but he missed the raspyness his sickness gave him. He was still wallowing over his miraculous recovery the next day at breakfast when Myungsoo shuffled in looking dead on his feet, his nose red and runny.

 

"Sungjong, I think I got your cold," the visual managed to sputter out between sneezes.

 

"More like, 'stole' it," the maknae muttered, crossing his arms. It wasn't his hyung's fault, but he still felt bitter.

 

~*~

 

Sungjong soon decided he had to take matters into his own hands; he had to make himself sick and get his y voice back.

 

Dressed in a thin t-shirt and shorts with his hair still wet from the shower, Sungjong marched into the living room on a mission. He ignored the odd stares s were giving him and went over to the window; he was bound to get sick if he stayed out long enough in the cold winter air.

 

"What are you doing?" Woohyun's voice rang out behind him, the confusion in his tone most likely matching the look on his face.

 

Pulling his head back in, the younger boy turned to the baffled vocalist and shrugged. "I'm trying to catch a cold— I hear they're pretty common."

 

In the end, his plan proved fruitless and he was forced to try something else. Deciding to go for a different approach, Sungjong waltzed into Myungsoo's room the next day with a steaming cup of soup fresh from the convenience store around the corner; perhaps direct contact with the germs would work better. The older boy was bundled under a mountain of blankets, a box of tissues close at his side. It was a pitiful sight, but Sungjong still envied him.

 

"Hey, hyung," the maknae called out to his dozing group mate. "I felt bad for getting you sick, so I got you some soup."

 

Myungsoo stirred upon his entrance, a tired smile appearing when he saw the younger boy standing in front of him. Sniffling a bit, he took the offered cup and croaked, "Thanks, Jongie."

 

Sungjong responded with a smile, only a little jealous of how hoarse the other boy sounded. While the visual was busy sipping the hot broth, he got to work picking up the used tissues littering the floor. He tried to act casual as he stuffed a few in his pocket, but he wasn't as discreet as he had hoped.

 

"What are you doing?" Myungsoo was staring at him with a mixture of confusion and disgust.

 

"Nothing." Sungjong was tired of people questioning his motives. He sighed when Myungsoo continued to stare at him, waiting for a real answer, and confessed, "Fine, I want my cold back. I miss my y voice."

 

Affection softened the older boy's features almost instantly and he chuckled. "I don't think that's how it works."

 

Perching on the edge of the bed, the maknae bowed his head in embarrassment. "I know. How's your soup?"

 

"It's good, thanks."

 

Sungjong returned his hyung's smile and wordlessly took the cup from his shaky hands. He only hesitated for a moment before he started the rim of the cup, attempting to pick up any germs that might have lingered.

 

"Ewww!"

 

Myungsoo was now completely disgusted and had lost all respect for his dongsaeng.

 

~*~

 

Sungjong was ready to give up. He had tried just about everything and he had only succeeded in making his hyungs worry about his mental state. He was back in the practice room trying to recreate the raspy sound the cold had given him with very little success. He was just about to admit defeat when Sungyeol passed by, a wet cough slipping out on the way; he had obviously caught Myungsoo's cold.

 

Without really thinking, he grabbed the older boy's arm and demanded, "Sungyeol, kiss me."

 

"What?"

 

Sungjong didn't give the taller boy time to say much else before he pulled him into a searing kiss. He pulled away a few seconds later with a slight grin, leaving Sungyeol wide-eyed in shock. Maybe he was just imagining it, but Sungjong already felt like he was getting sick.

 

And when he woke up the next morning with a telltale scratch in his throat he knew his y voice was about to make a comeback.