Chapter 49

Loss of Order

                As soon as Hangeng announced that Henry and Zhou Mi were coming, Amber appeared as if out of nowhere, and both her and Autumn looked giddy at the news.  Summer and Eunhyuk stood up quickly and stared at the doorway around the scout, amused by the reaction of the girls but otherwise focused.  They heard a general commotion outside as the voices of the scouts, who didn’t follow Hangeng indoors, greeted the minstrels boisterously.

                The elementalists waited with baited breath until they saw the doors open and the familiar, wonderful figures of Henry and Zhou Mi stepped inside with a theatrical flourish.  They were very good at hiding their surprise at seeing the two as they maintained their expressions as if they were performing, focusing on the two girls who flocked towards them.  Ever the gentleman, Zhou Mi bowed graciously and his were the first words, “Ladies!  You look more radiant every time we see you.”

                If they giggled at Zhou Mi’s greeting, they shrieked in delight at Henry’s.  “Surely you jest sir?  Stunning is far more appropriate,” he winked at the girls, a mischievous grin on his face.

                They politely but still possessively clung to either of his arms, to both of the minstrels’ amusement.  “Why were you late?” Amber demanded with a pretty pout on her delicate face.

                While Eunhyuk and Summer hid their smiles behind their hands, an unflappable Zhou Mi answered that question.  “My dear ladies.  We would have been sooner but for the bridge being out,” he bowed in apology, glancing over at the two standing in the back with a curious expression before smoothing it out quickly.

                “You came the back way didn’t you?” Autumn asked excitedly, certain she was correct.  Her question seemed to annoy Amber as the older sister had little idea as to what she was talking about.

                “Yep,” Henry nodded with a smile.  “The way’s a bit rougher and far less repaired but Lute’s a surprisingly steady creature,” he laughed, amused when he caught a glimpse of Sage blurring past him to go see the mare.  For all that the boy didn’t really like horses, he was fascinated by Lute and usually spent at least some time in doting on her and chastising the minstrels for their poor treatment of her.  Either he actually liked the horse or it was a very clever excuse to get near the cart and all their gear; including any other neat things they may have been given or come across.

                Myung Hee finally took the opportunity to rescue the poor guests from her daughters and stepped up, “Girls.  Don’t you think they’ve had a long trip?  Why don’t you let them get settled in and then we can greet them properly.”

                The two sisters glared at each other until Amber plastered on a smile again and released Henry’s arm with a semi-bored expression.  “Coming mother,” she called before gliding over to Myung Hee without another backward glance, the perfect picture of practiced poise.

                Autumn’s eye twitched as she watched her sister depart but then offered a considerably warmer smile at the minstrels.  “Forgive me,” she pleaded warmly before releasing Henry’s arm and curtsying to both of them politely.  “Please, make yourselves at home,” she gestured to the manor as a whole and watched the smiles light up their faces at the courtesy.

                Despite Amber’s well concealed consternation, Myung Hee seemed pleased by the reaction and smiled gently at Autumn as she glided almost as gracefully as her sister to her side.  “Gentlemen,” she greeted.  “The guest rooms are at your disposal and Oleric will undoubtedly see to your belongings.”

                “Thank you, lady Myung Hee,” Zhou Mi bowed deeply while Henry shadowed him quickly.

                With that, the older Silverberg woman curtsied politely and shepherded her daughters back to their rooms.  A glance over her shoulder showed that the minstrels and the elementalists were looking at each other with some surprise.

                When the room was finally cleared except for Hangeng, who continued to look on with interest, the four finally moved to each other, wanting to say so many things all at once but nothing came out.  There was an awkward moment as they came to stand in front of each other and then Henry stepped forward and grabbed Summer up in a warm embrace.  She started in surprise and then grinned broadly, happy for the welcome and the comfort the minstrels brought with their presence.

                Zhou Mi reached out to shake hands with a smiling Eunhyuk and then they traded off.  Summer stole a hug from Mimi this time and he laughed at the exchange while his companion hugged Eunhyuk too, but lightly, seeing that he was still injured.  “It looks as if trouble found you after we parted ways,” Mimi observed quietly, his expression open but thoughtful.

                “You could say that,” Eunhyuk sighed with a glance at Summer.

                “How did you guys make it across the bridge?  And where are the others?” Henry asked, looking around curiously for the rest of their group.

                Hangeng joined in suddenly with a broad grin, “Now that is a story worth telling.”  He strolled up to the four and tipped his head at the minstrels.  “The Elementalists destroyed it.  Quite by accident I assure you,” he nodded sagely before he was set off balance by Summer when she shoved his shoulder in irritation.

                “The construct destroyed the bridge.  We just happened to be on it when it was destroyed,” she corrected firmly, daring him to disagree.

                “Wait,” Henry gestured between the two.  “You’re Elementalists?”

                “I knew there was something different about you,” Mimi laughed, a mixture of amusement and chagrin that he hadn’t been able to discern it sooner.

                Eunhyuk shrugged and grinned in turn, “We’re just two.  We don’t know where the others are, actually,” he frowned, looking at Hangeng who flushed slightly at the attention.

                “What?” he asked.  “We tried to found them…”

                “Hang on a minute,” Mimi urged as he patted his person, searching for something to write on.  “Oh, never mind,” he waved after a moment when he remembered he’d left everything in the cart.  “This sounds like quite a tale.  Please,” he gestured towards the lounge area and ushered the others to take a seat.

                 Hangeng jogged to the back corner where the kitchen was and yelled something inside.  He got a negative response at first but when he mentioned Henry and Zhou Mi, the response was considerably more civil.  Quite pleased with himself, he sauntered back to the group and threw himself down on a chair, lounging comfortably with his legs thrown over the arm as he settled in to listen.

                The other four were much amused by his antics.  At Henry and Zhou Mi’s prompting, Summer and Eunhyuk were convinced to spin their tale again.  Oh, of course they had related events to Summer’s family but they had glossed over a great deal that had actually happened.  For the sake of the minstrels, story tellers who might do them justice, they started at the beginning and told of how they had been given their power.  Their journey down the mountain was still a blur in their mind but between the two of them, they were able to recall plenty enough to make a whole picture, including the avalanche, the snow wolves and the rest of their journey to civilization.

                They told of Moorhall’s generosity and subsequent destruction; of the first construct they faced and the first patrol they killed.  The story progressed and paused when they reached Fairwinter as food had arrived by then.  Zhou Mi begged a break as they were quite famished from their journey but they all nibbled on food while the elementalists were able to collect their thoughts to resume their telling.  When the edge of their hunger had been sated, the minstrels leaned forward again, intensely attentive and they could see that Henry’s fingers were tapping out the beginnings of a song as he played with what he had so far.

                Summer and Eunhyuk continued down the path, past Mount Balaron and the horrible construct they had faced there.  They faltered in their telling when they had to pick up the pieces from that battle when Siwon had been paralyzed and Eleanara gravely wounded, but were able to continue after only some trouble.  The Farwell crossroads was another difficult place to speak of, considering the reactions of the people there, and their desperate attempt to flee.  From there, it was easy enough to fill in the blanks from before they found the minstrels stuck in the road.

                By general consensus, they glossed over their journey together and only when they had gotten to the part where they had faced the Angmer River did they have to pause again.  If the rest of the journey had been hard to remember, that part was still terrifying, and having relived the entirety of their journey again, it was that much more real this time.  The construct had been incredibly powerful, if only because it had the strength of the river behind it, and simply surviving had been a sufficiently difficult task once it had been unwoven, as Summer described it.

                The minstrels were respectfully quiet as they told their tale and even Hangeng was rapt, transfixed by the story as it unfolded.  Their final comment of the irritating farmer who had found them broke the tension over the group and made them all laugh, if a bit forced.  The scout let out an appreciative whistle as he eyed the elementalists with new respect.  “No wonder you is so mad at your father,” he nodded, his expression serious.

                “Oh?” Zhou Mi asked quietly, his interest piqued.  Henry leaned closer to hear the answer too.

                “He won’t help us,” Eunhyuk answered for her, knowing the answer was probably getting tiresome for her.

                Annoyingly, Henry laughed, “Well what’s he supposed to do?”  He flushed, abashed when she glared at him.

                Her gaze softened almost immediately though as she sighed, “I don’t know.”

                “And you said the patrol has your friends?” Zhou Mi asked again for clarification.

                “Maybe,” Hangeng responded.  “We did not saw them but the patrol was definitely looking.”

                The taller minstrel looked thoughtful for a moment.  “And what is it you intend to do, lady Summer?” he asked the young woman specifically, his eyes intense.

                Her response was immediate, “Go to the capitol.  If they are captured, we intend to free them.  One way or the other, we are going to beat Enrhyll,” she told him fiercely, anger in her voice.

                Despite her words, Zhou Mi’s expression remained unchanged.  In fact, he seemed deep in thought and Henry leaned around in front of him before waving a hand in front of his face.  “Hello?” he asked curiously.

                The taller minstrel blinked rapidly and then laughed.  “My apologies.  I was just thinking.”

                “What about?” Eunhyuk asked curiously, his head tilted to one side.

                “Likely about how late it is,” the tired voice of Sang Kyu broke in smoothly as he approached the group calmly, his arms loose at his sides and his expression neutral.

                “Master Sang Kyu,” Zhou Mi stood up abruptly and bowed, nudging Henry to follow suit.

                “It is a pleasure to see you again, Zhou Mi.  Henry,” he nodded his head politely, a genuine smile on his face, if a bit reserved.  His eyes swept over the other three quickly and he laughed under his breath once.  “Hangeng.  I am surprised to find you indoors.”  It was unusual for the scout to remain in the company of the house for long.  He spent most of his time with the other scouts in the lodgings for the help located next to the manor.

                “The company is unexpectedly good,” he stood up and inclined his head towards Sang Kyu, sending an admiring glance at the elementalists.

                Sang Kyu shook his head slightly, as if amused.  “It saves me the trouble of having to find you.”  Hangeng looked mildly alarmed at the statement and the Silverberg waved at him in a dismissive gesture.  “I only wished to speak with you.  Zhou Mi.  Henry.  You as well.  Would you join me in the study please?” he waved his hand towards the room in the back corner.

                Confused by the request but not so impolite as to refuse, Zhou Mi accepted for both him and Henry.  “Of course.”

                “Sure,” Henry shrugged, grinning when his response earned a giggle from Summer.

                “Soon-Bok,” Sang Kyu addressed the young woman who had ghosted in after him and stationed herself along the wall, quiet and unobtrusive.  She stepped forward when her name was called and bowed respectfully.  “Bring some tea to the study, please,” he prompted.

                “Of course, Master Sang Kyu,” she responded immediately before retrieving the picked over tray from the table the five had set it on and headed for the kitchen.

                Sang Kyu waited for her to head out before he focused on the others again.  “Summer.  Shouldn’t you be calling it a night?”

                “I’m fine, father,” she assured him promptly.

                A ghost of concern slid across his features before he took a small breath and opted not to comment.  “Gentlemen,” he directed his attention instead, waiting for the minstrels and the scout to precede him into the study.  They shrugged uncertainly at Summer and Eunhyuk but followed along, intensely curious what he wanted to discuss with them.

                The remaining two, miffed at being left out and disregarded as something inconsequential, watched the four disappear into the study.  Shortly after, Soon-Bok disappeared inside as well and then reappeared, taking a place directly beside the door as she regarded the pair evenly.  Irritably, Summer grumbled under her breath and stalked off to the guest rooms, too tired to argue.  Eunhyuk paused and watched the young woman at the door for a moment more, wondering just what they were saying inside the room.  Sang Kyu had seemed a bit different when he had addressed them this time.  Oh, nothing warm or welcoming, but he hadn’t been quite as distant as before.  The wind elementalist sighed and shrugged before he waved at Soon-Bok and followed after Summer.

                In the morning, the manor had a different feel to it.  It wasn’t as if anything had changed overtly but rather that with the coming of the minstrels, there had been a noticeable shift, but even so, there was something else that was a bit off.  Eunhyuk and Summer ate breakfast with their own company, surprised when none of the rest of the family showed up and more so that Zhou Mi and Henry were absent as well.  They found out why when, in their explorations, they made their way to the recreation room where the sound of vocals and music could be heard drifting through the closed doors.

                As they approached the doors, they heard the singing stop and Mimi’s patient voice could be heard, coaching steadily, “Now, lady Amber.  You need to relax more.  The sound is supposed to come from here, not your nose,” he chided gently.

                “I am not singing through my nose,” she denied adamantly as Summer and Eunhyuk shrugged and pushed the door open to look inside.

                In the recreation room, the floor space had been completely cleared so that there was plenty of room for dancing lessons.  Henry was still playing his violin, a measured pace that Autumn and Sage were currently dancing to.  In the corner nearest the garden hallways door, Kangin was watching the younger brother with amusement, but he tapped along to the sound of the beat, a casual observer.  Mimi was standing in front of Amber who had managed a very annoyed glare at the minstrel as he tried to tell her she wasn’t singing perfectly as she knew she was.

                With patience that was wearing thin, as it always did with Amber, Mimi waved her glare away and changed subjects.  “Perhaps we should come back to this.  If you would be so good as to partner with Sage for the waltz, my lady,” he gestured at the younger pair who was coming to a stop as Henry wound down the song, right on cue.

                Amber’s gaze deadpanned as she looked at her younger brother.  “I’m not dancing with him.  He cannot lead and he always steps on my feet,” she stated bluntly, to Sage’s embarrassment.  “I will dance with Henry,” she decided instead, already heading for the violinist and disregarding Mimi as a viable partner altogether, seeing that he had spent the morning correcting her.

                She hadn’t quite made it to the flustered minstrel before Autumn stepped in front of her, politely blocking her path and sweeping her hand towards Sage.  “Henry is playing the melody and you know very well that Sage is getting better, Amber,” Autumn spoke pointedly, her own annoyance at her sister’s spoiled behavior beginning to show through her mask.

                The perfectly done up and prettily dressed Amber looked at her more practically dressed sister and reiterated, “I’m dancing with Henry.”  Perturbed, she reached out to push her sister aside with one haughty hand.

                Autumn’s eye twitched as both minstrels moved to step in, but were a hair too slow as, in a completely unladylike display, Amber’s arm was grabbed and she was abruptly hauled over her sister’s hip and unceremoniously dumped on the floor.  She shrieked in dismay and then lay, stunned, on the floor looking up at the faces of Henry and Zhou Mi as they hurried to worry over her.  Silence filled the room for one brief moment before Kangin burst into a fit of hearty laughter, to Amber’s embarrassment, and even Summer and Eunhyuk had a hard time keeping the smiles from their faces.  That had been a good toss.

                While the minstrels helped the red faced young woman to her feet, Autumn glanced over at Kangin who did at least manage a proud smile in her direction, before she pat Sage on the head in a big sister gesture.  He couldn’t help but smile in return until Amber loudly fumed and stomped her foot, “I’m telling mother about this!”  Abruptly, she shook off the still concerned hands of Henry and Zhou Mi and stormed out of the front door, brushing past Summer and Eunhyuk with angry eyes.

                “Well that certainly didn’t go as expected,” Henry shrugged, looking around at the remaining persons.

                “No, it certainly did not,” Zhou Mi agreed as he hastily brushed his shirt off and then focused his attention on Autumn, trying very hard to hide his amused smile.  “Now then.  Since your sister has had a change of heart for the morning, shall we continue with the foxtrot?” he asked, reaching for the young woman’s hand with a polite bow.

                Finally in control of her own flush, Autumn smiled and curtsied, taking Mimi’s hand while Henry picked his violin back up and repositioned it to start playing again.  As the pair started to dance, Kangin moved over to the uncertain duo at the front, a grin still on his face.  “Don’t worry,” he waved dismissively.  “They always have some sort of fight when the boys are here, though I will say this is the first time it’s gotten physical,” he laughed, a degree of admiration in his eyes.

                “I’m guessing you taught her that throw,” Summer stated slyly, smiling harder when he ducked his head but didn’t deny it.

                “She comes in and practices with Sage some days, when she’s tired of the lessons her mother teaches her,” he shrugged.

                “Indeed,” Eunhyuk chuckled, watching the willowy young woman float around the floor, effortlessly lead by the considerably taller Zhou Mi.  “Do they really stay to teach lessons?”

                Kangin looked over at the elementalist and nodded.  “Aye.  Normally anyway.  Though from what I’ve heard, their visit is going to be much shorter this time.  If I’m right, and news from Oleric rarely isn’t, they’re supposed to head out tomorrow for the capitol,” he explained, mistaking the surprise on their faces for dismay at them leaving.

                “Why?” the pair asked in tandem, exchanging nervous glances.

                The training master shrugged.  “No idea, but Sang Kyu supposedly requested they do so in all haste.  I don’t know any of the details though,” he admitted, scratching his head.  It was an unusual enough request, but then again, so was the relayed request from earlier this morning.  Why would the minstrels need sais and travel gear?

                Their questions were pushed to the back however, when Myung Hee arrived to watch over the proceedings, a still annoyed though much subdued Amber in tow.  With the elder Silverberg’s presence, the lessons became more focused but everyone in the room, save Myung Hee, was roped into dance lessons for the duration of the morning.  Both elementalists were amused at the outcome and Amber was further perturbed to be led by the powerful but blunt Kangin.  Mi Cha was dragged in as a partner for Sage while Eunhyuk danced with Summer.  For the neutralizer, dancing in a dress was an entirely different experience, but one she found she enjoyed when the fabric brushed against her skin and flared out elegantly when she turned or twirled.  She could hardly stop smiling and for most, her happiness was contagious.

                Despite the unexpected beginning to their morning and the questions they had over Kangin’s revelations, the duo had a surprisingly good time.  Myung Hee called a halt to their lessons about an hour or so before the afternoon meal to give them all time to wash up and get ready.  Summer’s siblings disappeared very quickly, with Amber still sulking and both Autumn and Sage fairly energized from the lessons.  Kangin bowed out next, pleading he had work to do in the training hall, and Myung Hee and Mi Cha returned through the front door on their way out, leaving the elementalists with the minstrels.

                As they were packing up, Eunhyuk approached and asked, “So what was it Sang Kyu wanted to speak with you about last night?”

                “Huh?” Mimi started, briefly surprised by the blunt question.  “Oh.  He wanted to organize travel plans,” he answered openly.  “Normally, we stay here for a couple weeks or so, but he requested we move on as soon as possible this time.  Something about an urgent delivery that needed to be made to the capitol.”  Visually, he seemed completely ignorant of what Sang Kyu had been requesting but there was a mischievous twinkle in his eyes and Henry wasn’t quite as good at keeping a neutral expression as his lips curled up in a smile he tried very hard to keep from being obvious.

                “Hangeng is supposed to be escorting us too,” Henry nodded enthusiastically.  “We heard about this nasty group of bandits that were subdued on the other side of the river.  You never know if they have friends this far out though,” he shrugged but the twinkle was in his eyes too.

                “Uh huh,” Summer murmured, crossing her arms in front of her chest as she looked between them skeptically.  “Mimi, what’s this about?” she asked directly, spearing him with her gaze.

                He laughed lightly and shook his head before standing up and setting his instrument case on the table top.  “Lady Summer.  Why don’t you just ask him?” he prompted with a grin.  With that, he bowed politely and reached out to nudge Henry who had yet to pick his violin case off the floor.

                The younger man did so hurriedly and then was the first out the door, eager for a wash and food.  If nothing else, the Silverbergs were not stingy with their meals or their treatment of guests that were in their favor.  A perturbed Summer and amused Eunhyuk watched the minstrels disappear out the door before they regarded each other again.  “It can’t be,” Summer started, shaking her head in obvious disbelief.

                “Nothing’s impossible,” Eunhyuk grinned as he reached out to clap her on the shoulder with his good hand.  His right limb was still incredibly sore and tender, but he could function quite well otherwise.  The quality rest and good food were doing wonders for the rest of his body and walking had become something considerably more enjoyable since he’d been treated here.  He wasn’t sure he was ready to quite throw everything behind what he thought was going on just yet, but there was enough proof to give him hope.  “Come on,” he encouraged, nudging her shoulder gently.  “Let’s go get cleaned up and see what lunch brings,” he winked with a broad grin.

 

(a/n: So things are moving along, hopefully at a decent pace.  ;)  Thank you to my awesome readers for sticking with me this far.  It has been an interesting journey and it's not over yet.  ^_^  My muse was also very kind to me this weekend, hence the quick updates.  I hope that you enjoyed the last chapter (thank you Inaxina!) and that this one is on par as well.  I am trying to cycle through the groups as evenly as possible to keep you up to date on how things are progressing with each one without getting too far ahead with any one in particular.

I was excited to get some of your responses in regards to upcoming events and I hope that the Amber/Autumn scene was satisfactory SuperJuniorfan13.  I know I had a great deal of fun in writing it.  lol  Also, for kaicho, I'll be getting back to Kyuhyun and Eleanara next chapter and I can only hope you'll enjoy what I have in mind.  Given where we are now, I am definitely open to thoughts or suggestions if you would care to shoot me anything, otherwise I am always just glad to know you're still with me.

As a high note for me today, I hit 1000 views which I was absurdly excited about.  I know it's silly, but again, the small things people!  Thank you, as always, to my readers, silent and otherwise, and I hope you continue to enjoy the story as it progresses.  <3  Take care and I shall update again as soon as possible!)