Chapter 68

Loss of Order

                Enrhyll inspected the flesh of his neck again in the standing oval mirror in his room after having picked at his breakfast.  The ugly scratches were completely gone, but he compulsively continued to check, just to make sure.  There had also been some bruising where that man’s fingers had pressed too hard, crushing his perfect skin.  That was not supposed to happen.  They were not supposed to actually hurt him…a god…

                Their placement had abruptly shifted in his mind so that Siwon now topped his list of persons to break by whatever means necessary.  Certainly, the others had attacked him, but that one…that man…he was the only one to lay a hand on him.  Perhaps he would have his hands removed.  That would be a fitting punishment for abusing his person.  He didn’t wish him dead anymore, but he would grovel and beg and plead for Enrhyll’s mercy.

                A good night’s rest had done little to restore his temperament but he was ready to face the elementalists again.  They would be persuaded to accept his rule if he had to break every one of them.  They would all call him god by the time he was done with them.  He imagined a night spent in solitude and dealing with their own defeats might make them more amenable to behaving.  It was also time to see if the neutralizer was ready to come around.  Blandly, he glanced over at Hana who had maintained a constant vigil at his door.  Bothersome woman…  He had not forgotten that she was the one to suggest he kill the elementalists last night.  He had almost listened to her too; she had almost actually influenced one of his decisions.  That alone was enough to make him disinclined to favor her.  No one tried to manipulate him.  No one!

                He forced himself to take a calming breath and ignored Hana again for now.  Considering his domination of the elementalists so far, it should not be hard to convince Summer his way was right.  If she disagreed…well he could simply make her believe too, one way or the other.  Carefully, he looked himself over in the mirror one more time, pulling at his garments absently.

                He was wearing royal garb today, of a deep red coloration, trimmed in gold and heavily embroidered with symbols of power and divinity.  Silken black locks were elaborately pulled back in a series of tiny braids where they were clipped at the back of his head.  The rest of the flowing mass cascaded down his back majestically, shimmery and well-trimmed.  With a final glance at his neck to see the unblemished flesh, he adorned his neck and chest with a heavy gold necklace.  Various rings of each elemental coloration sparkled on his fingers and he smiled, a bright divine expression.

                “Let’s go, Hana,” he gestured off-handedly as she moved out of his path while he stepped through the door.

                “Of course, my lord,” Hana murmured with her head bowed.  She wasn’t blind to her loss of favor, but she did not understand why.  Everything she did was for him and yet he still refused to see it.  He had not yet said that he loved her, as she loved him and no matter what she said or did…it simply did not seem to be enough.

~~~~~~

                Locked in a room with her guard with only her thoughts to keep her company had made Summer very edgy.  Sleeping in the straight backed chair had not been comfortable by any means and so she was not rested in the slightest.  Her guard had changed out again so he looked considerably refreshed, a fact she resented and in direct contrast to her.  Dark circles and a sharp tongue were all she had to show for her night of attempted sleep.

                Neither was she even remotely sure about the safety of her friends.  She had no elemental power to exert herself but that didn’t mean she couldn’t feel it when it was being used otherwise.  There had been several fluctuations in power during the afternoon and into the evening, or as best she could tell for times at any rate.  Too much fire, shadow and earth…  With that Hana around, none of her friends would have been given reign to use their power that much.  That left only Enrhyll which was not a comforting thought…

                Just thinking about it tore her nerves to pieces.  It didn’t matter that she knew he didn’t wish to kill them, but his threat from the other day echoed all too clear in her mind.  With his ability to heal too, he could cause a great deal of harm indeed.  She had seen some of the injuries they’d sustained on their journey here and those had been bad enough…  It did not bear thinking about to imagine what he could do on his own.

                Her musings were distracted by the door opening before her.  “Summer,” Enrhyll stated perfunctorily as he stepped inside with Hana following along meekly in his wake.

                “Enrhyll,” she greeted flatly, her expression as neutral as she could make it.

                “Do you believe now?” he asked her smoothly with a raised brow, his features smug and knowing.

                The neutralizer took a moment to let that question roll over in her mind.  No, she absolutely did not believe, but telling him that wasn’t going to do her any good and would likely get her trapped in this room longer.  If not worse really.  “I’m not sure,” she admitted instead.  “Will you show me why I should believe again?”  He had threatened to make the others believe; had he succeeded?

                Enrhyll smiled at her question.  It was a beautiful smile, just as he himself was, but it was empty of emotion.  “Perhaps,” he murmured.  It might be a good time to test her anyway.  Yes.  He wanted to see those fools from last night.  He would worry about Kyuhyun and Eleanara later on today.  There was plenty of time to see them and considering their condition from his persuasion, the extra time would probably do them good.  “Follow me,” he instructed with a nod at the guard.

                Immediately, he snapped to attention and cut Summer free from the chair.  Being suddenly unbound was painful as the blood rushed back to numb limbs, plaguing her with a throbbing ache where she had felt nothing before.  She stifled a groan and willed her body to work.  It was not easy to walk on partially responsive feet but she managed it and sent Hana a nasty glare when the other woman sneered at her where Enrhyll could not see.

                When Enrhyll turned around, the sneer vanished as if it had never been and Summer was left to hobble along behind them, followed in turn by her guard.  Her hands itched to attack the monster in front of her but she did not have her sais or even the amulet she had worn until her capture.  She was only glad she was still in her own clothes and had not been forced to wear something like what he had on…  It looked like it would be too cumbersome by far.

                She was guided through the halls of the guest rooms to the throne room.  Immediately, Enrhyll took a seat in the throne at the top of the raised dais and Hana took the spot to his right.  “You will be here,” Enrhyll pointed aloofly to his left side and waited for Summer to hesitantly make her way to that spot.

                It felt distinctly odd to be anywhere near him and not trying to fight him.  Summer kept glancing at him out of the corner of her eyes, noticing that he did not seem to pay attention to her now that she was here.  Did he think her incapable or was he just that sure of himself?  More than ever, she wanted to do something but she reined herself in with an effort.  He had brought her here for a reason and she needed to see what it was first.

                “Kwan,” Enrhyll barked once, looking around in a bored fashion for the captain who was always at hand.  When a moment passed without the man arriving, Enrhyll’s expression turned cross and he stated again, “Kwan!”

                “My lord?” Captain Kwan asked as he entered from the front of the throne room.  He looked more haggard than usual and he was incredibly weary.  His usual appearance was a bit disheveled and it appeared as if he had not taken care of himself the night before as was his usual wont.

                Enrhyll sniffed at his general appearance and then murmured, “Where were you?”

                “My apologies, my lord.  I was checking on your guests,” Kwan bowed deeply, keeping his eyes lowered.

                For a moment, Enrhyll weighed his answer and then a slow smile spread across his face.  “Good.  Bring them to me.”

                Kwan flinched at the command and took a breath before he stood up and saluted sharply.  “Yes, my lord.”  The young men were in no condition to move immediately but he did not have a choice in the matter.  He did not miss Summer’s hopeful expression as she knew who he was talking about.  She did not see his pity; they were not as well as she would have hoped for.  As stately as he could, Kwan removed his person and headed back to the guest rooms, his hands balled into fists.

~~~~~~

                Though he slept in a bed, Siwon did not sleep well after his forced unconsciousness wore off.  He had survived his failed attempt to kill Enrhyll yesterday but he felt as if it might have been better if he hadn’t.  Aside from being dangerously weak, the blood loss making it hard to think and focus, everything hurt.  He didn’t think anything had actually been crushed but it certainly felt otherwise.

                Breathing hurt and even attempting to move reminded him far too much of his time spent with Eun Mi when she had first rescued him.  There were none of her herbal teas or salves to help keep the pain at bay or enhance his healing.  Even turning his head to the side to look at his guard was an effort that hurt him.

                When a woozy looking Leeteuk was led in by Kwan, he didn’t think much of it initially, until they were followed in turn by additional guards.  Weakly, he attempted to push himself up to see better, but as he placed his weight on his wounded arm, the limb gave out entirely and he slumped back, eyes closed tightly as he swallowed the pain.  He became aware of someone leaning against his bed and then felt a hand slide into his right one reassuringly.  Siwon cracked one eye and forced a smile as he saw Leeteuk nearby.

                “Hey, Siwon,” the elder of the two smiled as he swayed slightly while seated on the edge of the bed.  He was definitely having a hard time focusing and he could only imagine it was from that damnable head wound that throbbed with every beat of his heart.  It was a dreadful sensation really.

                “What took you so long, Teuk?” Siwon murmured in an attempt at levity.

                “Sorry.  I was a bit held up,” he answered honestly with a glance at Kwan who was peering at Siwon’s bloody wraps.  The tourniquet had held for the most part but the bed on his left side was fairly soaked with red regardless.  The captain pursed his lips and shook his head slightly.  Leeteuk leaned in closer to Siwon and spoke quietly, “Looks like we’re up again.  You ready?” he asked, as he started to reach his left hand behind Siwon’s shoulders.

                The water elementalist groaned and his hand tightened on Leeteuk’s, but he allowed himself to be raised up.  He grimaced when Kwan moved closer to assist him too.  “Come on, lads,” he urged reluctantly.  Enrhyll was not a patient man…

                “We’re coming…” Leeteuk muttered with a cross look at Kwan.  He jerked reflexively as his balance shifted slightly and Siwon helped steady him for the few seconds it took to catch himself.

                While they would have preferred to help each other, neither was in much condition to do so.  Two guards took Siwon’s arms over their shoulders and carried him between them, dragging him when his feet refused to walk fast enough to keep up.  Kwan kept a steadying hand on Leeteuk to make sure that he didn’t falter.  With the pair suffering from a mild concussion and blood loss, respectively, as well as fatigue and lack of food, the journey to the throne room took on a fairly surreal feel.  It almost felt as if they would wake up from the bad dream they’d stepped into at any moment and be somewhere else…anywhere else really.

                When Summer watched the small procession come into the throne room, she hardly dared to believe her eyes.  Her hand came to of its own accord and she stared in horror.  Both looked completely out of it and Siwon was ghostly pale…  He had a blood soaked wrap on his left arm and they appeared ready to fall down at any moment.  Before she was aware herself, Summer bolted down the steps and came right up to the pair, looking them over worriedly, touching their faces in concern and struggling with her emotions.  “Gods above,” she murmured when Leeteuk held to her hands as Kwan stepped back to assist Siwon to the ground.  It was easier than standing.

                Behind her, she heard, “Are you ready to admit you were wrong?”  Enrhyll smiled smoothly at the three and his gaze lingered on Siwon with definite interest.  His eye twitched when they failed to respond to his query.  In agitation, he moved closer to the water elementalist, startling Summer into taking a step towards him.  “Don’t,” he warned dangerously, his eyes flashing.  The neutralizer pulled up short as Hana came to stand near her warningly, one hand resting lightly on the hilt of her dagger.

                Enrhyll looked back at the water elementalist and reached down to grip his chin firmly in one hand.  It was a measure of his lack of concern that the young man didn’t try to pull away, but instead glared up at him with baleful eyes.  “You don’t get to die yet,” he murmured softly, healing him enough to patch up the arm wound and repair the worst of the damage he had made him do yesterday.  That taken care of, he brushed his hands off as if he’d touched something dirty and took a step back to appraise the three of them.  “Summer.  Hana,” he commanded, calling the pair to his side.

                Hana moved without question but Summer froze, looking between Siwon and Leeteuk desperately.  She shook her head as she looked back at Enrhyll again.  “Not if you’re going to hurt them again,” she muttered darkly.

                “Of course not,” Enrhyll scoffed in annoyance.  “I’m going to persuade them is all,” he smiled knowingly, a chilling expression.  “What happens next is up to them.”

                The threat in his words was implicit and the elementalists did not miss it.  Because he did not wish to kill them, they were not as afraid as they probably should have been.  Not yet, anyway.  They hadn’t challenged him yet; made him feel fear for his life as they had the other day.  The wounds they had inflicted were healed over, but the knowledge was there.  Still slightly dizzy, Leeteuk gently pushed Summer aside and moved to stand protectively in front of Siwon.  Intently, he forced himself to focus on the tyrant in front of him and he stated quite clearly, “We will defeat you.”

                A frown flashed across Enrhyll’s face and he narrowed his eyes.  “So it’s going to be like that then?”  His eye twitched again and he laughed once.  “Very well.”  Completely confident, he turned and started to head back up the steps to his throne.  “Perhaps I should have you spend some time in the dungeon,” he suggested in an offhand manner.  “I would imagine Kyuhyun and Eleanara could tell you all about that,” he taunted at the same moment that he sat in his throne.  He steepled his fingers in front of him and watched the anger and fear slide over their features erratically.

                Leeteuk felt his heart hammer in his chest and he swallowed hard.  “What have you done to them?” he demanded in a toneless voice as the stone around him started to tremble slightly.  It was silenced almost immediately by Hana but at least she wore a focused expression at having to deal with it.

                Enrhyll smiled, enjoying the hatred he saw in the earth elementalist’s eyes.  It was almost as good as fear.  He would have taunted him further except he saw the doors to his throne room open again, admitting a new party that he had not been expecting.  His brow creased and he waved at Leeteuk with his hand, causing a ripple of earth to unsettle him and send him stumbling to the floor, his equilibrium not good enough to compensate.  “Calm down,” he murmured as he stood up to watch them.  That was Suk-Chul in front, the captain of the city guard.

                “My lord,” the stocky man in the front bowed quickly as he came to pause beside the collective group that was already present.  His helmet was under his arm, showing that he had close cropped black hair and when he stood up to meet Enrhyll’s gaze, his eyes were a hard brown.

                The entire group fell silent as they were baffled by the appearance of him and the elementalists at least, were concerned by the presence of the minstrels and alarmed to see Eun Mi.  Leeteuk still seemed conflicted between outright anger and confusion but he waited with bated breath as the others did too, one knee on the floor and the other half-way to standing.  He had one hand resting on Siwon’s shoulder, for support or assurance.  “Why have you disturbed me, Suk-Chul?” Enrhyll demanded tightly.

                Unphased, Suk-Chul nodded his head and explained, “My lord.  We heard reports indicating that these individuals were seen in the company of a blonde youth and a young woman matching the age you had requested we search for.  Not only that, but a construct was seen in their vicinity.”

                That got Enrhyll’s attention.  “A construct?”  He had not kept any in the city.  The rest were still roaming the countryside searching for the two elementalists that were…now…here?  Intently, he focused on the trio that was surrounded by the small contingent of city guards, not sure if they were just cheeky or putting on a brave front.  The two men certainly seemed unconcerned.  But…he knew the woman and his eyes widened in surprise.  Quickly, he strode down the stairs, the other elementalists briefly forgotten.  “Eun Mi,” he purred with a malicious grin as he stepped right up to the young woman who glared at him with open hatred.  “So nice of you to visit, dear sister,” he taunted sarcastically.

                Eun Mi’s jaw worked stiffly as she tried to think of something appropriate to say but words failed her.  “Murderer!” she finally spat and reached to claw at him savagely, her bound hands making it awkward.

                A cold burst of water caught her in the chest, tossing her back into the still reeling minstrels who grabbed her with their tied hands as best they could.  “Stop that,” Enrhyll sighed, sparing the minstrels a glance before disregarding them as insignificant.  Instead, he rounded on Suk-Chul.  “And where is this blonde youth?” he asked archly as he noticed the elementalists getting nervous.  His eyes widened in surprise when he heard two voices call out to his right on the opposite side of the other elementalists.

                “Enrhyll!”

 

(a/n:  First off...sorry for the horrible cliffhanger!  *apologizes profusely*  The next update will be up shortly though, I can promise that.  I am definitely closing in on the end though so thank you to all of my readers who have come this far with me!  <3  I am certainly looking forward to updating soon but now I'm going to go and pass out for a while as this has been a hellacious month.  I hope you enjoy (ending aside) and thank you again to my wonderful readers, silent and otherwise, and especially my commentors!  Take care and have a great rest of your weekend!  ^_^)