Chapter 52

Loss of Order

                The Silverberg manor was busier than usual in the afternoon hours of the day after lunch.  Summer and Eunhyuk felt the nervous tension and general excitement in the air as well.  They were more relaxed and loose from their exertions this morning though both could recognize they would be feeling it later.  The experience was common enough for Eunhyuk who was accustomed to such results but Summer was quite surprised.

                Later on, Kibum came by and whisked Eunhyuk off to examine his injuries, leaving Summer to her own devices.  That suited her just fine.  Moving around had made her realize just how much the fight with the construct and subsequent injuries had set her back.  She set out to find Kangin in the training hall, determined to get a pair of pants and a shirt to practice in.

                In the Wind room, Kibum unwrapped the bindings he’d placed on Eunhyuk and peered at the severe discoloration still present.  Even so, he quirked his head to the side and managed a small smile.  “You’re healing well,” he agreed, moderately content.  “It looks bad, but I can tell you’re less sore now, correct?”

                Eunhyuk nodded and grunted an affirmative before he pulled his arm back to look at the deep blues and purples too.  Some spots were taking on a green and yellowish tinge and while it was still tender, he had just a bit more mobility than he had during the first couple days.  “How long will it take to heal?” he finally asked uncertainly as he painfully closed his hand and then reopened it.

                Kibum looked at him thoughtfully, attempting to measure the time.  “For a full recovery, undoubtedly a few weeks.”  He saw the surprise in Eunhyuk’s eyes and laughed, amused.  “You sound as if you haven’t suffered anything worse.”

                The wind elementalist shrugged and admitted, “We were careful growing up in the monastery.  If you got hurt really bad, it was a long way for help to come.”  He cringed to think of what it would have been like if he’d managed to injure himself like this in the monastery; before Eleanara could heal anyway.

                “Kids are never careful,” Kibum scoffed in a superior tone but he was genuinely amused.  “So that means you were very lucky,” he chuckled instead as he shook his head softly.

                “I guess you could say that,” Eunhyuk agreed, unsure what else to say.

                Kibum waved his hand at him and smiled slightly.  “Enough speculation.  I know you said your legs were sore.  How’s your flexibility?”

                “Pretty good, usually,” Eunhyuk grinned before he sat himself down and proceeded to test his statement.

                Kibum watched with interest and then directed the elementalist in performing a few additional stretches he was unfamiliar with.  Overall, the healer seemed pleased with the results and said as much before retrieving more salve and gauze and rewrapping the arm again.  “Now,” Kibum started as he pushed his bangs back with his hand.  “I want you to go see Kangin and just run through a few practice drills.  Mind your injured hand,” he warned sternly, “but see how it feels.”

                Eunhyuk regarded Kibum curiously, curious as to why he was allowing him to practice when he had chided him the other day for something considerably less active.  “Sure.  If you say so,” the wind elementalist grinned.  It did not take him long to bustle out of the room, to Kibum’s vexation, and jog down to the training hall.

                He found a riled Summer sparring heatedly with Kangin and both seemed fairly vexed.  When Eunhyuk paused in surprise, they looked open and Summer grumbled, “He doesn’t fight fair.”

                Kangin stood up, getting out of his ready stance, and snorted, “Of course I don’t.  Do you think all your opponents will fight fair?” he challenged in annoyance before feinting at her when she was still looking at Eunhyuk.

                “Hey!” she cried out in indignation before she rolled backwards to gain distance between them.

                “I see what you mean,” Eunhyuk agreed with a nod.  He took a step forward and Kangin focused on the newcomer, ignoring Summer.  “Kibum sent me to try my luck.”  He nervously looked over at Summer who was still fuming at the harsh reality that the training master was teaching her.

                Again, Kangin smirked and crossed his arms over his chest.  After a pause, he nodded and gestured for Eunhyuk to step across from him.  “You can take a break, Summer,” he waved, shifting his attention to the young man.

                Summer grumbled at the dismissal and instead headed for the storage closet at the back where she had seen Sage retrieving his training gear the other day.  While Kangin had indeed been able to find her a suitable pair of clothes to train in, he had declined to find her a weapon.  That being said, she was determined to find one herself.  Even if he didn’t have any sais, she still knew how to work with a handful of others.  Not as well, by any means, but she wasn’t completely inept either and a pair of daggers were an easy enough substitute to mimic the motions she used with her primary weapons.

                Eunhyuk approached Kangin and then looked down at his clothes.  He was still wearing the more formal garb that he had been given when he got here.  “Right…” Kangin murmured and chuckled to himself before he headed for a smaller room in the back right of the training hall.  It looked similar to the size and positioning of the locked room on the other side of the manor but it opened easily and was filled with all manner of clothes and padded armor.  He sized Eunhyuk up briefly and then chose a pair of pants and shirt.  “Here.  Try these on,” the taller man suggested, waving Eunhyuk inside.

                The elementalist shrugged and stepped in, changing quickly and quite surprised when the clothes fit rather well.  As he stepped out, he flinched when Kangin, who was waiting for him to come out, attacked him in the same manner he had Summer, when he was completely unaware.  Unlike Summer, Eunhyuk had slightly better reflexes and when he was startled, a reactive blast of wind came to his aide, catching the larger man squarely and tossing him back, a very surprised expression on his face.

                Not sure if he had done something wrong or if he should be proud of himself, Eunhyuk looked at Summer who was grinning.  “See?  I told you he didn’t fight fair.”  She was carrying dual daggers and held them loosely in her hands as she watched Kangin.

                The training master laughed heartily on the floor and then hauled himself into a sitting position with a chagrined smile.  “Elementalists,” he guffawed as he slapped his leg.  Easily, he stood up and brushed himself off before clapping in congratulations.  “It has been a while since anyone has thrown me like that,” he admitted.  “Alright.  Enough playing around,” he stated, suddenly serious.  “Let’s see what you can do.”

                Their training session was not overtly long, but it was broad and somewhat extensive.  The injured right arm severely limited some of his abilities, but with the ambidexterity he acquired from dual wielding, his left hand and arm were able to compensate for some of what his right arm was incapable of.  Admittedly, it was hard to not react with his dominant right hand but not impossible.  His legs, while still slightly sore, were both entirely more responsive and when prompted, he was able to run with relative ease, an exercise Summer joined him in.

                When Kangin was satisfied they had found their respective limits, he called them off.  “You two aren’t half bad,” he surmised begrudgingly, aware that even when injured they were still fairly skilled in their respective areas.

                “Thank you,” Eunhyuk bowed politely, amused at Summer’s reluctance to comment.  It was obvious she was still annoyed with him from earlier.

                “Just make sure you don’t stiffen up,” the training master warned with a piercing glare.  He didn’t want to have gone through the trouble of getting them to a good point only to have them ruin it with a pulled muscle…

                “We’ll be fine,” Summer told him decidedly before she was already heading for the door.  His warning was sound and she fully intended to make sure she didn’t end up pulling something, but she wasn’t about to tell him that.

                They could see from the light shining through the windows that it was starting to get late.  Likely, they still had plenty of time before dinner and both figured a hot bath would do wonders for those muscles they had worked today.  Summer had to chase her aide out again, who seemed to always know when she was taking a bath and Eunhyuk did the same this time.

                Refreshed and clothed again in clean garbs, another dress and suit as it were, the duo returned to the main part of the manor in search of the others.  There were two scouts seated in the lounge, speaking quietly with each other.  They smiled and nodded when they saw the two and then resumed speaking.  “Do you think Hangeng’s in the study?” Eunhyuk asked, looking from the scouts to the door.

                Summer shrugged.  “I have no idea, but I wonder why he’s supposed to be escorting Henry and Mimi,” she mused thoughtfully.  “They have the same risk all across the country but on the way to the capitol, they suddenly need an ?”

                “Maybe your father’s just being courteous,” Eunhyuk suggested earnestly, though he definitely had another possibility in mind and it was hard to keep the smile from his face.  He gave up trying after a moment and earned a skeptical glance from his companion.

                “I can’t argue with his being polite,” she muttered with a heavy sigh.  “Come on.  Let’s check the recreation room,” she suggested as they continued searching for additional people.  Neither of them had seen much of most of her family past this morning, which she found distinctly odd.  She didn’t know enough about their schedules to know if that was normal for them or out of the ordinary but from what she had seen, it felt strange.

                To her surprise, she found her mother and sisters seated in one corner with various pieces of clothing scattered around them.  They weren’t the usual gowns either of them would have expected either.  Autumn waved at them warmly when they walked in and Amber looked up from her work and then disregarded them entirely.  Myung Hee set down what she was working on in her lap and gave the pair a small smile.  “Were you looking for someone, Summer?” she asked politely.

                Summer looked between the three again and then back at her mother.  “Just wandering…  What are you doing?” she asked, not in reference to mending the clothes, as that was obvious, but rather what was she doing mending those types of clothes.

                Myung Hee sighed wistfully and pulled at the fabric in her lap.  “We’re a bit short handed at the moment.  Mi Cha is busy in the kitchen and we simply had to finish these alterations.  Some of the scouts are still growing,” she lamented with a shake of her head before she picked up the shirt she was working on.  Both Autumn and Amber were working on a set of dark pants; the fabric seemed reinforced too, which made sense if they did as much riding as the pair believed they would.

                Skeptically, Summer asked, “And that needed to be taken care of today?”

                “Why yes,” Myung Hee answered automatically, glancing up from her work.  “The scouts will be heading out tomorrow to resume patrolling when Hangeng leaves,” she assured her daughter easily, her expression quite serious.  Amber was still stoic in her mending and Autumn was humming quietly to herself, careful not to look up.

                Eunhyuk took that opportunity to step up, “Seeing that you ladies are busy, could you tell us where Zhou Mi and Henry are?”

                “They’re in the garden,” Autumn answered immediately as she picked her head up, flushing when her mother glanced at her out of the corner of her eye.

                Eunhyuk smiled and bowed, making her flush even harder.  “Thank you,” he offered, brushing Summer’s arm with his fingertips to prompt her to follow.  She was glad enough to go after him.  Hopefully, they would be better company than a trio of sewing women…

                As they had seen a few times now, the garden was beautiful at all times of the day.  With the setting sun casting everything in a warm reddish orange glow, the room looked truly spectacular as the fountain fragmented the light and made it dance when it filtered through the flowing water.  That was where they found the minstrels; playing their instruments on the benches near the fountain as the fading light flowed over them.  As the pair approached, they heard the faint sounds of the players going over possible verses and plucking the beginnings of a song as they worked out the details.

                “Hello,” Eunhyuk called out so as not to startle them when they made their way around to where they were sitting.

                The minstrels still jumped slightly, being completely unaware of their surroundings as they focused on their work.  Both laughed and then waved at the elementalists as they came and settled in front of the minstrels.  “Good evening,” Zhou Mi offered with a polite bow over his instrument.  “How are you this fine night?” he inquired, gesturing at the dazzling array of colors splashed across the garden.

                “It’s been an interesting day,” Eunhyuk laughed as he rubbed the back of his neck.  Between the events of this morning with the dance lessons and the practice in the afternoon with Kangin, he wasn’t quite sure what to think of the developments, but the activity had felt good and he knew they were both getting anxious to do something more.  They couldn’t travel at all effectively on foot and they had been hoping to have some assistance in that department considering they couldn’t ride either.  The thought was actually very discomfiting.

                “Considering your story, hasn’t that been most days for you guys?” Henry asked with a mischievous grin.

                “Henry,” Zhou Mi chided, though he was smiling too at the accurate observation.

                “When you put it that way…” Summer had to laugh with a helpless shrug.  Her laughter faded and she leveled her gaze at them both, more serious this time.  “Why are you really going to the capitol?”

                “Because your father has asked us to,” Zhou Mi responded immediately, no hesitation in his voice.

                She frowned at the response and then went on, “Would you be willing to take us with you?”  Her expression was pleading, almost desperate, as she knew they were their best chance at getting there quickly unless they could convince Hangeng to take them too.  Granted that would require riding with someone, if he would even consider it.

                Henry seemed about to say something as he was eagerly smiling but Zhou Mi stepped in with a half-smile at his companion, “We would be most honored to have your company on our way to the capitol, lady Summer, but we would humbly request that you check with your father first.”  He watched with some chagrin as her face lit up and then fell as he finished speaking.

                Henry picked up on the word play and shrugged, “Well, he might be worried about you.  And you are both still recovering,” he added convincingly, gesturing between the two with his violin bow.

                She grumbled at his response but glanced over at Eunhyuk who was the more injured of the two.  “I’m getting better,” he encouraged as he held up the injured arm and gave her a stiff thumbs up.

                “It still takes time,” Zhou Mi nodded slowly.  “But perhaps we can broach the subject over dinner.  It is about time, I believe,” he added with a glance around.  The light was fading fast in the garden and the golden glow had nearly disappeared.

                “Fair enough,” Eunhyuk smiled before he stood up and offered his good hand to Summer.  She accepted easily enough and allowed him to help haul her to her feet with little trouble.  “Let’s see what they made this evening,” his smile changed to a grin as he very much looked forward to the new foods they had been trying over the past two days.  It was considerably better than anything he was used to and he attributed that, at least in part, to his recovery speed.

                His reaction brought a smile to all of their faces as the minstrels carefully packed their instruments and followed along after them.  Out of courtesy, they headed by the guest rooms so that the two could drop off their items in their rooms and then swung around to the dining hall.  They were about right on time as they noticed Soon-Bok and Mi Cha setting the tables while Sage at least was leaning against the wall, waiting for them to finish.

                It did not take them more than a minute and the youngest eagerly plopped himself down on a chair, to their general amusement, before the rest of the family filed in.  Surprisingly, Hangeng joined them and took a seat next to Amber to her obvious delight as she blushed prettily.  After he had settled, even more startling was that Kibum and Kangin joined them, with the latter seated next to Sage and the former taking the chair beside Myung Hee.

                While it was clear that Summer and Eunhyuk both had many questions flashing across their faces, they held their tongues as the food was brought out in waves.  As before, they started with a broth based soup and a small serving of fresh greens topped lightly with drizzled oil and herbs.  The main course followed shortly thereafter with a platter of small stuffed birds; with at least one for all of them.  Through the course of the meal, the minstrels and the ladies kept up a steady stream of pleasantries to help pass the time.

                As before Sang Kyu remained aloof in the conversations and simply watched the proceedings, leaning over occasionally to speak to Myung Hee quietly before resuming his meal.  Periodically, he would look over at Summer and Eunhyuk, his expression unreadable but intent.  They met his eyes evenly but could discern nothing from him otherwise.

                When at last the dessert was brought out, small plates of a fresh mixed berry cobbler, the conversation died down a bit more as the accompanying carafes were carried in with another rose colored wine.  Sage ate quickly, but both Autumn and Amber took their time, aware that like the last time, they would be sent out when the desserts were finished.

                At last, they could delay no longer and Sang Kyu finally spoke openly.  “Alright children.  You may excuse yourselves,” he nodded towards the three who put up a token resistance, including Amber’s well known pout.  Hangeng smirked at that response but she missed it entirely when she stood up to follow her siblings out.

                When they were gone with the door shut quietly behind them, Sang Kyu began speaking again after taking a sip of his wine.  “Gentlemen.  Thank you for joining us this evening,” he gestured towards the additional persons that were at the table, seeing that the others were expected to be here.

                “Your hospitality is quite appreciated,” “We are happy to be here,” came from Zhou Mi and Henry who nodded their heads in appreciation.  Kibum, Hangeng and Kangin all gave similar though abbreviated thanks that prompted Sang Kyu to smile.

                “As you all know, I have asked Zhou Mi and Henry to break from our agreed upon arrangement so that they may tend to an important matter on my behalf in Lornhaldt.”  He nodded his head graciously in their direction and they smiled agreeably.  “Hangeng has agreed to provide an there and will be accompanying them.”  The scout grinned cockily and leaned back, content with that description.

                Sang Kyu focused his attention on Summer and Eunhyuk who both tensed in preparation.  “I have spoken with both Kibum and Kangin in regards to your current health and abilities.  Kangin has no doubts about your skills, even considering your injuries,” he gestured towards the wind elementalist who couldn’t help but flush at the comment, unsure if it was a compliment or a slight.  “Kibum has assured me that despite that, you are both in remarkably good condition.  As such, I have offered your services to both Zhou Mi and Henry as additional protection against the dangers of the road.”

                The anger that had been blooming across Summer’s face at being volunteered for anything without her permission quickly vanished in an instant and she blinked at her father, stunned.  “What?” she asked, certain she had heard wrong.

                “New gear and weapons have been provided for you and will be in your room when you return for the evening,” he continued as if he hadn’t heard her.

                Eunhyuk grinned at the response and reached out to clap Summer on the shoulder enthusiastically, cringing when he used a little more force than he intended and jarred his arm.  He didn’t have any words to say, but it was obvious he was quite happy with that news, even if she was still letting the idea sink in.

                “As long as he takes care not to do anything foolish with it,” Kibum started with a raised brow at the exchange, having not missed the over enthusiasm, “he should be fine.  Especially since he compensates remarkably well with his off-hand.”  The unexpected compliment made Eunhyuk blush slightly.  For him, it was as natural as breathing, but apparently it was something that most others really had to work at.

                Summer looked around the table and met the gazes of those there, including her mother who was actually smiling with a very satisfied expression.  “Thank you, father.  I don’t know what else to say,” she started quietly.

                Sang Kyu waved her words away and took a sip of his wine.  “There is nothing to thank me for.  I expect you to uphold the Silverberg name as you guard the minstrels,” he told her firmly.  “They are to be your priority on the road,” he explained, completely serious.

                The minstrels had to hide their smiles behind their cups and it was easy to see that none of them were actually taken in by his firm words.  “I is sure they will do fine,” Hangeng rescued them, surprisingly enough as he leaned forward and took a sip of his own goblet, his eyes smiling over the rim of the cup as he glanced at the elementalists.

                “We will be glad for their company,” Zhou Mi assured Sang Kyu solemnly.

                Myung Hee reached a hand over and laid it lightly on top of Sang Kyu’s, smiling reassuringly when he glanced over at her.  He reciprocated the gesture with his other hand when he set the goblet on the table.  She spoke to the pair next and nodded, “You will have an early start in the morning.  I suggest you get some rest this evening.”  Her attention swung back to Sang Kyu and she placed a hand on his back as she stood up.  “Come on, dear.  We should retire as well.”

                Having said what he intended to say, Sang Kyu just looked tired.  Quickly, he finished his wine and stood up next to Myung Hee.  “Of course.  Gentlemen.  Summer,” he inclined his head slightly as he bid them goodnight.

                Once the heads of the household had stepped out, it did not take long for the rest to follow.  Hangeng pleaded he still had some last minute preparations to attend to and Kangin just wanted to go to bed.  Kibum explained he needed to see to the medical supplies he would be sending with them before he ducked out in turn.

                Still sitting next to Eunhyuk, Henry reached out and smacked the slender man on the back of his shoulder in a friendly gesture.  “Looks like we’ll be seeing a bit more of you both then,” he grinned.

                Zhou Mi stood up on the other side of him and looked down at the pair.  “We will be leaving early in the morning, though.  As such, we must bid you a good night.  Sleep well lady Summer.  Eunhyuk.”  With that, he reached down to prompt Henry to stand and had the younger man follow him out.

                “Come on, Summer,” Eunhyuk encouraged when they were left.

                She was still alternately frustrated and happy with her father.  “Ugh!” she exclaimed at last when no other coherent words would come to her.  It quickly devolved into a quiet fit of laughter as she felt tears sting her eyes.

                “It’s alright, Summer,” Eunhyuk assured her as he reached out to place one hand on her opposite shoulder and the other on her closest arm, feeling himself about ready to cry just because she was.

                “Stubborn old man,” she laughed as she scrubbed at her eyes with the back of her hand.

                “Yeah.  I guess he is,” Eunhyuk agreed as he stood up and moved to help her stand too.  “Come on,” he sniffed as he rubbed the side of his face on his shoulder and shifted his hands to merely guide her when she pushed herself up.

                “I’m coming,” she assured him quietly, still laughing through her tears.

                Together, they made their way out into the lounge and down the hall to the Wind room.  They were glad they didn’t see anyone else out and about, having retired as they had said they would.  When they stepped into the room, they immediately saw two folded pair of clothes at the foot of the bed, topped by a slender, cloth wrapped package.  They both smiled when they noticed that the clothes looked remarkably like the ones that Myung Hee, Autumn and Amber had been working on earlier.

                Carefully, they removed the packages and untied them easily.  More tears threatened when they saw that each had been given a new sai to complement the one that they had originally.  The sets looked mismatched but it meant a lot that they might think they wanted to keep the original set, or what they had of it.  Reluctantly, they folded the weapons back up and set them on the table with the set of clothes.  Neither had any doubt they’d fit just fine.  For now, sleep was calling and they were not going to argue.  When they did lie down, they were mildly concerned they wouldn’t be able to drift off.  They needn’t have been worried.

                Predawn was there before they knew it and they didn’t even need the assistance of Mi Cha who made sure they were awake before disappearing into the hallway again.  Filled with nervous energy, they took turns dressing as one stepped out to let the other have that privacy.  Breakfast was a blur as they were given hot rolls they were far more used to before they were bustled out into the still dim morning light where Henry, Zhou Mi and Hangeng were already waiting.  Hangeng’s horse was a deep dark brown color but he looked black in the dim lighting and he fidgeted while they waited, shifting from foot to foot so that the scout had to rein him in a time or two.

                Lute was ready in the traces of the cart and Henry and Zhou Mi were seated at the front, ready to go.  The violinist stepped to the back to give them a hand up and they hurriedly took their places in the bed of the horse drawn vehicle and looked around, surprised to see additional packs.  At Henry’s nudge, they looked back at the front of the manor and couldn’t help but smile.

                The rest of the Silverberg family had threaded out to see them off.  Sang Kyu still looked stoic but the rest of the members were smiling and waving.  As Zhou Mi clucked to Lute to get her moving after Henry had taken his seat, Summer looked back and waved enthusiastically.  Quietly, she whispered under her breath, “Thank you,” so that only Eunhyuk was able to hear the quiet sentiment.

                As they pulled away, he reached a comforting hand out and rested it against her back.  When the family stepped inside, the elementalists looked ahead with a feeling of excitement and nervous dread warring within them.  They were finally back on their way again.  It had taken them two days, needed recovery time for sure, but they had no idea how their friends were or what had become of them.  At best, they might be able to reconvene in the city and at worst, they would have to face Enrhyll alone.  There was so much they didn’t know and that was perhaps the worst part, but at least they were finally going to find out.

 

(a/n:  Yay!  They're on their way!  I was happy to finish this one but I am currently struggling to start the next update.  I'll do my best to get it out when I can so please bear with me.  Thank you to my readers, silent and otherwise, and especially my commentors who never fail to make me smile.  Take care and I hope you enjoyed the update!  <3 )