Biting Wind and More Snow

Loss of Order

            Full dawn had Leeteuk waking the others while Eleanara worked out the finer points of the barrier.  It wasn’t that she had anything else to decide really, but she was nervous to try something so large scale and she would need to be in the middle of the group for best efficiency.  By the time the others had woken and were packing up and retrieving their own rations, Kyuhyun was sustaining another fire with which they could get warm and to have some warmer water to drink instead of the ice in their water skins or the snow on the ground.

            “Slept well did you?” Kharin teased as she spied a silly smile on Eleanara’s face while the smaller woman ate.  She had received the tantalizing news from Summer who had seen her sleeping during the night and was mildly miffed she had missed it.

            Eleanara flushed at the jab and immediately went on the defensive, “It wasn’t my idea.”

            “Relax,” Kharin laughed, ruffling Eleanara’s hair affectionately, sending strands of loose curls everywhere.  “I was teasing and with you shivering the way you were last night, someone was going to have to sleep with you.”  She stuck her tongue out playfully, a mischievous grin crossing her face when her word usage caused her to flush even more.  After a moment, she relented and the grin faded, “Come on then.  We’ve got another long day ahead of us,” she explained, finishing packing up, another full ration down and the sleeping roll attached to the bottom of the pack.

            Still flushing, Eleanara nodded in agreement and hurried up, taking another bite of food and swallowing with some difficulty.  She located her water skin at the edge of their camp where it had stayed while they maintained the watch.  While she was inordinately pleased it had worked as well as it had, she definitely needed to find something else more suited to the job.  Her water skin just wasn’t a good watch light...  She attached it to her pack while the rest were adjusting their own and getting ready to face the fierce, snow laden winds coming through the pass.  The weather had turned colder through the night and the chill in the morning had yet to let up, leaving the group subdued and nervous.

            The group was strapped in and still getting warmed as Leeteuk peered at the map and then at the pass onto the mountain path.  Dutifully, they helped check each other’s straps, pulling on the ends to make sure they were snug enough.  Kyuhyun almost managed to trip Eunhyuk up when he pulled harder than necessary, laughing as the wind elementalist fell into him on purpose, an amused grin on his face.  Kharin moved over to help Eleanara put the pack on, testing it firmly to make sure it was attached like it was supposed to be.  She had to stifle a laugh when the light elementalist was nearly put off balance by the weight and she held her steady as she regained her composure.  “Come on now.  You’ll have to do better than that,” she winked, half-serious and half-joking.

            “I’m working on it,” Eleanara stated, her thumbs hooked under the shoulder straps determinedly.

            Kharin let the matter drop and turned to look at the rest of the group, noticing Siwon taking one final glance over Summer and nodding to himself.  As one, they glanced at the opening with some trepidation, unused to the amount of cold and wind that continued to pour from the mouth in a never ending stream.  Two sheer walls rose up in a v shape that allowed the winds to pass through and led to a path that wound down the mountain, bending and twisting as it went so that the path was unclear from here.  As Leeteuk stood at the opening, he shivered to himself, feeling the bite of the wind through his additional coat, and called back, “Perhaps now is a good time to try your idea, Eleanara.”

            All eyes but his turned to her and she shrank in on herself uncertainly, for just an instant doubting what she had already decided upon.  The moment passed as quickly as it had come and with a glance to Kharin who nodded reassurance, she clenched her hands tighter around the straps on her pack and steeled herself determinedly.  With a firmly structured thought of what she wanted, she summoned a barrier large enough to cover their group, if they weren’t too spread out.  The immediate expenditure took her breath away as she was unprepared for it, making her vision blur temporarily like when she stood up too fast.  Once it passed though, she was well enough and a glance around showed that the others had felt the change in turn.

            “Very nice, Nara,” Siwon smiled as he threw an arm around her shoulder and pulled her close in a congratulatory hug.  She smiled weakly and looked around as the cessation of the biting cold seemed to make everyone more agreeable.

             “We should be good for about an hour,” she assured them, warning that the barrier may fail if she wasn’t able to sustain it while she walked.  “It is fairly equidistant around me so I should probably be in the middle,” she mused, thinking out loud.

            “Let’s not waste any more time then,” Kyuhyun encouraged, stepping forward and getting the whole procession going, Leeteuk’s placement in the lead notwithstanding.  In accordance with the new order, Siwon gestured for her to precede him behind Kyuhyun who was following along in the wake of Summer.  The neutralizer traveled where Eleanara usually did and Eunhyuk and Kharin brought up the rear, an effective hind guard, and they looked quite smug about it too.

            While the group walked, they could see the wind veering around them, flakes of snow carried in the swift passage of air.  Eleanara and Summer could both sense the barrier contorting to bend around whatever walls they were close to so that it was constantly changing but it never altered any of the surfaces it skimmed along.  The cost had been about what she expected and she wondered how long she would be able to maintain it.  If nothing else, she considered it fairly important that the barrier stay up while the wind carried on as it was right now; time enough to worry about the rest of it later.

            Because of the respite from the elements, their travel was easier than they had first anticipated.  In the front, Leeteuk and Summer broke the path, slogging through snow several inches deep and making it easier for those behind them to follow, relieved from having to battle the onerous winds in turn.  Kyuhyun sang softly as he normally would to pass time and the rest maintained a quiet undertone of conversation.  The wind continued to howl around them so Eleanara was only able to catch snippets here and there, but Siwon at least tried to converse as he discussed the theory and possible uses of their elements.  If nothing else, it helped to pass the time, even if she wasn’t entirely focused on it.  After about an hour, she felt the barrier begin to weaken and just before it would have failed, she reinforced it, recognizing the expenditure as less than what would be needed to reinstate it, but still notable.

            Siwon noticed when Eleanara slowed and then paused as he had intentionally been keeping pace with her.  He watched her expression closely and could tell that she had done something but it wasn’t immediately evident.  Gently, he placed an arm around her to help propel her forward at his pace.  “Did you just sustain it?” he asked quietly, leaning down to speak into her ear and still supporting her though he could feel she didn’t need it just yet.

            “Yes.  It would be more taxing to redo so I’m just trying to maintain it for now,” she assured him in a cheery tone, smiling bravely as she stepped forward to keep her placement.  She was grateful for his assistance but she couldn’t rely on it.  She had to be strong, or at least that was what she told herself.

            For the group as a whole, time dragged on and the path continued to wind, never changing greatly, but still sloping downward gently, one bend after another.  At one point, they did have to take care going past a narrow section on an outcrop, but they all managed to file past without any mishaps, Leeteuk made it across first and carefully kept an eye on the others that followed, ready to use his ability if need be.  Summer slipped across with no problem; both Kyuhyun and Siwon kept close to Eleanara to make sure she was steady and the agile Kharin and Eunhyuk made it without incident.  They resumed their journey without further ado and Eleanara had to sustain the barrier twice more before they finally called a halt for a break.

            The last time she sustained it, she nearly stumbled and only Siwon’s quick step forward managed to keep her standing.  She smiled at him apologetically and he just kept a closer eye on her, measuring how much each renewal cost her.  At the rate they were going, she wouldn’t be able to keep it up for the rest of the day and he wondered what it would be like when she let the barrier down.  He remained close to her when they stopped, looking around at the others with watchful eyes and waiting for a chance to speak to Leeteuk or Kharin.

            When they paused on the path, sheltering as much as they could against the mountain, Leeteuk raised stone seats for them all while Kyuhyun  sustained a fire in the middle.  It was enough to keep them warmer, insulated against the cold by the barrier, and to melt snow to give them drinking water while they ate another ration.  All of them were mindful this was day two and they had enough for ten days… supposedly.  Already, they were getting bored of the simple fare and the changeless scenery.

            On the plus side of things though, they discovered that within the barrier, their water skins didn’t freeze through as they had been doing.  The water was still plenty cold but it was also a liquid they could drink easily.  Even though it was day two, Leeteuk was mindful of the task before them and as he had been doing frequently, he continued to keep an eye on the other group members.  Slowly, he ate his ration and watched them interact, perched as they were on their seats.

            Kharin and Eunhyuk were finished eating and playing rock paper scissors to pass the time.  Summer was talking with Kyuhyun who was partially paying attention to her, his concentration split between her and the fire, presumably.  Siwon looked thoughtful and Eleanara simply seemed tired and distracted.  Again, he caught her only finishing half her ration and he frowned.  He knew as well as the rest of them that just because they didn’t feel hungry, it didn’t mean they weren’t.

            He was about to go mention something to her when Siwon stood up and moved over next to him, pausing as he collected his thoughts.  Leeteuk waited patiently.  “I’m not sure she can keep the barrier up all day yet,” Siwon finally stated quietly, glancing at Eleanara in concern.  She was fidgeting with her water skin, oblivious for the time being.

            Leeteuk sighed and nodded to himself.  He had not been able to keep an eye on her like he would have preferred, but he had figured as much.  “We are still new to our strengths,” he stated quietly.  “Hopefully, she’ll recognize when she should stop.”

            Siwon looked at him skeptically.  “You know she intends to keep it up as long as we keep moving.”

            There was nothing the older man could say to that.  As long as they’d known her, Eleanara was not one to complain much but neither was she one to ask for help when she needed it, as the other night had proven adeptly.  He wasn’t as worried about the rest, since they seemed unconcerned for the time being and he was glad for them, but he couldn’t make any of them do anything they didn’t want to.  “Just keep an eye on her,” he stated, more of a request than a demand, as he stood up and placed a hand on the taller man’s shoulder.

            “Of course,” Siwon smiled, his expression confident.

            With that, Leeteuk had to be satisfied as he completely forgot to check on her when they started to get up.  They only rested as long as it took them to eat, drink and catch their breaths before they were back on their feet and moving again.  Unsurprisingly, despite the fact that they weren’t fighting the wind, they all began to feel the effects of walking in snow drifts for the greater part of the day.  Eleanara wasn’t the only one whose pace slowed down, though it may well have been Leeteuk doing so consciously based on their ability and his own.  His feet were the ones breaking the path for them so it was easier to tread but that didn’t mean it was effortless for those behind him.

            Still, for Eleanara, the burden of maintaining the barrier was beginning to wear on her and she could feel it.  A brief look around showed that she was having a harder time than the rest; a fact she resented.  “Bugger it,” she muttered to herself as she felt the barrier weakening again, the second time after their break.  As she reached out to sustain it, she felt her world spin for just a second and then she stumbled forward, reaching blindly for support.

            Kyuhyun lurched forward when he felt something bump into him from behind and then leaned backwards perilously as the same force stopped and pulled on him.  “Hey,” he grumbled when he felt the weight cling to him despite his attempt to walk ahead.  “What gives?” he demanded, turning around to glare at Eleanara who Siwon was helping to stand, lifting her under the arms to set her upright, a concerned expression on his face.

            “I'm sorry,” she breathed, her complexion pale as she clung to Siwon for his strength.

            The procession ground to a halt while the rest looked to see what had caused the disruption in the middle.  “What’s up?” Kharin and Eunhyuk asked as they came up behind Siwon to look down at Eleanara.  Of course they had seen her fall and it was impossible not to notice the drained expression she wore but they kept the worry from their faces with an effort.  Kharin met Siwon’s gaze and he sighed with a shrug.  That was all he needed to do and she sighed and shook her head.  Sensing her frustration, Eunhyuk nudged her with an elbow, prompting her to chuckle.

            “I just stumbled,” Eleanara tried to assure them, desperate not to be a burden.

            Leeteuk and Summer came up around Kyuhyun who still seemed annoyed that she had chosen his pack to hang on but his expression didn’t last.  Leeteuk moved closer and peered down at her.  “You’ve been sustaining the barrier all day.  Are you sure you’re okay?”  She nodded fiercely and swallowed hard.  He looked at her skeptically but didn’t say anything further to her.  “Kyuhyun.  Would you mind taking point for now?” he asked instead, directing his gaze at the other man who shrugged and slogged ahead with Summer joining him shortly.  “Come on then,” he urged, reaching out his hand so she could take it, ignoring her reluctance.

            Uncertainly, she reached out and slid her hand into his so that he could help to pull her along.  Siwon stayed close behind her but with Leeteuk’s help in moving forward, her steps were more sure and she didn’t stumble as much.  Kharin and Eunhyuk drifted to the back again but they remained alert and the former kept a closer eye on the three in the center.

            In the lead, Summer helped Kyuhyun remain at the pace the others were setting, keeping tabs on the ebb and flow of the field around them as it melded with the surfaces it came in contact with.  The pair peered ahead through the snow obscured view, conceding that they were coming to another one-sided path with a steep drop down on the other side but at least the path was wide so they didn’t have to worry about being near the edge.  Even so, the party slowed down considerably and made their steady way across, cautious and alert.  Leeteuk in particular paid attention to the feel of the ground beneath them, reading the strength of the platform they walked upon.  It didn’t feel as if it was going to give any time soon but he was vigilant just in case.

            Steadily, the group plodded on, gradually becoming aware that even with the barrier, as the sun continued to dip closer to the mountain walls, the temperature began to drop and while the wind did not bite into them, that didn’t mean they weren’t cold.  The barrier protected them from the majority of it but after the relative warmth she had granted them, the drop in temperature was noticeable.  Around the end of the next hour when Leeteuk was aware that the barrier should be about to fail, he paid closer attention to Eleanara.  Easily, he read her body language as he felt her grip tighten and he knew she was about to try and sustain the barrier again.  Over her head, he glanced back at Siwon in warning and nodded as he slowed up just as he felt her falter completely.  Both reached to catch her and were successful in stopping her from falling face first into the snow.

            Gently, they laid her down and Siwon called ahead, “Wait up!  Eleanara’s down.”

            Kharin and Eunhyuk came running up, peering over Siwon’s shoulders in concern.  “What happened?” they asked as one, sharing brief amused glances before looking at Siwon whose gaze went from one to the other quickly.

            Summer hurried back from the front to see what was going on, taking note of the cluster around Eleanara while Kyuhyun remained stubbornly at the front, annoyance on his face.  After a second, he moved grudgingly back towards the group too.

            The circle peered down at the light elementalist in concern when her eyes fluttered open and she blinked in confusion, briefly disoriented.  “Oh dear,” she murmured worriedly as her eyes met Leeteuk’s.  “Did I faint?” she asked with a cringe, glancing around at the rest of the concerned faces.

                “You did,” he agreed somberly, nodding to Siwon to help give her a lift to her feet.  Easily, they hefted her up, the action almost upsetting her balance again by their combined effort.  Reflexively, she gripped tightly to their sleeves and grit her teeth.  “That’s better,” he smiled, glancing around.

                Kharin and Eunhyuk sighed in relief, reassuring grins coming to their faces.  “Don’t worry us like that,” she chided, reaching out to nudge Eleanara’s chin with her fingers while the wind elementalist ruffled her hair, bringing the ghost of a smile to her face.

                As a group and through her, they were beginning to understand the effort it took to sustain a barrier as large as hers for as long as she was.  She gave the smaller woman another reassuring smile before she took her spot at the back of the group and summoned a small sphere of darkness which she cradled in her palm, watching it intently, determined to maintain it as long as possible.  Eunhyuk at least waited until they had started walking again before he summoned his own sphere of wind which he sent spinning around his traveling partner teasingly.

               Kyuhyun returned to the front, ignoring what was going on behind him while Summer resumed her spot, keeping an eye on the barrier as she had been before.  The strength did not change, except for when it was about to wane, but it fluxed constantly depending on what they were near.  Siwon  and Leeteuk kept an eye on Eleanara as they traveled forward, the smallest sandwiched in the middle.  Leeteuk took her hand again and pulled her forward aware she was still dragging despite his best efforts to the contrary.

                Despite whatever weakness afflicted Eleanara, there was only one thing to do and that was to keep moving forward as a group.  They couldn’t very well stop for any extended period of time this early on, nor did she want them pausing on her behalf.  There was no way around the fact that time was ultimately against them and the people they were supposed to protect.  Unfortunately, it soon became apparent that even with the helping hand, Eleanara was struggling more and more and even the rest of the group began to show signs of exhaustion as they wrestled with conditions they were all unused to.  The signs were small but noticeable; a stumble here, one foot dragging there and both Kharin and Eunhyuk had dispersed their spheres with frustrated waves.  Even Kyuhyun seemed a bit winded by the continuous motion forward.

                Plumes of frosted breath billowed out in front of each individual, every breath an effort with each forced step.  Legs that normally cooperated felt leaden and unresponsive as even the strongest members of the group began to stumble.  It wasn’t long before each pair was relying on the other, hands clasped to help support the other when they faltered.  Iron determination kept Leeteuk and Siwon from faltering as bad since they had none to support them and their charge certainly wasn’t capable of assisting either of them anyway.  Kharin and Eunhyuk noticed from the back that the three in the center were faltering more and they felt slightly guilty having the easiest time with the snow being completely broken for them.

                Before the next hour was up, Kharin bypassed Siwon smoothly and placed a hand on Eleanara’s shoulder, effectively stalling the trio.  “Give me your pack,” she suggested, already starting to take the strap under her hand.

                Their actions paused as Leeteuk turned and smiled appreciatively at Kharin.  He released Eleanara’s hand so she could slide out from under her burden.  Somewhat embarrassed by her lapse, she was slow to disentangle herself, which gave the pair ahead time to walk out from under the barrier and they exclaimed in surprise at the unexpected temperature change before coming back around to see what the hold-up was.  Apologetically, she met their gazes and Summer sighed and shook her head but she was wearing a smile.  Kyuhyun just looked annoyed and impatient, as per usual.  Noticing his expression, Summer smacked his shoulder and glared at him.

                As soon as Kharin had the pack, she returned to the back with Eunhyuk, a shrug indicating she didn’t mind.  She as least understood physical strength was not one of Eleanara’s strong points, but neither did she just give up.  It had become a habit of hers to help compensate for the weaker woman’s physical shortcomings and vice versa, since the healer had infinitely more patience and empathy than the headstrong shadow elementalist.