Chapter 6

The Stranger

Mirai POV

Kento was almost on the verge of giving Ryosuke a punch. He held onto Ryosuke's collar, with fierce-some eyes. Yet I could do nothing but struggle with my own guilt. Tears welled up in my eyes as I shouted for him to stop, and when I saw Kento's fist almost landing on Ryosuke, I recklessly came in between.

I hear Umika and Sora's gasp the instance his fist is too close to my face. My eyes were tight shut in fear. I could feel a soft pair of hands on my shoulders, pulling me back and when I reopened my eyes, his arm blocked my face from the impending fist. I turned around and found myself leaning on Ryosuke. His free hand tugged around my waist and brought me close to him. I could hear his heartbeat fast behind my back. That moment our eyes interlocked, i thought i felt this intense fear in his eyes. What is he frightened off, why is he trying so hard to hide his emotions.

"Chill, Seriously! No one is hurt so just let it go, Kento. Ryosuke just has to be more careful, okay?" My brother intervened as the older one.

Ryosuke nodded as he gradually pulled back from me, after assuring that I was okay. "I'm sorry for the near-accident. I'll be more careful"

"If we have all gotten hurt, your sorry will be useless" Kento murmured.

"Enough. I think we aren't fair to Ryosuke too. Driving for 5 hours straight is mentally exhausting for any person. He ought to take a rest. Let me take over... Ryosuke, you go to the back and rest. Shida Mirai, you too! Get a rest!" Daiki instructed. Everyone got back into the car. Kento moved to the second row with Umika, since it was obvious Daiki and him can't really talk to each other casually. Sora sat beside Daiki since he requested for live music while he drives. So naturally, I sat beside Ryosuke who kept to himself ever since. He didn't speak nor look at anyone. He only stares into the moving scenery, and all I could see was the back of his hair moving elegantly against the breeze. I saw him popped something into his mouth, I wondered if he caught a cold since he was rubbing his nose. After about an hour, i saw his fingers loosen, his limbs totally rested. Actually everyone else did, except me and Daiki this time. As the car turns, his head turned to my side. Finally, I got to see him. His face is no longer as perplexed as before but the knotted brows stays. I had that urge to just slip my hand into his and give it a light squeeze. Little by little, I brought my hand towards his. His hands were soft, and I imagined how it would feel if he held my hands with our fingers interlocked like how a couple would. Even just holding his, i hope that moment will freeze. I look at him and thought deeply, I think I have fallen in love with you, Yamada Ryosuke.

"We are here! The seaside resort!" Kento exclaimed and everyone jerked out of sleep, including Ryosuke. I quickly withdrew my hands and my intrusive gaze. I avoided his eyes when he frowned at me, and I hope that didn't mean that he had noticed any of it.

"I'll park. The rest of you can check in first."

We did as Daiki instructed. We each held our luggage and strolled behind Kento who led the way to a homely looking, traditional Ryokan. I hadn't notice Sora lagging behind until I heard a faint exchange of voices behind me. There I saw Ryosuke and Sora stopping. I wanted to see what it was about, but I halted on my feet.

"Let me help you with it" I heard Ryosuke offering to help Sora who seemed to be struggling with her luggage and her guitar.

"It's okay, Yamada-kun" she politely declined his offer.

"You take care of your guitar. I will help you with your luggage" he answered and took her luggage from her before she could refuse more. I realised his intentions and admired his thoughtfulness more than ever. As of all musicians, their instruments are their soul and they would never hand it to someone else. Ryosuke must have considered that before offering to help the distressed Sora who didn't wanna ask anyone for help and would rather struggle by herself.

Ryosuke walked past me and I thought I had uncontrollably pouted. Was it a display of my jealousy. I didn't have the time to conceal it anyway cause Sora came to me next. We walked together, behind the clique.

"I didnt expect the other friend from school you mentioned is Yamada Ryosuke-kun"

"Yeah, I know him on my first day. He is quite a gentleman right?" We both gazed at his back as we discussed.

"Yes. Mirai, do you like him?... As a girl to a boy, I mean"

"... Sora?" I think I probably have exposed myself with my perplexed expression as I fumbled to answer her.

"It's okay, Mirai...you dont have to tell me. actually... He..."

"Sora, Mirai... It's so beautiful, come come!" Umika shouted out to us, interrupting Sora before she could finish.

"We are coming!" I replied. I held onto Sora's hand and sped up. "What is it you wanted to say?" I asked.

"It's nothing" she giggled then raced off faster than me. I thought that laughter sounded suppressed and her expression was awkward, like she was shrugging off the topic as if she didnt want to talk about it anymore. I rushed after them, then all thats in the mind begone with the beauty of the Ryokan awakening all your cells. The wooden smell of the ryokan rushes to your nose, and your eyes become fascinated by all the loss traditions of Tokyo present before my eyes. It's almost like the rest of Tokyo has progressed without this particular place. Its location allow it to blend right into nature, where the whistling birds, the fluttering of leaves make the Ryokan captivating to the modern settlers. It is beyonds words can describe. Even Ryosuke, who is cold to everything else, smiled at the scenic view. That peaceful smile from him completes that perfect imagery in my mind. 

"Welcome kids," an old couple walked out with their every steps solid and firm. Their hands held each other's tightly, just like how deep their love could go. We understand later that the couple is married for almost 70 years. They are both in their 90s but they both seemed that they are in the pink of health. It is touching how they can sustain love after so long. It took us long to absorb how the two can get married as young as 20 years old. Basically at this age, people today are likely to date or marry recklessly and break off cleanly like nothing ever happened. It wont be lasting like the old couple. It's not just for us girls, but the guys too found themselves admiring their everlasting love.  Maybe Umika will love Kento the way the old lady does it, but I cant really say the same for Kento. And as for Sora and Daiki, if they do get together, they could possibly get far, given their cheerful selves. Ryosuke? I cant see much of anything. The loneliness emitting from him is too much to imagine anything. But if he wants to, im sure he is more loving than the other 2. Thinking back how he helped me the last few times, especially tending to my gastric issues, I do get to see that rare sides of him.

So the old couple brought us to our rooms. There were enough rooms so we all got to have a room to ourselves. We chose our rooms by balloting. Kento's room was right at the corner, and mine beside his. A few more steps would be Umika's then Daiki's, followed by Ryosuke's and at the other extreme corner, Sora's. Sora didnt seem pleased with her luck, barely suppressing her heavy face and going to her room with her luggage retrieved back from Ryosuke. For me, I was simply too exhausted, crashing onto my futon as soon as I set it up. Then I heard a knock at my door. I pulled myself up and answered it.

"Senpai?" I looked at Kento with opened eyes. 

"I know of a secret place in this area. Wanna check out? The rest are leaving it for another time. But it's the sunset that makes the place special."

I am immediately excited by it, forgetting my earlier exhaustion. I skipped my way behind him then walked by his side. The silence initially was a little too much, and when I thought I need to absolutely say something, he beat me to it and it was a serious topic.

"Do you understand Sora?"

"Heh?... Our friendship just started, but I guess well enough?"

"I cant really communicate with her, even though we stay under the same roof. We barely talk"

Sora did share about her relationship with him but the question is how much I should say? "... Sora is one of the nicest person I know. She is very carefree and cheerful. She is also not the kind that schemes against people."

"I dont think she likes me at all. Sometimes i feel we are worst than strangers. I actually am jealous of you and your brother. You two are so close."

"You can too. You just have to try to make it work. Me and my brother have lived apart for a long time since he moved to Tokyo. So when I came to Tokyo to look for him and had to live with him, i was afraid that things between us will no longer be what i remembered it to be. My fear was what kept me back. When i let nature take its course, I think it makes interactions much more relaxing. The blood ties will always be there. What you need is possibly to be open to relearn the other person." Im surprised I could even say any of these since I was only earlier troubled as well. Kento looked at me, his expression is hard to decipher whether he could understand what I meant. 

"She is so independent, she never needs me. I feel useless as a brother. Or maybe I caused her to be so. When she needed me, I sometimes pushed her away."

"You should speak to her. That should help untangle the issues between the 2 of you." I gave an encouraging pat on his back then walked past him to view the lake where the moon from the sky has casted a  mesmerising shadow upon. The beauty is even more captivating than the ryokan. I'm falling in love with nature that I thought would not exist in a modern state like Tokyo.

"You really think it will help? She will probably push me away"

"Dont guess. Anyway, it doesnt hurt to try." I tried to concentrate at his words, shifting my focus from the view.

"Mirai... You're optimistic. Thats a good thing about you"

"You mean, that's the only good thing about me?" I laughed.

"No no, there are many good things about you," he came forward to me, facing me seriously. It took me aback, cause he couldnt have not sense I was just kidding with him.

"Im kidding... You dont have to be so serious" i laugh it off again. This time, he grab my shoulders, firmly. It startled me. What exactly does he want to prove?

"Im not kidding. There's so much I like about you."

I didnt have the time to react. There was no space between us, and it was almost like my breathe was instantly taken away. If i had to describe, it felt like a vampire, away my soul. It's nothing like what others raved about the softness of a marshmallow upon the surface of your lips, the moisture of his lips lubricating hers in a delicate way, and the tongue teasing you just the way you like it. In reality, it felt forceful, the harder I pushed away, the more intense it gets. His strength locked me in, and I could not release myself. Eventually i gave in, letting him engulf me. My limbs relaxed and my hands found a nice rest spot behind his back. Still, it is far from comfort, or enjoyment. I could not ignore the frown on my face and I swear it should have been obvious with our faces stuck onto each other. But it didnt seem to matter to him. From the corner of my eyes, I saw that one person that makes my heart pump faster than the first kiss forced upon me.

"Umika~..." I murmured in my mind. I almost blurted out and if I did, I would have ruined my promise with her too. It was as if Umika's presence has given me the strength to resist. I pushed him away hard enough to escape.

"Sorry Kento!" I didnt have time to explain to him. Umika is running away and I dont want her to get hurt. As I chased after her, I feel my heart is about to be reaped apart. I an sure I had no intentions to betray her, but the act itself was tainted. There was no denying I have hurt her, though I insist it is unintended and beyond my control. 

"umika, listen to me. We didnt, I mean I didnt want to kiss him... It is a misunderstanding. umika, please..." I pulled her back just before she can enter her room. We kept our volume down so that we wont wake anyone else up. 

"Misunderstanding? There isnt. He likes you and thats a fact. You told me you didnt like him yet, just now you just let him kiss you"

"He is strong, i couldnt push him away..."

"Oh really, ask yourself, did you really not push him because you cant or you deliberately chose not to?!"

"I..."

"You wont be able to answer, cause you dont have the guts to tell me. You like him too! I cant believe you Mirai. You are a hypocrite!" Umika pushed me away and I stumbled back as she shut the door in front of me. It was a loud slam and I can almost bet on it that everyone heard that slamming sound. I want to escape especially with my eyes welling with tears that could burst out any moment. I was trembling for fear of being discovered and more so for being probed by the masses and be judged as a or a secret crush-stealer.

Just as I heard Sora's and Daiki's voice, a hand within reach grabbed me and pulled me so hard, I flew right in the direction of the force, right through the door. The room door shuts behind me, and you could still hear those outside wondering what the commotion was. Now, it's only the third voice that matters.

"If they have found you, they wont stop asking about what happened. It'll be difficult to explain yourself."

Immediately when I heard the voice, I froze with my face stuck to the door, unwilling to show it. The next I know, I broke down in tears. 

"These rooms are not sound proof. Here I am trying to hide you and there you are trying to bring them to you. It's not gonna help."

I cried louder. It was an outburst of emotions entrapped within me, like all the anxiety, the fear, even the angst all mashed into one and break through my pretentious mask. I hear him sigh in the midst of my crying. He turn me around and cupped my mouth "you're seriously a cry baby." In the end, I forced myself on him, hugging him so tight like how I would cradle in my mother's embrace. I dont expect him to reciprocate. But even standing still in the most passive way, was a great console to me. I leaned on his chest, soaking his white tanktop in my tears. He didnt speak at all, as if giving me all the time to calm myself down. Then eventually, he softly pat the top of my head and down my hair, like a mother pacifying her crying baby. In such comfort, I quickly quietened down.

"Heh?" He brought me away from the door and towards the window. The cold wind blow against my face, drying up my tears while drowning my post crying hiccups. He just sat beside. Instead of looking at the scenery (which unfortunately is ruined by me the ugly girl), he faced the ugly girl. I pretended I didnt know and continued perpetuating the silence.

Suddenly, he brought his fingers to my face and caressed it lightly. It's never his style to show any affection nor intimacy, so when he did that, I held my breathe in a shock. Was it something on my face, I wondered? It had to be. I reluctantly turned to him.

"Your tears have dried up. No red eyes, no Rudolph nose. This method always work but if you stay like this for too long, you're gonna catch a terrible cold" and he proceeded to pull me away from the window.

Leaning against the wall, we sat side by side on the bed, with both our legs stretched to the edge of the single bed. I dazed into space, maybe because I was just too tired after crying, yet not calm enough to sleep. The stillness reminded me that I had been disturbing his sleep.

"I shant disturb you. Sorry for today..."

"It's okay. You can stay here longer. Im not intending to sleep yet." He said with a mellow voice. 

"I think i really deserved to be angry with. I am terribly wrong this time, I shouldnt..."

He interrupted me, "yes, you are terribly wrong. The worst thing you have done is to even decide to take a stroll with Kento. If you had asked me instead, none of this would have happened"

It sounded strange but it took me a long time to comprehend what that means and when I did, I was in utter shock. From all the time he insisted in putting a point across to me, it's the first time he admits... 

"Ryosuke, you mean... You mean you will accompany me if I asked?! You mean... We're friends now?" I forgot my previous depressed mood, I jumped up and shook his shoulders.

"Ah, ah... Stop shaking... Seriously, if we're not friends, why would I even come. You think I come because of them? Or you think I really came to repay your decision of befriending Saki." I was so happy i wanted to throw my arms over him, but he managed to stop me with just his one finger on my forehead.

"Heh?"

"Can you listen to me first..." He seems like he was pleading so I gave him my full concentration.

"I think, I do feel glad to have a friend. I never had a friendship that lasts so for a long time, I decide that I can live by myself without anyone around me. Thanks for offering this friendship..."

"Ryosuke..." I was touched by his words and still baffled by how it is possible anyone chooses to be alone.

"Mirai, can you promise me something as a friend?"

"Yes?"

"It's a very selfish comment, but I hope you will always believe in me..."

"Believe you about what?"

"Everything... It doesnt matter now what it is, but I hope you will stand by my side if there's anytime you have to choose sides..."

I paused, cause I saw the fear emerged in his eyes once again. He was holding back, i needed to give him the confidence, "Ryosuke... That's what friends are for! I'll believe you, stand by you, always!" I said with confidence and I held out my pinky finger for a pinky promise. He looked into my eyes deeply, and awaited for him to hook his pinky finger over mine.

He didnt.

Instead, he pulled me right into his embrace. I was initially loosely tugged within his arms,his hands rested on my back but it felt like he was still hesitating or lost in his actions. But soon, I found myself being hugging me so tightly, I could feel the whole of him such that our body temperatures, our heartbeats are all becoming in-sync.I realised, my heart was racing and I was so afraid he could sensed it, but I thought I could sense his too. It seemed like we affected each other positively and we became used to being in each other's arms that our heartbeat gradually slows down and the tension gradually lessens. I immerse myself in his cologne scent which smells amazing.  I let my guards down then rested comfortably on his neck. Even my prior nervousness was gone without trace. He too, i could sense, resting on my arm. 

As I laid on him, i thought of something clearly different between an hour ago when Kento displayed his affection and now when Ryosuke hugged me. the former definitely border into love while the latter is within the boundaries of friendship, I only felt the fuzziness with Ryosuke. It was so strong that sense of attachment that I didnt feel like letting go. I could almost fall asleep in his arms with my state of exhaustion.

And i think I did. The last I remembered was him lightly running his fingers down my hair and softly calling my name. Everything else was a blur.

Until...

"SHIDA MIRAI!" I was startled by a strong jerk of my shoulders. There, Daiki stared at me furiously.

"Niichan? How, when did you come in?" I expected it to be my room, but when I looked around to see guys' belongings, I knew it's not mine. 

"Oh no, Ryosuke!" I stood up in all nervousness, hoping that she didnt do anything foolish yesterday night. She looked around for him, but he isnt in the room.

"He vacated the room for you. If it isnt because I came out of my room and bumped into him sitting alone in the garden, he probably had sat there the whole night in the cold wind."

"Where's he?" I was impatient, i want to look for him, to apologise and to make sure I hadnt done anything unglamorous.  I needed an urgent image control.

"You know how horrible you were... You were disgusting yesterday night"

"Oh no! I drooled over him. I slept talk. I snored! I must have~" i freaked out.  

"I guess so... That explains why he looked disgusted as well" 

"Niichan!" I slapped his back in annoyance.

"What~ you accepted the fact that you're disgusting, i didnt say so." He laughed. "Im joking about Ryosuke's expression.."

I sighed a relief. 

"He rested in my room last night after I insisted. He was stubborn, though I am much more, so he eventually gave in. When I woke up, he was just preparing to go for a run. He was chatting with old grandmother too."

" i see. What about the rest? umika?"

"Before I came in here, I thought I saw the three of them walking to the hot spring. You wanna join them?"

Many thoughts ran through my mind. How do I face Umika and Kento?! I rather not "...i dont think so. My skin is alittle dehydrated these days. The heat from the spring will only make it worst."

I remembered what Ryosuke said the night before about how we two should hang out, i sprung up immediately. "I'll look for Ryosuke!"

"Chotto, with your unkempt hair?" My brother reminded before I absentmindedly ran after him. I quickly tidied up myself, putting myself in the best condition before dashing off while Daiki decides to join the rest in the hotspring.  

Sadly, it's my fitness that is far from being in the best condition. I can barely pass my fitness test in Kyoto, now I have to catch up with the guy who is so far apart that I have to see with my squinting eyes. There's no way I can run up to him with my terrible stamina.

So i decided, "Ryosuke!!!!" I shouted as if that is the most viable thing to do at the moment. He didnt hear the first 2 shouts so i had to push myself forward before attempting again. "RYOSUKE!"

"Mirai?" I could see him mumble my name at the corner of his mouth. I ran forward when he stopped so I finally caught up, panting extremely badly.

"You okay?" He was extremely concerned, bending down to me as I crouched. He pat my back while I try to recover my breathing. When I did, he chuckled. 

"Your stamina is really bad."

"Stop teasing me.. Not you too.." With Daiki being my number 1 tormenter, i hope Ryosuke will be at my side.

"Sure sure, I'll not." He rested his arms on my shoulder, bringing me forward on the tracks. I could see his defined chest lines from his black tank top and my heart skipped a beat, my face flushed red. I quickly pretended to look at the scenery, in case he  mistake it for discomfort and remove that proximity. That instance, I thought, even if I never ever confess to him, this distance is both comforting warm and satisfying.

"Ryosuke."

"Yes?"

I mustered my courage with that bleak hope in mind, "you wanna go to the cultural festival with me once we get back to Tokyo?" There was a deep silence and I feel the need to explain.

"The cultural festival in school sounds amazing. Nice street food, beautiful hanabi.. I really hope to see it...we dont have to go with the rest, if you dont want to... If it's just the 2 of us, it will be great too..." He still did not respond. Perhaps he isnt enjoying the roadtrip and wouldnt want to hang out with us anymore.

"I'll come. It's okay if it's with the rest, you dont have to accommodate me"

I am extremely excited at the change after we officially became friends. Not only did he not turn me down, he even tried to please me. I knew he will be a very sweet friend, and Im right. He reminded me of Yudai. 

I dont want him to force himself to hang out with the rest. In fact, i rather not go with them with the awkwardness still unresolved between me, Umika and Kento. "We can just hang out alone. Without them."

Now that Im saying it, it feels like a guy and a girl on our first date. Me wearing yukata, holding his soft, gentle hands guiding me, with our fingers interlocking. He will shelter me from the crowd, making sure I am always okay. I can almost imagine every detail that will happen in 24 hours time.

"I think you'll look really cute with a yukata" he exclaimed with an eye smile so captivating, I thought he up my soul. If only I could be brave enough to confess my true feelings to him when the fireworks shower from the sky tomorrow. He walked in the front, with his hands freely dangling by his sides. I want to slip my hands into his. I unknowingly moved close to his side, and let me urge take over, but...

"Mirai!" My brother called out to me. Only then I realised we have completed the round. "I guess we are going back already. It's fast" i said to him, sounding like I am missing the place already."

"Yes, it is. It's a really beautiful place, and beautiful things have happened here in this short time we spend. We can come back here again, if you wish."

"We can?"

"Sure." He smiled again.

"Nothing will change when we get back right?" I was afraid once we go back to the busy city, all the magic that happened here will disappear. 

"It wont." He assured and ushered me back to the ryokan. We all went on separate ways back home. Kento went off with Sora. I wondered if Kento would speak to Sora about his feelings. The most surprising thing that happened was Umika joining me and Daiki. I thought she wont want to speak with me. Frankly, I wanted to stay behind with Ryosuke when he said he wanted to explore the neighbourhood before heading back. But when I broached the idea, he didnt seem pleased though he didnt explain either. I guess it's his conservative principles that i shouldnt be spending alone time with a guy in a place Im not familiar. Well, I had no other choice, besides it is a chance for me to make up with Umika. 

When we took the local bus back to the city, I noticed Daiki acting strangely. At first, I thought it was just his morning angst, but it didnt seem so simple. There was something else on my mind, and that is Umika. I turned to her, hesitated but still took the first move to call her name. It ended up we both did so at the same time.

"Umika, please believe me. I really have no feelings for Kento. Yesterday's incident, it's very much one-sided. And if there's any hesitation on my part, it's because of shock. It's my first kiss too, you know." I thought I said it alittle too loud, everyone turned to look at me. It's embarrassing as it can be. How is it possible for a girl my age to only have a kiss now. Besides, it's not even mutual love.

Umika giggled then grabbed my hands, "im sorry. I know it's not within your control."

"You know?!"

"I know Kento likes you, but I didnt tell you about it. I blamed you cause I felt jealous again. Im sorry for my immaturity." 

By now, I already know of Kento's feelings. Umika's statement reconfirms it. While it's really awkward to continue the messed-up love triangle, i have to reassure her uneasiness. "Umika, I dont like Kento. I like someone else"

"Someone else... It's Yamada Ryosuke-kun, right?"

I blushed badly while nodding. 

"Mirai, actually yamada-kun is..."

"We're nearing our stop" Daiki interrupted. I nodded to him, then returned my focus to Umika.

"Lets stop repeatedly apologising, ne Umika?"

"I think I have to say it once more... Sorry Mirai..." Umika hugged me tightly.

"For?"

She didnt answer me, she just hugged me really tightly and repeatedly apologised. I am puzzled but accepted it subtly anyway. We parted ways, and walked with my brother who still remained largely silent.

"You okay, niichan?"

"Why?"

"You seemed abnormally quiet after we left."

"Mirai," he turned to me all serious, stopped on his feet then looked at me and said, "tomorrow's evening, you meeting the clique for the festival?"

"Why?"

"Can you miss it this year? I think I need you around tomorrow?"

"Heh? Baka niichan. Whatever you need me for, I'll help you after I come home..."

"But..."

I didnt wait for him to finish cause he is too slow in his words. I hopped happily away as I felt all my load off my shoulders. Friendships are all on the right track for me! Kamisama, arigatou! I looked into the sky and smiled with my gratitude. Cultural festival, yes! I cheered.

***
Kento drove Sora to a cafe near their house and they both sat at a corner. The hostility made the air awkward. Sora avoided his glance mostly while sipping the cup of matcha green tea. 

"Senpai~" a girl suddenly came forward then started whining in a high pitched voice. "Who is this girl? You broke up with me because of her?"

Kento rolled his eyes. Yet she continued to shake his arms like a pesky girl. Sora was intolerant. She stood up and exclaimed, "cant you see we are having our tea. You are extremely noisy. Anyway, he will not like you if I say so!"

"You!!!" The girl raised her hands and was about to fiercely slap Sora. Kento was going to stop the girl but he realised he didnt have to. Sora caught her hand and caused her great discomfort. "You are too slow..." Sora smirked before pushing her a few steps back.

"Kento~" she whined in hopes that he comes to protect her. Unfortunately, Sora didnt give her any chance. She clinged onto Kento, sticking herself close to him. "He's mine ne!" Then pulled him along with her and stomped off the cafe.

Kento broke out in laughter the moment they were at least a street away from the girl.

"What's so funny?" Sora asked with a perplexed expression.

"You... Were possessive" he mocked, making Sora annoyed. She walked past him, unwilling to entertain the smirk on his face.

"Sora, you were impressive."

When she heard it, she stopped at her feet. He caught up with her and sincerely looked into her eyes. "Sora, can we talk?" She agreed and they walked to a grass patch facing a stream.

"We used to play here ne?" They sat beside each other, and began reminiscing their innocence. 

"Yes, i kind of miss those times" Sora replied.

"A pity you dont have your guitar with you. Music plus the peace around here, it's the perfect combination."

"But you never liked me singing, isnt it... Niichan, i also want to be a sister you can be proud of. I try so hard, i know you dont like me to be singing and all, but it's my passion. I'll do my best to not be a burden."

"You're not a burden. I'm sorry to make you think of that... You are a sister Im proud of."

"How is it possible? Niichan, you're perfect. You're good in your studies and judo. For me, im not good at either. Its natural, you think im an embarrassment" 

"No. You are amazingly talented. I heard you play that day, I feel proud of you. When okasan and otousan told you to stay with me while they worked abroad, I feel afraid I cant do what they expect me to do.  I scared you get hurt and all, so I became strict with you. You distanced yourself from me and ended up doing everything yourself. You protected yourself and you gradually dont even need me anymore. I feel useless...Im selfish and im definitely not a good brother." 

Sora has never seen this side of her brother. He is always strong in his eyes. Today, he showed his weakness to her. He blamed himself and has put so much stress on himself all these while and she didnt know it. Surprisingly, they both let out loud wails and threw themselves into each other's arms. They both felt each other's love, full of it. They shoved all previous unhappiness away and like how Mirai advised, they revealed their deepest secrets about each other and eventually close up the gap between them. Unlike Mirai and Daiki who have lived apart from each other for awhile, Sora and Kento have lived under the same roof but realised that they have always reserved their true side from each other. They were almost like strangers for long. It was then, they learnt that it's not just about the amount of time they spend with each other, it's about how open they are in their daily communications.

There's clearly someone else who hasnt been truthful. "Niichan, are we really gonna do that? I am scared she cant handle it."

"It's for her good."

"I'm just thinking if we could be wrong. That person may have changed, moved on, turn over a new leaf. What i mean is, that person just doesnt feel like a bad person. I just dont want to reopen a scar."

"If it is a scar, it cant be removed entirely. The world has no place for such people cause they never will accept their faults. They'll just keep denying. It's exactly whats happening now. They'll create a facade of the world to hurt those oblivious."

"But... We are not certain about it, it's just our conjecture... That people remain the way they are. We dont know that person long enough to say for sure"

"We cant be soft or hesitant with this, we are putting her safety at risk. It's better to be safe, Sora. Trust me..."

"What can we do for her? She's gonna be hurt too..."

"She'll get over it. We will help her through it..." Kento reassured Sora. She agreed to trust her brother in this. He's seldom wrong, so she decides to place faith in him. 

"Okay, niichan. Ending it now is better than letting the problem deepen with time. It'll be harder and more painful then" she thought.

****

The usual cheery school has gotten even more lively with the excitement overflowing from each student across the levels. The cultural festival is the epitome of happiness for the student as it signals the end of the examinations. Girls were discussing about their yukata designs and their partners. Guys were discussing what they should do to impress their partners. Almost everyone is lifting up the school spirit. 

Mirai sat at her seat as she stared at her sent message with continuous sweet smiles hung at the corner of her lips. So, right when dawn came for the day, she texted Ryosuke.

"Morning friend! Lets meet at the shinto shrine at the end of the festival street."

And he responded with hints of enthusiasm, "sure! See you in the evening :) "

From then, she cant stop smiling at his message. She has researched about the shinto shrine, and apparently it's a shrine where people pray for love. She is determined to gather her courage to confess to Ryosuke. It's now or never. She cant wait for class to start so that the lessons will quickly end and the festival begins. It's a mix of anxiety and anticipation.

"Mirai!!!" Umika and Sora rushed into class, jostling her out of her daze. 

"What?" Mirai quickly became anxious. She saw from their faces that something really bad has happened and immediately she got the idea someone is hurt. She urgently stood up and all prepared to dash out, until she heard the name.

"It's Ryosuke..." They said in unison. "Something is wrong with him... You've gotta come now" 

Her legs turned wobbly. Her mind is filled with a scene of him, lying on the ground in a pool of blood. She is afraid of what she might see, but she has to be there... That's what friends are for, to be there when he is in need. She ran off with her heart pumping fast and furious, while Umika and Sora trailed behind.

When I saw him,
My heart beats in a different way.
Irregular, unsure, uncertain.
I thought happiness has descended on me, so easily, so painless.
I thought fate was on my side.
But when I saw you at this moment,
I feel like I was forcefully awakened from my dream with a slap.
The dream has been a mirage made by fragments of my imagination. 
The dream you convinced me to disbelief, the dream which made me love and hope,
Were beginning to haunt.

friendship should be a fairytale,
The start of a beautiful relationship,
It should never hurt the way it is. 
I looked at you the same way i always did,
Yet i never know how you see me.
Why did you put on the mask I thought you had taken off.
I thought you have removed your protective cover and shown me the purest side
I thought if it was me, you are okay.
Perhaps, from the beginning, you never let me in.
I was wrong, i never did understand you.
At sunset, where the chatter of the festival rises to its peak,
I left my anticipation and excitement behind,
I left my heart behind,
There i shed in solitude, the tears of being betrayed, the tears you created and induced on me.
The last glance from him, remained edged in my mind, the glance of a man who lives in a fake world, the glance of a scammer, a liar, a stranger. 

******

Let me know how you feel after reading:) make your guesses too about what happened.