The One Where They Go Running

I.N.F.I.N.I.T.E

I was looking at some quotes from the show and I got inspired to write this chapter. There was a specific quote I wanted to use, but I didn't remember it until I was almost done. It's okay though, I like how this came out. I hope you do too ^_^

 


 

It's no secret that Dongwoo is the most health conscious member of Infinite. He eats well, exercises regularly, and even goes to sleep at a reasonable time— there is no one else who is as disciplined as the energetic rapper. Except, maybe, Hoya. The dancer has always been exceptionally hardworking at everything he does, be it singing, dancing, rapping, or any of his many other talents. So it's no surprise he is just as diligent when it comes to taking care of his body. With their shared passion for fitness, the pair easily become workout buddies.

Early one morning, Dongwoo suggests they go running in the park and Hoya happily agrees; it's been awhile since he went for a run. The park is a bit more crowded than they expected, but it's mostly older people who barely give them a second glance. That all changes, however, when they finally start running. While Hoya moves with finely controlled steps, Dongwoo seems to have lost all control of his limbs. He flails his arms wildly above his head as takes surprisingly large strides with his short legs— it is quite a sight and he has all eyes on him as he goes, though he doesn't appear to notice or care.

Hoya, on the other hand, is painfully aware of everyone's stares and he tries not to run too closely next to his friend. He never would've agreed to come if he had known it would be like this.

He makes quite a fuss about it to Sunggyu and Woohyun back at the dorm. Dropping himself on one end of the couch, Hoya grumbles, "I swear when he runs, he runs like a mix between Kermit the Frog and the Six Million Dollar Man."

"You should just tell him you don't want to run with him anymore." Woohyun makes a simple suggestion that isn't quite as helpful as Hoya would like.

"I can't do that." The dancer is still whining, a troubled frown tugging on his lips. "He'll want to know why and I don't want to have to lie to him. He would never forgive me."

Dongwoo bounces into the living room just then, completely unaware of the other boys' conversation, and makes a beeline for his exercising buddy. He has his usual bright grin plastered on his face as he sits on the arm of the couch and says, "Hey Hoya, I had a lot of fun this morning. We should go running again tomorrow."

"Uh, I can't." Hoya is pretty sure he will die of embarrassment if he goes running with Dongwoo again.

The rapper's smile falters as worry flashes in his eyes. "Why not? Is something wrong?"

The younger boy doesn't know what to say; he can't lie to his hyung, but he can't quite tell him the truth either. Without really thinking, he blurts out, "Yeah, uh, it's my ankle."

"Oh no, what happened?" Dongwoo is definitely upset now, a deep frown darkening his features.

"Sunggyu kicked me."

So much for not lying.

Eyes widening in shock, Dongwoo turns his gaze to their leader sitting on the other end of the couch. "Hyung, why would you do something like that?"

"I have no idea," Sunggyu responds flatly, staring pointedly in Hoya's direction.

Suddenly, the coffee table seems like the most interesting thing in the world.

 

~*~

 

Hoya still goes running the next day, despite the pang of guilt in his stomach. He gets over it soon enough once he starts jogging along the path in the park; it's nice to run without wanting the ground to swallow you up. Just as he comes around a curve in the path, Dongwoo pops out from behind a tree, successfully scaring the crap out of the younger boy.

"I knew it!" The rapper exclaims, pointing an accusing finger. "I thought you hurt your ankle."

"I did; I was just checking to see if I could still run and it looks like I can. I'm all better!" Hoya knows he shouldn't lie, but he's finding it hard to stop now.

Dongwoo stares at him with a mix of doubt and disappointment— he obviously isn't buying it anymore. "I know you're lying. Why don't you want to run with me anymore?"

"I was embarrassed," the younger boy admits with a sigh. He's so ashamed of himself he can't even look his hyung in the eye. Now that he's finally telling the truth, he figures he might as well spill it all. "It's just the way you run is a little..." The dancer mimics his friend's odd antics by waving his arms in the air wildly.

Oddly enough, the rapper doesn't seem to be offended. The smile that's found its way onto his face appears to be one of amusement and understanding. "That's just how I like to run. You know, I run like I did when I was a kid because that's the only way it's fun. You know?" Dongwoo's become impassioned, his eyes shining as he continues. "I mean, didn't you ever run so fast you thought your legs were gonna fall off, you know, like when you were running toward the swings or running away from Satan?" Once he sees the younger boy's confused expression, he clarifies, "The neighbor's dog."

With a bit of coaxing, Dongwoo manages to convince Hoya to give his unique running style a try. As the two of them flail around the sparsely populated park, the younger dancer has to admit it is kind of fun. He's only vaguely aware of all the eyes on them and the more he runs, the less he finds himself caring.