CHAPTER 2

She's My Girl
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Darie took a deep breath as she waited for her mother to finish her conversation with someone she has been talking to on the phone since they went inside the car to take them to the reading of her grandfather’s will the next morning. Her mother’s phone is ringing constantly, cutting off what Darie is planning to discuss with her. She clasped her hands neatly on her lap as she listened to her mother argue with someone on the phone and refrained herself from sighing exasperatedly when her mother finally said good bye to whoever is calling her.

 

“I’m sorry, dear,” her mother apologized. “What were you saying?”

 

Darie looked at her mother and started again. “I was wondering if you already considered what we discussed yesterday.”

 

Her mother’s brows furrowed. “About?”

 

Darie sighed inwardly. “About me getting a car of my own?”

 

“What’s wrong with Richard driving you?” Her mother looked even more perplexed and Darie’s shoulders sagged. This is exactly what her mother responded yesterday when she brought up the idea.

 

“Mom, I’m going to be 18!” She felt so ridiculous when she responded the exact same line she had responded yesterday as well. “All of my friends drive their own cars and it’s so embarassing to always catch a ride with them because Richard is nowhere to be found.”

 

“That’s because you’re not calling him,” her mother said. “He’s your designated driver and it’s his job to drive you. Why would you want to drive? Trust me, it’s exhausting.”

 

“Mooom!” She stopped her voice from becoming too whiney. “I’m practically an adult. I can’t believe you let me be chauffeured around like a kindergarten.”

 

“It’s for your own protection,” her mother responded smoothing out Darie’s hair. “I will be a lot more assured of your safety if I know Richard’s with you.”

 

“Mom—“

 

“Alright, fine. I’ll think about it,” her mother said dismissively as she checked her phone again.

 

It took a lot of effort for Darie not to kick out her feet in frustration. “You told me that yesterday.”

 

“I did?” Her mother said distractedly.

 

Darie sighed heavily and loudly. “Dad is letting Sandie drive on her own. Why can’t you?”

 

“I’ll have to talk to your dad about that. I can’t believe he did that,” her mother said her forehead creasing. “And a motorbike?” She shook her head. “That is more dangerous than a car. Why can’t your father use his head for once?” Then her phone rang and she answered it immediately leaving the discussion hanging again.

 

“Because he knows we’ve got to grow up sometime,” Darie said even if her mother is too focused on her phone call to hear that. She rested her chin in her hand as she watched the car whizzed past with a pouting look. Sometimes she really envy Sandie’s freedom to do whatever she wants while she have to be restricted in things her mother is permitting her to do. She understands her mom, of course. What with her dad being a triad leader, being kidnapped when she and Sandie were eight, being hounded by her father’s enemies. She almost got kidnapped again when she was a freshman but Richard, her designated Chauffuer who is surprisingly very strong despite his lean frame, had fought them off earning her mother’s absolute trust.

 

Her mom almost went ballistic on her dad on the phone though. Even more so when she found out that Sandie almost got kidnapped too at the same time. After that, she became a lot more paranoid and hired really burly agents as her body guards. She didn’t know what her dad do with Sandie’s protection but she’s pretty sure it’s not as exaggerated as what her mom did. Seriously? Going to the library requires absolute protection??

 

When her father became the triad leader and gained power of the organization, the attempts of harm on them receded. In fact, she doesn’t think there are any attempts at all. So she doesn’t understand why her mom can’t ease up. She sighed again. Yes, she really does envy Sandie sometimes….

 

….Or not.

 

She balked at the motorcycle that her twin is driving when they arrived almost at the same time Sandie did. It was too big and she wondered how her twin can ride all that metal without toppling over. Sheesh. Her mother was right. What was her father thinking? But then again, she can never understand her twin. From the minute they stepped into grade school, she’s becoming too weird for her to comprehend that meeting up is becoming less and less exciting until it became nothing more than an obligation set up by their parents. Sandie no doubt felt the same way as she looked like she had bitten something sour whenever she looks at her from head to toe. She could only scoff at that thinking she is the normal looking one between the two of them while she looked like she got out of a teenage prison.

 

Sandie parked the bike next to where the car –where her mother and her twin is undoubtedly in –

stopped to and took the helmet off her head. She watched as Darie stepped out of the car looking so… immaculate… like no dirt is ever allowed to come near her. Darie had a slight frown in her forehead as she smoothed out her already pressed-to-perfection skirt and regarded Sandie with silent disapproval over her choice of clothes which is tattered black jeans, knee-high boots, and body hugging knitted turtleneck sleeveless shirt. Darie’s hair was probably ironed down to fall so straight at her back with that horrendous headband again while Sandie had hers flapping in the wind with reddish streaks.

 

“Dad allowed you to ride that?” Darie said almost incredulously as she closed the door of the car.

 

Sandie opened to answer but their mom who slid out of the car on the other end of Darie’s looked at her bike with utter disapproval.

 

“Where is your father?” she demanded.

 

Sandie rolled her eyes along with Darie’s because they both knew it’s gonna be another round of argument between their parents who seems to take their hobby in contradicting each other every chance they get. Sandie got off her bike while holding the helmet. “He said he was already here when I called.” She turned her head around searching for any sign of her father.

 

Her mother marched over to her and held out her hand. “Give me the keys.”

 

Sandie blinked. “Keys for…?” she said carefully knowing exactly which keys her mother is talking about.

 

“This… thing,” her mother said in a disapproving tone as if her beloved bike is an abomination. “Your father should’ve known better than to give you this… this!”

 

Sandie stepped away from her mom’s reach while shaking her head. “Give it a break, mom. I spent all week badgering dad for this only for you to take it away? Hoh no.”

 

Darie just watched Sandie as she shook her head at their mom then turning around and felt almost a slight feeling of envy. Why can her sister defy their overbearing mom and she can’t?

 

“Sandie Park! Don’t you turn your back on me!” Her mom practically growled after Sandie who is already walking briskly towards the entrance of the building with the helmet swinging in her hand and her hair fluttering in the wind as she hurried away.

 

Her mother sighed exasperated with her nostrils flaring as she placed her phone in her pocket. “Your sister is becoming more and more like your father,” she said disapprovingly as she started to walk towards the entrance.

 

Darie rolled her eyes because her mother is always saying that everytime she sees her twin but she never could do anything about it because Sandie always do whatever she wants whether their mom or their dad approves or not.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Reading of their grandfather’s will had been brief. It was mostly for their mom who had inherited the fortune since she was the only daughter. Mr. Park, who they had found smoking a cigarrette on the hallway had muttered why he was needed to be present when he was not a relative. As it happens, he was included on the will, with the old man giving him a big property in Seoul with a quote that he had been spending too much time in Hyunsuk City and should explore other cities in the country as well. Their mother didn’t protest on that and their father just swung his chair slightly from left to right looking bored as if he doesn’t care about the will at all.

 

Their grandfather had given each of the twins a hefty amount of money that will be given to them upon their 18th birthday as well as a property in some location they didn’t even know existed.

 

When the last of the item has been read out by the tall serious-looking lawyer, he closed the folder in front of him and looked around the table. “Are there any questions?”

 

They all had their similar versions of saying none by shaking heads. The lawyer looked satisfied but as they thought it’s already over, the lawyer stopped them from standing up by raising his palm up. “There is one last wish from Mr. Kim.”

 

They all sat down again wondering what else it could be.

 

“It’s for his granddaughters,” the lawyer said looking from their father to their mother. “The twins.”

 

Sandie raised her brows and Darie looked at Sandie questioningly wondering what else their grandfather had to give them.

 

The lawyer brought out a disc from the envelope beneath the folder he had open a while ago and turned to the player.

 

“Mr. Kim wanted to deliver this in video and preferred for his granddaughters to hear his wishes,” the lawyer said pressing a button on the remote. They all looked at the television as the disc played and the twins grandfather, the old tycoon, sitting on a plush chair looking so frayed and wrinkled but wearing a big smile on his face.

 

“Is it recording now?” he had asked the one who’s behind the camera.

 

“Yes, sir,” the voice answered who is probably one of his assistants.

 

Mr. Kim cleared his throat while adjusting his back on the chair before looking directly into the camera with his big grin.

 

“To my beloved dear, beautiful granddaughters,” he began. “I assume I’m already dead if you are watching this. Well… I’m actually recording this because I know I’m going to be dead anytime soon. I don’t think I could get any older than this and I would beg for someone to kill me if I live another year with all this joint pains.” He chuckled at that before looking at the camera again. “Your mother and your father has been giving me headaches ever since their divorce. God I’d give anything to let them feel the headache but I’m pretty sure you girls will avenge me. So be at your most stubborn and the most hardheaded kids this country will ever have okay?”

 

Darie slightly grimaced while Sandie grinned. Their grandfather has always been very jovial and easy going as if nothing bothers him.

 

“You might be wondering what this video is all about. I presume my lawyer has already read my will out to you. Are you happy?” He laughed heartily at that then end up coughing before continuing. “There is one more thing which I wanted to give to my little girls. There is nothing like this and I could imagine the joy that will be on my girls’ faces once they received it.” He looked directly at the camera. “Sandie, Darie, I want to give this to you. Only for you two and I can assure you that you girls will be the only two people who would ever have this.” Then the old man grinned widely as if something is amusing him. “But only if you do one thing for me. A condition. In order to get this. You really didn’t think I would give it to you that easily, did you?” He cackled loudly making Sandie and Darie look at each other in exasperation. They knew something’s up the minute their grandfather started with all that talk about wanting to give them something. Their grandfather loves nothing but using them for his utter amusement. Playing pranks here and there it’s making both of them absolutely crazy.

 

“Now, I don’t want you thinking I’m forcing you to do my condition. It will be up to you if you would want this but if not….” The old man shrugged. “That’s okay. I’m guessing a lot of people will be beyond ecstatic to have this. What is that name of that charity foundation?” He muttered. “I guess I’ll have to instruct my lawyer to give it to them in the event that my granddaughters refused.” Then he looked at the camera as if remembering he was recording a video message. “So girls, this will be your decision. I’m not going to tell you what it is. No one knows. Not even your parents. I’m sure Serena will be wringing my neck if I were alive.” He laughed again. “But this will be worth it for you girls. This is something you both wanted and wished for. And I’m giving it to you only if you do my condition flawlessly.”

 

“Just tell the damn condition already, geez,” Sandie said with a grimace. Aish. Grandpa is such a drama queen. Having a love/hate relationship with their grandfather makes it harder to be patient.

 

“Sandie,” their mother said giving her a look as if she’s still five years old.

 

“My condition will be simple. Really,” the old man said with a big wide grin. “I have no doubt you would be able to do this.” Then he leaned over at the camera as if talking to them directly. “I want you girls to swap your lives for a month.” Then he fell back on his chair laughing as if what he said is amusing him so much it’s hard to stay in his seat.

 

Sandie just watched the television with a blank look not really understanding what her grandfather had just said or what is it that made him laugh so hard.

 

“He wants to say what?” Sandie asked with furrowed brows while Darie leaned back on her seat crossing her arms over her chest obviously understanding what is causing their grandfather utter happiness from the television.

 

“He wants us to live each others’ lives for a month,” Darie explained as if Sandie is an idiot for not understanding it.

 

“Sandie will be Darie and Darie will be Sandie,” their grandfather after he got over his hysterics. “Your parents would probably be thrilled to spend time with you for a full solid month without all those traveling way across the two cities just to see the other twin. Isn’t that fun? Anyway, yes. That’s my condition. Live as the other.”

 

Their mother looked at the TV then at the lawyer in disbelief. “That is so ridiculous!”

 

Their father just chuckled silently in his seat, his fingers drumming on the table and Sandie knew he was itching to get out so he could smoke again.

 

The lawyer looked blankly at their mother. “I agree Ms. Park but I can’t exactly contradict my client’s wishes.”

 

“Wait wait wait,” Sandie said finally getting it. “Grandpa wants us to swap lives? Like, swap?” She pointed bac kand forth between her and Darie looking questioningly at the lawyer.

 

“Yes,” Darie snapped. Sometimes her twin can be so slow sometimes. “Exchange, substitute, switch, trade. What synonym would you want?”

 

“Shut up,” Sandie told her twin with a dry look.

 

“Utterly ridiculous!” Their mother continued still looking at the lawyer. “Father is completely out of his sanity when he made this!”

 

“Of course no one should find out about this,” their grandfather continued silencing their mother’s tirade as her eyes went back to the TV. “If anyone find out that the one is not the other, then this whole thing will be void, you won’t receive this last inheritance and you won’t ever know what it is. That is, of course, if you girls agree to it.” Then he shook his head with a grin.  “Don’t think about fooling me, girls. You think no one’s going to know but I have planted spies everywhere, even at your school. It could be your friend, your enemy, your teachers, the janitors… anyone could be my spy so one slip, one report to my lawyer, and this whole thing will be over.”

 

“How can we know this inheritance is even worth it to go through this idea?” Darie said with her forehead creased.

 

“Of course you might think how would you know if this is even worth all that trouble,” their grandfather continued answering Darie. “You won’t. That’s the excitement of it. I would bet on your curiousity to make all this worth it.”

 

They all just gaped at the screen with their mouths open in disbe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter