CHAPTER 6

She's My Girl
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Snickering, Sandie pressed the end button of her phone feeling less lonely after bothering Darie with her call. She looked out at the wide open space in front of her swinging her legs. She was sitting on the ledge of the stock room’s second floor window thinking this is probably the least likely she could run into a teacher.  

 

She leaned her head on the window sill looking like she’s contemplating about life when in reality, she is just bored out of her mind. Just what do you do in here when you’re skipping classes? She internally scoffed. Obviously, there’s nothing to do so students just opted to go to classes anyway. This school is as pathetically boring as her sister. She wondered how her friends are enjoying their morning classes… if they ever attended it to begin with. She frowned when she spotted a movement near the trees and saw a male’s silhouette slightly hidden from the shade. Was that a teacher? He seemed to be watching her but when he turned and took a rake, she dismissed him as a school janitor.

 

She left the stock room after an hour and almost got in time for Darie’s next class when she heard the bell rung. She saw HyunA already sitting with Minzy at their math class who waved her forward, their faces grinning.

 

“So, what happened with Donghae?” HyunA asked eagerly. “MInzy told me he rejected you?”

 

“Why’re you looking so happy over that?” Sandie asked taking a seat next to them.

 

“Because I heard things,” HyunA said. “Like what happened this morning.” She nudged Sandie’s shoulder teasingly. “That’s the way to go, Darie. Don’t ever stop just because he said no.”

 

Minzy giggled. “The only happiness I get out of that is that it made Jessica really furious. She was sitting there muttering angrily in her seat.”

 

Sandie smirked. Yes, she guessed she could share Minzy’s happines. The only good thing that comes out of this whole homesickness—or school sickness, if there is one—is that look on Jessica’s face. Sandie 2 Jessica zero.

 

“Well, brace yourself because I’m pretty sure she’s cooking up another way to get back at you for snatching her delusions away from her,” HyunA said.

 

“She can try,” Sandie said almost arrogantly.

 

HyunA and Minzy both studied her. “Wow,” Minzy said. “I have never heard you so… confident when it comes to fighting Jessica head on.”

 

“Whatever that is happening to you,” HyunA added. “Keep it up. Jessica’s so full of herself thinking she can get everyone to bend to her will.”

 

“That’s easy for you to say,” Minzy told her. “You’re one of those people she’s leaving alone.”

 

“That’s because she knew I wouldn’t care if I get suspended or kicked out of here if I ruined that fake face of hers,” HyunA answered then made a face. “And the fact that her brother is dating my sister might probably be one of the reasons she’s leaving me alone. My sister is an idiot.”

 

Sandie just listened to them banter while she just idly watched the students fill the room. The teacher has not come in yet even if the bell has already rung and the students buzz are going an octave higher. She saw Donghae come in and sat next to his friends at the front smiling. Sandie watched him. Just studying him with scrutinizing eyes as he chatted with his friends. Well, he did look pretty good. He looked clean, smart… if looks coud actually have a smell, she guessed he would smell so freakin’ good. He’s the male version of her sister, actually, if she had to sum him up.

 

She heard giggles and she turned to Darie’s friends.

 

“Give it a rest for a minute,” Minzy said. “He’s close to melting.”

 

“Huh?” She doesn’t understand what they’re talking about.

 

HyunA rolled her eyes at the look of cluelessness on Sandie’s face. “You, openly staring at Donghae Lee.” She giggled some more. “I guess confessing to him is making you liberated.”

 

Sandie just lifted the corner of , her mind unable to come up with a comment. What is wrong with staring at someone anyway? She could never really understand that rule. Both of Darie’s friends just giggled when Sandie turned to watch Donghae again. Just merely thinking, trying to come up with an answer for an unkown question. She suddenly smirked when Jessica c

ame in flanked by her posse. She smiled widely at Donghae who courteously greeted her back. Jessica sashayed to her seat but not before throwing a deathly glare over at Sandie’s direction. Sandie just responded with a sweet smile knowing it’ll piss her off more.

 

“I heard from my aunt that Donghae’s grades are falling a little bit behind in math,” Minzy was saying as Sandie tuned in. “You know my aunt is working with the school superintendent, right? She heard them discussing Donghae Lee yesterday.”

 

Sandie turned to her looking a bit surprised. “Falling behind? Like… flunking?” That seemed to be impossible.

 

“No, not flunking. More like… he’s not getting the grades that is required to be accepted in Harvard.”

 

“He’s going to Harvard?” Oh god the amount of nerdity in here is overwhelming.

 

“That was his plan,” Minzy added. “But he’s struggling in Math. My aunt says it’s actually his most weak subject.”

 

HyunA snorted. “If getting a B Plus in Math is considered a weak point, then what is it called for me? My death sentence? The highest grade I got on this stupid subject was a C.”

 

Sandie pursed her lips suddenly fighting the urge to laugh at this conversation. Well, if Math is Donghae’s weak point and HyunA’s death sentence then it’s probably a burial for her. She has not gotten any grades higher than D on this subject as far as she can remember.

 

“Well, I guess that’s the reason he’s looking so stressed,” HyunA added. “I heard Kyuhyun was helping him.” 

 

Now who’s this Kyuhyun? Before they can continue the conversation, the teacher walked in signalling the end of the buzz and Sandie leaned back in her seat. Ugh. Another utterly boring hour.

 

The teacher droned on about numbers and some angles that Sandie can’t really understand as her eyes are glazing over from sheer boredom. She had been fighting the urge to let her head fall donw on the desk to snore off. As it was, her head is slightly nodding off the more she tried to keep her eyes open.

 

“Now, who can answer this for me?” The teacher asked.

 

“Oh Mrs. Lewis!” A voice called out. Everyone was shocked to find Jessica Jung raising her hand up. Even the teacher looks surprised.

 

“Yes, Miss Jung.” The teacher nodded for her inspite of being shocked to have one of the most inattentive student to answer a complicated math equation.

 

“Oh, I didn’t mean to be the one to answer,” Jessica said sweetly. “I volunteer Darie Park to answer  since she seemed to know more about this.”

 

Sandie’s eyes snapped open but did not look at Jessica spouting her nonsense. She was sleepy but she had enough wits about her to understand exactly what she is trying to say.

 

“She seemed to know about this because i saw her sleeping while you're teaching us the formula ," Jessica continued sweetly.

 

Sandie rolled her tongue on her cheek. Jessica Jung is really asking to be killed. The teacher looked at her with raised brows as if in question like she can't believe Darie Park would sleep in a class and she needs Darie herself to deny that.

 

All the students are looking at her now.

 

“Well, go on Darie,” Jessica prodded almost sarcastically. “Answer the problem so we would be blown off by how smart you are.” 

 

Sandie didn’t move and HyunA and Minzy are looking at her with puzzled expressions, probably thinking that this should be easy on her and they can’t understand her hesitation. Well, for Darie it is. Not for her. She clenched her jaw and smiled sweetly up at the teacher.

 

“Of course,” she said standing up. “I am so glad to be so kindly reminded Jessica. You’re such a sweet friend.” She gave Jessica a sickly sweet smile before going over to the front of the class. What was the teacher’s name again? Ah yes. “Mrs. Lewis, I wanted to dicuss this with you after class but since Jessica has already started it, you know me being smart and all….” She let out a little dainty laugh, like the one Darie would’ve given. “I heard that our president is having a little difficulty with Math.” She looked at Donghae who looked at her with his forehead creased. “Is that right? Well, of course that little difficulty being probably the best of what the rest of the students here can give on your wonderful subject, which is of course why this is my favorite class, I think it’ll be more prudent for me to tutor Donghae Lee. After all, smart students needs to stick together, right?” She turned to Mrs. Lewis with a winning smile.

 

Mrs. Lewis who seemed to forget about the equation she was asking to be answered looked like she was considering what Sandie is offering.

 

“I just wanted to help my fellow student,” Sandie said seriously. “I would’ve done the same for anyone.” She faced the rest of the class and Jessica looked more than ready to kill her.

 

“I think that’s a great idea. Do you still have time to tutor Donghae? I believe your schedule has been full packed from what I heard,” Mrs. Lewis said.

 

“Oh,” Sandie said waving a hand dismissively over Mrs. Lewis’ concern over her schedule. “I can always find time to help a student in need.” She gave Donghae a grin who doesn’t look too pleased in his seat.

 

They can hear the students softly giggling and Sandie knew it was due to the confession that happened yesterday. She doesn’t know if the teachers are just acting ignorant or just doesn’t seem to care about a teenager’s complicated student life.

 

“Mrs. Lewis,” Donghae said. “I don’t want to bother Darie with my… struggles. Kyuhyun can help me just fine.” 

 

“It’s really nothing Donghae,” Sandie said. “I really want to help you. I’m not sure I trust Kyuhyun with your future grades.”

 

The tall guy sitting beside Donghae cleared his throat. “I’m not sure if I was just insulted.” 

 

Oh, so that’s Kyuhyun. Sandie gave him a smile. “No offense, Kyuhyun. I’m sure you are an excellent student but don’t you have your own grades and your own subject to think about?” 

 

“Uh…” 

 

Donghae glared at his friend before looking at the teacher. “Mrs. Lewis, I can really manage. Kyuhyun—“

 

“Then can you answer the problem on the board?” Sandie cheered at herself for hitting two birds in one stone. Sometimes, the brilliancy of her mind astounds her.

 

Donghae let out an exasperated sigh before standing up and taking the marker from Sandie’s hand. He wrote the solution on the board and Sandie was glancing surreptitiously at the teacher looking for any signs of disapproval or satisfaction. God, please let it be correct! She doesn’t want to end up answering the problem herself.

 

After Donghae was done, Sandie felt relieved when Mrs.Lewis smiled. “That is corre—“

 

“That is correct!” Sandie hurried on before Mrs. Lewis can finish. “Kyuhyun taught you well. I guess you don’t need my help after all.” She started to turn to walk towards her seat but Kyuhyun’s voice stopped her.

 

“Uh… I guess Darie can teach Donghae.” 

 

“What?” Both Donghae and Sandie said at the same time. 

 

“I think i… might be busy with my own school work. Sorry.” He gave Donghae an apologetic look.

 

“Alright,” Mrs Lewis said. “Donghae, Darie, and Kyuhyun. Please get to my office after school and we’ll discuss this.”

 

Donghae just sighed before returning to his seat and Sandie pasted a smile on her face even if she felt like it was hanging from . She ignored the pointed arrows that are flinging to her from Jessica’s glare. Great. What did she get herself into this time?

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter