Chapter 62

Loss of Order

                In his throne, Enrhyll fidgeted in frustration as he ran over the events of the morning in his mind.  He was beginning to have this suspicion that the elementalists were not going to accept him as their god like they were supposed to.  For the feral Kyuhyun and Eleanara, he had already written them off for now.  Their insistence upon opposing him and getting in his way when he was dealing with others was…aggravating to say the least.  Why?!  He was better than them in every way!  Why did they continue to insist upon resisting what was the natural course of order?

                Clearly, they had been twisted somehow.  Even after he had made them forget those nasty lies about him, they still resisted and thought he was the bad guy here.  Worse still, the newest elementalists were equally as frustrating for no good reason.  He had invited the two elementalists to breakfast this morning, as he had for both Kyuhyun and Eleanara, and had equally frustrating results.  Summer he had left on her own as he would see to her later.  He could not control the use of her power and thus she was something to be treated slightly differently.

                As for the other two though; the only thing he had done was to heal them when they had arrived.  And they had even refused to give him their names…  He had been nothing but polite and they did not even have the courtesy to tell him their names!  Not only that, but they too had attempted to resist him as their friends had.  Hana was able to control their powers and Kwan had almost been enough to forestall an attempt on him, though the tall one had certainly hit him one good time when he had tried to detain them.  Why were they all so ready to fight when he was obviously so much more powerful than them?

                All they had been concerned about were the others; especially the stubborn earth elementalist.  He was not grateful in the least and had demanded…demanded, to see the others here.  How dare he make demands of him!  Just thinking about it made him angry and the flames in the wall sconces flickered briefly.  His hands clenched reflexively from where they were hovering in front of his face and he scowled before smoothing the features out.  He would have had no problem with enlightening them had they but respected him, as was right.

                On the one hand, he was prepared to make some allowances for the water elementalist and even the neutralizer, considering how they had arrived.  He had not considered the effects of traveling underground and so he would give them another chance, but the rest had no such excuse.  As he had told Eleanara, if they would not love him, then they would fear him and that had been most satisfying prompting that look in her eyes.  A rather cruel smirk made its way to his face at the memory.  They were afraid of him after all and that was a powerful feeling.

                Content with that thought, he leaned back in his throne and moved forward with his thinking.  He had yet to hear back from the last set of constructs that he had sent out and it was close to midmorning.  When would they find something?!  There were still two more out there…  That stupid human the light elementalist had stopped him from dealing with was still sitting in the dungeon.  He wasn’t sure what he wanted to do with him yet.  At present, he had little use for anything and was likely just as much a nuisance now as he had been when he first arrived.  Granted, he had not gone to see him since the other day.  Not that he really cared to; he was just one human after all.

                No.  He would leave him there for now.  “Hana,” he called instead, raising a brow when she jumped, startled at the sound of his voice.

                “Yes my lord?” she asked softly, eyes looking up through her lashes as she stepped forward.

                “My people need to see their god,” he smiled benevolently, a fairly angelic expression on his face.

                “Of course, lord Enrhyll,” Hana bowed respectfully, hiding a smile.  It would be good to get away from the elementalists for a little while.  She was rather glad to be away from the obnoxious Kyuhyun and hoped it would last for at least a bit longer.  Every minute she had to babysit them was time she was not able to be around lord Enrhyll and she resented them for that fiercely.  The others were bad enough but the fire elementalist was dreadful to be around with his sharp tongue and grating nature.

                “Come, Hana,” Enrhyll murmured with an imperious gesture for her to follow.  She fell in behind him quickly as the guards hurried to open the doors before him, bowing deeply as he stepped past.  They kept the doors open and would do so until he returned, whenever that might be.

~~~~~~

                Left without specific direction, it fell to Kwan, still nursing a bruised jaw from the water elementalist, to check up on the others after Enrhyll had seen them.  Unlike the first time, he had not seen fit to heal his latest guests after he had overcome them with his power.  They were fortunate he had not been overly angry as Enrhyll had only hit them with wind and earth.  Encasing their lower bodies in rock had not been necessary but he had a nagging suspicion that Enrhyll had wanted to taunt the earth elementalist specifically.

                He had every intention of seeing how bad off they were, but he would much rather know their names before he approached them and, considering their mood before, he had no guarantee they would be inclined to tell him either.  He knew they had been uniformly restrained until further notice so a light guard was all that would be necessary; hopefully at any rate.  When Kwan considered his options, he decided to check in with Eleanara first.  Not only was she more likely to give him the information he desired, she had appeared wholly confused the last time he had seen her, and rightfully so.  The loss of her memories seemed to make her more susceptible to fear and uncertainty and her last meeting with Enrhyll had done nothing to reassure her of anything.

                When he came to the room she was in, there was but a single guard standing outside.  Kwan nodded once, waiting for the younger man to step aside, and allowed himself into the room.  Eleanara was not difficult to locate.  She was seated in the center of the room, loosely bound to the straight backed chair.  Apparently, she had received similar treatment like that of Kyuhyun, though she was far less likely to cause any harm either way.

                “Hello, Eleanara,” Kwan greeted softly, seeing the miserable state she was in.  Captivity did not suit any of them well, but he doubted being alone was a pleasant experience for her.  That seemed a crueler punishment really than having her bound.

                Briefly, she debated if she would answer him or not, but Kwan had done nothing to hurt her so far and he was someone to speak with.  Only Hana and Enrhyll had done her any wrong so far and she hated being alone…  Resignedly, she sighed and murmured back, “Hello.”  Ineffectively, she tugged at the ropes, feeling them dig into her ankles and wrists.  Her feet had been tethered to one of the legs of the chair and her wrists were secured to one side of the frame behind her.  “Are you here to gloat too?” she asked with a touch of anger in her voice.  That neutralizer certainly had last night.

                Kwan smiled sadly and shook his head.  “No.  I was just checking on you,” he assured her instead, a glance around the room showing it was otherwise free of persons or eyes.  Apparently Enrhyll did not think her a threat after all.  Eleanara remained quiet as she eyed him carefully.  Kwan met her gaze steadily, a fairly neutral expression, and nodded his head once.  “I also thought you might like to know that the water elementalist,” and he paused there to see how she would react.

                Eleanara’s eyes widened slightly and she sat up, more attentive now.  “Siwon?” she asked softly, hopeful and desperately wanting it to be good news.

                Kwan nodded, pleased.  “And the earth elementalist,” another pause.

                “Leeteuk?!” she gasped, her eyes lighting up at the name.

                He could see the hope and fear warring in her expression and he continued on quickly, “Are here.  They are fine,” he added, though he wasn’t sure how accurate that statement was exactly.  “Summer is here too,” he continued, taking a tentative step towards her as he saw her start to tear up.  It bothered him that she would cry at all.

                Eleanara wasn’t sure if she was happier that they were here and alright, if Kwan was to be believed, or sad that they were here which meant they’d been captured too.  After a moment, she smiled through her tears and nodded, glad that they were alive and even if she couldn’t see them, they were still close by.  “Thank you,” she finally murmured and took a deep, steadying breath.

                “I am going to see them next if perhaps you have something you wish for me to convey?” he offered hesitantly.  It was not anything that he normally did for any captives but he had spent time with her in bringing her to the capitol.  She had drawn strength from Kyuhyun as often as she had given it to him in turn.  Even now, she was pretending to be better than she was.

                The light elementalist nodded quickly and sniffed.  “Just tell them I’m alright.  Please,” she added, seemingly moderately happy for all that she was utterly confused and tied to a chair.  She wasn’t sure if they would believe him but if they were even remotely as concerned about her as she was about them, the knowledge would be appreciated.

                “I will do so,” he gave her a very small bow and then retreated out of the room quietly.  Kwan had to push away his feelings in the matter as he had listened to what she didn’t say as much as what she did.  Neither she nor Kyuhyun were in Enrhyll’s favor just now for unless he was mistaken, she had not been given food or water since last night.  Her lips were chapped and her voice had been rougher than usual.  He would bet the ropes around her wrists were tinged red again too.  Forcefully, he turned his attention to the other elementalists.  At least he had names now.

                He made it to Kyuhyun’s room easily enough.  None of them were terribly far apart as Enrhyll really had meant for them to be near each other.  They were all still located in the guest wing, in fact, and Kyuhyun’s room was just on the other side of hers really.  He had to walk by Summer’s and the earth elementalist’s…Leeteuk’s room, to get to it.  He bypassed the single guards there and continued down the hall to the fire elementalist’s room.

                Two guards stood watch at his door and they were a bit older and more experienced.  Both had seen fighting on the field and were not easily spooked.  Kwan nodded at them in acknowledgement and stepped inside where an additional two guards met him with wary glances.  Their weapons were not drawn but their hands were on them, ready.  This pairing was a younger man and another older one around Kwan’s age.  A quick glance at the blindfolded elementalist showed he had a split lip and a bruise forming across one cheek.

                He didn’t even need to look at the young one, his eyes darting nervously from the elementalist to Kwan, to know Kyuhyun had gotten to him easily enough.  That boy and his sharp tongue…  The captain stifled a sigh and stepped up to the seated and more secured young man.  His hands and feet had been individually tied to the backing and legs of the chair while an additional band ran around his chest, pinning him firmly in place.  Hana’s doing, no doubt.

                Easily, he removed the blindfold, earning a glare that faded somewhat when he saw who it was.  “You again,” he snorted with a derisive curl of his lip.

                Behind him, Kwan could see the younger guard bristling automatically.  The captain looked at him from under his brows, the attention cowing the guard instantly.  “Yes.  Me again,” he nodded in agreement, shifting his attention back to the elementalist with a lighter expression.  He was glad to see the young man was as well as he was.  The wound on his arm had been hastily treated so the blood covered wrap stood out starkly from the orange of his clothes and his slightly paler complexion, but he seemed in decent spirits, all things considered.

                After a moment of uncomfortable silence where neither seemed to know what to say, Kyuhyun muttered, “And what do you want, Kwan?”  His tone positively dripped with insolence, but he winced when shifting jostled his arm against the upper body bindings.

                Kwan stifled a sigh and unsheathed his dagger easily.  The two guards seemed concerned and even Kyuhyun looked slightly alarmed at the bare blade.  The captain leaned forward and grasped the bindings around his upper body before sliding the dagger under the rough rope.  “No heroics this time,” he murmured for Kyuhyun’s ears only as he sliced through the chord with one swift pull.

                “Captain!” the two guards cried in unison as Kyuhyun jerked in surprise and his brow furrowed in confusion.  This time…?

                He leveled his gaze at them and stood up, sliding the weapon back into the sheathe effortlessly.  “That binding was not necessary,” he explained simply, daring them to contradict him.  They still looked uncomfortable but they subsided with a glance at the captain and the arm wound that had been relieved of constant aggravation with the removal of the rope.

                “Of course, Captain,” the elder of the two nodded finally, forcing himself to relax while the younger remained skeptical and unsure.

                Kwan did not miss Kyuhyun’s gaze either.  The elementalist seemed utterly confused by his action, if not somewhat grateful.  The captain nodded his head once at him in acknowledgement and then relayed, “Eleanara sends her regards and wishes to let you know she is fine.”  The information garnered the concern of the guards again and Kwan did not miss their suspicion.

                Dark eyes narrowed at the admission and Kyuhyun demanded, “How do I know you’re telling the truth?”

                “You don’t,” Kwan responded easily, with a shrug, his eyes flicking up to glance between the guards, “but you would know better than I what she would or would not say.  Or would you rather I say that she was punished most soundly for doing less than you in her last meeting with lord Enrhyll?”

                Kyuhyun’s eyes darkened considerably at the last statement but when he glared at Kwan, he noticed the captain was not looking at him.  He was focused on the guards behind him which made him stop to think.  He had been forthcoming with information so far and had not actively wished them any ill, save for when he was actually trying to hurt Enrhyll.  Kwan had to be aware that the second statement would just piss him off, especially if it was true.  But then again, the first statement was very true.  He would know what Eleanara would say and as she had never been one to let others worry about her if she could help it, she would say that she was alright, so long as it was at least partially true.  Likely, that meant she wasn’t and was putting on a good front, but it was indeed something he could believe as coming from her.  Balefully, he looked at Kwan from under his lashes and nodded once, still trying to sort out what he had been told.  He was grateful to the man for taking care of the one binding and the blindfold but he was still uncertain as to what he meant about his warning to him too.  What heroics?

                Satisfied for the moment, Kwan took a small breath and nodded at the guards who seemed far less suspicious with the addition of his latest statement.  He took one final look at Kyuhyun before he stepped back out into the hallway where the guards met him with alert gazes.  “All is well,” he assured them as he quietly closed the door behind him.  They nodded in agreement and resumed their stoic posts.

                Kwan continued on to the next room.  He bypassed the empty one that was still waiting for the next elementalist and headed for Siwon’s room.  The water elementalist had a single guard on the outside and he saluted Kwan nervously as he approached.  “At ease,” he instructed the middle aged man who seemed relieved by the comment.  The guard stepped aside to allow Kwan access and the captain stepped inside to come face to face with the tallest member of their party so far.  His jaw ached in remembrance of their last encounter and he took a steadying breath when he regarded the stout young man tied in a way that was more similar to Eleanara’s treatment.

                As soon as Siwon saw Kwan step through the door, his eyes narrowed and he automatically lunged against the restraints, prompting the single guard inside to step forward and grab his shoulder hastily as the chair tipped forward slightly.  “You,” Siwon growled fiercely, anger suffusing his face.

                Kwan was still confused by his unexplainable anger towards him.  He did not know the elementalist beyond this morning and yet he seemed convinced that he knew him.  “Greetings, Siwon,” he started politely instead, holding the other man’s gaze steadily.  It was easy to see that he was slightly bruised from the confrontation during breakfast, though no overt harm had come to him when Enrhyll had attacked them.

                Siwon glared at the captain, recognizing the face he had seen in the scrying bowl many times.  “You bastard,” he muttered instead.  It did not escape him that he knew his name, but he was more angry by what he remembered.  This man had held Eleanara and Kyuhyun captive for days and had allowed the fire elementalist to be abused to at least some extent. 

                Slowly, Kwan waved the other guard back who carefully relinquished his grip on the elementalist’s shoulder.  He shrugged at the name, unable to recall how many times he had been called that in the past, and began, “I am Captain Kwan.  Do I know you, sir?” he queried, completely certain he did not.

                “I saw you,” Siwon stated through clenched teeth.  “I know how you treated them.  You will pay for that,” he promised quietly, settling against the back of the chair slowly.

                It took a moment for the answer to sink in but then Kwan understood what he must have meant.  The water elementalist had the ability to scry and it was probable that he had been following them the whole time prior to his capture.  Slowly, Kwan nodded to himself and sighed.  “Perhaps,” he conceded quietly, to Siwon’s and the guard’s surprise.  “Be that as it may, I see that you are well enough,” he stated simply, a glance around showing that he at least had been given water even after their breakfast this morning.

                Siwon remained close lipped and maintained his glare.  He had promised himself that he would not forget this man’s face and he was not inclined to let go of his anger so easily.  Enrhyll had been far more than he had anticipated, but this man here was only human.  Intently, he focused on his power, trying forcefully to do something with it to lash out at him.

                If nothing else, Kwan recognized the determination in Siwon’s gaze and he felt a tremor of concern.  He wasn’t entirely sure that the bindings would contain the elementalist any more than they had for Kyuhyun when they had been riding towards the city.  “Eleanara wishes to let you know she is alright,” he mentioned offhandedly, pleased when his expression faltered and the tension faded somewhat in the space between them.

                “Prove it,” Siwon said after a brief pause as he debated how true that might be.

                “I cannot,” Kwan shook his head in denial.

                “Then I don’t believe you,” the elementalist retorted, his expression focusing again.

                Kwan sighed and glanced around the room briefly.  On the table, he spotted a carafe, hopefully filled with water.  Quickly, he moved over to retrieve it and then made his way back to stand in front of Siwon, within arm’s reach had he been free.  “See for yourself,” he offered, tilting the open mouth of the container towards the elementalist so he could see the water within.  “You have but a moment,” he warned softly with a glance at the guard who seemed concerned by the assistance.

                “Captain…” the man murmured uncertainly and glanced around nervously.

                “Yes?” Kwan asked imperiously in an attempt to cow the younger man.  Fortunately for him, it worked and the young man twisted his features to acceptance and stepped back, ready instead.

                Uncertainly, Siwon looked between the carafe and Kwan, trying to determine if this was some sort of ploy, but when he read nothing in the other man’s eyes, he grumbled to himself and focused instead on the water.  Immediately, he called to mind Eleanara, infinitely grateful that he did not need his hands to scry.  Her image came to the surface quickly, and though she was bound and looked less than in perfect condition, Siwon could not help but smile to see the young woman alive and relatively well.  He would have moved on to the others, but the container was pulled away to his consternation.  “Hey!” he snapped, looking up to glare at Kwan who was returning the carafe to the table.

                “As I said.  She is alright, per her words,” Kwan explained succinctly, having seen the smile on the elementalist’s face.  “The others are likewise,” he added, knowing he was at least partially correct.  Summer had been perfectly fine when he had left her last night and Kyuhyun was well enough, all things considered.  He had yet to check on Leeteuk but that would be very soon indeed.

                The water elementalist was confused and angry.  It was an odd combination for him.  He wanted very much to hate Kwan because for days, his was the only face he had to focus on, but at least in this meeting, he had given him a glimpse of the others, if nothing else.  It was enough to give him hope which was more than he had after this morning.  He could not quite muster the ‘thank you’ he would have otherwise, but he nodded reluctantly at the captain at last, conceding he was grateful for that little bit of vision he had been granted.

                “Take care,” Kwan nodded at the guard with a final parting glance at Siwon.  Both parties seemed uncertain how to respond but the guard finally saluted and Siwon held his tongue, though his eyes remained on the door long after the Captain had stepped out.  He had certainly given him much to think on.

                Moderately satisfied with the last meeting, Kwan backtracked through the hall and headed up to Leeteuk’s room, right next to Kyuhyun’s.  The guards there acknowledged him again before he stopped in front of the door that had but one guard again.  He was younger and he definitely seemed nervous.  “Step aside,” Kwan instructed at the young man when he seemed a bit frozen in place.

                “Yes, sir,” the guard mumbled when he moved slowly out of the way, a backwards glance at the door his only other reaction.

                That did not make Kwan feel all that well.  When he stepped inside, he was surprised to find two guards, one partially sunk into the ground and the other holding his sword firmly against the unconscious Leeteuk’s neck, a small trickle of blood seeping down to stain his shirt.  The captain blinked and then stepped forward boldly, grabbing the blade of the sword with his gloved hand and shoving it away from the unconscious man in the chair.  “Idiots,” he hissed at the guards while he yanked off a glove and hurriedly felt for a pulse, sighing with relief when he felt one beating strongly under his fingers.  Stiffly, he straightened up and with an annoyed glance at the one partially entombed and, at present, unconscious, whirled on the other shaken guard.  “What happened?!” he demanded forcefully.

                The standing guard babbled fairly incoherently initially until he finally straightened out and managed to explain that the elementalist had insisted upon seeing his companions and knowing their fate.  When his demands had been denied, he had made the earth move and tried to swallow up his guard before he had been able to knock him unconscious with the of his sword.  The blade had been insurance in case he woke up again and tried something else.

                Feeling the beginning of a headache coming on, Kwan pinched the bridge of his nose and took a calming breath.  At least the fools hadn’t hurt him any more than a simple scratch, though it certainly looked worse than it was.  He seemed a bit more bruised than Siwon had, but that wasn’t entirely surprising.  He had been the one annoying Enrhyll the most this morning.  Carefully, he reached down to grasp Leeteuk’s chin and lifted his face up to get a better look at him.  “Hey!” he called sharply, reaching up with his free hand to tap on the elementalist’s face firmly.  “Leeteuk!” he called again when the first attempt brought no reaction.

                After a moment, Leeteuk’s brow furrowed and he groaned weakly as his eyes flickered open reluctantly.  It took him a moment to focus on what he was looking at and then he snapped away and tried to jerk back, freeing his chin swiftly but coming up against the backing of the chair.  “What are you doing?” he demanded immediately, a glare as formidable as Siwon’s gracing his expression.

                “Checking on you, Leeteuk,” Kwan nodded briefly, glad that he at least had some spirit left to him.  The earth elementalist seemed a bit worse for wear, but at least he was cognizant.

                “Why?” Leeteuk asked suspiciously, the glare fading somewhat but his expression still wary, especially since he knew his name.  He had been careful not to just give that out.

                “Because that is what I do.”  The explanation was not what he was expecting, obviously, but given the circumstances, it was quite true.  Distractedly, he looked over at the guard still stuck in the floor.  “I don’t suppose you’d consider freeing him?” he asked with a glance at the elementalist out of the corner of his eye.

                “No,” Leeteuk answered quickly, shaking his head in denial.

                Kwan noticed the guard behind him snarl at the response and he stepped in swiftly, “Not even for information?”

                That gave him pause for thought.  Leeteuk looked from the trapped guard to Kwan and measured him as best he could.  Enrhyll had refused to give any sort of information on the others and while he knew Siwon had been alright since the last time he had seen him, he had no idea how the rest were.  He just wanted to make sure they were alright…  And he desperately wanted to know what had been done to Eleanara.  Siwon had not been able to tell him much.  “Your information first,” he stated softly, focusing intently on Kwan.

                “Only half,” he negotiated in return.  “The rest when you free him.”

                Leeteuk frowned darkly and narrowed his eyes.  Oh, how he wished he could just make all of them disappear, but his control was shaky at best being bound and that would not help him get any information at present.  Even if he did make them disappear, he’d still be bound and stuck in this damn room all by himself.  A fat lot of good that would do him…  “Fine,” he grumbled reluctantly.  “Half now, the rest after.”

                “Very well,” Kwan bowed slightly, surprising the young man further.  He moved closer to Leeteuk and spoke quietly, “The others are alive and well.  I have just been to see them.  Siwon, Kyuhyun, Summer and Eleanara,” he added the last pointedly.

                The earth elementalist closed his eyes and took a breath, trying to feel if what he had been told was true.  He had no way of knowing for sure, but he needed to believe it.  He needed for them to be alright.  As much as he didn’t want to assist Kwan, Leeteuk opened his eyes again and nodded slightly.  Even if it was a lie, it was more than Enrhyll had been willing to give him and if the captain was lying in any way, then he would make him pay dearly for it.  “I don’t suppose you’d be willing to untie my hands so I can free him faster?” he asked hopefully.

                Kwan gave him a deadpan expression and then quirked one brow.  “You already know the answer to that, Leeteuk,” he chided softly.

                Leeteuk grumbled under his breath softly and then set his gaze on the man half-sunk in stone.  His power was harder to control without his hands so this was going to be interesting.  After a moment, his eyes narrowed and the earth around the trapped guard shimmered lightly before a platform slowly rose from under him and pushed him up out of the ground.  The platform rose a bit higher than intended but when the man was otherwise free, Leeteuk stopped his summoning and slumped forward, tired from the concentrated effort needed to direct the power without additional guidance.  “There!” he breathed heavily and stared at Kwan, demanding the rest of their bargain.

                Another man might well have walked away then.  It would not have been hard, considering Leeteuk’s proud and somewhat haughty demeanor but Kwan prided himself on keeping his word.  He cleared his throat and leaned forward, a menacing expression on his face which the guard behind the elementalist could clearly see.  He seemed satisfied that whatever Kwan was going to say wasn’t going to be pleasant.  So that the guard wouldn’t hear, he whispered directly into his ear, “She misses you and hopes you are well.”  Oh, she had not said as much to him, but he was neither blind nor a fool.  He would bet a great deal that both were entirely true and by the look on Leeteuk’s face, he was almost certain that he was right.

                The elementalist’s hands tightened reflexively behind him as Kwan told him what he actually wanted to hear.  He didn’t even question that she would say such things to this man; just accepted them as fact because he believed it.  Quietly, he hung his head in silent acceptance and then looked back up to whisper through clenched teeth, “Let me see her.  Please,” he requested softly.

                “You know I can’t,” Kwan responded just as quietly, a hint of sadness in his voice.

                Leeteuk made a frustrated sound at the back of his throat before straining against the bonds briefly.  It was a futile effort and he knew it, but he would be damned if he was going to sit here and not try to do anything.  The others were so close…

                Kwan sighed and shook his head as he stepped over to retrieve a napkin that would serve as a blindfold as well.  “This is for your own good,” he stated softly as he quickly tied the blinding cloth around the elementalist’s eyes, despite his attempts to avoid it.  Perhaps if he couldn’t see, he would not be tempted to try and use his power to get himself into even further trouble.  Who knew what Enrhyll would do if he found that he could use his element without his hands?

                “Damn you, Kwan!” Leeteuk growled in frustration, tugging at the bindings that held him again.  The rope was strong though and he couldn’t see enough before the blindfold was put on to even think about trying to get himself free in this state.  He was just as likely to hurt himself if he did try anything anyway.

                “Keep an eye on him,” he instructed the guard who saluted and nodded emphatically at the command.  Easily, Kwan stepped back out into the hallway and greeted the single guard standing at the doorway again.  He didn’t say anything to him; just met his gaze and nodded once in acknowledgement.  He would probably have to remain out of sight for a bit so that it wouldn’t appear as if he was overly interested in them after this.

                He figured that he should probably check on Summer since he had taken care of the others so far.  It shouldn’t take more than a minute, though his visits with the others had certainly taken longer than he had intended.  They had been useful though, in a way.  Abruptly, he nodded to himself and started to head up around the corner to the neutralizer’s room.

                “There you are, Kwan,” Enrhyll murmured as he stepped into the guest wing and spotted the Captain walking down the hall.  He was feeling much better now that he had a chance to see his people and let them recognize his superiority.  “And where have you been in my absence?” he asked with a curious gleam in his eye.

                Kwan bowed deeply when he came to stand before Enrhyll, noticing Hana’s presence just behind him as usual.  “My lord.  I have seen to the elementalists.  They are alive and secure and awaiting your judgment,” he explained confidently, keeping his face down and his voice carefully modulated.

                “Of course they are,” Enrhyll stated automatically with a dismissive wave of his hand.  “You are not needed here though.  Go check on that imposter in the dungeon,” he instructed in an offhand manner.

                It was difficult for Kwan to keep his features neutral at the command.  Enrhyll gave him orders all the time, but until now he had generally been relegated to staying near the elementalists.  Still bowing deeply, he murmured, “Of course, my lord.”  He waited until Enrhyll had passed him and pointedly stood up before Hana had a chance to make it by with him still bowed.  He met her smirking gaze squarely and to his amusement, she flinched when he followed her with his eyes in a manner akin to a hunter and his prey.  Considering they were turning around the corner, he was going to see either Summer or Eleanara; both were equally likely…

                Kwan took a small steadying breath and straightened his leather armor perfunctorily.  The sooner he checked on the man in the dungeon, the sooner he would be able to return to confirm what he had missed.  Purposefully, he strode out of the hall, an expression on his face daring anyone to stop him for anything.

 

(a/n:  Hello to my wonderful readers!  Thank you for being so patient with me and I am sorry for the delay.  I've been rather distracted of late and I've no idea why.  :S  I hope that you enjoyed the update though and, as always, I am curious to know what you might have thought.

For the sake of progression, I have taken more of a blanket approach to the presently captured group.  As much as I love writing about them individually, and could probably add pages-and chapters- to the story by doing so, it also serves to drag it out more.  I do not intend to rush the ending but I also want to get there in a reasonable amount of time and it's fast approaching, or so I would imagine.

Hopefully, I'll be able to get the next update out a bit sooner.  Thank you to my readers, silent and otherwise, and especially my commentors who really do brighten my day.  <3 )