The One with the Jellyfish

I.N.F.I.N.I.T.E

This seemed so much easier in my head. I'm surprised I was actually able to keep this under 1000 words; I usually end up rambling or decide to add things. Anyway, I don't know when I'll write the next chapter, but I hope you like this one.


 

The day started out pretty well. The weather was perfect and they were doing a shoot by the ocean. Even Sunggyu was happy, despite his aversion to open water. It was easy to smile and laugh for the camera since they were genuinely excited to be there and they managed to wrap things up rather quickly. The good vibes seemed to spread from the Infinite members to the staff, who granted the boys a few hours to enjoy the sun and sand. Not having to be told twice, they all went to find their own ways to spend what little time they had.

Sunggyu, of course, settled down in a chair as far away from the water as possible while Dongwoo attempted to teach Woohyun and Hoya how to surf (because he was such an expert). A bit farther down the shore Sungjong was scouring the sand for shells as Myungsoo assisted Sungyeol in his attempt to build the most glorious sandcastle the world had ever seen. Everything was perfect.

Well, for a short time anyway. It all started with a shriek. The surfers were too far out in the water to hear it and the leader was fast asleep, but Sungyeol and Myungsoo heard the maknae's cry and they rushed over to see what was wrong, their construction completely forgotten. Sungjong, who had wandered into the tide, was hunched over in the sand holding his leg, a pained expression on his face. It became obvious pretty quickly that the younger boy had been stung by a jellyfish and was in need of medical attention as soon as possible. But calling for help would take too long and Sungjong looked just about ready to cry from all the pain. Then Myungsoo got an idea...

 

~*~

 

There was something different about them when they were coming back. While the other members were laughing and chatting about their time at the beach, the three youngest were oddly quiet. Although they were squashed into the backseat, they somehow managed to keep themselves as far away from each other as possible; Sungyeol and Myungsoo were pressed against their respective windows while Sungjong clung to himself in the middle. When the van turned into a curve and Sungjong's shoulder lightly touched Sungyeol's, the two jumped apart as if they had been electrocuted, their eyes filled with fear.

The older members all noticed the weird behavior, but Woohyun was the first to say something about it. Twisting slightly in his seat, he asked rather bluntly, "What's up with you guys?"

"Nothing." The young trio were quick to reply, though it was beyond clear that something definitely was up.

"Well, something obviously did happen." Sunggyu eyed the boys from his seat all the way in the front, feeling almost as troubled as they looked; tension like this was never good for the group. As the leader he had to take care of it before their CEO— or worse, their fans— noticed. "You guys have been acting weird since we left the beach."

The three boys remained silent, refusing to share the secret they were harboring. The tension was beginning to reach an unbearable level when Sungjong finally decided to speak up.

"It was a jellyfish."

"Sungjong." Sungyeol's voice held a hint of a warning, his eyes urging the other not to say anything more.

But the maknae only shook his head; he had the whole van's attention now, he might as well keep going. "I got stung— it hurt so bad. I just wanted the pain to go away."

"Then I remembered something I'd read about how to treat jellyfish stings." Myungsoo was the next to speak as he gazed at the passing cars outside the window.

That seemed to spark a memory in Hoya's mind. "I think I saw something about that on TV once. Yeah, if you get stung you can—" The rapper stopped suddenly, his eyes going wide. "Ew, you peed on yourself?"

"Ewww!" Sunggyu, Dongwoo, and Woohyun didn't hesitate to express their disgust once they realized what was going on. They were all staring at the youngest member in horror, struck absolutely speechless by what they'd just heard.

Sungjong grimaced, muttering, "I tried, but I couldn't bend that way."

"Then who..." Dongwoo's voice trailed off as he looked between the three boys behind him. He got his answer when Myungsoo and Sungjong both glanced at Sungyeol beside them.

"Ewww!" The older members chorused once again, their eyes shifting to the tall boy in the back.

Surprisingly, Sungyeol didn't seem embarrassed— if anything, he looked angry or at least annoyed. "That's right, I stepped up," he declared, observing the shocked faces in front of him. He only became more impassioned as he continued, "He's my friend and he needed help. And if I had to, I'd pee on any one of you."

In the end, it was unanimously decided that no one would speak of that beach incident ever again.