Frozen Haven

Loss of Order

           The trees that had seemed so far not that long ago rose up before them, the tops of trees first and then as the woods closed in around the group, the middle and the bottom where they became aware of their feet hitting the ground, crunching through a couple inches of snow to dirt.  While it was noticeably colder in the shade, none of them were inclined to stop for a fire.  Even Kyuhyun was reluctant to call any sort of flame and Eleanara flat out refused to contemplate the comforting presence of a light due to the overuse of her powers already.

           Unable to see their destination for the trees, the group continued to walk, not quite sure of where they were going but letting the slope guide them down.  It had appeared to be a straight shot through the woods when they were standing at the top of the forest looking down on the village, but inside the dark of the woods, it wasn’t so simple.  At last, they finally had to admit they were lost when the forest continued to stretch on, endless and taunting.

           It wasn’t that it was frightening exactly, but the unfamiliar woods made them uncomfortable with no end in sight.  Small creatures moved on the edges of their vision, making them more nervous, especially after their excitement earlier this morning.  There didn’t appear to be any open places to rest either; just more trees.  Finally, Leeteuk paused, feeling Eleanara lean against his arm heavily and when they were given a chance to stop, he noticed her trembling.  He cast a concerned glance back at the others and noted different levels of tiredness.  Summer seemed least affected overall, but that was fairly understandable.

           “Let’s take a break,” he suggested, seeing the relief in their eyes.  None had the breath to complain right now; not even the sometimes laconic Kyuhyun.

           Quietly, the group settled against the ground and propped themselves against trees for the most part.  Without his support, Eleanara crumpled to the ground where she stood, right next to Leeteuk.  She forced herself to drink some of her water skin, wriggling out from her pack enough to free her arms.  Propped against it, she was no match for her own exhaustion and the closed container fell softly from exhausted fingers as she rested her eyes for just a moment…

           Since they didn’t intend to stay for long, the waterproofed blankets were kept in the packs but food and water were had by all slowly.  Hunger took a little while to return but when it did, they felt it keenly.  “Is hunger always a side-effect of using our power?” Eunhyuk asked, curious as he was constantly hungry in general.  His ration disappeared very quickly and after a moment’s debate, he fished another one out and started on it too.

           “I’d imagine,” Kharin agreed with a shrug, only a few bites of her ration left.  “Even Eleanara eats after using her ability,” she chuckled, looking to laugh with the other woman but she stopped short when she noticed the awkwardly reclined position and the closed eyes.

           “Dummy,” Kyuhyun sighed, shaking his head that she had fallen asleep so quickly.  He was about to toss a clump of snow at her but Leeteuk forestalled him.

           “Let her rest.  She can eat on the move,” he stated quietly.  “You can’t tell me you’re not tired from your exertions,” he added calmly, eyeing the rest of them.  He felt it too and none of them had been pressed to use their powers quite so much as she had just these past two days.

           “Well I am,” Kharin ventured when no one gave an answer.  Her voice turned soft and thoughtful.  “I thought I would be ready for combat.  After all,” she began with a wry twist to , “it’s mostly what my power is good for.  But I was wrong.  I’m afraid to think what it will be like when it’s a person on the other side of me… not just a hungry wolf.”  Her heartfelt words brought pensive expressions to their faces.  It was a reality none of them had contemplated yet and it made them distinctly uncomfortable.  How did one break down people into good and evil?  Was it really that simple?

           Leeteuk looked around at the drawn expressions before he forced himself to smile.  “Who feels like climbing a tree?” he asked into the quiet air.  Incredulous stares met his gaze and he shrugged.  “How else do you propose we get a bearing on where we’re headed?” he offered, easily expecting just such a reaction from them, and while their laughter may have been more forced than he would have preferred, it was what he had hoped for.

           Eunhyuk examined the trees and frowned.  “Not really much to climb.”  Tentatively, he stood up and looked at the one he was leaning against.  The branches all slanted down, thick and full of needle leaves instead of the hefty branches he was used to with the deciduous trees that tended to grow around the monastery.

           “Why don’t you just raise yourself up?” Siwon suggested, leveling a gaze at Leeteuk.  “You did as much with the stone spear, you know?”

           Chagrined, Leeteuk nodded in acceptance.  “So I did,” he murmured standing up and brushing the snow from his pants with some reluctance.  “Stand back,” he warned with a boyish grin on his face, flourishing his hands unnecessarily.  Just to make sure he wouldn’t fall, he raised two handholds next to him, wrapping his fingers around the smooth stone firmly.  With a final wink, he hauled the earth up under him, stabbing towards the sky and the top of the tree line.

           Nearby, the hastily awakened light elementalist shrieked as she scrambled away from the pillar with a panicked expression.  “Eleanara!” Summer cried when she felt the barrier thrown up, jerking at the sound of her cry.  Immediately, she banished the shield, watching in confusion when Eleanara went limp, melding to the awkward form of the pack.

           Siwon was the first to reach her and he scooped her into his arms, holding her close, while Kharin and Eunhyuk knelt next to them.  Kharin grabbed up one of Eleanara’s unresisting hands, holding it tight as she reached in to place her free hand on the other woman’s cheek.  “What happened to her?” she asked in confusion, glancing around the loose circle for an answer.

           “I’m not sure,” Summer responded, trying to piece the puzzle together.

           Kyuhyun glanced behind them and easily put two and two together.  He hadn’t been part of the attack on her and Leeteuk but it wasn’t hard to see how she could draw similarities between then and waking to find the spire next to her again.  “I’d say she had a flashback,” he murmured, frowning at the thought.  Was it just Eleanara that was susceptible to the blurring of reality or would they all have to worry about that possibility if or when they were exhausted.

           “Everything alright?” Leeteuk asked from above, concerned.

           Eleanara’s eyes opened slowly then, one eye first and then the other, before she focused on Kharin in front of her.  The taller woman sighed in relief and nodded.  “There you are.”

           Kyuhyun answered for those below.  “We’re alright,” as Eunhyuk gave a thumbs up sign to Leeteuk above them.

           Tears filled her eyes when she recognized Siwon holding her protectively and Kharin still clasping her hand.  Ultimately, she acknowledged what had happened but it felt so real…  “We’re safe?” she asked plaintively, the last of the shock finally wearing off.

           “Very safe, Nara,” Siwon assured her softly, tightening his hold around her and pressing his cheek against the top of her head.  She had done them all a great service in healing them, but her mental instability gave him great cause for worry.  He glanced at Kharin who wore a similar expression.

           Summer leaned closer and took Kharin’s spot, allowing the other woman to stand up and step back.  She reached out and smoothed the other woman’s hair down gently.  “It’s alright, Eleanara,” she assured her.

           Kharin settled herself next to Eunhyuk and leaned in to whisper, “I’m worried about her.”  She chewed her lip in thought as he nodded slowly in agreement, reaching to grab her hand in comfort.  They watched Siwon hold Eleanara close, offering what comfort he could.  She looked so tiny in comparison to him and she was so very fragile right now.  In truth, it scared her.

           Leeteuk sighed and frowned, watching intently from above, his own worry gnawing at him.  Limits or no, they all needed to be strong enough at the end of their journey.  If they fell apart here, what would that mean later?  Quickly, he shook himself and looked around, following the rising smoke to give himself guidance.  “There,” he sighed, hoping he wouldn’t need to do this again.  “That way,” he called down, pointing it out for them and giving them something else to focus on.  He watched while Kyuhyun drew a line to indicate the direction he gave them.  “Heads up.  I’m coming down,” he warned, keeping a careful eye on Siwon and Eleanara.

           Slowly, he lowered the platform, taking his time.  When he was flush with the ground again, he stepped down and placed a grateful hand on Siwon’s shoulder before turning to the rest.  “It looks like we might be able to make it before dark if we don’t get lost again.”

           “Let’s get started,” Kharin suggested, picking up her pack first with Eunhyuk right behind her.  Leeteuk nodded and picked up Eleanara’s pack and his own, waiting for Kharin to come and assist him.  He gave Siwon a meaningful look and the other man nodded once, a slight smile on his face.  Summer gave Kyuhyun Siwon’s pack and grinned, shouldering hers easily.  Disgruntled, Kyuhyun debated throwing it down but finally sighed and glowered instead, reluctantly accepting the burden.

           Siwon stood up with Eleanara in his arms, despite her protests to the contrary.  “I can walk.  Really,” she assured him, mortified that they thought she needed such babying.  Though she fought against it, she wasn’t entirely positive herself she would be able to keep up.  Just struggling against Siwon’s hold briefly was more than she had anticipated.  Had she really gotten so weak?

           “Just sleep, Nara,” he grinned mischievously, winking at her.

           “Don’t you dare,” she started to say before she felt his power slide over her like a warm blanket.  Against it, she was powerless and consciousness deserted her.

           “Finally found a use for the sleep ability did you?” Summer laughed, nudging him lightly as she came up and peered at Eleanara’s sleeping face.  “Good job,” she stated simply at his shrug.

           Kharin forged her way up to Leeteuk, grabbing the other pack to share the weight between them.  A glance back showed Eunhyuk doing the same with Kyuhyun, to the other man’s relief.  Quietly, she asked, “Do you think she’ll be okay?”  They all knew Eleanara about the same amount of time, but herself and Leeteuk had always watched over her a bit closer.  She was the softest of the group, if anyone was, and they tried to protect her as much as possible but in this there was little they could do.

           “I think she’s just exhausted,” he stated simply, letting his head hang.  “If I’d have known any of this was going to happen, I never would have prompted her to find her limit so soon.”  Agitatedly, he rolled his head, feeling several pops in his neck.

           “Hindsight is perfect,” Kharin muttered, looking over at him.  “But we can’t know what will happen in the future.  Do you think she’ll hold up?”

           He did not hesitate in his answer.  “Yes.”  Leeteuk met Kharin’s gaze, intense and honest.  Even if he didn’t think she would, he would have told her otherwise, because he had to believe they would, one way or the other… but he honestly thought she had more to her than they were seeing just yet.  “I think she’ll be fine.  Once we get some rest and better food.”  Guiltily, he recalled the times he had not called her out on not finishing her rations.

           “And when will that be?” she asked softly, the uncertainty of everything they were facing heavy in her voice.

           “With any luck, tonight,” he grinned reassuringly, forcing a happy expression.  Still, he couldn’t help but look over his shoulder at the pair in the middle and the unease in his stomach wouldn’t go away.

           Kharin refrained from saying anything else.  She simply adjusted her grip on the pack and moved forward, conscious of the others following behind.  Summer stayed close to Siwon, ready to steady him if the snow tripped him up, while Kyuhyun and Eunhyuk brought up the rear, taunting each other with brief displays of their power.  A tiny flare flickered in Eunhyuk’s face and he swiped it away with a strand of wind, delivering it back to Kyuhyun.  Occasionally, he retaliated with another strand of wind to mess with the other man’s hair at which point he’d find another flare floating in front of him.  At the very least, it helped to pass the time.

           Despite his best attempts, Leeteuk had to call a stop to reestablish the correct direction once more.  It gave the others a chance to take a break while he raised himself up to look around.  Siwon set Eleanara down, shaking his arms out enthusiastically.  “I’ll trade you,” Eunhyuk sidled up with a quick grin, offering his pack to trade off with.

           Siwon laughed, glancing at Kyuhyun and shook his head.  “Sure.  It’ll be a welcome change,” he grinned, accepting the pack and moving closer to a disgruntled fire elementalist.  Unperturbed, he pushed a mostly full water skin into his hands and suggested, “Drink.  You need it more than you realize.”

           Annoyed, Kyuhyun at least followed his advice, watching as the others did too.  He agreed that he didn’t feel particularly thirsty but there was water everywhere in the air, making it harder to tell.  The respite wasn’t very long but it did allow them to catch their breath and get their fill of water.  They waited until Leeteuk had a chance to give them the right direction and catch his breath in turn before they headed out.  They’d veered slightly off course again as suspected, but were still making good time and he figured they should be able to reach the outskirts of the village before dark.  It was a thought that comforted all of them.  Siwon picked up the rear guard with Kyuhyun and Summer stayed near Eunhyuk in the middle when they continued on.

           At last, the trees thinned and the group made their way out from the forest to stare at the village raptly.  It looked bigger now that they were so close and infinitely more alive as villagers stopped to stare at them, drawing further attention.  Quickly, they made sure their amulets were hidden beneath their clothes and steadied themselves with a deep breath, plumes of frosty breath billowing out in front.

           “Remember,” Leeteuk started with a glance back, “We have come from the monastery and are heading for the capitol city Lornhaldt.”  All of it was true too so they wouldn’t have to worry about fabricating a lie they couldn’t maintain.  Yoogin had confirmed that most of their lack of knowledge would be accepted due to them living in Northsage monastery where news was scarce.  They were all counting on that, in fact.

           The group moved forward slowly, watching a handful of armed villagers break off in their direction.  Leeteuk signaled for them to stop and set the pack he and Kharin had been carrying on the ground.  A certain nervous tension was palpable among them as they eyed the assortment of spears with the oncoming party.  All of them had been trained in combat and they would be able to defend themselves, unarmed if need be, but they had no desire to fight.  They were hungry and tired and could, quite frankly, use just a bit of a break.

           Nervous about their rather haggard appearance, Leeteuk stepped forward as the group before them slowed, spears ready but non-threatening.  “Hello,” he greeted nervously, bowing politely while he waited for an answer.  At a glance, they looked like they themselves did, with slightly tanned faces, mostly dark eyes and indiscernible hair color under the furry hoods covering their heads.  Their expressions weren’t hostile but neither were they welcoming.

           One of the bigger men in the group stepped forward and jabbed the of his spear into the snow covered ground, eyeing him intently.  He was tall, easily six foot and three inches with the build of a bear, thick with muscle instead of fat.  Intense dark gray eyes were partially hooded by lids that sat under dark brown, bushy eyebrows and his chiseled facial features screamed no-nonsense.  “Who are you?” he asked evenly, the perfect example of neutrality without a trace of suspicion or warmth.

           To Leeteuk, whose own control was hardly even close to that, it was very unnerving.  “My name is Leeteuk and we’re from the Northsage monastery,” he went on evenly, gesturing to the party behind him but maintaining eye contact.

           The other man’s eyes narrowed as he mulled that over, taking in their miserable state.  “And why didn’t you come down the mountain pass?” he asked suspiciously, gesturing to the other side of the village where a downward slope from the mountain indicated a path they had missed entirely.

           Leeteuk followed the hand and then sighed.  “An avalanche took out the path.”  Now it was his turn to gesture beyond the forest they had come through.  It was easy to see the displaced snow on the mountain side, covering far more than it should have since there had been a path there less than two days ago.  The other man seemed to nod to himself, as if the explanation confirmed something he had already been pondering.

           Fortunately, from this distance, none of the blood was seen to indicate they had faced combat or that anything had been left behind of the snow wolves they’d vanquished.  “We had to make our own way down another path,” he improvised.  “One of our members succumbed to the weather and exhaustion,” he admitted, letting the worry creep into his voice as he sidestepped to show Eunhyuk holding Eleanara.  He was playing shamelessly on the helpless card and he hoped she couldn’t hear him.

           For a long moment, the other man regarded them intently, weighing his words.  It seemed as if the last bit finally swayed him though while his gaze settled on Eleanara.  “Forgive me, strangers.  We have seen small patrols on our borders.  Soldiers and agents who do not belong here.  I couldn’t be sure you were not of their ilk,” he admitted sourly.  He extended a large gloved hand in welcome.  “I am Marcus Frostbiter,” he grinned, a strong set of well taken care of teeth appearing as his lips pulled back in the friendly expression.  He shook Leeteuk’s hand firmly, offsetting the smaller man.  “We’ve not got much but we should be able to help you get back on your feet.  Come,” he gestured before he headed back through the middle of the group he lead as they waited to fall in around the group.

           Leeteuk stepped back to assist Kharin in moving the pack again and the rest of the group hesitantly filed in behind the pair, crowding closer for comfort.  The faces around them felt more open and concerned now that a decision had been reached.  As they approached the village, more persons waved at them tentatively.  It seemed apparent they were used to visitors of a sort; not unsurprising since they were at the foot of the mountain trail.  Marcus led them to what appeared to be a one story inn with a small dining area that was warm and welcoming.

           As the door closed behind the last pair, the group looked around and realized that most of the present company had split off before reaching the inn, the name of which they had missed on the way in.  Marcus clapped Leeteuk on the shoulder, startling the younger man so that he smiled nervously and paid abrupt attention.  “Welcome to the Frozen Haven,” he chuckled, propelling him forward to meet another bear of a man who was coming out from the back.

           “Hallo, Chief.  What brings you to my hall?” the other man greeted jovially, taking note that the title he used caused a stir in the newcomers as they whispered quietly among themselves.

           “Gairen, how many times do I hafta tell you not to call me Chief?” he sighed, laughter in his voice.  “I’ve got a couple of travelers from the monastery,” he explained with a glance over the group.  “This here’s Leeteuk and the rest are his companions.  The little one seems to have worn herself out and they need a place to rest up for a day or so.”

           Gairen stepped up and looked down at Leeteuk, the six foot two inch frame dwarfing the younger man.  Graying dark brown hair was pulled back in a short ponytail while mischievous hazel eyes danced amidst wrinkles on his face.  The chiseled cheeks and jaw bone made him appear severe at first glance but his mouth, partially hidden by an equally graying beard and mustache, pulled up at the corners constantly.  “Pleasure to meet you, Leeteuk.”  His handshake was just as firm as Marcus’s.  “How about we have a look and see what I can do for you.”

           “You’re in good hands,” Marcus assured the group as he started to walk out.

           “And where are you going, Chief?” Gairen asked with a raised brow, amusement in his voice.

           “I’ve got to get a group together to see about that avalanche,” he laughed, waving as he stepped out into the cold winter air, a blast making the group near the door shiver.

           “Avalanche?” Gairen asked, confused.  He didn’t let it bother him long before he shrugged and guffawed once.

           Uncertainly, the group looked at Gairen while Eunhyuk shifted Eleanara slightly, his arms getting tired after the trek.  She stirred briefly, making a half-hearted attempt to wake that was quickly quieted by Siwon who stepped close to soothe her, his back to Gairen to hide the sleeping mist again.

           “So how many rooms might you be needing?” he asked softly, keeping his voice down so as not to disturb the lass.

           “How much per room?” Leeteuk asked automatically, carefully fishing out the small money pouch he kept stashed on his person.

           “The monastery picks up most of the cost of the rooms but I’d have to ask you to pay for food and the bath.”  His grin widened as their expressions lit up with hope.  Quickly, the pair settled into a lively exchange of suggested costs, going back and forth good-naturedly until Gairen agreed with the final amount and laughed when Leeteuk pressed for warm stones for their beds.  It was decided they could split three rooms and just add a cot to one of them or someone could share a bed.  Leeteuk nodded in agreement of the situation as he watched the innkeeper head behind his bar and retrieve three keys.

           “This way,” he gestured, heading for the back hall near the rear of the dining area.  “We’re in our lean season now, else you might see other guests,” he explained, tossing the keys gently so they jingled as he walked.  “That and this damn war has everyone scared.”  They could tell the thought upset him.

           “Do you have any news?” Kharin asked from slightly behind Denys.

           Gairen paused in mid-stride and turned to look at her.  “My pardon, lass.  I didn’t even get your names.  What might I call ye by?”

           Caught off guard by the abrupt change of subject, she blurted out her name, “Kharin.”

           “Pleasure to meet you,” he saluted her briefly and then let his eyes circle around the group, drawing names from otherwise quiet members.  Leeteuk gave Eleanara’s name when he got to her.  Gairen reached out and smoothed the hair back from her forehead with a kindly smile.  “Poor little thing.  She must be plum wore out.  Though why you’d bring one so young with you is beyond me,” he shrugged, oblivious to their attempts to hide their amusement and astonishment and in some cases concern.  Eleanara was their age, but she had never quite filled out as they had, and this trek had done nothing to help that image.  “Come on then.  A bath and food and then we can talk about this blasted war,” Gairen went on, still oblivious.