The One with the Chair

I.N.F.I.N.I.T.E

I know I said I wasn't going to write any more of these for a while, but I was feeling kind of stuck on my other stories, so I decided to come back here to motivate myself. This one might be the longest one so far; I don't know why I said I would try to keep these under 1000 words, I always get carried away.

 


 

As a leader, Sunggyu had a lot of responsibilities and obligations and he liked to think he was pretty good at handling all of them. But that didn't mean he enjoyed doing them. That was especially true when it came to their morning routine; since he was the oldest he was expected to get up first before waking everyone else. He could've done without being a human alarm clock.

Sunggyu had this same exact thought one particular morning as he stumbled out of bed to begin the dreaded routine. Resigned to his fate, he set about waking up Hoya and Dongwoo before getting himself ready and then going to check on the other dorm. Since they had an early schedule, the leader had entrusted Woohyun with the task of waking the three youngest, though he didn't necessarily trust him to do much else afterward.

Just as he expected, when he stepped into the dorm Sungyeol was lounging in the living room while Myungsoo was milling around in the kitchen and Woohyun was nowhere to be found. The eldest took in his bandmates' unkempt attire and just had to ask: "Why aren't you guys dressed?"

"We have half an hour," Myungsoo replied as he entered the room, a slice of toast in hand.

Sunggyu was very quickly losing his patience; they had a very important schedule to attend and he wanted to make sure they were exactly on time. The younger boys didn't seem to get that, though. "No, four minutes ago you had half an hour, we have to leave by twenty to eight."

"Relax, hyung," Sungyeol said from his perch on the armchair, his eyes never leaving his phone. "It only takes us two minutes to get dressed."

Sunggyu couldn't really argue with that. Sungyeol was known to throw on anything he could find and since almost all of his clothes were black, Myungsoo wouldn't spend a lot of time worrying if they matched. Suppressing his frustration, the leader tried to speak calmly. "Well, I'd feel a lot better if you got dressed now."

"Ok."

And yet the pair made no move to get up or do anything that remotely resembled getting dressed. Sunggyu was seconds away from snapping at s when Sungjong sauntered out of his room, fully-awake and (more importantly) fully-dressed.

"Wow, you look great!" The elder was just so glad that someone was taking their schedule seriously. And the maknae did look pretty amazing.

"Thanks." The younger boy graciously took the compliment, a pleased smile stretching on his lips. But he didn't stay humble for long, immediately adding, "I know, though."

Ignoring the maknae's vanity, Sunggyu strolled over to him and threw an arm over his shoulders. "You see this, this is a person who's ready to go." He turned the boy to face him, his hands firmly planted on the other's shoulders and a fiercely fond look in his eyes. "Sungjong, you are my star."

"Well, you're my lucky penny," Sungjong returned uncertainly. He had no idea why his hyung was acting so strangely and didn't really want to know either. Smiling uneasily, he shrugged out of the older boy's grasp and quickly retreated to the kitchen.

Still very much aware of their lack of time, Sunggyu went to see what was taking Woohyun so long. He was only the tiniest bit surprised to find the vocalist holed up in his room deliberating over what to wear. Although he knew it was pretty much useless, he still spent a few precious minutes nagging the younger boy about hurrying up before heading back to deal with the two pains in the living room.

The leader was almost hopeful when he only spotted Myungsoo but was instantly disappointed once Sungyeol walked in just as undressed as before.

Returning from his trip to the bathroom, the tall boy strolled over to Myungsoo who was now sitting in his vacated seat. "Get up."

"What?" The visual was busy playing a game on his phone, his eyes lifting briefly before they were once again glued to his device.

"You're in my seat."

"How is this your seat?"

"'Cause I was sitting there."

"But then you left."

"Well, it's not like I went to China," Sungyeol retorted, his frustration clear as he crossed his arms. "I went to the bathroom, you knew I was coming back."

Myungsoo spared another quick glance and shrugged. "What's the big deal? Sit somewhere else."

Sungyeol was now hovering over the other boy, anger ablaze in his eyes. "The big deal is I was sitting there last, so that's my seat."

The younger boy finally paused his game and shot his friend an amused smirk. "Well, actually the last place you were sitting was in there," he nodded in the direction of the bathroom. "So..."

"You guys." Sunggyu decided to step in before things escalated any further; he knew for a fact the two of them weren't opposed to settling issues with their fists. There were more important matters to deal with anyway. "You know what, it doesn't matter. Because you both have to go get dressed before the big vein in my head pops."

Sungyeol considered his words for a moment and then nodded. "Ok, hyung, I just have to do one thing first, really quickly." The tall boy leaned down until he was right next to Myungsoo's ear and all but shouted, "Get up!"

"Okay, look," Sunggyu interjected yet again. His input hadn't been much help the last time, but he couldn't just watch them fight. Perhaps if he put on his leader voice they would listen to him. "We have nineteen minutes. So, Sungyeol I want you to go get dressed and when you come back, Myungsoo will go get dressed and he'll have vacated the chair. Okay? Okay."

Sungyeol finally relented, a heavy sigh passing his lips. "Alright, fine. I'll get dressed. But when I get back it's chair sitting and I'm the guy who's... sitting in a chair!"

The tall boy made an awkward exit and Sunggyu felt like they could get back on track. Feeling tentatively optimistic, he decided to go check on Woohyun's progress. A few minutes later, Sungyeol returned to the living room looking considerably more presentable than before as he marched over to Myungsoo, who made no effort to leave his seat.

"Alright," the older vocalist started, his tone more subdued. "As you can see, I am fully dressed. And I, in turn, can see that you are not. So, in other words, get out of my chair, dillhole!"

"Okay." Myungsoo seemed to give in rather easily as he rose from his seat without any further complaint. But before Sungyeol could celebrate his victory, the younger boy grabbed the cushions from the chair and started heading for his room.

"What are you doing?"

Already halfway across the room, the visual turned to his bandmate. "You said I had to give you the chair, but you didn't say anything about the cushions."

Sungyeol was appalled. "The cushions are the essence of the chair!"

"That's right, I'm taking the essence." Without another word, Myungsoo spun around and stalked out of the room.

Sungyeol was still gaping at the utter betrayal when Sunggyu returned, having made sure Woohyun was at least 80% ready. He probably should've been concerned about what had the tall boy so troubled, but he was honestly more focused on the fact that he was finally dressed. It was at that exact moment when he started having hope that they would leave on time that Myungsoo came storming into the room, still not dressed.

"Where's my underwear?!"

The leader turned to the tall boy, clearly exasperated. "Come on. You took his underwear?"

"He took my essence," Sungyeol responded defensively, pointing an accusatory finger in the visual's direction.

Sunggyu had no idea what that meant, but time was running out and he couldn't afford to get distracted by shenanigans. "Okay, wait. Myungsoo, why can't you just wear the underwear you're wearing now?"

"Because I'm not wearing any underwear now." Myungsoo stated it rather matter-of-factly as if they should already know.

Looking smug, Sungyeol crossed his arms. "Well, it looks like somebody is gonna have to give somebody back his cushions."

Myungsoo had no intention of doing anything of the sort. He fixed the older boy with a defiant glare and declared, "Okay, you hide my clothes— I'm gonna do the exact opposite to you."

"What? Are you gonna show me my clothes?"

"Hey, opposite is opposite."

The younger boy stormed out once again without another word and Sungyeol huffed in annoyance, "He's got nothing!"

Sunggyu officially gave up. They had about seven minutes until they absolutely had to leave and he was stuck in the middle of a childish war. Sinking into the couch in defeat, he wondered what he could've done in a past life to deserve such difficult dongsaengs. As he was envisioning the lecture he was sure to get for being late Myungsoo came back into the living room swaddled in numerous layers of pants and shirts.

"Okay, hyung. Here it is. You hide my clothes, I'm wearing everything you own."

"Oh my god!" Sungyeol's eyes were wide in disbelief. "That is so not the opposite of taking somebody's underwear."

Smirking in triumph, Myungsoo propped his hands on his hips— or, at least, he tried to. It was hard to move his arms with all the layers. "Maybe if I wasn't going commando..." The older boy made an unintelligible noise at the insinuation, which only spurred the visual's childish antics. Fanning himself with one hand, he exclaimed, "Whew, it's hot with all this stuff on. I better not do any, I don't know, lunges."

Myungsoo immediately started doing lunges as Sungyeol watched on in bewilderment.

"Okay, enough!" Sunggyu shouted, standing to face the two boys. He didn't have time for this crap. "Enough with the lunging. I've had it up to here with you two. You know what, neither of you can come."

"Jeez, what a baby." Sungyeol scoffed at the leader's outburst; he found it rather uncalled for.

"Yeah, hyung, way to ruin it" Myungsoo added. "I was just going to get dressed."

Sunggyu gave up. He was getting too old for this.